What's new

Yo, my beautiful thetans.

Voodoo

Free Your Mind And Your Ass Will Follow
I'm not challenging your right to have an opinion and a point of view on scientology, but this is the 'ex scientologist message board'. Most of us are 'ex' because we've grokked that it is a scam and a con, and all I'm saying is that folks such as you and William are simply pissing in the wind posting here. My thought would be 'why bother'? Wouldn't you be happier on a pro-scientology website?
You asking me to leave? I'm not here promoting Scientology, so I don't know what your beef is with me.

I got some good things out of Scientology. You didn't. Different strokes for different folks. Apparently, I'm not alone on this site, nor are you. There are representatives here for both camps.

Karakorum

supressively reasonable
I'm not challenging your right to have an opinion and a point of view on scientology, but this is the 'ex scientologist message board'. Most of us are 'ex' because we've grokked that it is a scam and a con, and all I'm saying is that folks such as you and William are simply pissing in the wind posting here. My thought would be 'why bother'? Wouldn't you be happier on a pro-scientology website?
So what, are you saying we should introduce a formal category of people who are "in good standing" with the ex-scn community? :blink:
Or some sort of "you have to be at least this much anti-scn to ride" terms?

Nah, I don't buy into that. I think Vodoo should be allowed to express his opinion and you have the right to disagree and each provide argument sin favor of his own position.

But you telling Vodoo to go to a different website - that crossess the line into "tought-policing" the way I see it.

strativarius

Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband
So what, are you saying we should introduce a formal category of people who are "in good standing" with the ex-scn community? :blink:
Or some sort of "you have to be at least this much anti-scn to ride" terms?

Nah, I don't buy into that. I think Vodoo should be allowed to express his opinion and you have the right to disagree and each provide argument sin favor of his own position.

But you telling Vodoo to go to a different website - that crossess the line into "tought-policing" the way I see it.
It looks like I'm being misunderstood here. I am not telling Voodoo to go to another website or that he's not welcome here, all I am saying is that this is, after all, a message board for ex scientologists (at least that is what I thought when I first became aware of it, it clearly says 'ex scientologist message board') so coming here extolling the virtues of scientology isn't going to get much traction and is pretty much a waste of time IMO. Speaking personally, I'd rather be on a message board where my views are more acceptable to the majority of people and where I'd get an easier ride that's all. Arguing in favour of the 'tek' just isn't going to sway many people here, so why bother? Just go to a Linux website and try and tell people how wonderful Microsoft is and see what sort of a reception you get.

Last edited:

JustSheila

Crusader
If one believes in Hubbard's dogma, no matter the organization one is affiliated with, one is a member of that religion. If one modifies it a bit or omits a few precepts, then it could be said that one is a member of a schism of the Scientology religion. Just as Catholics and Protestants are all Christians. As long as believers take the dogma, the goals and promised "gains" of Scientology on faith, they are members of the Scientology religion.

However, a person who uses a "touch assist", for instance, because they find it works but doesn't swallow anything else from Hubbard should not be considered a member of the religion.

When a Catholic leaves that church and joins, for instance, the Lutheran church, they don't stop being a Christian. Even those who don't join another denomination but still believe in the Bible and Jesus would still be Christian. It's that way with the Scientology religion as well.
This is a pretty cool way of defining religion and believers, Bill, and seems you put some time into thinking this through. I wish some of the so-called religious experts that like to write long articles could think this clearly.

What Voodoo likes of the lower levels of Scn are things you've also stated were okay in the past. I don't think yours and Voodoo's views are that far from each other, though I don't know why he or anyone else would want to refer to it as Scientology, knowing the better parts of it were stolen or plagiarized or developed by others. Why give any sort of nod at all to a destructive, people-eating cult or its practices?

It's like when a celebrity or current politician states a famous quote from someone from the past and ends up being quoted as if they came up with the saying, or when a famous movie is remade and the current generation only remembers the remake because they never saw the original.

MLK, Jr., for example, was a great speaker, but most of his famous sayings were spinoffs of earlier famous sayings, mainly Biblical concepts. Few people have truly original ideas or are truly creative, they just do spinoffs of others' work. For example:

Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it.
George Santayana
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/topics/repeat

It is the soothing thing about history that it does repeat itself.
Gertrude Stein

History repeats itself. Historians repeat each other.
Philip Guadalla

You can't undo the past... but you can certainly not repeat it.
Bruce Willis

Repeat anything often enough and it will start to become you.
Tom Hopkins
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/topics/repeat

L Ron Hubbard and Scientology will be forgotten in a decade or two like a movie remake made up of bits and pieces of others' movies. I don't give Scientology any credit for the bits and pieces stolen that were good and someone else's creation.
---------------------

By the way, while writing this, I've just discovered George Santayana. :wow: I've got to read more of his stuff, like:

"Experience has repeatedly confirmed that well-known maxim of Bacon's that "a little philosophy inclineth a man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion." At the same time, when Bacon penned that sage epigram... he forgot to add that the God to whom depth in philosophy brings back men's minds is far from being the same from whom a little philosophy estranges them."
https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/George_Santayana

:clap: :clap: :clap: :winner:

Voodoo

It looks like I'm being misunderstood here. I am not telling Voodoo to go to another website or that he's not welcome here...
You told me that I might fit in better with a different online community. Reminds me of what a white real estate salesman told my dad many decades ago when my parents were house shopping: "Son, you might want to look at that new subdivision they're building in Compton. That's where your people are buying."

Didn't matter to that man that my dad was a decorated US Army Captain, or that he was even in uniform at the time, or that my mom was a peanut butter version of Jackie Kennedy who spoke like an English professor, nor did it even occur to him that he and my parents likely had thousands of cultural points of agreement between them.

Nope. They were wearing the wrong 'color', and that's all that mattered.

...all I am saying is that this is, after all, a message board for ex scientologists (at least that is what I thought when I first became aware of it, it clearly says 'ex scientologist message board') so coming here extolling the virtues of scientology isn't going to get much traction and is pretty much a waste of time IMO.
That's called dissembling, my friend. You've been here for a very long time, and know full well that every shade and flavor of ex-Scientologist is represented here. Why, all of a sudden, do I have to leave, because my personal experience with the subject is different than yours? Apparently, it's of no consequence that I publicly resigned from the church, or that I've endured much the same debilitating mistreatment in the church as others have.

Nope. I've made the mistake of being here and communicating some of my better experiences with Scn tech, and now I must be banished for not being in lockstep with your viewpoints.

Feels like 1959 all over again.

Speaking personally, I'd rather be on a message board where my views are more acceptable to the majority of people and where I'd get an easier ride that's all. Arguing in favour of the 'tek' just isn't going to sway many people here, so why bother? Just go to a Linux website and try and tell people how wonderful Microsoft is and see what sort of a reception you get.
Yeah, that's the ticket. Just a helpful suggestion on your part, I'm sure. Should I go looking for a 'Colored People Only' drinking fountain now, or should I wait for @Emma to chime in?

Last edited:

Karakorum

supressively reasonable
To be fair, he's not atatckign you becaus eof your skin color but because of your stated beliefs. I'm not saying he's right, but his position should not be equated with things like racism.

That's called dissembling, my friend. You've been here for a very long time, and know full well that every shade and flavor of ex-Scientologist is represented here. Why, all of a sudden, do I have to leave, because my personal experience with the subject is different than yours? Apparently, it's of no consequence that I publicly resigned from the church, or that I've endured much the same debilitating mistreatment in the church as others have.
Nope. I've made the mistake of being here and communicating some of my better experiences with Scn tech, and now I must be banished for not being in lockstep with your viewpoints.
This part I agree with. There is indeed a vibe I get that once one will respectfully disagree with some members here, then one is faced with personal atatcks, insults and is encouraged to leave.

The forum as a whole feels quite more toxic than most forums I've been a part of. I don't know if it is because it is a forum of ex-cult members, or despite of it.

Clay Pigeon

Gold Meritorious Patron
It looks like I'm being misunderstood here. I am not telling Voodoo to go to another website or that he's not welcome here, all I am saying is that this is, after all, a message board for ex scientologists (at least that is what I thought when I first became aware of it, it clearly says 'ex scientologist message board') so coming here extolling the virtues of scientology isn't going to get much traction and is pretty much a waste of time IMO. Speaking personally, I'd rather be on a message board where my views are more acceptable to the majority of people and where I'd get an easier ride that's all. Arguing in favour of the 'tek' just isn't going to sway many people here, so why bother? Just go to a Linux website and try and tell people how wonderful Microsoft is and see what sort of a reception you get.

JustSheila

Crusader
You told me that I might fit in better with a different online community. Reminds me of what a white real estate salesman told my dad many decades ago when my parents were house shopping: "Son, you might want to look at that new subdivision they're building in Compton. That's where your people are buying."

Didn't matter to that man that my dad was a decorated US Army Captain, or that he was even in uniform at the time, or that my mom was a peanut butter version of Jackie Kennedy who spoke like an English professor, nor did it even occur to him that he and my parents likely had thousands of cultural points of agreement between them.

Feels like 1959 all over again.

Yeah, that's the ticket. Just a helpful suggestion on your part, I'm sure. Should I go looking for a 'Colored People Only' drinking fountain now, or should I wait for @Emma to chime in?
I like your posts, Voodoo. I don't always agree with you, but I think you contribute a lot and should stay.

Everyone gets in spats now and then here. Take it in perspective. As far as I know, you've only been in one. I don't count our disagreement on one thread as a spat because we're both still commenting on each other's posts and reading them and enjoying them and I don't think any less of you.

Don't expect everyone will like everyone and always get along. It doesn't happen anywhere. Don't expect a spat to last forever, either. Most are forgotten in a day or two, maybe a week tops. It is the Internet, after all.

Have a good day. Really. Everything is okay.

Clay Pigeon

Gold Meritorious Patron
messed up the RWQ on previous post but what I wanted to say to Stratsie is I far prefer to engage in conversation in a group where there are many opinions and sharp differences over any mutual admiration society where dweebs fawn over one another for their intelligence and eloquence in schmoozing over shared opinions.

And if I were an extreme critic of Hubbard and the church I would relish the challenge of dialogue with those who could refine my own opinions with their challenges.

But none of the hard critics here seem to feel that way. They would prefer to perpetuate the huge black lies which have been hurled for years rather than limit their assertions to things of substance

Voodoo

To be fair, he's not atatckign you becaus eof your skin color but because of your stated beliefs. I'm not saying he's right, but his position should not be equated with things like racism.
It's called an analogy, K.

I'm not accusing @strativarius of being a racist, but a charge of religious bigotry wouldn't be far off the mark.

There is indeed a vibe I get that once one will respectfully disagree with some members here, then one is faced with personal atatcks, insults and is encouraged to leave.
Up until last night, I hadn't run into that attitude too much around here, though I knew when I signed up that some people here are virulently anti-Scientology. That's cool. I can handle disagreement with my personal reality. People complain that one is not allowed to think for themselves inside the cult, and that the cult enforces group agreements upon one that are soul crushing. All true, but then some of these same people leave the church and begin enforcing the same thought stopping on others who are trying to find their place in a post-Scientology existence.

I find that hypocritical in the extreme. I wasn't sufficiently devout for the cult, and now I'm not sufficiently devout for the anti-cult. Same bullshit - different cult.

The forum as a whole feels quite more toxic than most forums I've been a part of. I don't know if it is because it is a forum of ex-cult members, or despite of it.
I haven't been here that long, but so far I've only encountered what I consider a 'toxic' conversation a couple of times. For the most part, I've found the members here to be welcoming and supportive, although there are some very devout anti's here.

JustSheila

Crusader

This part I agree with. There is indeed a vibe I get that once one will respectfully disagree with some members here, then one is faced with personal atatcks, insults and is encouraged to leave.

:roflmao:

This is the part where you try to get others to agree that it's all bad and make the big exit, right?

:dramaqueen:

Where have I heard that before?

JustSheila

Crusader
I haven't been here that long, but so far I've only encountered what I consider a 'toxic' conversation a couple of times. For the most part, I've found the members here to be welcoming and supportive, although there are some very devout anti's here.

Strati can push buttons sometimes, but I think you may have him wrong. I've never known him to be any sort of racist or even prejudiced.

My suggestion is to give it some time because you two don't really know each other. You are certainly welcome here and seemed to be getting along just fine, actually.

Voodoo

I like your posts, Voodoo. I don't always agree with you, but I think you contribute a lot and should stay.

Everyone gets in spats now and then here. Take it in perspective. As far as I know, you've only been in one. I don't count our disagreement on one thread as a spat because we're both still commenting on each other's posts and reading them and enjoying them and I don't think any less of you.

Don't expect everyone will like everyone and always get along. It doesn't happen anywhere. Don't expect a spat to last forever, either. Most are forgotten in a day or two, maybe a week tops. It is the Internet, after all.

Have a good day. Really. Everything is okay.
Not to worry, Sheila. I've been posting to internet forums for over twenty years and know how rough and tumble it can get. My hide is thick and calloused.

JustSheila

Crusader
Not to worry, Sheila. I've been posting to internet forums for over twenty years and know how rough and tumble it can get. My hide is thick and calloused.
Good! You express yourself well and you're usually pretty upbeat and even have a sense of humor - something we all need at times. Strati can be grouchy. :grouch: He's got a big heart, though, as I believe you do, too. You may have noticed he and I sometimes crab at each other. We know each other well enough from the forum though, that we don't take it seriously. I really like Strati and think you will, too, once you know him better.

I hope to see you on some of the non-Scientology related threads, too, or maybe you would like to start your own? Just life stuff is nice to chat about and a good way to get to know each other better, too. Health topics of various types are always popular, so are home renovations, creative stuff, art, music... those things we enjoy. Then we can get to know you a little better too, but in a safe way, where you don't have to reveal any personal details but we can see your personality shine through.

You're a bright spirit and twinkle here just fine. Shine on. :hug:

Karakorum

supressively reasonable
:roflmao:

This is the part where you try to get others to agree that it's all bad and make the big exit, right?
What makes you think that?

If I feel like there is nothing to be gained here and the active memebrs are just interested in insults and thought-policing, then I will of course leave.

Where have I heard that before?
If you mean some of my previous posts, feel free to quote it and we cna go from there. Though I was under the impression that you dislike talking to me.

JustSheila

Crusader
What makes you think that?

If you mean some of my previous posts, feel free to quote it and we cna go from there. Though I was under the impression that you dislike talking to me.
See this is what is so annoying and makes it difficult for me to converse with you on a forum... the endless, endless, questions asking for more and more and more and more explanations. You don't seem to understand the obvious, or maybe you just don't read posts, or maybe you even pretend you don't understand. I don't know which it is, but it is annoying and time consuming to keep explaining and explaining to you.

CP is probably stoned half the time and yet I never have to explain myself to him and I don't have to type volumes and volumes of responses to him that take up my whole day. Bottom line is, I just don't have time to carry on talking to you all day as you demand with your constant questions and demands for further and further explanations and details. I won't miss you if you go but I'm just a member here, nothing more and you have every right to stay.

I'm not answering any more posts from you because it's ridiculous the time it takes to have a simple conversation with you. Like this. AGAIN WITH THE QUESTIONS ABOUT WHAT IS OBVIOUS.

Karakorum

supressively reasonable
It's called an analogy, K.
I'm not accusing @strativarius of being a racist, but a charge of religious bigotry wouldn't be far off the mark.
Fair enough. Though I think you are making an analogy from a much lesser infranction (exclusion from a forum based on views) to a much more severe one (racism).
People complain that one is not allowed to think for themselves inside the cult, and that the cult enforces group agreements upon one that are soul crushing. All true, but then some of these same people leave the church and begin enforcing the same thought stopping on others who are trying to find their place in a post-Scientology existence.
I find that hypocritical in the extreme. I wasn't sufficiently devout for the cult, and now I'm not sufficiently devout for the anti-cult. Same bullshit - different cult.
Yeah, I haven't been here all that long but I had the same feeling of "thought stopping" and "enforcing group agreements" a few times.
I could understand that if it was just limited to opinions about the cult (some people were hurt pretty badly, thus have a very emotional reaction). But some of that "thought stopping" comes up even in threads and topics unrelated to the cult. That's what bothers me the most.

