What's new

A Question About Non-Sci's & The E-Meter

klidov

Silver Meritorious Patron
I have a question about something I saw once. This happened easily about 10 years ago.

I was home during the day, and I was flipping through cable channels desperate for something that was not mind numbing to watch. (I know, exercise in futility, right?:D ).

Anyway, I find this local (Clearwater) cable access channel where this guy wearing a hat cam (or something) was walking around downtown, trying to get Scientologists in front of the Ft. Harrison Hotel to talk to him.

(It was long ago, but I remember the Man had a slight Aussie sounding accent. And, of course, we weren't seeing him, we were seeing what he was looking at).

Anyway, it is real easy to tell who the Scientologists were, because of the white shirts, and dark blue/black pants. And they walk FAST!

Well, it caught my attention because, to be honest, the Lisa McPherson episode had already happened, and I wouldn't have minded seeing the Church get a little egg on it's face. (I am being honest here.....).

Anyway, this girl was sitting around one of those brick planters, with what looked like a small suitcase, and she opens it up, and it's an E-Meter!!!

I had never seen one before, except on the Internet. Well, this Guy who was narrating/filming gets real excited and says "......look! She's opened her e-meter here on the street! I don't think they are allowed to do that!", and he starts trying to engage her in conversation.

"Hey Miss, is that your e-meter?". She real quietly says something the mic did not pick up. But the case was still open, so we could see the e-meter real closely.

Suddenly, another female (also in a white shirt & dark blue/black pants) runs over, slams the lid shut, takes the girl who was sitting down firmly by the elbow, and starts to frog-march her off.

The Guy who was filming starts trying to ask questions".....who are you? Is she in trouble....? Why won't you talk to me....?"

And the Woman who had come over, shoots the camera (our view) a filthy look and says "Do we make fun of you? How many children have you touched?",.

:omg:

Well, I was shocked. And the interviewer/guy filming says "I'll bet that's gonna cost her".

Well, you have to remember. From the outside looking in, the whole incident was really odd. But then again, I am sure if an outsider tried to get a look at Mormon Temple Garments, or something someone else considered "sacred", there would be a similar reaction.

Any questions, or comments on what I saw, I would appreciate.

klidov

btw-I am not mocking.....I really wondered if that Girl was going to get in trouble.

klidov

one more question:

How could she get in trouble, when there is a picture of John Travolta using an e-meter that was published in magazines?

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
There's nothing particularly 'secret' about the e-meter, but, there is a very 'religious' fanaticism about 'SPs' having anything to do with one. Kind of like a heathen touching the host for a catholic.

For a Scientologist, there is no real excuse for it, because, even theoretically, it's just a piece of equipment, but, the fact remains that Scientologists get very edgy when non-scientologists are around an e-meter.

It's one reason that the 'Church' has gone to great lengths (and frauds) to prevent the sale of e-meters on ebay, for example (now no longer possible) or why the 'Church' actually *steals* e-meters back from expelled members.

Does it make sense?

No.

Zinj

Anon678_

Patron
The version of scientology the celebrities get is not the one the staff and general public get. Different rules too, of course. If you weren't ridiculously cyncial before you started looking at this stuff closely - You will be soon.

programmer_guy

True Ex-Scientologist
klidov,

Not knowing more details makes my remarks pure speculation.

She was there by herself alone with an e-meter?

Possibility #1:
She had been assigned a lower ethics condition sometime prior to her going to the street with her e-meter (to set up for stress tests?).
She decided that this was a way to work out her lower ethics condition.

Possibility #2:
She was assigned to do stress tests on the street and was being watched closely by a superior. She was screwing it up (i.e. didn't have her TRs "in") and was marched off quickly.

Zinjifar

Possibility #2:
She was assigned to do stress tests on the street and was being watched closely by a superior. She was screwing it up (i.e. didn't have her TRs "in") and was marched off quickly.

Variation B-27e - She had 'pulled in' a suppressive J&Der with a camera. Always a bad sign and subject to ethics actions.

Zinj

anonmom

Patron with Honors
Kildov, I think this was one of those cult-watch shows that I have heard of in Clearwater. Of course, the scientologists don't want to provide any interesting footage for the show! But how can they not when they act so differently from the norm? People can't help but watch the antics and think, "What the hell are they doing?". Ex-members just nod and think, "How typical!"

If the girl with the e-meter got in trouble, it wasn't the first or the last time. Getting yelled at is often a daily occurance. Any task, no matter how hard you work at it, is always not enough or outright skrewed up.

After I blew the sea org, my belongings were sent to me by my then husband. I just wanted my personal belongings but my e-meter was included. The needle was completely twisted off as if I wanted to use it! I realized that they never want, a person not in good standing to have an e-meter. I was happy to throw it in the garbage, working or not.

Cat's Squirrel

Gold Meritorious Patron
Kildov, I think this was one of those cult-watch shows that I have heard of in Clearwater. Of course, the scientologists don't want to provide any interesting footage for the show! But how can they not when they act so differently from the norm? People can't help but watch the antics and think, "What the hell are they doing?". Ex-members just nod and think, "How typical!"

If the girl with the e-meter got in trouble, it wasn't the first or the last time. Getting yelled at is often a daily occurance. Any task, no matter how hard you work at it, is always not enough or outright skrewed up.

After I blew the sea org, my belongings were sent to me by my then husband. I just wanted my personal belongings but my e-meter was included. The needle was completely twisted off as if I wanted to use it! I realized that they never want, a person not in good standing to have an e-meter. I was happy to throw it in the garbage, working or not.

Yeah, it's as though they realise that once the "wogs" figure out what one is and what it does - bang goes their monopoly.

That's my theory anyway.

klidov

I really appreciate the insight into what that demonstration was about. The girl was sitting away from other people. She seemed isolated, even though there were people (especially CoS) walking around.

