What's new

Stories about stupid KRs

Tuppence

Patron
It wasn't just limited to staff either.

This trickled down to the children as well. If a CMO members child was rude, disrespectful, a bully, etc the nanny would not do anything about it, when we (as children) tried to write the KRs as we were directed, nothing happened.

My friend had a Kr written on her because her myspace account was hacked and her profile had a bunch of pictures of lesbians on it. We spent over an hour together trying to convince the ethics officer that she was NOT a lesbian and that someone else had wrote that stuff

NoIdea

Patron with Honors
I was comm-eved once. Went to the CLO EUS and hung around for weeks. I was not allowed to write OWs because I had out-int or something. So someone told me to write KRs on myself instead. Nice loophole.

So I write a bunch of KRs on myself like an idiot.

Then I was told that I shouldn't just write them on myself. There must have been outpoints I saw at the org that I did not confront and I should write KRs on those too.

So I write a bunch of KRs on all the stupid shit that was happening in Boston org. No lack of material there.

Eventually I was told that my comm ev had taken place (without me present) and I should go back to Boston and wait for the results (which never came).

All of my KRs were passed on to Girard Renna, the ED at the time. He brought them all up in his crazy, screaming staff meetings - how some cockroach had written all these KRs about the him and the org rather than taking responsibility. He never named me, but he stared right at me as he was ranting at the top of his lungs about it.

Fun times.

NoIdea

Patron with Honors
My friend had a Kr written on her because her myspace account was hacked and her profile had a bunch of pictures of lesbians on it. We spent over an hour together trying to convince the ethics officer that she was NOT a lesbian and that someone else had wrote that stuff
EXACTLY what a lesbian would say!

LOL and if you guys knew who wrote the KR youd mind blown. Let's just say it was written by a very famous persons kid. So of course the KR was taken seriously even though it was a pile of crap

Karakorum

supressively reasonable
I wrote a 'kr' once on a 'kr' written by some 'dir of comm' in response to my 'kr'. We were both accusing each other of purposefully jamming 'ethics', of course after his 'dev-t report' of my 'dev-t report' (he accused me of causing 'dev-t' by making him write out a 'dev-t report') the 'e/o' hauled us in and told us both to stop being assholes as he ripped up the 'chits'. :duh:
I had exactly such a case. Two people waging a KR war on one another. I did just that - got rid of the shit and told both offenders to get their brains back from the baboon that took them away.
Heck, maybe we are talking about the exact same case, just from opposite perspectives.

A guy at my org would often write a KR on someone for body odour - "out hygiene".
I received such KRs. Though if I remember correctly they were from a female. So might be different person, same issue.

I have tons of stories about KRs.

1. A wife wrote a KR on a husband for not showing her enough affection.
2. Two guys renting one room wrote KRs at one another accusing the other guy of stealing food. I came to the conclusion that the motel has rats.
3. A KR about a stolen replacement e-meter. Turns out the device in question had simply not arrived yet.
4. A KR against a woman accused of too flashy makeup. this got "escalated" and in the end I had to hold what amounted to a symposium explaining what makeup is good and which is verbotten. Crazy. I wanted to kill the woman that made that KR. So much watsed time and effort.
5. A KR about an auditor who threw insults at LRH as a flunk-inducing strategy during bullbaiting (oh that one flew really high and escalated outside my reach. I think he got kicked out in the end. Lucky guy.)
6. A KR accusing a guy of non-scn practices. Turns out guy was talking about tectonics.
7. A wife wrote a KR against her husband accusing him of planning to flee. She fled the next week herself.
8. A KR against a female auditor who burst out in uncontrollable laughter during some OT thing and fell down from her chair and spent something like 10 minutes laughing and rolling on the floor. The one filing felt he will need to pay for the lost time.
9. One where a recruiter accused another one of stealing his recruits.
10. A KR against a guy who she accused of pouring salt into her coffee.
11. A guy KRed his two buddies. They were arguing about something and quoting LRH at one another to prove their point. Dude KRed them because he felt confused after the discussion.
12. A lass KRed a guy because he said he wants to squeeze her boobs.
13. A KR against some person because he wouldn't explain some LHR quote and instead told her to "read the fucking text again".
14. KR against an MAA who told one of the SO to "stop acting like a fucking gaylord" in front of several preclears.
15. A ton of KRs on people who discussed ideas on how to use OT abilities in inapropriate ways.
16. A KR accusing a guy of trying to sabotage the org by 'speaking spanish with a stupid accent'. I had to investigate that one and tried my best to do it with a straight face.
17. A KR against a staff member who was on some sort of cleaning duty, when confronted about something by another person in that org, she pulled down her pants and told him he can kiss her ass (Upon investigation, it turned out she was piss drunk, nobody could explain how she smuggled the booze in).

