What's new

Church of Scientology Geneva and Tax

lionheart

Gold Meritorious Patron
When our Sith Lord posted a copy of the release form from the CofS:
http://www.forum.exscn.net/showpost.php?p=223315&postcount=58

I replied,
http://www.forum.exscn.net/showpost.php?p=223841&postcount=80
"I noticed the parties released on this document are Church of Scientology International, which is no surprise; Church of Scientology Religious Education College Inc, which is the Australian Charity that Scn in the UK cloaks itself under for religious tax exemption; and Church of Scientology Geneva.

Anybody know anything about this Swiss organisation?

I'm wondering if this is a fall-back religious cloaking, tax dodging setup, named in case the Australian Senate cancel the charitable status of COSRECI.

Is there any other reason CofS Geneva would be listed as a release party?"

If the CofS is looking to Switzerland for tax exemption status they may have trouble on the horizon:
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Swiss-to-negotiate-tax-apf-14743553.html
The Swiss government announced earlier this month that it will cooperate in international tax investigations, breaking with a long-standing tradition of protecting wealthy foreigners accused of hiding billions of dollars.

Switzerland has come under intense pressure, in particular from the United States, Britain, France and Germany. Most recently Switzerland has been involved in a dispute with the U.S. over wealthy Americans who have assets in its biggest bank, UBS AG.

Last edited:

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)
When our Sith Lord posted a copy of the release from from the CofS:
http://www.forum.exscn.net/showpost.php?p=223315&postcount=58

I replied,
http://www.forum.exscn.net/showpost.php?p=223841&postcount=80
"I noticed the parties released on this document are Church of Scientology International, which is no surprise; Church of Scientology Religious Education College Inc, which is the Australian Charity that Scn in the UK cloaks itself under for religious tax exemption; and Church of Scientology Geneva.

Anybody know anything about this Swiss organisation?

I'm wondering if this is a fall-back religious cloaking, tax dodging setup, named in case the Australian Senate cancel the charitable status of COSRECI.

Is there any other reason CofS Geneva would be listed as a release party?"

If the CofS is looking to Switzerland for tax exemption status they may have trouble on the horizon:
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Swiss-to-negotiate-tax-apf-14743553.html
The Swiss government announced earlier this month that it will cooperate in international tax investigations, breaking with a long-standing tradition of protecting wealthy foreigners accused of hiding billions of dollars.

Switzerland has come under intense pressure, in particular from the United States, Britain, France and Germany. Most recently Switzerland has been involved in a dispute with the U.S. over wealthy Americans who have assets in its biggest bank, UBS AG.

There us no corporate reason that connects the entities - I set up the Class IV (then) Org of Geneva on Mission from FOLO EU and I have been through the incorporation papers. The only possible reason to mention them specifically would be some sort of financial connection between the CofS Geneva and the Sith Lord.

lionheart

Gold Meritorious Patron
Hi Mick. I checked with the Sith Lord and he knows of no financial connection between the CofS Geneva and the Sith Lord. He did no services in Switzerland.

Therefore the fact that CofS Geneva was included on the Sith Lord's Release form, appears significant, as the CofS rarely does anything without reason.

I wonder if there is any way you can check if the status of CofS Geneva has altered since you helped incorporate it?

Did it have tax exempt status in Switzerland? Or would a Swiss entity like CofS Geneva have tax exempt status in another country like the UK?

I believe Switzerland is a tax haven, at present, in that financial affairs there are confidential.

Sometimes I am like a dog with a bone and this mysterious inclusion of CofS Geneva must be significant.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Hi Mick. I checked with the Sith Lord and he knows of no financial connection between the CofS Geneva and the Sith Lord. He did no services in Switzerland.

Therefore the fact that CofS Geneva was included on the Sith Lord's Release form, appears significant, as the CofS rarely does anything without reason.

It could just be a copypasta error. Like the person just ran off the "right" form without reading it too carefully, and it was from an earlier repayment where there was a genuine connection. In the computer age where docs are stored on hard drives and not in manila folders things like this happen. Or maybe there was something misfiled in Les's accounts file from someone else.

Paul

lionheart

Gold Meritorious Patron
It could just be a copypasta error. Like the person just ran off the "right" form without reading it too carefully, and it was from an earlier repayment where there was a genuine connection. In the computer age where docs are stored on hard drives and not in manila folders things like this happen. Or maybe there was something misfiled in Les's accounts file from someone else.

Paul

True. Or it could be important to the CofS, that CofS Geneva was also released from future action by the Sith Lord.

Lesolee (Sith Lord)

Patron Meritorious
Or maybe there was something misfiled in Les's accounts file from someone else.
That's highly implausible. When they used to have folders with handwritten dodgy crap in then maybe so. But it has all be computerised for years now. You can't get stuff into the computer that easily, methinks.

I definitely "vote" for the 'copied from previous document' theory.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
That's highly implausible. When they used to have folders with handwritten dodgy crap in then maybe so. But it has all be computerised for years now. You can't get stuff into the computer that easily, methinks.

I definitely "vote" for the 'copied from previous document' theory.

Fair enough. I definitely hail from the handwritten-dodgy-crap era. :)

Paul

Lesolee (Sith Lord)

Patron Meritorious
Fair enough. I definitely hail from the handwritten-dodgy-crap era.
I was just looking at one (kept for "sentimental reasons".)
OTI/II/III package at 42% OT package discount.
+ 15% lifetime award discount
+ 2% passport discount.

So that was £6808.51 down to £3865.12
(That is a 1994 dodgy handwritten invoice :eyeroll: )

Amazing how "donations" are discounted. :hysterical: