What's new

Reporting a post

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator
If a member wishes to bring a post or thread to the attention of management, they can click on this symbol and report it. This symbol is found in the header bar of every post on the board. An email will be sent to all moderators to make them aware of it.

Hopefully it won't get used too often. But is there for you if ever needed.

The person reporting the post will remain anonymous to everyone except the moderators.

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator
*Bump*

Use the report a post function to let me know about Spam as well as abusive posts.

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator
"Bump" - in light of some recent goings on.

I don't read every single post on this board every day.

If you spot something that you think should be bought to my attention please use the "report a post" function.

Thanks!

programmer_guy

True Ex-Scientologist
I have used it to report spam.

Also:
There is a way to obstruct the creation of automated spam accounts but I don't know if phpBB software has a feature you can enable that supports this method.

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa
I have used it to report spam.

Also:
There is a way to obstruct the creation of automated spam accounts but I don't know if phpBB software has a feature you can enable that supports this method.

Is there, really?

I would be interested in this.

Do tell.

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
Is there, really?

I would be interested in this.

Do tell.

The usual method nowdays is using a 'graphic' number that needs to be entered during sign in, but, I haven't seen much in the way of 'automated' spam here anyway.

5 or 6 a week isn't 'automated'; 300 - 3000 is :)

Zinj

programmer_guy

True Ex-Scientologist
Zinj said:
The usual method nowdays is using a 'graphic' number that needs to be entered during sign in...

That is exactly what I was refering to.

Zinj said:
...but, I haven't seen much in the way of 'automated' spam here anyway.

Either you are mistaken or didn't see them before they were deleted OR I am mistaken about the nature of what I think caused them.

Oh, well... :)

Zinjifar

That is exactly what I was refering to.

Either you are mistaken or didn't see them before they were deleted OR I am mistaken about the nature of what I think caused them.

Oh, well... :)

Oh well indeed :)

I'm in and out a lot during the day and I usually check things here while I'm doing computer stuff (as opposed to the woodworking I have scheduled for myself) and, I see 'some' spam, but, very little. New 'topics' with single posts.

Maybe Emma's already deleting things before I see them... but, I doubt it.

I suspect single spammers post single spam posts; nothing requiring 'automatic' software (or that could be defended against, except by deleting it)

Zinj

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator
I've deleted about 1000 spammer accounts in the last 7 months.

After a while you see a pattern. They are not automated and often use the same email address over & over. Quite often they never get through the complete registration process because you need a legit email address to do that.

The odd one who does get through the process usually posts in the off topic section. Sometimes I catch them in the act. Sometimes I catch them before they can post & sometimes they get to post. Those are the ones you see.

Zinjifar

I've deleted about 1000 spammer accounts in the last 7 months.

After a while you see a pattern. They are not automated and often use the same email address over & over. Quite often they never get through the complete registration process because you need a legit email address to do that.

The odd one who does get through the process usually posts in the off topic section. Sometimes I catch them in the act. Sometimes I catch them before they can post & sometimes they get to post. Those are the ones you see.

Well good for you. The end result is very little spam. Naturally, that's the best defense, because, once you let them sit, it's like ants :)

Zinj

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator
Bump.

Please all read newly.

I can't possibly read all posts to ESMB on a daily basis and rely on all members to be self policing.

Please help to keep ESMB civil & friendly by reporting posts so that I may act on them.

Don't let anyone change to board into something else. Please, I need your help.

Thanks,

Emma