I thought Marty was just being bonkers when saying the anti-cult has some sort of enforced groupthink. Turns out even that turncoat was basing this on some kernel of truth. :screwy:

I haven't been here that long, but so far I've only encountered what I consider a 'toxic' conversation a couple of times.
I hope it wasn't the one you had with me, as we disagreed in a pretty vivid and open manner. To be clear: I do think your views are interesting and I do not not consider our debates to be a loss of time. Even that hot disagreement.

For the record: I don't expect people to be acceptive or supportive of ex-OSA or ex-ethics officers like myself. That wasn't in the cards. I admitt I was expecting mroe debates based on argumentation and less thought-policing. Just my 0.02 $ on that.

AGAIN WITH THE QUESTIONS ABOUT WHAT IS OBVIOUS.
Using this last post as an example.

You claimed that you expect me to leave. You have not said why, so I asked about it. There was nothing obvious on non-obvious about why you think so. You simply did not provide any argument one way or another.

If for some reason you are unwilling to state your reasons, fine. But don't claim that it is "obvious" when you wrote nothing about what I asked.

Last edited:

JustSheila

Crusader
Fair enough. Though I think you are making an analogy from a much lesser infranction (exclusion from a forum base don views) to a much larger one (racism).

Yeah, I haven't been here all that long but I had the same feeling of "thought stopping" and "enforcing group agreements" a few times.
I could understand that if it was just limited to opinions about the cult (some people were hurt pretty badly, thus have a very emotional reaction). But some of that "thought stopping" comes up even in threads and topics unrelated to the cult. That's what bothers me the most.

I hope it wasn't the one you had with me, as we disagreed in a pretty vivid and open manner. To be clear: I do think your views are interesting and I do not not consider our debates to be a loss of time. Even that hot disagreement.

For the record: I don't expect people to be acceptive or supportive of ex-OSA or ex-ethics officers like myself. That wasn't in the cards. I admitt I was expecting mroe debates based on argumentation and less thought-policing. Just my 0.02 $ on that.

Using this last post as an example.

You claimed that you expect me to leave. You have not said why, so I asked about it. There was nothing obvious on non-obvious about why you think so. You simply did not provide any argument one way or another.

If for some reason you are unwilling to state your reasons, fine. But don't claim that it is "obvious" when you wrote nothing about what I asked.
What a setup. You wrote that you were going to leave and how toxic you think this forum is, then edited out the part about leaving, and then try to make it sound like I came up with it. You're a jerk.
OSA, just like you said. Nobody else is buying your crap, but I can see you're trying your best to turn up the volume. :roflmao:

ESMB still gets OSA people paTROLLing here, I see. :laugh: Good luck with that.

Bye. You're on IGNORE now.

Last edited:

Karakorum

supressively reasonable
What a setup. You wrote that you were going to leave and then edited it out, and then try to make it sound like I came up with it.
No, in that post I have never claimed that I am leaving the forum. That is a lie.

Feel free to ask the admins for the history of my edits on that post. I hereby formally consent to having all the versions of that post being presented in public. Feel free to report me for that post.

NOTE: If you go through my posts from the past month, you will see many have an "edit" done on them, as I often go back to fix typos or include an additional quote reply (to avoid double-posting).

As for leaving, I have already stated my opinion here.

You're a jerk.
OSA, just like you said. Nobody else is buying your crap, but I can see you're trying your best to turn up the volume. :roflmao:

ESMB still gets OSA people paTROLLing here, I see. :laugh: Good luck with that.
Oh so I'm now OSA? What happened with "innocent until proven guilty?"

But fine, let us play "guilty until proven innocent" Can I prove that I'm not OSA? Well, you can have the forum admins check my IP and you will find it is form an East European country with no real CoS presence.
Also - would any sane OSA claim to be an ex-ethics officer like I have? How would that help OSA to gain anyone's trust or troll?

Last but not least - would OSA (or even active CoS members) willingly post the sort of images I did in the humor/artwork thread? That would result in a lot of sec-checking.

Last edited: