What's new

Why Scientology needs you to "donate"

I just found some facts and figures relating to the topic of scio buying historical buildings in several countries. The excerpt is from 'The New Zealand Herald' 15 Feb. 2008 and it shows how the local (Auckland) org had piss-all money but managed to make it go right to the tune of around 10 million bucks. The "Mike" referred to is Mike Ferris - Boss man of the Org.

'Ferriss says several people have asked him if Cruise was involved, but it was one of the church's local members who suggested the neo-Gothic building in Grafton would be a good fit with Scientology's programme of buying heritage buildings around the world.

The building was built for the Methodist Church in 1929 and was most recently home to the Whitecliffe College of Arts and Design. The building, with a 2005 capital value of $4.5m, was not on the market but the business consortium that owned it changed its mind when the Church of Scientology offered $10.2m cash early last year. Ferriss said there was no date for the move, as a major renovation project would be undertaken first.

The church's 2005 financial statements, posted voluntarily on the government's societies website, show that it had assets of $910,000, including $349,000 cash in the bank and $419,890 worth of "religious books and artefacts" (L Ron Hubbard's writings), but liabilities of $1.9m, including a non-current liability of $1m owed to Scientology churches overseas for staff training provided over several years. Ferriss says the building was bought with help from donations from Scientologists around the world.

"We're now 50 years old as a church and we're putting down our roots, and saying 'this is where we are and these are our bases'. I think people do recognise where you live. They go, 'wow that's kind of impressive'."

paradox

ab intra silentio vera

"We're now 50 years old as a church and we're putting down our roots, and saying 'this is where we are and these are our bases'. I think people do recognise where you live. They go, 'wow that's kind of impressive'."

All your base are belong to us! :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

Neo

Silver Meritorious Patron
I believe the IAS paid for that building.

The IAS are also paying for setting up Ideal Morgues in Tel Aviv, Zimbabwe, and some other Global epicentre.

Neo

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
I believe the IAS paid for that building.

The IAS are also paying for setting up Ideal Morgues in Tel Aviv, Zimbabwe, and some other Global epicentre.

Neo

In Zimbabwe too? That should be interesting, considering what is going on there.

Paul

ScudMuffin

Silver Meritorious Patron
Lets see, founded by a white sci fi writer with a penchant for the facist...that'll go down well.