What's new

Spirit guides

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Speaking of spirit guides, many years ago after I left scientology I had an odd combination of letters coming to mind for two days. Just for fun I played with the idea that maybe some entity wanted to channel through me. My moniker is sort of similar to it.

Does anyone want to talk about spirit guides?

Posted on Zertel's behalf. Post quickly before that invertebrate (hee hee) gnashnab gets in here.

Paul

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Barbara Brennan has written extensively about spirit guides in her two books, Hands of Light and Light Emerging. Her school of healing is involved in teaching others how to manipulate a person's subtle energy fields in order to help heal bodily afflictions. She writes of getting assistance from higher-level guides while doing such "surgery".

5813ed0ce2823d2c41b9a288521447ae.jpg

She mentions the lower-level communicative spirit guides that accompany* one throughout everyday life, and how these surgeon-types are fairly cold and all business.

*Supposedly we all have one or more. One only has to listen to their soft voices, their gentle guidance.

Paul

Last edited:

Veda

Sponsor
Not quite spirit guides, but in the ball park...

Carl Jung addresses his Soul

This audio/video is sometimes difficult to hear but, if one clicks the top, and goes to YouTube video, there's a transcription of it.

This is Carl Jung addressing his Soul, or perhaps "Higher Self" or "Over Soul" would be a better description.

There are many views on how the notion of a Soul (capital "S") should be regarded. One holds that the person on Earth is no more his entire being than a finger tip is the entire physical body. Re-uniting the finger tip with the rest of the body (the "lower soul" with the "Higher Soul"), according to some, will occur at the end of the person's physical life. Others attempt this connection in this life through prayer, meditation, and other mental/spiritual disciplines.

In Scientology, there is no "Higher Self" or "Higher Soul" recognized, and Scientologists tend to see themselves as the compete expression of their being, They are "thetans" who proudly announce that they do not have a soul but are a soul. Yet, what if there is a Higher Soul, and Scientologists have cut themselves off from that? The result: many little Scientologists with giant egos, cut off from further spiritual exploration that may have made then whole.

Years ago, I even experimented ("squirrelling") with this area, using the basic format of an auditing session. The client ("pc"), after a brief description/discussion of the notion of a Higher Self, was asked if there was (forgive the Scientologese, it was a long time ago) an "ARC break" with the Higher Self, with idea of opening a line of communication. It was interesting but not earth-shaking.

It's perhaps noteworthy that Aleister Crowley wrote of "the knowledge and conversation with one's Holy Guardian Angel" as an objective of Magic(k)al study and exercise. Crowley, towards the end of his life, admitted that his "Holy Guardian Angel" may not have been a separate being, but an aspect of his own mind.

(And to Scientologists reading this. No, this is not about "BTs.")

Hubbard wrote (in the 1940s) of his Guardian Angel, whom he named, and seemed to regard her (it was a female) as a separate being.

During the amphetamine inspired loose-lipped days of 1952, Hubbard briefly mentioned that a group could have a "Guardian angel" and then, as far as I know, never mentioned the subject again.

In any event, this audio/visio by Jung is worth hearing, IMO. It does appear the Jung regarded himself as the lesser expression of a greater Being (no matter how one wishes to word it), one with which he wished to re-acquaint himself.

This is one of several "occult" ideas that Hubbard (at times at least) seemed to take seriously himself, but which he blocked Scientologists from exploring.

lotus

stubborn rebel sheep!
I make lot of guided meditation to address "higher self" in the process of healing and dissolving blocages.

I don't know about "spirit guides" as I never encountered one neither am trying to enter in comm with spirits.

Sometimes, (did it recently) if overwhelmed by too great difficulties or that I can't find a path to light, I do guided meditation to "get answers" ; often I wake-up the in the morning, refreshed, feeling more serene and knowing what option I shall consider as my best move.

I have 0 belief in the pseudo-entities BTs; an schizophrenic paranoid LRH was fabulating in his ill mind; Thus, IMO, BT's are a label attributed to LRH fabulations , and that OTs have given huge amount of time and money to be contaminated with.

The higher self or higher spirit is IMO our connection through or with the divine or the greatest energy .

Last edited:
Re: addressing your soul:

Back in the '70s I had a friend who would sell steak door to door. He was somewhere in Compton or south central in the hood when he was accosted by a couple of black gang members who wanted to shake him down. He called them soul brothers, to which they responded "Hell, y'all ain't got no soul - an we ain't your soul brothers" He said, "Sure I have soul. Lemme prove it to you" and he stood on one foot and pointed to the sole of his shoe on the other. They broke up laughin', and he sold them a passel of steaks.

Mimsey

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
I have 0 beliefs in the pseudo-entities. an schizophrenic paranoid LRH was interacting in his ill mind; Thus, IMO, BT's are a label attributed to LRH fabulations , that OT have given huge amount of time and money to be contaminated with.
I agree. This thread is supposed to have nothing whatsoever to do with BTs -- different topic entirely. BTs are per Hubbard degraded thetans pretty much glued to oneself or the body, who aren't upscale enough to run a body by themselves. The spirit guides we are (supposed to be) talking about are discarnate entities, possibly "graduates" who no longer need to run a body but are free to move around as they wish, and who offer quiet advice to us mortals.

Paul

RogerB

Crusader
I agree. This thread is supposed to have nothing whatsoever to do with BTs -- different topic entirely. BTs are per Hubbard degraded thetans pretty much glued to oneself or the body, who aren't upscale enough to run a body by themselves. The spirit guides we are (supposed to be) talking about are discarnate entities, possibly "graduates" who no longer need to run a body but are free to move around as they wish, and who offer quiet advice to us mortals.

Paul
Yes, correct (as usual, Paul)

The truth is, the spiritual connections we humans have, have been given different names at different times in different cultures and cults. As an example, the Christian Church went off on calling them "Demons and or the Devil."

Alan Walter got it most right, as he posted here . . . he refers to them as "Spiritual Teammates" if they are aligned with you and a part of your set-up to play the game of life. Other spiritual connections are not necessarily "teammates," but simply connected in various ways, and often behaving in a manner that is, at least, inconvenient to you if not deleterious.

Alan devised rundowns to handle all these various connections so one could restore optimum and harmonious relationships.

Zertel

Patron
Barbara Brennan has written extensively about spirit guides in her two books, Hands of Light and Light Emerging. Her school of healing is involved in teaching others how to manipulate a person's subtle energy fields in order to help heal bodily afflictions. She writes of getting assistance from higher-level guides while doing such "surgery".

5813ed0ce2823d2c41b9a288521447ae.jpg

She mentions the lower-level communicative spirit guides that accompany* one throughout everyday life, and how these surgeon-types are fairly cold and all business.

*Supposedly we all have one or more. One only has to listen to their soft voices, their gentle guidance

I started to write a post yesterday and changed my mind. I don't know how to delete this so I'm just sending through to get rid of it.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
5th icon in the edit box has "Delete draft" as an option. You can edit your post for 24 hours, so please change it to something sensible and I can do likewise to this one.

Paul

Zertel

Patron
My grandmother was a devout Methodist but she also followed astrology and gave readings back in the 1950s. Her point of view was "God created the Heavens so we can admire and interpret them." She also told me angels helped her and they would me too if I asked them. To date I haven't called upon angels. Grandma was always ready to answer my "Why is the sky blue" questions when I was a boy.

I blew scientology around 1982 because of the price increases and joined the Great Exodus in Los Angeles when probably hundreds of scientologists blew all at once. Several blown scientologist get together groups sprung up and I joined one. There were about 15 of us and we met weekly at someone's house. We discussed other practices and listened to a lot of channelling tapes. Now if those channelled "entities" were actually incorporeal (non embodied) beings, I have to admit some of them were pretty cool dudes! The scientific explanation would probably be that channellers are accessing some stream of conscious in the mind.

On one of the tapes a group of OTs had recruited a channeler and were grilling him about whether OTIII was real or not. I'll write about that later.

Last edited:

JustSheila

Crusader
I like to believe there is such a thing as spirit guides. In my personal life, I’ve had a couple of extraordinary experiences.

Before COS, a friend and I were hitchhiking on the expressway. (Yeh, I know, but we were dumb, crazy teens). We were picked up by two men and sat in the back. They were polite, but then said they had to make a detour for a few minutes to pick up something. They parked in back of a warehouse and told us to sit there and be quiet. Maybe ten minutes went by and my friend and I were chatting about girl stuff, having a good conversation.

I was in the middle of a sentence when I heard a yelling in my head, “Get out now!!” We were shocked, looked at each other and my friend had heard the same thing at the same time!! :omg: She asked me, What do we do?” I said, “We get out now!!” So we raced back to the expressway and were nearly there when about five men started chasing after us. I put out my thumb and the first car picked us up. He was shaking, said he never picked up hitchhikers but heard a voice telling him to pick us up.

To this day my friend remembers this. Spirit guides? Someone or some spirit was definitely protecting us.

Zertel

Patron
5th icon in the edit box has "Delete draft" as an option. You can edit your post for 24 hours, so please change it to something sensible and I can do likewise to this one.

Paul
The 5th icon says "restore last draft". Hey - This is "my" topic so don't get grumpy on me. :)

Zertel

Patron
I like to believe there is such a thing as spirit guides. In my personal life, I’ve had a couple of extraordinary experiences.

Before COS, a friend and I were hitchhiking on the expressway. (Yeh, I know, but we were dumb, crazy teens). We were picked up by two men and sat in the back. They were polite, but then said they had to make a detour for a few minutes to pick up something. They parked in back of a warehouse and told us to sit there and be quiet. Maybe ten minutes went by and my friend and I were chatting about girl stuff, having a good conversation.

I was in the middle of a sentence when I heard a yelling in my head, “Get out now!!” We were shocked, looked at each other and my friend had heard the same thing at the same time!! :omg: She asked me, What do we do?” I said, “We get out now!!” So we raced back to the expressway and were nearly there when about five men started chasing after us. I put out my thumb and the first car picked us up. He was shaking, said he never picked up hitchhikers but heard a voice telling him to pick us up.

To this day my friend remembers this. Spirit guides? Someone or some spirit was definitely protecting us.
Just Sheila - Over the course of human history millions or billions of people have experienced random peak/transcendental/religious/satori and so on experiences. I suppose someone can get all analytical about it. I prefer to just let them be.

Wikipedia says that an estimate of the number of humans who have ever lived is of the order of 100 billion.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
The 5th icon says "restore last draft". Hey - This is "my" topic so don't get grumpy on me. :)
Assuming you're on a desktop, there's a little down-pointing triangle to the right of it, which gives two additional options of Save draft and Delete draft.

I don't see the option on my Android mobile.

Paul

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Are they the same as the enlightened ones Paul posted about in his Life between Lives thread?

Mimsey
I don't know who you are asking. I mentioned Barbara Brennan above. The author of the Life Between Lives stuff is Dr. Robert Newton (see thread). Two different authors talking about their own experiences and original research, but I assume the beings are the same.

Paul

JustSheila

Crusader
Just Sheila - Over the course of human history millions or billions of people have experienced random peak/transcendental/religious/satori and so on experiences. I suppose someone can get all analytical about it. I prefer to just let them be.

Wikipedia says that an estimate of the number of humans who have ever lived is of the order of 100 billion.
Yes. My curiosity about how/why/what is what got me into Scn in the first place, but the answers weren't there. Scientology was one helluva looooong, drawn-out misdirector by someone who didn't know a damn thing.

So yeh, there was a lot to wonder about. Three people actively heard that voice in that incident - me, my friend and the man that picked us up. All of us had been actively doing something else at the time and distracted but had our thoughts abruptly interrupted by an external being.

Whether it was a spirit that previously lived, God, an angel, someone alive who could send a voice (a possibility), someone way off in a coma somewhere who lived only in the spirit world... the possibilities were endless. The voice definitely had a male sound to it, though, but that doesn't mean much of anything, either.

The bare truth is, nobody knows. It's all guesses. You can drive yourself crazy trying to make it make sense.

I think when someone goes into what I think of as "the ether," you just don't come back with clear memories because it's not the physical world and has different rules and memory is just not part of it. Like you say, it's not analytical.

There was a famous quote I ran into once about people going schizophrenic AFTER a particularly revealing spiritual event. That idea is a bit profound, since the spiritual and the material world have extremely different rules. Pity the poor schmuck trying to make it into a story that makes sense in the physical world.

Last edited:

Zertel

Patron
Yes. My curiosity about how/why/what is what got me into Scn in the first place, but the answers weren't there. Scientology was one helluva looooong, drawn-out misdirector by someone who didn't know a damn thing.

So yeh, there was a lot to wonder about. Three people actively heard that voice in that incident - me, my friend and the man that picked us up. All of us had been actively doing something else at the time and distracted but had our thoughts abruptly interrupted by an external being.

Whether it was a spirit that previously lived, God, an angel, someone alive who could send a voice (a possibility), someone way off in a coma somewhere who lived only in the spirit world... the possibilities were endless. The voice definitely had a male sound to it, though, but that doesn't mean much of anything, either.

The bare truth is, nobody knows. It's all guesses. You can drive yourself crazy trying to make it make sense.

I think when someone goes into what I think of as "the ether," you just don't come back with clear memories because it's not the physical world and has different rules and memory is just not part of it. Like you say, it's not analytical.

There was a famous quote I ran into once about people going schizophrenic AFTER a particularly revealing spiritual event. That idea is a bit profound, since the spiritual and the material world have extremely different rules. Pity the poor schmuck trying to make it into a story that makes sense in the physical world.
My guess, and it's strictly a guess, is that spacetime in the ether is totally different than spacetime on earth. A thousand years of earth spacetime might be like taking a nap in the ether. I'll leave the final determination on that up to the mystics and gurus.

Zertel

Patron
My grandmother was a devout Methodist but she also followed astrology and gave readings back in the 1950s. Her point of view was "God created the Heavens so we can admire and interpret them." She also told me angels helped her and they would me too if I asked them. To date I haven't called upon angels. Grandma was always ready to answer my "Why is the sky blue" questions when I was a boy.

I blew scientology around 1982 because of the price increases and joined the Great Exodus in Los Angeles when probably hundreds of scientologists blew all at once. Several blown scientologist get together groups sprung up and I joined one. There were about 15 of us and we met weekly at someone's house. We discussed other practices and listened to a lot of channelling tapes. Now if those channelled "entities" were actually incorporeal (non embodied) beings, I have to admit some of them were pretty cool dudes! The scientific explanation would probably be that channellers are accessing some stream of conscious in the mind.

On one of the tapes a group of OTs had recruited a channeler and were grilling him about whether OTIII was real or not. I'll write about that later.
The chaneller's entity went by the name of "Dr. Peebles". Of the three or four different channelling entities we listened to in the get together group, he was my favorite. The tape was edited with the specifics of OTIII edited out. Remember, at this time scientologists were very wary of revealing anything about OTIII for the potential "damage" which might occur. The OTs were going at him from several directions and just wanted a YES or NO answer - lol. He wouldn't commit and hedged, saying, "Well, that is one of several possibilities . . ." and went on to describe other possible adventures in the theta universe. He said sometimes he and other entities would get together to discuss (however they discuss things "out there") how best to impart their wisdom to we humans. The get together group I joined lasted about seven or eight weeks and then disbanded. It was great fun while it lasted.

Last edited:

Zertel

Patron
I make lot of guided meditation to address "higher self" in the process of healing and dissolving blocages.

I don't know about "spirit guides" as I never encountered one neither am trying to enter in comm with spirits.

Sometimes, (did it recently) if overwhelmed by too great difficulties or that I can't find a path to light, I do guided meditation to "get answers" ; often I wake-up the in the morning, refreshed, feeling more serene and knowing what option I shall consider as my best move.

I have 0 belief in the pseudo-entities BTs; an schizophrenic paranoid LRH was fabulating in his ill mind; Thus, IMO, BT's are a label attributed to LRH fabulations , and that OTs have given huge amount of time and money to be contaminated with.

The higher self or higher spirit is IMO our connection through or with the divine or the greatest energy .
I think few people would specifically mention their spirit "guide" if they have one on a blog. They might want to keep it as a personal matter.

However, on the channelling tapes we listened to in the get together group I mention, one of the entities was called Ramtha. At the time he was being promoted by the actress Linda Evans. I think she took him as her "guide". I thought he was a bit gruff. On one of the tapes someone in the audience exclaimed, "God bless you, Ramatha!" He immediately replied, "I AM blessed." Those entities are quick. haha