And of course I received (and trashed) a lot of KRs that had no other purpose than to undermine someone's position so that the one writing the KR could take their place.

I'm pretty sure I could provide many more idiotic examples once I recall them.

Last edited:

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
I had exactly such a case. Two people waging a KR war on one another. I did just that - got rid of the shit and told both offenders to get their brains back from the baboon that took them away.
Heck, maybe we are talking about the exact same case, just from opposite perspectives.

I received such KRs. Though if I remember correctly they were from a female. So might be different person, same issue.

I have tons of stories about KRs.

1. A wife wrote a KR on a husband for not showing her enough affection.
2. Two guys renting one room wrote KRs at one another accusing the other guy of stealing food. I came to the conclusion that the motel has rats.
3. A KR about a stolen replacement e-meter. Turns out the device in question had simply not arrived yet.
4. A KR against a woman accused of too flashy makeup. this got "escalated" and in the end I had to hold what amounted to a symposium explaining what makeup is good and which is verbotten. Crazy. I wanted to kill the woman that made that KR. So much watsed time and effort.
5. A KR about an auditor who threw insults at LRH as a flunk-inducing strategy during bullbaiting (oh that one flew really high and escalated outside my reach. I think he got kicked out in the end. Lucky guy.)
6. A KR accusing a guy of non-scn practices. Turns out guy was talking about tectonics.
7. A wife wrote a KR against her husband accusing him of planning to flee. She fled the next week herself.
8. A KR against a female auditor who burst out in uncontrollable laughter during some OT thing and fell down from her chair and spent something like 10 minutes laughing and rolling on the floor. The one filing felt he will need to pay for the lost time.
9. One where a recruiter accused another one of stealing his recruits.
10. A KR against a guy who she accused of pouring salt into her coffee.
11. A guy KRed his two buddies. They were arguing about something and quoting LRH at one another to prove their point. Dude KRed them because he felt confused after the discussion.
12. A lass KRed a guy because he said he wants to squeeze her boobs.
13. A KR against some person because he wouldn't explain some LHR quote and instead told her to "read the fucking text again".
14. KR against an MAA who told one of the SO to "stop acting like a fucking gaylord" in front of several preclears.
15. A ton of KRs on people who discussed ideas on how to use OT abilities in inapropriate ways.
16. A KR accusing a guy of trying to sabotage the org by 'speaking spanish with a stupid accent'. I had to investigate that one and tried my best to do it with a straight face.
17. A KR against a staff member who was on some sort of cleaning duty, when confronted about something by another person in that org, she pulled down her pants and told him he can kiss her ass (Upon investigation, it turned out she was piss drunk, nobody could explain how she smuggled the booze in).

And of course I received (and trashed) a lot of KRs that had no other purpose than to undermine someone's position so that the one writing the KR could take their place.

I'm pretty sure I could provide many more idiotic examples once I recall them.
From what I remember of the policy on ethics reports, you were supposed to write ethics reports on people violating something from the specific list of crimes, high crimes, etc. Then there was the "Things that shouldn't be" report, about somebody doing something and the writer doesn't know what specific policy was violated but wants to say something anyway. And finally, there was the "knowledge report" which was supposed to be for things that the writer wanted Ethics to know about, but which didn't seem to violate any specific policy.

Over time, the last type of report became the dominant form of report. It had the advantage that you didn't have to actually specify any actual violation of any policy, it was only necessary that the writer was annoyed and didn't like what was happening.

