What's new

The purpose of ESMB

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
Um...er....

I have just read like 10 posts on this thread and I still dont know what the problem is/was.

Instead of talking about the elephant that is NOT in the room, can you PLEASE just talk about the elephant that IS in the middle of the room?

What thread(s) are potentially problematic currently that brought this discussion back up? If you want people to learn from it just tell us !

Seems to be the most efficient way to handle this 'situation'....???

An example might be complaining about or mocking someone who defends him or herself- like, say, if someone were to double team with another contributor and were to claim to want to take bets on how many replies the person might post about something rude that was said and what those might say.

alex

Gold Meritorious Patron
Who said this was a dangerous place? I am thinking that things are being totally blown out of all proportions here. This is getting ridiculous. Geez, there's nothing like a sweeping generality is there. :eyeroll:

There have been times when ESMB was not a safe place for me.

Because of attacks on me.

Because I was falling into behavior I would need to restrain myself from.

Line plot items???
:)

(and in fact Pixie, I left the board for a while once partly due to my irrational impulses to get into a games condition with you. Totally unbeknowst to you and totally unrelated to anything you did or said to me)

alex

KnightVision

Gold Meritorious Patron
The sad thing though is that the valuable contributions of the more sane and stable are lost when they decide they dont want to put up with the abuse.

I would offer that 'sane and stable' is an ongoing desired state which most every member, regardless of their current status is actually trying to achieve. Each member is simply at a differently paced journey.

The 'more mature and diplomatic' members can absorb and guide the newbies or regulars with respectful restraint, and thus continue to uphold and create the 'feel' of the board. Perhaps what was not anticipated earlier on was that non-scn'ists would end up becoming one of the most public voices against the Co$. These folks have never been indoctrinated with scn and therefore see things differently.

A dwindling spiral?

Or an opportunity to expand the parameters?

Not if we see it and act to reverse it.

Yes, and how so? I suggest dropping a simple polite post (in the thread of question) to encourage board rules and good relations.

alex

kV

Axiom142

Gold Meritorious Patron
Currently I know and/or am in contact with about 60 people in my area who I or others have directed to this board. These people are sitting on the fence now, and are looking for themselves - in an effort to decide which direction to take in regard to Scn and the CofS!

I (along with others) get feedback on a constant basis about how this board is perceived. Carping criticism, disrespect, flaming, and 'joking and degrading' to any sizable degree - just results in a big "REJECT" by them.

I suppose congratulations are in order to OSA lately. The odd OSA troll has done a good job of stirring people up and getting some pretty off the rail responses. This in turn could/would/has resulted in a perception for some - that this board is just full of a bunch of out of control, griping imbeciles.

This board IS and HAS BEEN a saviour to many. It's good to have it there, known and seen as such - by the many who are still looking and still to come.

Ceedia,

Firstly, well done on getting so many Scientologists to visit and look for themselves. I’m sure that they will find much of interest and value here. I agree with you and Panda, it would be great if this forum were completely safe and welcoming and totally ‘on-message’. Unfortunately large groups of humans don’t always act the way we want them to. However, this shouldn’t stop us from pointing out bad behaviour and making offenders stop it. Being alert to those who try to disrupt sensible and rational discussion is a good idea as well.

ESMB should be first and foremost a place where Scientologists (ex or otherwise) can come and feel safe, share their experiences and make new friends. I am confident that ESMB will continue to be that place.

When I first started looking to the Internet to provide answers on why Scientology wasn’t working as advertised, it quickly became apparent that the Internet was a very unruly place. Some people seem to become incredibly brave and very offensive when sitting safely behind their keyboards in anonymity. I think this is inevitable when a forum is made public and open to all. But, this never really distracted me from the facts.

Yes, there is often a lot of ‘noise’ going on here on ESMB. And I’m probably one of the worst offenders for making jokes and having a laugh. This shouldn’t detract from the message if people are prepared to really look. There is a huge amount of important information, particularly the personal stories, that is easily accessible. If someone is really interested in finding the truth, I’d expect them to persevere and ignore the distractions. If any of your friends want to have a sensible conversation regarding Scientology, please feel free to direct them to me.

Axiom142

Pixie

Crusader
There have been times when ESMB was not a safe place for me.

Because of attacks on me.

Because I was falling into behavior I would need to restrain myself from.

Line plot items???

(and in fact Pixie, I left the board for a while once partly due to my irrational impulses to get into a games condition with you. Totally unbeknowst to you and totally unrelated to anything you did or said to me)

alex

That's interesting Alex as I was always and only ever aware that we got on quite well considering your viewpoints and my temporary fits of phychosis at that time, however I do understand what you are saying, but Alex, as I have said to you before, you cannot realistically come on to an exes board and not be challenged now and then do you understand this? So, tell me, what were these 'irrational impluses' Alex, I am very curious about this and feel I am learning much here which is what I try to do with all posts I read.

Pixie

Crusader
Ceedia,

Firstly, well done on getting so many Scientologists to visit and look for themselves. I’m sure that they will find much of interest and value here. I agree with you and Panda, it would be great if this forum were completely safe and welcoming and totally ‘on-message’. Unfortunately large groups of humans don’t always act the way we want them to. However, this shouldn’t stop us from pointing out bad behaviour and making offenders stop it. Being alert to those who try to disrupt sensible and rational discussion is a good idea as well.

ESMB should be first and foremost a place where Scientologists (ex or otherwise) can come and feel safe, share their experiences and make new friends. I am confident that ESMB will continue to be that place.

When I first started looking to the Internet to provide answers on why Scientology wasn’t working as advertised, it quickly became apparent that the Internet was a very unruly place. Some people seem to become incredibly brave and very offensive when sitting safely behind their keyboards in anonymity. I think this is inevitable when a forum is made public and open to all. But, this never really distracted me from the facts.

Yes, there is often a lot of ‘noise’ going on here on ESMB. And I’m probably one of the worst offenders for making jokes and having a laugh. This shouldn’t detract from the message if people are prepared to really look. There is a huge amount of important information, particularly the personal stories, that is easily accessible. If someone is really interested in finding the truth, I’d expect them to persevere and ignore the distractions. If any of your friends want to have a sensible conversation regarding Scientology, please feel free to direct them to me.

Axiom142

Are you becoming a killjoy Axiom? :confused2: I take from your post here that we ought to only talk about scientology and not have at least 'some' fun. I'm getting more confused by the minute as to where this thread is going so I am bowing out now. Why can people not just live and let live instead of being so judgmental. Having fun and being witty seems to be a crime now but it's ok to insult someone. I have not seen anyone be insulted lately and I cannot see a problem and I won't make one that isn't there.

Pixie

Crusader
Pixie!!!
Haven't told you lately that I love you.....
:blowkiss:
Just a little off topic diversion........:whistling:
GT

Er... no GT you have not. :no: And what brought this sudden burst of affection to the fore pray tell? ... :confused2: Enlighten me please...

Good twin

Floater
Nothin' especially. Just was reading your participation on this thread. As always just amazed at your continued evolution. Which of course validates my own evolution and from that springs forth a burst of affection. :love2:

Pixie

Crusader
Nothin' especially. Just was reading your participation on this thread. As always just amazed at your continued evolution. Which of course validates my own evolution and from that springs forth a burst of affection. :love2:

Good god GT, well that's just blown me away... :bigcry:

Axiom142

Gold Meritorious Patron
Are you becoming a killjoy Axiom? :confused2: I take from your post here that we ought to only talk about scientology and not have at least 'some' fun. I'm getting more confused by the minute as to where this thread is going so I am bowing out now. Why can people not just live and let live instead of being so judgmental. Having fun and being witty seems to be a crime now but it's ok to insult someone. I have not seen anyone be insulted lately and I cannot see a problem and I won't make one that isn't there.

Pixie,

I'm not saying that at all. Having fun is good, but not at the expense of someone else. And let's not forget that this forum has a very important part to play in the recovery of people who have been hurt and may still be suffering.

I'm going to start by reminding myself.

Axiom142

Good twin

Floater
Good god GT, well that's just blown me away... :bigcry:

Baby Girl, for better or for worse, we're on this ride together. Yesterday another ex said something to me about how being ex is such a unique experience that only other exes could understand. It's true. We are bonded by this and your healing is important to me and as much a part of my recovery as anything I do or discover myself. If you must cry, please cry healing tears.:yes:
GT

Pixie

Crusader
Pixie,

I'm not saying that at all. Having fun is good, but not at the expense of someone else. And let's not forget that this forum has a very important part to play in the recovery of people who have been hurt and may still be suffering.

I'm going to start by reminding myself.

Axiom142

No one is disagreeing with that.. I hope... but I've not seen any of this lately! We're not in a haven or a cult anymore and we have to allow people to be themselves and all they have to do is follow the rules and if someone doesn't like it they report it insead of creating this huge 'drama' out of nothing! Who is having fun on this board 'at the expense' of someone else? I want to know this. Who are we talking about specifically when you say this? Or is this another attempt at control as a throw back from cultic behaviours.

alex

Gold Meritorious Patron
That's interesting Alex as I was always and only ever aware that we got on quite well considering your viewpoints and my temporary fits of phychosis at that time, however I do understand what you are saying, but Alex, as I have said to you before, you cannot realistically come on to an exes board and not be challenged now and then do you understand this? So, tell me, what were these 'irrational impluses' Alex, I am very curious about this and feel I am learning much here which is what I try to do with all posts I read.

Oh I certainly expect to be challenged, and understand that it comes as a result of my own actions, it is just that there are times that I can not deal with it. Sometimes I crash. Sometimes I just cant handle it. And ESMB for me is the place where I deal with some of my personal issues. At its best it is my safe place to be. Ironic.

When you came on the board, it was apparent you had some issues and were a very active communicator. I have a tendency to engage by challenging, and I felt that I would not be able to keep myself in the bounderies of what I felt would not be upsetting and difficult for you. I have a history of acting in ways that are not in the interests of others, and dont need to burden my karma any further than I already have.

So I acted in my own interests by withdrawing. There were other things going on too, unrelated, that also motivated me. For a time I tried to abandon the "alex" persona. But eventually came to the conclusion that it still made sense to remain anonymous.

alex

Good twin

Floater
Oh I certainly expect to be challenged, and understand that it comes as a result of my own actions, it is just that there are times that I can not deal with it. Sometimes I crash. Sometimes I just cant handle it. And ESMB for me is the place where I deal with some of my personal issues. At its best it is my safe place to be. Ironic.

When you came on the board, it was apparent you had some issues and were a very active communicator. I have a tendency to engage by challenging, and I felt that I would not be able to keep myself in the bounderies of what I felt would not be upsetting and difficult for you. I have a history of acting in ways that are not in the interests of others, and dont need to burden my karma any further than I already have.

So I acted in my own interests by withdrawing. There were other things going on too, unrelated, that also motivated me. For a time I tried to abandon the "alex" persona. But eventually came to the conclusion that it still made sense to remain anonymous.

alex

Someday Alex, someday.:thumbsup:

Carmel

Crusader
IMO, the best way to effect any change is to politely ask individuals. Some change can occur. Some may not.
I agree - and silly me thought I was doing just that, by bumping this thread the way I did with post #20. This was queried - hence further posts in order to clarify stance or position. I believe posts like #30, #38 and #40 make things quite specific and clear. If people bother to read those posts, and Panda's thread about OSA operatives - then one should be able to see where we are coming from.

I shake my head at the concept that the humorous and off topic threads are a problem to us. This is so bizzare, that it's laughable!

No ya can't - but some of us are dreamers and persistant little buggers - and we often do! :coolwink:

Pixie

Crusader

alex

Well thank you for that explanation, I appreciate it very much. :thumbsup:

It's nice to know you didn't want to upset me... perhaps that was just as well... :whistling:

Pixie

Crusader
I agree - and silly me thought I was doing just that, by bumping this thread the way I did with post #20. This was queried - hence further posts in order to clarify stance or position. I believe posts like #30, #38 and #40 make things quite specific and clear. If people bother to read those posts, and Panda's thread about OSA operatives - then one should be able to see where we are coming from.

I shake my head at the concept that the humorous and off topic threads are a problem to us. This is so bizzare, that it's laughable!

No ya can't - but some of us are dreamers and persistant little buggers - and we often do! :coolwink:

:laugh: Great post! :thumbsup: Well it's all getting a little too confusing for me I'm afraid... but sure it'll all come out in the wash... :laundry:

Carmel

Crusader
american-idol-ed-slack.jpg

DARE TO BE SLACK

Zinj
:roflmao: :D

Me thinks this bloke's got it pretty good, and I wouldn't mind bein' in his shoes from time to time - that is, if he's wearin' any! :unsure: