What's new

Melbourne Org Site Auction Cancelled AGAIN!!!

Guero

Patron
http://www.realestatesource.com.au/Victoria/Church-of-Scientology-Cancels-Auction.html

Written by Marc Pallisco
Sunday, 30 November 2008
PROSPECTIVE purchasers and commercial real estate agents were left standing at the altar again this week, after the Church of Scientology abandoned the sale of its city headquarters, just hours before a scheduled auction.

The Church blamed planning delays, and other issues concerning the development of its new headquarters, as the reason it cannot vacate its 4-level Melbourne home of almost 30 years.

This excuse was cold comfort for the dozens of investors who had shown an interest in the 42 - 44 Russell Street building, many who had flown from interstate to bid, sources say.

Colliers International agents Matt Stagg and Pat Burke were apologetic, and left to deal with prospective buyers the agency could not contact by phone or email, before the 1pm Thursday auction.

The agents said the campaign generated excellent interest from a wide range of buyers. It was expected to sell for about $8 million, possibly more since the luxurious Grand Hyatt Melbourne hotel was reopened next door, after a major $40 million renovation.

The Church says it is will remarket its outgoing Russell Street property, once issues with its Ascot Vale property are resolved, most likely next year. The Church plans to move to the former Sisters of Mercy College in Mt Alexander Road, which it has been refurbishing.

The Church left commercial real estate agency DTZ with a congregation of angry prospective purchasers, after similarly withdrawing the property from sale, before a scheduled auction in October 2005.

Now what could be the hold up this time?

Royal Prince Xenu

Trust the Psi Corps.
Since when has any org been able to stay in sync with the real world? Every "event" is a Hill 10*, being desperately arranged at the last minute. What's the surprise here?

*If someone can explain the derivation of this term, I would be delighted.

scooter

Gold Meritorious Patron
The last news I heard was a few months ago and they needed a few million to reno the place

AND a solution was needed for the lack of parking spaces.

AND it was going to cost a fortune to heat it in winter.

AND there was a problem with the plans

AND

:confused2:

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Since when has any org been able to stay in sync with the real world? Every "event" is a Hill 10*, being desperately arranged at the last minute. What's the surprise here?

*If someone can explain the derivation of this term, I would be delighted.

Derivation. From what I remember, according to Hubbard it relates to the military designation of an important hill in a particular battle, and there was a schedule for the battle involving the home troops taking off from that point at a particular time. The only problem was that the planners had omitted to say - dunno if they knew it or not - that the hill happened to be held by the enemy at the time. So there was a godawful frantic effort to capture the hill in time in order to be able to leave from it on schedule.

The news story is interesting for that reason also, as you mention. The CofS must have known weeks ahead of the scheduled auction that it wasn't going to happen. Did they bother to tell anyone? Nah. Who cares about a bunch of wogs?

Paul

Panda Termint

Cabal Of One
<...snip>
The news story is interesting for that reason also, as you mention. The CofS must have known weeks ahead of the scheduled auction that it wasn't going to happen. Did they bother to tell anyone? Nah. Who cares about a bunch of wogs?

Paul
Yes, they might have known ahead of time but, if my experience is anything to go by, there was probably a rather hefty CSW (usually a full binder or two) bouncing around in Up-lines Limbo waiting for an "OK to Sell" that was never going to come.
The Premises Mission/Project i/c is probably still on life-support.
There's no bureaucracy quite like an SO bureaucracy. :omg:

Guero

Patron
Good lord, it'd be hilarious if it hadn't put so many other people out. I think this is the first time I've felt sorry for a real estate agent!

I have to ask, why are they even bothering with this Ascot Vale site at all? Realistically, isn't the current Melb Org big enough? Every time I've passed it (and the one time I actually went inside) it's always looked quite sparse in terms of people.

It's like having a Scout troop of twenty and then buying the MCG to house them, in my opinion.

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
Yes, they might have known ahead of time but, if my experience is anything to go by, there was probably a rather hefty CSW (usually a full binder or two) bouncing around in Up-lines Limbo waiting for an "OK to Sell" that was never going to come.
The Premises Mission/Project i/c is probably still on life-support.
There's no bureaucracy quite like an SO bureaucracy. :omg:

You're so right! :dieslaughing:

I remember the CSW/book for the original purchase of that building bouncing back and forth! It's a wonder we moved in at all.

Guero

Patron
So I passed the Melb Org the other day and noticed that it still has a For Sale sign... Good luck to em...They'll need it!