Karakorum

supressively reasonable
From what I remember of the policy on ethics reports, you were supposed to write ethics reports on people violating something from the specific list of crimes, high crimes, etc. Then there was the "Things that shouldn't be" report, about somebody doing something and the writer doesn't know what specific policy was violated but wants to say something anyway. And finally, there was the "knowledge report" which was supposed to be for things that the writer wanted Ethics to know about, but which didn't seem to violate any specific policy.
That's not quite how it looked from the "work end of the ethics alligator" in my region during my time there.

We'd log all ethics incidents, not just KR, into a project management software program, put in all the data of who-what-when, attach all necessary files (including scanned docs from the scanning team) and then assign it to a specific EO. There would then set the case status.

What I'm getting at is that the one logging this in would be the one qualifying how big and urgent the case is. Of course this could change once more facts came up.

For example I could set the case to "decommitted" status, which would be for duplicate cases, simple mistakes, honest reports that turnd out to be blanks or misunderstandings etc.
But there was also the contrasted "trashed" status, which was used when we decided that the KR or incident statement was provided with malicious intent, or that the one who made the report was lying to the CoS. If a person sent too many trashed cases (or a single trashed case of sufficient magnitude), we would open a separate ethics case investigation on that malicious report-maker. Such a separate case would almost always be handled by one of us, not assigned to a local EO.

Also each of us had his own excel file, where we tracked the current cases we are handling, this was on a shared drive.

Last edited:

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
That's not quite how it looked from the "working end of the ethics alligator" in my region during my time there.

We'd log all ethics incidents, not just KR, into a project management software program, put in all the data of who-what-when, attach all necessary files (including scanned docs from the scanning team) and then assign it to a specific EO. There would then set the case status.

What I'm getting at is that the one logging this in would be the one qualifying how big and urgent the case is. Of course this could change once more facts came up.

For example I could set the case to "decommitted" status, which would be for duplicate cases, simple mistakes, honest reports that turnd out to be blanks or misunderstandings etc.
But there was also the contrasted "trashed" status, which was used when we decided that the KR or incident statement was provided with malicious intent, or that the one who made the report was lying to the CoS. If a person sent too many trashed cases (or a single trashed case of sufficient magnitude), we would open a separate ethics case investigation on that malicious report-maker. Such a separate case would almost always be handled by one of us, not assigned to a local EO.

Also each of us had his own excel file, where we tracked the current cases we are handling, this was on a shared drive.
I was talking about how things were in the 80's, thanks for the update on how things are now.

Karakorum

supressively reasonable
I was talking about how things were in the 80's, thanks for the update on how things are now.
Yeah it was my impression that what you mentioned sounded like something before the internet era.

It was always great "fun" for us when something popped up that was tied to a case from before the digital age.

In such case we would need to get ADU and the scanning team to get the actual "analog" data for us. Inevitably, madness ensued. Weird angle scans of documents whose ink faded away two decades ago. Low rez scans of blurry photos of underexposed xerocopies of social security cards and driver licences...

Often the final image file would end up a black rectangle on a grey background. No readable text whatsoever. It was bad enough if we had to go to the actual person for the info. Much worse if that included stuff about deceased or ex-members.

Thankfully the guy above me knew all the problems from experience, as he was involved in that sphere for 15 years, on some top levels previously (he was de-facto demoted back to the position from which he would supervise me). So he did not demand impossible things and knew the ADU and scanning issues.

All in all: When it comes to documentation, I learned a million ways to do things the wrong way. Which, from what I gathered, was the usual experience in Scn found in all sorts of areas and postions.

It was absolutely hilarious to see some of same problems come up in my corporate job "in the big world" after I left scn. As I like to say: "There are only so many ways for stupidity to express itself"

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
Yeah it was my impression that what you mentioned sounded like something before the internet era.

It was always great "fun" for us when something popped up that was tied to a case from before the digital age.

In such case we would need to get ADU and the scanning team to get the actual "analog" data for us. Inevitably, madness ensued. Weird angle scans of documents whose ink faded away two decades ago. Low rez scans of blurry photos of underexposed xerocopies of social security cards and driver licences...

Often the final image file would end up a black rectangle on a grey background. No readable text whatsoever. It was bad enough if we had to go to the actual person for the info. Much worse if that included stuff about deceased or ex-members.

Thankfully the guy above me knew all the problems from experience, as he was involved in that sphere for 15 years, on some top levels previously (he was de-facto demoted back to the position from which he would supervise me). So he did not demand impossible things and knew the ADU and scanning issues.

All in all: When it comes to documentation, I learned a million ways to do things the wrong way. Which, from what I gathered, was the usual experience in Scn found in all sorts of areas and postions.

It was absolutely hilarious to see some of same problems come up in my corporate job "in the big world" after I left scn. As I like to say: "There are only so many ways for stupidity to express itself"
In the corporate world, it's common to bang your head against the wall over some piece of stupidity. At one job, I asked for a piece of equipment to make my job easier. A $200 piece of gear, as compared to what they were paying for my time, would have paid for itself the first week. The manager I was reporting to defended his reluctance to get it as "I would have to submit paperwork to the budget committee, while your time is already budgeted".

That thinking was epidemic in Scientology.

Karakorum

supressively reasonable
In the corporate world, it's common to bang your head against the wall over some piece of stupidity. At one job, I asked for a piece of equipment to make my job easier. A $200 piece of gear, as compared to what they were paying for my time, would have paid for itself the first week. The manager I was reporting to defended his reluctance to get it as "I would have to submit paperwork to the budget committee, while your time is already budgeted".

That thinking was epidemic in Scientology.
Words of wisdom.

The sheer amount of pointless set-in-stone procedural absurdities was enough to drive anyone bonkers. You really needed auditing after going through that bs ;)

At some point in my branch, we just started to openly laugh at some of that. The catchphrase was: "How is it possible that.. <insert whatever bad decision/process just blew up>"

Karakorum

supressively reasonable
I just recalled one more funny story. Its not about any single case though.

There was a person called Leslie who was in my region for a bit over a year (thankfully was then moved somewhere else).

Leslie filed over 400 cases. We actually did the math and it was more than 1 case per day. The overwhelming majority were minor issues that mattered squat, they just got decommited.

This pattern was so pervasive, that we joked about introducing an automatic rule for the system to pre-decommit all of Leslie's cases.

Last edited:

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
I just recalled one more funny story. Its not about any single case though.

There was a person called Leslie who was in my region for a bit over a year (thankfully was then moved somewhere else).

Leslie filed over 400 cases. We actually did the math and it was more than 1 case per day. The overwhelming majority were minor issues that mattered squat, they just got decommited.

This pattern was so pervasive, that we joked about introducing an automatic rule for the system to pre-decommit all of Leslie's cases.
A friend of mine encountered a chit-generating-machine like that. A rational org would have issued a non-enturbulation order on Leslie and told her to either quiet down and get along, or get out.

Karakorum

supressively reasonable
A friend of mine encountered a chit-generating-machine like that. A rational org would have issued a non-enturbulation order on Leslie and told her to either quiet down and get along, or get out.
You know, we actually tried to do something along these lines. We were looking hard to find cases that we would actually trash as opposed to just decommit. Once enough trashed cases accumulated, we'd have a substantiated case to start such a process, or start an investigation into Leslie as a malicious reporter.

The underlying issue was that Leslie's reports were not false, or malicious, or aimed to disrupt. They were simply irrelevant or concerend with minor things (well, minor for us, I know some over-eager local EOs would probably take action on them just to prove that they are not idle).

Thing is: By that point in time, we had pretty strict procedures we had to stick with on what sort of reports can trigger such actions and trashing. Ironically, I was one of the persons behind those more strict procedures - I initially had them introduced to curb overuse of such practices within the ASHOD ethics section. The guys there were a tad bonkers.

So if we would then ignore our own process, we would give a bad example to those below and ASHOD would certainly pick up on that.

I had a Junior that just because he was a "2nd gen Scn" that was why "he knew more than me and that he should of been the Senior" of the area/ - he KR'd my orders and never did them Turned into a huge KR fest between multiple people multiple divisions until finally, he got moved to be a folder I/C in CF, not even a letter reg - his handwritting was unreadable! Everyone hated him there too. Wonder if he still works there.