All I can say, is it left an impression on me.

I also appreciate when the members of this board are patient, and answer my questions. *smiles*

On a side note: there are plenty of things that I have been involved with in my own life, and later I wonder ..."what was I THINKING??!>". I can't tell you how many times I felt like I was in a situation too long, or maybe not long enough.

:)

Pixie

Crusader
I really appreciate the insight into what that demonstration was about. The girl was sitting away from other people. She seemed isolated, even though there were people (especially CoS) walking around.

I also appreciate when the members of this board are patient, and answer my questions. *smiles*

On a side note: there are plenty of things that I have been involved with in my own life, and later I wonder ..."what was I THINKING??!>". I can't tell you how many times I felt like I was in a situation too long, or maybe not long enough.

I think it's in general a human condition to remain in situations 'too long'. We ten to get emotionally involved in things, houses, relationships, groups, jobs we don't much like, and it's hard to let go. I too have been involved in many things and asked myself the very same question, and I give myself a hard time over it, however all one can do, well all I can do now is just put these things down to experience and move on. It's easy for me to get 'stuck' in things, and I find it very hard to let go sometimes, from people, from situations.

There is no right or wrong here, and I do believe everything happens for a reason, so really, worrying about it isn't going to change anything except make you feel bad. I also think that sometimes we are in certain situations until we have learned whatever it is that we are supposed to learn, so one can only go with the flow, try not to worry about the future, let the past go and accept that it's happened, and do our best to live in the now and take each day as it comes as a new day and be as grateful as we can because none of us know how much longer we're going to be here.

rich

That video is on youtube. I forget which channel or the tittle. I think it is on several channels.. r.

gomorrhan

Gold Meritorious Patron
I have a question about something I saw once. This happened easily about 10 years ago.

I was home during the day, and I was flipping through cable channels desperate for something that was not mind numbing to watch. (I know, exercise in futility, right?:D ).

Anyway, I find this local (Clearwater) cable access channel where this guy wearing a hat cam (or something) was walking around downtown, trying to get Scientologists in front of the Ft. Harrison Hotel to talk to him.

(It was long ago, but I remember the Man had a slight Aussie sounding accent. And, of course, we weren't seeing him, we were seeing what he was looking at).

Anyway, it is real easy to tell who the Scientologists were, because of the white shirts, and dark blue/black pants. And they walk FAST!

Well, it caught my attention because, to be honest, the Lisa McPherson episode had already happened, and I wouldn't have minded seeing the Church get a little egg on it's face. (I am being honest here.....).

Anyway, this girl was sitting around one of those brick planters, with what looked like a small suitcase, and she opens it up, and it's an E-Meter!!!

I had never seen one before, except on the Internet. Well, this Guy who was narrating/filming gets real excited and says "......look! She's opened her e-meter here on the street! I don't think they are allowed to do that!", and he starts trying to engage her in conversation.

"Hey Miss, is that your e-meter?". She real quietly says something the mic did not pick up. But the case was still open, so we could see the e-meter real closely.

Suddenly, another female (also in a white shirt & dark blue/black pants) runs over, slams the lid shut, takes the girl who was sitting down firmly by the elbow, and starts to frog-march her off.

The Guy who was filming starts trying to ask questions".....who are you? Is she in trouble....? Why won't you talk to me....?"

And the Woman who had come over, shoots the camera (our view) a filthy look and says "Do we make fun of you? How many children have you touched?",.

Well, I was shocked. And the interviewer/guy filming says "I'll bet that's gonna cost her".

Well, you have to remember. From the outside looking in, the whole incident was really odd. But then again, I am sure if an outsider tried to get a look at Mormon Temple Garments, or something someone else considered "sacred", there would be a similar reaction.

The e-meter is not sacred to scientologists. It's just an electronic device that helps locate charged topics or incidents for a person to run by changes in galvanic skin response. This is basic emeter theory. It's considered by scientologists to be sort of similar to a stethoscope. It tells you what's going on below the surface. It's not magic, and it isn't considered holy. Of course, the legal definition is another matter ("religious artifact"), for tax purposes.

It's not a secret, it isn't hidden from the public, and there is no reason why a person would be counseled not to use the thing where people could see it. In fact this is frequently done by scientology staffers on the streets in major cities as part of "stress tests" to get public interest up.

Now, how many children have you touched?

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill

Well, those weren't just any Scn'ists- those were Sea Org members. That's why they had uniforms on.

Anyway, CofS members aren't supposed to let themselves be filmed or interviewed for any media without clearing it with OSA first. With or without the emeter.

Zinjifar

Anyway, CofS members aren't supposed to let themselves be filmed or interviewed for any media without clearing it with OSA first. With or without the emeter.

Which brings up an issue for raids.

If you're talking to a Scientologist, ask them if they have 'Issue Authority'.

Unless they do, they're not supposed to be talking to you.

This is 'communication'

Zinj

programmer_guy

True Ex-Scientologist

Now I've seen the video so I know what you are referring to. (If this is correct.)

In my time in SCN, at the Riverside Mission or at ASHO, I had never seen any Scientologist just sit outside and do stuff with an e-meter. That's weird.

That had nothing to do with stress tests or anything else. This was just her doing her individual thing. I wouldn't put much importance on that. She just did what she did... nothing more.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Which brings up an issue for raids.

If you're talking to a Scientologist, ask them if they have 'Issue Authority'.

Unless they do, they're not supposed to be talking to you.

This is 'communication'

Zinj

Huh? Issue authority is an OK given with regard to a thing, like a written article, an internal memo like a local executive directive, a promo piece, an item of jewellery, a radio or TV ad. Not to people.

It might work as a joke. :)

Paul