What's new

Scientology Center Going Ahead with Fund-Raiser After Slaying

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20243284,00.html

Despite the recent death of a sword-wielding man on the grounds of the Scientology Celebrity Center in Los Angeles, a church spokesman says an upcoming star-studded fund-raiser will proceed as planned.

"We're already rolling with rehearsals," spokesman Tommy Davis tells PEOPLE. "They're going on this week and next."

Kirstie Alley, Jenna Elfman, Anne Archer and Danny Masterson are some of the celebrities expected to participate in the annual event to be held Dec. 5 and 6 near the site of last Sunday's fatal shooting by security guards.

The shooting occurred when the Mario Majorski, 48, reportedly emerged from his car, brandishing a samurai sword in each hand, then approached a trio of security guards. One guard opened fire with a semiautomatic handgun, killing the man. Surveillance tapes back up the guard's version of the story that he shot in self-defense.

The victim reportedly had a strained history with the church. Los Angeles Police have thus far declined to file any charges in the case.

"This was an unfortunate incident, but we plan to carry on with our service to the community," says Davis. Proceeds will benefit the Hollywood Police Activities League, a mentoring program for local youth.

Good twin

Floater
Oh.... a fundraiser for the police that haven't filed charges or released the video???? Hmmm.........................:whistling:

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Is the "Hollywood Police Activities League" another CoS front?

No, it's a legitimate police organization, the whole PAL thing having started in the 30s. However, they've been cosy-cosy with the CofS for over ten years, with the CofS doing lots of fundraisers. Like $170,000 so far for an inner-city youth program. In 1997 the HPAL named them "Organization of the Year", for instance.

Shame they don't do a "Cult of the Year" award.

This bit is funny. On the cult's website at http://www.scientology.org/news-media/news/2005/051209.html is this paragraph [emphasis mine]:
“We hold Christmas Stories each year to support our police in their efforts to create a safe environment for children in Hollywood,” said Greg LaClaire, Vice President of the Celebrity Centre. “Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard once stated, ’When children become unimportant to a society, that society has forfeited its future.’ Supporting the Police Athletic League is our way of expressing our belief that the youth of our community are the most important resource we have.”

Showing its true priorities here, the CofS couldn't even manage to get the name right. :)

Paul

Smitty

Silver Meritorious Patron
What an irony. This appears to be another self-serving public relations event to maintain a relationship with the LAPD. Looks like Tommy Davis, "can't handle the truth".

dchoiceisalwaysrs

Gold Meritorious Patron
Thank you Paul..for the info.

It just saddens me that the money donated is really for PR manipulation.

As I see it if, if the "church' really cared about children's welfare, they would knock off; the pressured abortions, the child slave labor in the SO, and at the least encourage a family day for their members.

klidov

Silver Meritorious Patron
http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20243284,00.html

Despite the recent death of a sword-wielding man on the grounds of the Scientology Celebrity Center in Los Angeles, a church spokesman says an upcoming star-studded fund-raiser will proceed as planned.

"We're already rolling with rehearsals," spokesman Tommy Davis tells PEOPLE. "They're going on this week and next."

Kirstie Alley, Jenna Elfman, Anne Archer and Danny Masterson are some of the celebrities expected to participate in the annual event to be held Dec. 5 and 6 near the site of last Sunday's fatal shooting by security guards.

The shooting occurred when the Mario Majorski, 48, reportedly emerged from his car, brandishing a samurai sword in each hand, then approached a trio of security guards. One guard opened fire with a semiautomatic handgun, killing the man. Surveillance tapes back up the guard's version of the story that he shot in self-defense.

The victim reportedly had a strained history with the church. Los Angeles Police have thus far declined to file any charges in the case.

"This was an unfortunate incident, but we plan to carry on with our service to the community," says Davis. Proceeds will benefit the Hollywood Police Activities League, a mentoring program for local youth.

...and they will be trampling all over a crime scene. Oh, wait, it is no longer an ongoing investigation, is it? :angry:

I have asked myself, if this were a Catholic Church, or a Protestant Church, (generalizing) what would be the proper response?

I believe the event would either be delayed, or moved to a different location.

The cult certainly is filled with some cold-blooded monsters, isn't it?

FoTi

Crusader
A PR money raiser?

Hey, never let a little killing interfere with making money.

It might even help them raise even more money, because after all, it was an ex-police officer who saved everyone at CCInt from the Swordsman. :whistling:

byte301

Crusader
...and they will be trampling all over a crime scene. Oh, wait, it is no longer an ongoing investigation, is it? :angry:

I have asked myself, if this were a Catholic Church, or a Protestant Church, (generalizing) what would be the proper response?

I believe the event would either be delayed, or moved to a different location.

The cult certainly is filled with some cold-blooded monsters, isn't it?

Well we ARE talking about Co$ here, ya know!

Been Done Had

Patron with Honors
This is hubris in action.

The timing of the fundraiser after the shooting is a more than bad taste, it's reflective of more serious issue.

COS has a history of gaming civil government. And that will be its downfall. The short term advantages of being cozy with local government will cause the long term failure of the church.

How is that? :unsure: Sooner or later, another Lisa McPherson will happen, or a staff member will flip and make a deal with the feds. Someone will go to far. Or favors to COS by LAPD line troops, or command staff, or lawmakers will come to light...

A criminal conspiracy is viral, so any cop, city admin type or legislator who can be linked to it will trigger fed scrutiny, but also opens any involved government entity to incredible tort liability. And remember, any wog players will roll over on the church in two seconds as their eternity is not at risk.

Uh, so? :confused2:

That simply means that when the eventual class action suits happen by former staff and public, City of LA, County of Riverside will be named as plaintiffs and if linked to the criminal conspiracy in a civil case will face massive payout for giving COS a pass instead of enforcing the laws they swore to uphold.:eyeroll:

That's the chink in the COS armor. And there are some big dog lawyers out there who like money a lot more than they fear fair game. Not only will they pierce the business fiction of CST as a licensing entity, but the taxpayers will have to pay for the bad judgment of our officials.

I agree. The eggs were laid, the chickens were hatched and left the coop. Jus wait'n now for them to come home to roost. What's that squawk'n sound we can hear???:omg: