People you got IN Scientology

Veda

Sponsor
Did you ever get them OUT?

scientology-image_0.jpg

If not, are they still IN?

Does that bother you?

Do you ever hear from them?

Have you written them off? or do you hope to some day extricate them from Scientology?

ThetanExterior

Gold Meritorious Patron
In my 15+ years as a public scientologist I didn't recruit a single person.

It was tough having to suffer the taunts of being a dilettante and the threats of being sent to ethics for not wearing my hat as a Field Staff Member but I was determined not to subject anyone else to the madhouse I was in. My goal was to stay away from staff members as much as possible and get myself up the Bridge. I didn't realise the Bridge was just as full of BS as the orgs themselves.

ThetanExterior, I can echo that sentiment from my Christian/Catholic days. I was part of a group that actively evangelized people, even strangers, and I never felt comfortable about being a salesman for Christ. It wasn't sold to ME that way in the first place...I was drawn in more through relationships that I admired, not because someone preached to me. Even when I was part of a ministry to AIDS patients on their death beds, I found myself unable to do anything more than listen to them and just be with them. I was supposed to have them repent of whatever got them in that state, and if necessary, baptize them. :)

DagwoodGum

Squirreling Dervish
My best friend Paul from high school followed me in, in fact he just showed up at my door 6 states away unannounced and got on lines. We were both recruited by a blown Sea Org reg prick from ASSHO starting in Jr High who was the older brother of one of our "friends" - a real fuck of a person too- who's still in pissing away his inheritance at Flag. Good!
Paul went insane and killed himself though. He wasn't insane in high school, just problematic and I could see the cracks forming as he got involved with strange people through his art classes and began obsessively painting demonic paintings of mutilated bodies, inspired by Salvatore Dali, and would laugh hysterically that they freaked me out.
People liked him though and he spent years out in L.A. & San Diego, married for awhile to another Scientologist who ripped off his parents who'd lent her most of their savings to get through OT3.
He worked at a jewelry store in Hollywood owned by a Scientologist named Brian and he loved meeting celebrities!
He had written me a letter of disconnection after I was publicly out, I laughed with delight actually!
Years later he was hearing voices telling him to kill himself and tried but was put in a special care home by his dad, who came to my house and tried to talk me into taking him but I was married and my wife sensed he was bad news.
So he's gone now, maybe for his own good.
I'm so glad that I was never sure enough about Scientology to try to get any family or other friends involved as I'd seen the cracks early on especially as the price increases started.
There, that's more than I thought I'd say about it.

Last edited:

pineapple

Silver Meritorious Patron
I got a few people to come in for a lecture early in my scn career while I was still public, but none ever started a course. In my early days on staff I body-routed a few people in (I sucked at body-routing), but none of them ever started either. Maybe a few bought a DMSMH as the price of escape. But I actually never got anyone into scn AFAIK.

In my later days I was an ARCX auditor and tried to recover blown staff and public. I got some into session but never succeeded at getting anyone to come back. While they were giving me their reasons for not wanting to come back I was thinking to myself, "Yeah, I hear you." Rather than me recovering them, it was more like they were slowly pulling me out.

DagwoodGum

Squirreling Dervish
Wow, Dagwood, thanks for sharing. How many similar stories there must be from Sci and other cults...
Thanks a lot!
What I should clarify is that when I said "So he's gone now, maybe for his own good" it was because he had become somewhat of a monster and lost all of his personality after his failed first suicide attempt.
He had thrown himself off a staircase head first onto the cement floor below after believing his "bt's" were demanding he kill himself for molesting his younger sister back in High School.
He said years later that he found out about "bt's" through papers he'd seen in their apartment during the divorce with his ex wife as I don't think he'd ever actually received any auditing in all the years he was in.
I never knew about the stuff with his sister, just finger exploration stuff, till he told me one of the last times I ever saw him as he wanted to get it off his chest and so I knew why his sister who lives near me and teaches in the same school system as my ex wife who knows her, won't let him near their property and especially her children.
He had a lot of brain surgery to save his life and his balding head was now misshapen with a huge scar.
He had previously been a semi normal, semi good looking enough guy to fit in with others but had severely damaged portions of his brain removed and he was not the same guy anymore.
Now he had become somewhat of a freak and he knew it according to his mother who told me some other things about him that I never suspected that I won't make public but now he's gone, maybe for his own good.
And he was a miserable mess his last years on earth.
I have never witnessed such a tragedy and seen such sad effects upon the nicest family I've ever met, before or since in my life.
Too nice as they lent his bitch ex wife from Albuquerque their savings so she was able to get through OT3, saw it was all bullshit, divorced Paul, caving him in and went back to New Mexico never paying back Paul's parents.
This all stemmed from having a Scientology family moving in by us back in 7th grade and converting us from our former religions.
And what Hell has rained down upon us!

Last edited:

Voodoo

Free Your Mind And Your Ass Will Follow
I brought lots of people into contact with Scientology during my time with the cult, but only two stuck, which was my mom and one of my brothers.

My brother went on to have four kids, all grown now, and all dedicated cult members. Two are even in the Sea Org, along with their dad, who rejoined the SO a number of years back.

Needless to say, they all instantly disconnected from me the minute I resigned from the church.

Irayam

Patron with Honors
As I was not sure enough about the validity of the tech, I was not a very good FSM.

I tried to disseminate to less than 10 people and tried to sold some DMSMH (sold maybe also less than 10) during my 12 years as a scientologist.
Unfortunately, I have been successful, at the beginning of my "career", with my then girlfriend who became my wife. She was so thrilled by $cientology, that she became staff in our class IV org...

We divorced after some years, she married another guy, had 2 children.
As far as I know she's still in the cult like her 2 children too, probably.

I think about this situation time to time and feel ashamed and guilty.
I'm ready to help her if one day she knock on my door...

I hope nobody else became a clam because of me.

Irayam

No One

a girl is no one
I brought lots of people into contact with Scientology during my time with the cult, but only two stuck, which was my mom and one of my brothers.

My brother went on to have four kids, all grown now, and all dedicated cult members. Two are even in the Sea Org, along with their dad, who rejoined the SO a number of years back.

Needless to say, they all instantly disconnected from me the minute I resigned from the church.
I can't imagine why anyone would ever go back in the Sea Org after successfully getting out whether they remained in Scientology or not.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
I can't imagine why anyone would ever go back in the Sea Org after successfully getting out whether they remained in Scientology or not.
Yeah, but many do. I guess it's "the star-high goal", the whole save-the-universe guilt trip, which justifies putting up with a whole load of relatively-insignificant personal discomfort. It's a brilliant con on people of good will.

Paul

Xenu Xenu Xenu

Patron Meritorious
I was responsible for getting at least two people into the cult. I was ''on staff''. To this day I can't believe all the stupid things I did in the name of Scientology. Hubbard's cult had me jumping through hoops like a trained dog.

I know one of them is still in the cult spending tons of money and time on one huge nothing after another. I feel so ashamed about this but I know I am powerless to do anything to change this. All I can do is inoculate others before this cult gets their hands on them.

Exesso

Bitter Apostate
I only ever got one person in off the street. I was trying to complete my Academy Level I and didn't have a PC for the auditing at the end. As an act of desperation on (naturally) Thursday morning, I went to the Hollywood test center and found a young woman who was, a) free for the next few hours, b) willing to receive "counselling" I was offering, and c) willing to get in a car with a stranger to go back to big blue and try it. She was very kind and responded well. We finished and she would occasionally show up to my org looking for me because she felt "brighter" (her words) after my sessions. The funny anicdote here was that my Deputy Commanding Officer accused me of being "out-2D" with her--because why else would she keep showing back up? They didn't even believe in their own tech!! I handed her off to LA Org to hook up with some Dianetics student auditing and never followed up. I sincerely hope that she didn't stay with it. It's unlikely she did though. She wasn't exactly in the proper tax bracket to go further.

Voodoo

Free Your Mind And Your Ass Will Follow
In my brother's case, he aged out of the job market in his particular trade, and was in a terrible financial pickle (of his own making).

When he first left the Sea Org in 1983 (after ten years of service), he was 27 and didn't know 'shit from Shinola' about how to navigate real life. My mom took him in, and I hired him onto my crew at my place of work.

In short order he became my most reliable, hardest working junior, which is kinda par for the course for ex-SO. He learned the trade and went on to excel at it. He wound up staying in that trade for thirty years, while he and his wife raised a family, always working for Scientologist-owned businesses. Sadly, he never strived to learn any other hats in the field. As he grew older, he became less and less desirable as an employee, due to the fact that he only knew how to do one specialized function in the industry, and there were tons of young bucks willing to do his job for much less pay.

Meanwhile, his marriage had fallen apart and he was on his own, trying to re-invent his life as a single man. Just as when he'd left the SO in '83, he found himself cast into a life situation he was totally unprepared to deal with, except this time, I could not help him overcome it. He was locked into a dead end of his own making.

Essentially, he never escaped the mindset that had been imprinted on him during the decade he spent in the Sea Org. During the thirty years he was out, he continued to operate in the same way - like an indentured servant, lashed to the yoke, doggedly grinding away for other masters, who were all too happy to let him slave away in the same labor intensive position, year after year, after year. As with the SO, as soon as he showed a bit of aging, they turned him out to pasture without a thank you or any kind of safety net.

It's just another example of 'the prison of belief' at work. He ran back to the SO out of fear because he just could not unhook himself from the institutional yoke that bound him to that one job. He simply couldn't reach beyond his narrow existence to find different work - and so he failed.

I don't know whether he's considered what will happen to him when the Sea Org no longer finds him useful. He's got to know that the day will come when he's incapable of pulling the long hours and all nighters. I'm sure he's seen old timers off-loaded in their elderly years. Maybe he's under some delusion that there's an old folks home for retired Sea Org vets? I have no idea.

Karakorum

supressively reasonable
Sadly, I recruited quite a few people.

I guess the one that is most stuck in my memory is a girl I recruited during my last years in Scn (I guess at that point I mostly did it to get off the hook and push away the various pressures and suspicions building up around me). Her name was S_.

She was in a group of 3 girls from a yoga class (yeah I was doing yoga at the same time I was still in Scn, guess what?) that I got to take a personality test and some dianetics. Two left pretty quickly after one course or something like that. S_ stuck around.

I guess a big part of her reason to stay was because her family situation was bad, she was also horribly bullied as a teenager. When I left, she was still in, even thinking about SO.

I had no news about her since (I tried to cut myself away from anything Scn, didn not keep track of anyone tbh).

I'm not proud of doing that to her, still bothers me.

S_, if you blow, or somehow get to read this - I'm sorry. I know saying sorry won't help any, but I want you to know this regardless.

Last edited: