What's new

The Self-affirmations of L. Ron Hubbard

Veda

Sponsor
There's a pattern to these Affirmations ("Admissions"), a pattern that is reflected in later Scientology, and has been described as "schizophrenic," or "dichotomous."

The "Overt/Covert" pattern of the subject and organization of Scientology ("PR is overt. Intelligence is covert.") can be seen in these Affirmations.

Hubbard writes that he tells the truth (the visible, or "overt"), then writes (the covert), "No matter what lies you tell others, they have no physical effect on you of any kind." And, "You can tell all the romantic tales you wish. You will remember them. But you know which ones were lies. You are so logical, you will tell nothing that cannot be believed."

Hubbard then goes on to explain how he can take the adventures of others and adopt them as his own - in other words, prevaricate and misrepresent - and yet, he "tells the truth," etc.

It should be mentioned that these Affirmations are not complete - that there are more. More from 1946, and - apparently - more from the 1930s. Before any of this was known, by way of the reading into the court record of sections of the Affirmations, L. Ron Hubbard Jr. had commented that his father used self-hypnosis and Affirmation-type short statements, repeated to himself through a sound-recorder, to boost his self-confidence. Ron Jr. also added that his father would sometimes combine drug use with these Affirmation-phrases. Both assertions were ridiculed as crazy by Scientologists, who knew that the founder of Scientology couldn't possibly have practiced self-hypnosis or have taken drugs.

One Affirmation omitted from this partial list of Affirmations is, "All men shall be your slaves. All women shall succumb to your charms. All Mankind shall grovel at your feet and not know why."

Another Affirmation that didn't make into this incomplete list is, "It doesn't give me displeasure to hear of a virgin being raped. The lot of women is to be fornicated."

One that did make into this collection is, "You can be merciless when your will is crossed, and you have the right to be merciless."

Hubbard, however, does not see himself as anything but true and noble. "You are light and you are good. You have the wisdom of all and never doubt your wisdom."

He adds, "You have magnificent power but you are humble and calm and patient in that power. For you control all forces under you as you wish."

And, then, "Men are your slaves."

And, "Your writing has a deep hypnotic effect on people and they are always pleased with what you write."

"Your psychology is advanced and true and wonderful. It hypnotizes people. It predicts their emotions, for you are their ruler."

Last edited:

JustanotherEX

Patron with Honors
In some ways it seems the old farts use of affirmations was quite effective indeed.... Reflected in the mindset of so many both within and without the church who yet believe him to be the "Savior", infallable and filled with sweetness and light, who did it all for the "sake of humanity".

As some have pointed out, the method used is like playing with fire. Still, fire can be a useful tool in some circumstances.

But the way Hubbard used it? It's like he was asking for a trip through his own self generated madness. Too bad so many signed up to go along for the ride.... But that is covered in some of his affirmations as well. He wanted company for the trip.

He not only got that, but plenty are still on that trip.

me myself & i

Patron Meritorious

"Your psychology is advanced and wonderful. It hypnotizes people. It predicts their emotions, for you are their ruler."

What I find striking is the absence of noticing the obvious regarding hubbard and his affirmations/admissions relative to the swallower's of scientology throughout the history of it.

Namely, scientology theory and doctrine worked (and works) only on individuals of a certain mental/emotional predisposition, which mental/emotional predisposition evidently mimicks hubbard's own mental and or emotional predispostion. To wit: a secret desire to be like hubbard is the calling card of all of his followers. Or if not all, then some 99.9 percent.

With or without his admissions to themselves.

A hard pill to swallow to be sure.

Spiritually speaking, water seeks its own level.

-------

Hubbard imagined the subconscious aspect of being to be junior to the conscious aspect of being. Which imagination-fulfilled merely required his conscious assertion or affirmation of it being so, so he thought. Which is to say, in so many words, hubbard was an egomaniac. And true to the course, was deluded.

And his followers share in his fondness for such error (and are factually egomaniacs too, spiritually speakiing). For more often than not they ultimately suffer the consequences that hubbard did too. Which consequences are (and were) evidenced not only by his ultimate and final individual expression of being (think about it), but by the expression of his church to this day.

And to this day we have his "I am a scientologist" mantra proclaimed by otherwise innocent and intelligent individuals whom sleep to the insanity of his fundamental premise, being, the conscious is senior to the unconscious.

For the record, the conscious is not senior to the unconscious.

Nor does it rule it. Nor does it direct it. Nor does it preceed it.

It is Mickey Mouse proclaiming itself Walt.

mm&i
&we

P.S. Lol, nary a scientologist in the whole world today would dare speak with me regarding this issue. For the simple reason it would violate their secret admissions. Just like it would violate Ron's.

Last edited:

me myself & i

Patron Meritorious
Where is Alan or Alex when you need them? (to respond)

What I find striking is the absence of noticing the obvious regarding hubbard and his affirmations/admissions relative to the swallower's of scientology throughout the history of it.

Namely, scientology theory and doctrine worked (and works) only on individuals of a certain mental/emotional predisposition, which mental/emotional predisposition evidently mimicks hubbard's own mental and or emotional predispostion. To wit: a secret desire to be like hubbard is the calling card of all of his followers. Or if not all, then some 99.9 percent.

With or without his admissions to themselves.

A hard pill to swallow to be sure.

Spiritually speaking, water seeks its own level.

-------

Hubbard imagined the subconscious aspect of being to be junior to the conscious aspect of being. Which imagination-fulfilled merely required his conscious assertion or affirmation of it being so, so he thought. Which is to say, in so many words, hubbard was an egomaniac. And true to the course, was deluded.

And his followers share in his fondness for such error (and are factually egomaniacs too, spiritually speakiing). For more often than not they ultimately suffer the consequences that hubbard did too. Which consequences are (and were) evidenced not only by his ultimate and final individual expression of being (think about it), but by the expression of his church to this day.

And to this day we have his "I am a scientologist" mantra proclaimed by otherwise innocent and intelligent individuals whom sleep to the insanity of his fundamental premise, being, the conscious is senior to the unconscious.

For the record, the conscious is not senior to the unconscious.

Nor does it rule it. Nor does it direct it. Nor does it preceed it.

It is Mickey Mouse proclaiming itself Walt.

mm&i
&we

P.S. Lol, nary a scientologist in the whole world today would dare speak with me regarding this issue. For the simple reason it would violate their secret admissions. Just like it would violate Ron's.

Last edited:

Peter Soderqvist

Patron with Honors
Soderqvist1: This is also part of his affirmations, which you should take into consideration!

The purpose of this experiment
is to re-establish the ambition, willpower, desire to survive, the talent and confidence of myself.
To accomplish the above the following fears must be removed

Course 1
d. Any distaste I may have for Jack Parsons originated in a psychic experiment. Such distaste is foolish. He is my friend and comrade-in-arms.

L. That I wrote a great book in The One Command and that it removed all my fears even until now, except that my chapters on the mind do not affect my own mind. That I have will power and great mental control. That I need not associate anything unless I wish.

M. That I have only friendship for Jack Parsons.

N. That I feel no wish for vengeance toward anyone. That I love people and believe in honor and glory.

Course 2
You have no doubts about God. You never speculate about him. You are assured that whatever you do is right in his eyes.
Your faith is so strong you could move mountains. You have deep trust and faith in God and have no fear of what he may do to you and your friends. He will never punish you. Some day you will merge with him and become part of the All when his bidding you have finished in these lives.
http://www.b-org.demon.nl/scn/nl/english/admissions-hubbard.html

A Piece of Blue Sky his magickal Career
Technical Bulletins of Dianetics & Scientology, vol. 3, p. 31
One chap by the way, gave us solid fuel rockets and assist take-offs for airplanes too heavily loaded, and all the rest of this rocketry panorama, and who [sic] formed Aero jet in California and so on. The late Jack Parsons... was not a chemist, the way we think of chemists. . . . He eventually became quite a man.
http://www.clambake.org/archive/books/apobs/bs2-6.htm

Soderqvist1: I have read the book Freedom is a Two-Edged Sword by Jack Parsons and I have found his book online here in an abbreviated form, so let’s see what Ron’s Comrade-in-arms has to say?

Freedom is a Two-Edged Sword Chapter 1.
For numberless centuries society accepted the proposition that certain men were created to be slaves. Their natural function was to serve priests, kings and nobles, men of substance and property who were appointed slave-masters by almighty God. Against this doctrine, some two hundred years ago, rose the most astonishing heresy the world has yet seen; the principle of liberalism. In essence this principle stated that all men are created equal and endowed with inalienable rights, which belong to every man as his birthright. It seems necessary to redefine Freedom in the terms understood by Voltaire, Paine, Washington, Jefferson and Emerson. Freedom is a two-edged sword of which one edge is liberty and the other, responsibility. Both edges are exceedingly sharp and the weapon is not suited to casual, cowardly or treacherous hands. No man, no group and no nation has the right to any man's individual freedom. No matter how pure the motive, how great the emergency, how high the principle, such action is tyranny and is never justified. These rights must be counterbalanced by certain responsibilities. The liberal accepting them must guarantee these rights to all others at all times, regardless of his personal feelings or interests.
http://www.greylodge.org/occultreview/glor_001/freedomsword.htm

The Creeds And Codes of Scientology We of the Church believe:
That all men of whatever race, color or creed were created with equal rights; That all men have inalienable rights to their own lives;
That the souls of men have the rights of men; And we of the Church believe that the laws of God forbid man: To destroy or enslave another’s soul;
http://www.whatisscientology.org/html/Part14/Chp40/pg0729.html

Soderqvist1: The Chapter by Jon Atack as linked to earlier also claim this “To Crowley, Babalon was a manifestation of the Hindu goddess Shakti, who in one of her aspects is also called the "destroyer of man."

Soderqvist1: Let’s see what Parsons has to say about the “destroyer of man”?

Endnote by Frater Belarion (Jack Parsons)
Somewhere in the world today there is a woman for whom the Sword is forged. Somewhere there is one who has heard the trumpets of the New Age and who will respond. She will respond, this new woman, to the high clamor of those sar-trumpets; she will come as a perilous flame and a devious song, a voice in the judgement halls, a banner before armies. She will come girt with the Sword of Freedom. Before her, kings and priests will tremble, cities and empires will fall, and she will be called BABALON, The Scarlet Woman. She will be lustful and proud, subtle and deadly forthright and invincible as a naked blade. Women will respond to her war cry, throwing off their chains, men will respond to her challenge, forsaking foolish ways. She will shine as the ruddy Evening Star in the lurid sunset of Gotterdamerung. She will shine again as a Morning Star when the night has passed and a new dawn breaks over the garden of Pan. To you, oh unknown woman, is The Sword of Freedom pledged.

Soderqvist1: Jack Parsons was a ladies man and his poetry is beautiful!

Last edited:

Veda

Sponsor
Nice attempt at PR damage control, taylored to the 'public' at ESMB. Hopefully, no one will quote Judge Breckenridge and burst the bubble.

Soderqvist1: This is also part of his affirmations, which you should take into consideration!

The purpose of this experiment
is to re-establish the ambition, willpower, desire to survive, the talent and confidence of myself.
To accomplish the above the following fears must be removed

Course 1
d. Any distaste I may have for Jack Parsons originated in a psychic experiment. Such distaste is foolish. He is my friend and comrade-in-arms.

L. That I wrote a great book in The One Command and that it removed all my fears even until now, except that my chapters on the mind do not affect my own mind. That I have will power and great mental control. That I need not associate anything unless I wish.

Excerpt from a letter written, by Ron Hubbard to wife Polly a.k.a. 'Skipper', soon after the writing of the unpublished manuscript, 'The One Command' ('Excalibur'):

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showpost.php?p=80902&postcount=43

http://forum.exscn.net/showpost.php?p=64970&postcount=41

What was there about Hubbard's "chapters on the mind" that he wanted it to affect others' minds, but not his own mind?
M. That I have only friendship for Jack Parsons.

N. That I feel no wish for vengeance toward anyone. That I love people and believe in honor and glory.

Course 2
You have no doubts about God. You never speculate about him. You are assured that whatever you do is right in his eyes.
Your faith is so strong you could move mountains. You have deep trust and faith in God and have no fear of what he may do to you and your friends. He will never punish you. Some day you will merge with him and become part of the All when his bidding you have finished in these lives.
http://www.b-org.demon.nl/scn/nl/english/admissions-hubbard.html

A Piece of Blue Sky his magickal Career
Technical Bulletins of Dianetics & Scientology, vol. 3, p. 31
One chap by the way, gave us solid fuel rockets and assist take-offs for airplanes too heavily loaded, and all the rest of this rocketry panorama, and who [sic] formed Aero jet in California and so on. The late Jack Parsons... was not a chemist, the way we think of chemists. . . . He eventually became quite a man.
http://www.clambake.org/archive/books/apobs/bs2-6.htm

Soderqvist1: I have read the book Freedom is a Two-Edged Sword by Jack Parsons and I have found his book online here in an abbreviated form, so let’s see what Ron’s Comrade-in-arms has to say?

Freedom is a Two-Edged Sword Chapter 1.
For numberless centuries society accepted the proposition that certain men were created to be slaves. Their natural function was to serve priests, kings and nobles, men of substance and property who were appointed slave-masters by almighty God. Against this doctrine, some two hundred years ago, rose the most astonishing heresy the world has yet seen; the principle of liberalism. In essence this principle stated that all men are created equal and endowed with inalienable rights, which belong to every man as his birthright. It seems necessary to redefine Freedom in the terms understood by Voltaire, Paine, Washington, Jefferson and Emerson. Freedom is a two-edged sword of which one edge is liberty and the other, responsibility. Both edges are exceedingly sharp and the weapon is not suited to casual, cowardly or treacherous hands. No man, no group and no nation has the right to any man's individual freedom. No matter how pure the motive, how great the emergency, how high the principle, such action is tyranny and is never justified. These rights must be counterbalanced by certain responsibilities. The liberal accepting them must guarantee these rights to all others at all times, regardless of his personal feelings or interests.

The Creeds And Codes of Scientology We of the Church believe:
That all men of whatever race, color or creed were created with equal rights; That all men have inalienable rights to their own lives;
That the souls of men have the rights of men; And we of the Church believe that the laws of God forbid man: To destroy or enslave another’s soul;
http://www.whatisscientology.org/html/Part14/Chp40/pg0729.html

-snip-

Why not just link to the ($cientology) perimeter defense 'PR damage control' site from which much of this comes?

And, on another thread, tell about the wins on the student hat...

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showpost.php?p=198121&postcount=145

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
It seems odd to me how upset people get about the affs. He wrote them years before he started Scn. They're just maunderings and wishful thinking.

lionheart

Gold Meritorious Patron
It seems odd to me how upset people get about the affs. He wrote them years before he started Scn. They're just maunderings and wishful thinking.

... which he realised in the world in the form of the Church of Scientology with it's absolute obedience to LRH, his riches, and his control of people's minds.

Personally, I'm not upset about the "affs". I have an admiration for his ability to make the affirmations become a reality. A sicko, but admirable sicko. :roflmao:

I notice how often when the affirmations are discussed, you post something attempting to make them insignificant in the development of Scn, despite the, to some people, obvious connections between the affirmations and his Church.

You think there is no connection. Fine. Is it also necessary to say people who think there is are "upset"?

Do you see what I mean? Couldn't one say this: It seems odd to me how upset people get about a link being made between the affs and Scientology.

Do you see? It is making a leap to say your post is an "upset" because there is no written evidence of that in your words. Just as it is a leap for you to say others are "upset".

The CofS assigns criticism of LRH to "case" to upsets to overts.

It is the slave-control system that Hubbard set up.

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
I don't know that there is or isn't a connection. I think there might be but then again there might not be. My personal guess is that there is a connection but that it's not as significant and isn't to the extent that some people think.

I believe people place altered importance on it. And by altered importance, I don't mean that no one should assign or place any importance. I just think it's exaggerated.

It's always been clear to me that Hubbard cared about Scn and producing effects. I can tell from the content and how much work he put into it. But it's also very clear to me from his history that he was also power hungry, greedy and unfair and that this did NOT suddenly manifest in the last decade of his life. It was there from early on. Both things can be balanced out with one another as they are not mutually exclusive.

lionheart

Gold Meritorious Patron
<snip>
But it's also very clear to me from his history that he was also power hungry, greedy and unfair and that this did NOT suddenly manifest in the last decade of his life. It was there from early on. <snip>

Good points in all of your post. I've snipped the above because aren't his affirmations full of his power hunger, greed and unfairness?

So we had these personality characteristics in his affirmations, his early Scn years, his Sea Org days, and his last decade.

Is there not a constant pattern? Are his affirmations "just maunderings and wishful thinking"?

I believe they are the key to understanding the man. They express his problems, insecurities, rections to life. All the things he later called "case".

Read them and they give one the key to all of Scientology, in my opinion. They are a fascinating self-penned insight into the man. More than any biography could be.

They even contain the key to why he worked so hard developing Scn and why he "cared about Scn and producing effects".

There is no need to be upset about it. He actually is a fascinating man. His realised manifestation called Scientology is fascinating. Remember the magic he was involved in back then was all about physical universe manifestation. He pulled it off!

It's a pity he was paranoid and psychotic! Otherwise with that horsepower of intention, he could have created a truly wonderful, beautiful manifestation. Instead we are left with the Church of Scientology! :sadangel:

Ron's affirmations

Veda

Sponsor
Scientology Inc.'s settlement agreement with Gerry Armstrong was a "global settlement." (It involved many separate cases, where any one person refusing to settle would derail the agreement for all others, thus imposing a form of duress on each person, who knew that others, often in debt to friends and family, having hospital bills, mortgages, etc. were in need of the funds from a settlement). Armstrong, under pressure of this "global settlement," agreed to the terms of 11 December 1986:

In essence, he was expected to remain silent on all things having to do with L. Ron Hubbard and Scientology. The agreement also specifically stipulated the return of "All originals and copies of documents commonly known as the 'Affirmations' written by L. Ron Hubbard."

Omar Garrison, Hubbard's official biographer - whom Armstrong had assisted - also signed a similar agreement.

Scientology Inc. took possession of Hubbard's 'Affirmations', which are more extensive than those currently available on the Net as the (1946) 'Admissions'. However, there were "leaks," as copies of the 'Affirmations' had been made by individuals not involved with the settlement, prior to the settlement, and are now "out there," and are (in part) currently available on the Net.

Scientology has the complete existing record of Hubbard's 'Affirmations' which, apparently, date from the 1930s through the late 1940s, and has no intention of allowing anyone to see them.

Hopefully, in time, more of these leaked 'Affirmations' will become available.

The content of Hubbard's 'Affirmations' is, of course, problematic for Scientology, however, there's more - It opens the door to two areas that Scientology Inc. considers dangerous to Hubbard's image: That Hubbard practiced self-hypnosis, and that Hubbard used drugs, notably psycho-active pharmaceutical drugs, much of his life, before and after 1950.

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showpost.php?p=198773&postcount=21

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showpost.php?p=56246&postcount=798

me myself & i

Patron Meritorious
Good points in all of your post.....

....It's a pity he was paranoid and psychotic! Otherwise with that horsepower of intention, he could have created a truly wonderful, beautiful manifestation. Instead we are left with the Church of Scientology! :sadangel:

Ron's affirmations

Dear Lionheart, perhaps you speak too quickly? Lol.

Perhaps in a future 'now' the church of scientology (as well as it's founder) will be a mere-footnote in history whilst one great-great-great-grandchild of a Goldstein or a Galusha or a Walters or a Zinj or an Alanzo or even (God forbid) a Lionheart will be the vehicle for that truly wonderful beautiful manifestation you speak of?

In the world (of imagination) I live in, such fanciful thinking is conceivable.

mm&i
&we

me myself & i

Patron Meritorious
I think the key to understanding a concept is the act of examining the concept itself.

By examining a concept do you mean experiencing it?

Or do you merely mean thinking about it?

Ron called his thinking about concepts, research.

Is that what you mean too?

mm&i
&we

lionheart

Gold Meritorious Patron
Dear Lionheart, perhaps you speak too quickly? Lol.

Perhaps in a future 'now' the church of scientology (as well as it's founder) will be a mere-footnote in history whilst one great-great-great-grandchild of a Goldstein or a Galusha or a Walters or a Zinj or an Alanzo or even (God forbid) a Lionheart will be the vehicle for that truly wonderful beautiful manifestation you speak of?

In the world (of imagination) I live in, such fanciful thinking is conceivable.

mm&i
&we

:hysterical:

Hey but why "God forbid" in reference to Lionheart? Should I feel affronted? :confused2: :coolwink:

However, be that as it may, rest assured there will be no Lionheartism.

The main lesson I have learned from scientology is that the only vehicle for that beautiful manifestation is YOU!

Oh, that's a Lionheartism - let's write it down and preserve it for eternity so we can attain a lionheart! :duh:

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
By examining a concept do you mean experiencing it?

Or do you merely mean thinking about it?

Ron called his thinking about concepts, research.

Is that what you mean too?

mm&i
&we

Oh, hey, Moj- oh, I mean mm&i & we...

There are many ways of examining concepts, Scn-ish or otherwise. I assume you have a (non Scn/English) dictionary handy and don't need me to define the word "examine".