What's new

Stupid Cult Moron John Devries

Pooks

MERCHANT OF CHAOS
This story sounds so bogus. If true, then this Scilon Jon Devries was hard-sell pressuring a disabled guy, who cant work , is in heavy debt , with 3 kids, to buy a $3,500 set of books telling him it would take away his disability. Devries gives his phone # says to call.

Devries is the stupid cult moron that once worked in Div 6 in Boston with the infamous Cary Goulston. Devrie and Goulston were known as the "Books Brothers" because they sold so many Dianetics Books on the streets of Boston.

Let me tell you a short story about the stupidity of Devries.

Back in late 80's early 90's Devries was the head of Div 6 at the Boston Org. Div 6 is the recruitment of the raw meat division.

One of the jobs in Div 6 is the Basic Course Supervisor. This is a special Course room for brand new raw meat where the simplest and cheapest of Scn courses are delivered. The Div 6 Course Sup needed to attend a wedding in his family and was not being allowed to go unless he had a replacement for the day, covering his post.

I volunteer to hold his post (as I did with many staff who had to attend family functions and couldn't get off without a replacement).

When I got to the org and looked over who was scheduled for course that day, I saw that
4 people were scheduled and all were on the 2nd or 3rd day of their one week course.

Things were moving along smoothly when Devries came into the course room and told me he wanted to go over my "targets" for the day. Targets = stats. So he asked me, what was my target for number of completions, and I told him none as everyone was in the middle of the course and would not be finishing that day. Devries looked at me with whacked out TR 0 stare and said " Your target for the day is 6 completions."

I know my mouth dropped open at his profound stupidity and insanity, and I was a full fledged cultist myself at the time. I didn't argue with him as I knew it would get me no where so I just ack'd him and he left. He got recruited into the sea org a few months after that and I was happy to see him gone.

This is the same numbskull that wrote the email below.

--- On Sat, 4/11/09, Jon Devries <[email protected]> wrote:

Subject: LRH Basics in Action Again
To: [email protected]
Date: Saturday, April 11, 2009

Dear Scientologist,

They just keep coming – another success from reading and listening to the L Ron Hubbard Basics Books and Lectures:

There is a man named Jason from Minnesota that I spoke to a few months ago. He is 30 years old, has 3 small kids and had been fully disabled for 2 years and unable to work. He was in heavy medical debt. He did not see how he could do anything about it. He did not see how he could get his own set of the LRH Basics Books and Lectures materials even though he wanted them badly. He was staring at being sick and disabled for the rest of his life and unable to provide for his growing family the things they needed and wanted. After much discussion and worry he told me that he decided he didn’t want to life like this for the rest of his life and so got the Basics Books and Lectures package materials. Then I didn’t hear from him for 2-3 months. I suddenly got a fax in from him out of the blue. He had been reading and listening to the LRH Basics Books and Lectures and then had used the counseling procedures that L Ron Hubbard gives in the books and lectures that one can do on oneself.

He called to tell me how he now found life incredibly more pleasurable than he did before and that the study of the materials had also tremendously helped him as an artist, at his job and as a spiritual being. I asked him what he was talking about on the job as I remembered his as fully disabled. He said, oh no, not anymore, and told me that he had completely blown the physical disability some time ago and was full time back at work. He is continuing on his studies in Scientology and is a completely changed man.

Call me - 323-953-3463. You will get the very best possible discount and free shipping and data on the mind, spirit and life that will guarantee you real personal self-confidence and security. $3,500 for the whole package which is an $1,100 discount if you order right now. 18 hardcover books and 280 LRH lectures on compact disc with full transcript and glossaries.

Jon De Vries
LRH Materials Consultant
Church of Scientology
American Saint Hill Day Org
1413 L Ron Hubbard Way
Los Angeles CA 90027

© 2009 BPI. All Rights Reserved. LRH, L Ron Hubbard, are trademarks and service marks owned by Religious Technology Center and is used with its permission. SCIENTOLOGIST is a collective membership mark designating members of the affiliated churches and missions of Scientology. Programmed in USA.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Yes. Docs or GTFO, as they say. It is not impossible that the story is true, but how many others are there who simply ended up deeper in debt and more hopeless?

Paul

ILived1984!

Patron with Honors
I had a few run-ins with Devries at PAC and he always came off as wierd particularly after one time he kept asking me a very irrelevant (crazy) question repeatedly in an antogonistic tone. All I did was walk into his org to buy a soda from a machine in the wee hours of the morning and he made the biggest deal out of it like I was cutting across public delivery and being completely off policy with my "body traffic". I can't remember the question but it was something like "what are they going to do when they know it's you?" or some such nonsense. Anyway, I considered him a bot afterwards.

Iknowtoomuch

Gold Meritorious Patron
The name is very familiar.

I'm sure Jason was already in the healing stage of whatever happened to him. Jon makes it sound like a miracle.:D

Soul of Ginnungagab

Patron with Honors
Yes. Docs or GTFO, as they say. It is not impossible that the story is true, but how many others are there who simply ended up deeper in debt and more hopeless?

Paul

It is very likely that the story could be true. The guy bought all that material, and then studied and applied it in his own time and in his own space. With no-one around to push for student points, with no-one around to warn him against self auditing, with no-one trying to reg him to do some other scientology course, basically with no one around interfering.

This way he could actually accomplish what scientology is in fact supposed to accomplish, which is to awaken a person's own abilities, own knowingness and capacities as well as awareness. I think that many scientologists did achieve wins of that type. But what can then go wrong is if they are told to continue with new courses instead of being told simply "congratulations we are so happy for you" and then the person will leave the org and enjoy life.

But wouldn't the org loose public that way? Probably not! A happy customer or client is one of the strongest assets that an organization or company can have, much better than even the smartest PR campaigns. So, things could very well have been looking completely different it that was the way things were run.

clamicide

Gold Meritorious Patron
argh!

This sort of thing just pisses me off. :angry: Not only is it making staff members 'right' for working to bleed folks dry, this shite also is a part of the huge mentality that those who are in trouble or have difficulties are scumbag DBs that just aren't applying Ron's tech. It makes me sick when I think back to how staff talked about public who had problems.

Pooks

MERCHANT OF CHAOS
Moar from John DeVries and LRH whoopers.

Subject: HURRY-LIMITED TIME-LRH MATERIALS-MORE DATA!
To: xxxxxxxxx
Date: Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Additional news on limited time specials is that LRH’s Research and Discovery Volumes 1 through 16 for a very limited time are a full 35% off . In case you don’t know here is what is in these incredible volumes: These are the transcripts for 488 LRH lectures in 16 Volumes that go from June 1950 to 1953. First volume lectures are LRH recorded in his living room right after DMSMH came out.. This period of 1950 to 1953 is where he developed the OT material. “The subject of Scientology is to some degree in reverse order. The task was to undercut the current level of man and this was the general target. Therefore one finds the higher levels publicly spoken of most frequently in the earlier books and tapes (between 51 and 55)”. LRH CURRENT STATE OF THE SUBJECT AND MATERIALS. There are 38 total lectures on the Whole Track in Volumes 10, 11 and 12. Also in Vol 12 is the “Role of Earth” the first lecture with Earth as a prison planet – traps from outer space people on this planet in the Pyrenees Mtns and the Mountains of the Moon. Also on the Second Dynamic LRH gives the whole track reason on why people have trouble on that dynamic. Normal price $2560, right now price $1,664. Stock on this is going VERY FAST. 16 brand new beautiful volume set.

Email back or call 323-953-3463 for all the limited time very high donation discounts available including the whole Congress package at 30% off if you own the Basics and 30% off when you complete your Ultimate Package. Hurry!

Jon De Vries at 323-953-3463

LRH Materials Consultant

Church of Scientology

American Saint Hill Organization

1413 L Ron Hubbard Way

Los Angeles, CA 90027

dexter gelfand

Patron Meritorious
Jon Devries and Cary Goulston

I had a few run-ins with Devries at PAC and he always came off as wierd particularly after one time he kept asking me a very irrelevant (crazy) question repeatedly in an antogonistic tone. All I did was walk into his org to buy a soda from a machine in the wee hours of the morning and he made the biggest deal out of it like I was cutting across public delivery and being completely off policy with my "body traffic". I can't remember the question but it was something like "what are they going to do when they know it's you?" or some such nonsense. Anyway, I considered him a bot afterwards.

I'm sorry to see that Jon Devries apparently behaved that way-my guess is that he'd gotten too close to management and under pressure, began to act like them (PTSness). When I knew John a bit in New York, he came across as high-powered but definitely cheerful and friendly. His wife Inger was also a good friend. Cary Goulsten, on the other hand, I found quite irritating back in '86 when I ran a mission in upstate New York, and he tried to impose his presence and his will on me (with little or no success) as "my senior", the "Commanding Officer, Scientology Missions International, East US" (CO SMI EUS). I thought I'd seen him recently post something on ESMB, so possibly he's rejected the dark side.

Dex

Pooks

MERCHANT OF CHAOS
I bet Marlene's husband is super pissed off!

Subject: Marlene Comes to Cause with LRH Basics
Date: Friday, September 25, 2009,

“Marlene’s LRH Basics Story:

“I found Marlene’s phone number and called her about 10 months ago now. She was last in Scientology about 30 years ago. She was very hesitant and did not want to talk too much but was interested as she remembered the power of LRH’s works. Her husband is not a Scientologist, is long term military and very conservative and did not any want calls coming in to the house for her. So it took quite some time to encourage and get Marlene to watch the Basics Release DVD. When she finally did she loved it.

“She started out by buying the Dianetics Book and the 4 lectures that go with it but did not really get going on this and her husband was still blocking the calls. I decided to just call him and make friends with him and did this and things went a little smoother but Marlene was still going slow and the husband reported her as "too busy to really get going". Then I managed to get a call directly through to her and sold her the new 4 ½ hour long HOW TO USE DIANETICS DVD that puts the entire Dianetics the Modern Science of Mental Health book on film, concept by concept, in visual form with incredible special effects. She called me after she saw this stating she realized she needed auditing and needed it right now to get rid of her engrams. I hooked her up with staff at her nearest org and she bought 3 intensives of Dianetics Auditing.

“At this point she had a major cognition that her husband had been trying for years to solve all of her problems and was not allowing her to solve anything and that it had put her into a very effect viewpoint in life. She told me she realized she needed to come to cause on her own life. I told her study and use of the data in the full Basics Books and Lectures package was how she would do this and she immediately paid for the whole Books and Lectures package. She then signed up for the Books and Lectures courses at the org so she could really roll up her sleeves and study. She got her first two Book One sessions and she called me right after the second session and told me she is now joining staff at the org! She told me she is going on as Central Files Officer and started to describe to me the plans she was working out to get that area of the org whipped into shape!”

Get your own set of the Basics Books and Lectures today and come to cause in your own life. Or complete any missing parts of your Basics Books and Lectures package or LRH Congress series set for up to 30 percent donation discount.

323-953-3463

Jon De Vries

LRH Materials Consultant

1413 L. Ron Hubbard Way

Los Angeles, CA 90027

© 2009 CSWUS. All Rights Reserved. LRH, L. Ron Hubbard, Dianetics, Saint Hill and Scientology are trademarks and service marks owned by Religious Technology Center and are used with its permission.

If you want to be removed from this mailing address ask by return message and cc [email protected]

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
Devries is the stupid cult moron that once worked in Div 6 in Boston with the infamous Cary Goulston. Devrie and Goulston were known as the "Books Brothers" because they sold so many Dianetics Books on the streets of Boston.

I came in around the same time as Jon (around 1979). When I was on the "Up's and Downs in Life Course" (very basic PTS/SP Tech) in the Div 6 Courseroom (think Carl Bredemeire(?) was course sup. To complete my course I had to do a PTS handling on someone and we went around the org and found Jon who had a cold at the time. So did the handling on him.
I was actually one of the original Books Brothers you are referring to, present at the formation of this group. I believe that it started off as Cary, Jon, and myself. The three of us plus Heather Landrey, and another.........hmmmmm, my memory is going, can't recall the 5th person :confused2: anyways, .........we all went from Boston together, drove up to Toronto Org to train with their booksellers as they supposedly had the best team. The 5 of us were stuffed in a little Toyota like sardines. We worked for several days up there with their booksellers, working door-to-door selling books. I remember working these large apartment buildings where you'd have to have a resident buzz you in to unlock the door. The girl (Toronto staff, can't recall name) would push a random buzzer than when someone comes onto the intercom would say something like "UPS" or something like that so we'd be let in.
Really we all had a great time up in Toronto, and it was great getting away from Boston org for some days..........seemed like a vacation almost, even though we were working.
When we returned back to Boston I went out for a few days and sold books on the street, but was never really comfortable with it and bailed out pretty quick. It very soon just became Cary and Jon doing it and they were very good at it.
Personally I liked and admired Jon when working with him at Boston Org. He definitely came to have that "fixed dedicated glare" of a scientologist, seemed very powerful to me, a real leader. Other than during my very brief "Books Brothers" episode, I never worked directly with him in the same division or anything, so never experienced directly that type of crazy unreasonableness in which you described. But I did get that he was really dedicated and fully bought into "clearing the planet" and very Gung Ho. He did have some natural leadership abilities and back then I considered that he could rise to the very top in Co$ management. Before I left Boston in 86' he had joined the sea org and was promoted to the CO CMO EUS. I'm not aware of what happened with him after that. I was hoping to see that he was OUT, but a couple months ago saw that he was not, and was kind of surprised to see that he was doing this "lrh materials" post whatever that is.

Last edited:

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Interesting ack that after 50 years or so central files is not " in shape."!

You ever worked in CF, Terril? At SH, this is what happened through the 13 years that I was there. Maybe it's been updated a bit since.

The CF files are filed alphabetically in filing cabinets. There are usually enough cabinets for all the files. Some of them are a bit rickety, like the drawers don't open too smoothly. There are baskets for loose particles to be filed, like completion attestations, notes of phone calls (ho ho), change-of-address stickers from Addresso. Each CF folder is tabbed with coloured sticky tape to indicate a category. When I was there, from memory: thick green tape = SH Foundation files (at some point these were completely separated out from the AOSHUK ones); blue = T&P (trained and processed, comm course on up although that's a Div 6 course and Div 6/Div 4 tags would have been more sensible); red = hot prospect.

The Letters Out for the week was around 2500-3000, about 2000 of that came from the Letter Reges and the rest from staff letter-writing quotas. Almost all of those letters were written with the CF folder to hand, i.e. 2500 folders a week were removed from the cabinets and refiled each week. Sometimes the folder filing got backlogged (surprise, surprise). A typical drawer would contain maybe 100 files. Of those, maybe 15-25 were writable to, i.e., there was a "valid" address. By valid, I mean there was no returned envelope (or envelopes) filed in the front of the folder showing the address was bad.

I was a Letter Reg was three years. For two of those years I was the "SH Letter Reg", writing to anyone not a hot prospect. Many of the people I wrote to had a CF file containing one piece of paper with info about the person — a carbon copy of an attestation for completing the comm course in ANZO. This was before AOSH ANZO opened. I used to churn out over 1250 letters a week. I dictated them, CF folder in hand. The folders would go in banana boxes to outside typists with the dictation tape. Dave Skull would run them out on his scooter and pick up the boxes and typed letters a couple of days later.

It was a lot of work to pull and refile those folders each week! It involved going to the next cabinet in sequence (it took several weeks to run through A-Z), starting at the front of the drawer, and culling through the files to find those that had "valid" addresses. As an alternative to pulling the files, we tried simply taking over the whole drawer to the Letter Reg, but it took too long for the Letter Reg to sort through the files and the Letters Out stat crashed. Since the Letters Out stat was so important (per Hubbard's policy the Gross Income depended on it, although in reality it didn't at all, but staff believed it did), the Letter Reges quickly dumped that hat back on the poor CF people.

When a person actually replied, which did happen, one needed to find the CF file to go with the letter. About half the time it was found in time to reply to the letter within 24 hours.

Sometimes there were two or more people working full-time in CF, along with people helping out for an hour or so; sometimes one; sometimes none. At one time, Jane Lance (Harris) said she had got CF into PT, i.e. all folders filed and all particles filed. She used to work really hard (as well as look very pretty :)). Most of the time it was backlogged to a smaller or larger extent.

As a sideline to being a Letter Reg I worked in CF for several months, at my own choice and not because I was told to. I used to dictate most of those 1250-1500 letters at the rate of 200 per hour, 400 a day for three days or so. I would take a lot of care over the replies, and some originations, but the letters to people who had completed the comm course in Sydney three years ago and never written back to me I would just churn out. There's a limited amount you can say to someone when all you know is their name, address, date they finished the comm course, and sometimes their handwriting and signature. The rest of the time I would goof off one way or another. Skully didn't mind, as I got his stats up when needed.

Anyway, I got tired of all the wasted effort in filing these CF folders. So I instituted a striping system, using fat felt-tip pens. Each folder showed the name of the person, say Igor Dmitri Szmtrik. Usually to file the folders, they would first be divided into piles (like A-E, F-K etc.), then placed on the correct 4-drawer cabinet, then the pile on the cabinet would be filed, involving a lot of opening and closing and re-opening of drawers. And bending down and straightening up. It was quite finnicky to read the address sticker, figure out what the surname was (does Jane de Hartwell-Smythe go under "D", "H" or "S"?), and where it was meant to go each time. So I personally striped each circulating folder in CF, all 10,000 or so of them. There were four stripes of different colours. The first stripe was equivalent to A-E, F-K etc. The second stripe narrowed it down to a group of several cabinets. The third stripe narrowed it down to the cabinet, the fourth stripe the drawer. Now, instead of peering at a grubby label to sort the folders, you could just glance at the four-inch coloured stripe on the front or back (it ran over the edge so was both front and back and VERY clear — at least until the colour started fading!) and toss it where it was meant to go. It was VERY fast to sort the folders that way. You still had to put them in the drawers, but the preliminary action was a lot faster, and you could file an entire drawer at a time without bending at all if you wanted.

But I digress. The point is that CF can get put into order one week and then be a howling mess a few weeks later with all the ongoing traffic.

Paul

Last edited:

skydog

Patron Meritorious
I bet Marlene's husband is super pissed off!

Subject: Marlene Comes to Cause with LRH Basics
Date: Friday, September 25, 2009,

“Marlene’s LRH Basics Story:

“I found Marlene’s phone number and called her about 10 months ago now. She was last in Scientology about 30 years ago. She was very hesitant and did not want to talk too much but was interested as she remembered the power of LRH’s works. Her husband is not a Scientologist, is long term military and very conservative and did not any want calls coming in to the house for her. So it took quite some time to encourage and get Marlene to watch the Basics Release DVD. When she finally did she loved it.

“She started out by buying the Dianetics Book and the 4 lectures that go with it but did not really get going on this and her husband was still blocking the calls. I decided to just call him and make friends with him and did this and things went a little smoother but Marlene was still going slow and the husband reported her as "too busy to really get going". Then I managed to get a call directly through to her and sold her the new 4 ½ hour long HOW TO USE DIANETICS DVD that puts the entire Dianetics the Modern Science of Mental Health book on film, concept by concept, in visual form with incredible special effects. She called me after she saw this stating she realized she needed auditing and needed it right now to get rid of her engrams. I hooked her up with staff at her nearest org and she bought 3 intensives of Dianetics Auditing.

“At this point she had a major cognition that her husband had been trying for years to solve all of her problems and was not allowing her to solve anything and that it had put her into a very effect viewpoint in life. She told me she realized she needed to come to cause on her own life. I told her study and use of the data in the full Basics Books and Lectures package was how she would do this and she immediately paid for the whole Books and Lectures package. She then signed up for the Books and Lectures courses at the org so she could really roll up her sleeves and study. She got her first two Book One sessions and she called me right after the second session and told me she is now joining staff at the org! She told me she is going on as Central Files Officer and started to describe to me the plans she was working out to get that area of the org whipped into shape!”

Get your own set of the Basics Books and Lectures today and come to cause in your own life. Or complete any missing parts of your Basics Books and Lectures package or LRH Congress series set for up to 30 percent donation discount.

323-953-3463

Jon De Vries

LRH Materials Consultant

1413 L. Ron Hubbard Way

Los Angeles, CA 90027

© 2009 CSWUS. All Rights Reserved. LRH, L. Ron Hubbard, Dianetics, Saint Hill and Scientology are trademarks and service marks owned by Religious Technology Center and are used with its permission.

If you want to be removed from this mailing address ask by return message and cc [email protected]

Lets fast forward a few years here. Soon after joining staff, Marlene figured out that her husband was CI and an SP and filed for divorce. She got a nice settlement in the divorce proceeding and spent it all on auditing and training. After that money was gone, she joined the Sea Org because, after all, clearing the planet is the most worthy goal anyone can have in this life. She excelled in everything she did until David Miscavige diagnosed her as an SP (something about the way she looked at him) and she was placed in the RPF. At that point, she tried to route out of the Sea Org and six months later said 'fuck it' and blew.

Terril park

Sponsor
You ever worked in CF, Terril? At SH, this is what happened through the 13 years that I was there. Maybe it's been updated a bit since.

The CF files are filed alphabetically in filing cabinets. There are usually enough cabinets for all the files. Some of them are a bit rickety, like the drawers don't open too smoothly. There are baskets for loose particles to be filed, like completion attestations, notes of phone calls (ho ho), change-of-address stickers from Addresso. Each CF folder is tabbed with coloured sticky tape to indicate a category. When I was there, from memory: thick green tape = SH Foundation files (at some point these were completely separated out from the AOSHUK ones); blue = T&P (trained and processed, comm course on up although that's a Div 6 course and Div 6/Div 4 tags would have been more sensible); red = hot prospect.

The Letters Out for the week was around 2500-3000, about 2000 of that came from the Letter Reges and the rest from staff letter-writing quotas. Almost all of those letters were written with the CF folder to hand, i.e. 2500 folders a week were removed from the cabinets and refiled each week. Sometimes the folder filing got backlogged (surprise, surprise). A typical drawer would contain maybe 100 files. Of those, maybe 15-25 were writable to, i.e., there was a "valid" address. By valid, I mean there was no returned envelope (or envelopes) filed in the front of the folder showing the address was bad.

I was a Letter Reg was three years. For two of those years I was the "SH Letter Reg", writing to anyone not a hot prospect. Many of the people I wrote to had a CF file containing one piece of paper with info about the person — a carbon copy of an attestation for completing the comm course in ANZO. This was before AOSH ANZO opened. I used to churn out over 1250 letters a week. I dictated them, CF folder in hand. The folders would go in banana boxes to outside typists with the dictation tape. Dave Skull would run them out on his scooter and pick up the boxes and typed letters a couple of days later.

It was a lot of work to pull and refile those folders each week! It involved going to the next cabinet in sequence (it took several weeks to run through A-Z), starting at the front of the drawer, and culling through the files to find those that had "valid" addresses. As an alternative to pulling the files, we tried simply taking over the whole drawer to the Letter Reg, but it took too long for the Letter Reg to sort through the files and the Letters Out stat crashed. Since the Letters Out stat was so important (per Hubbard's policy the Gross Income depended on it, although in reality it didn't at all, but staff believed it did), the Letter Reges quickly dumped that hat back on the poor CF people.

When a person actually replied, which did happen, one needed to find the CF file to go with the letter. About half the time it was found in time to reply to the letter within 24 hours.

Sometimes there were two or more people working full-time in CF, along with people helping out for an hour or so; sometimes one; sometimes none. At one time, Jane Lance (Harris) said she had got CF into PT, i.e. all folders filed and all particles filed. She used to work really hard (as well as look very pretty :)). Most of the time it was backlogged to a smaller or larger extent.

As a sideline to being a Letter Reg I worked in CF for several months, at my own choice and not because I was told to. I used to dictate most of those 1250-1500 letters at the rate of 200 per hour, 400 a day for three days or so. I would take a lot of care over the replies, and some originations, but the letters to people who had completed the comm course in Sydney three years ago and never written back to me I would just churn out. There's a limited amount you can say to someone when all you know is their name, address, date they finished the comm course, and sometimes their handwriting and signature. The rest of the time I would goof off one way or another. Skully didn't mind, as I got his stats up when needed.

Anyway, I got tired of all the wasted effort in filing these CF folders. So I instituted a striping system, using fat felt-tip pens. Each folder showed the name of the person, say Igor Dmitri Szmtrik. Usually to file the folders, they would first be divided into piles (like A-E, F-K etc.), then placed on the correct 4-drawer cabinet, then the pile on the cabinet would be filed, involving a lot of opening and closing and re-opening of drawers. And bending down and straightening up. It was quite finnicky to read the address sticker, figure out what the surname was (does Jane de Hartwell-Smythe go under "D", "H" or "S"?), and where it was meant to go each time. So I personally striped each circulating folder in CF, all 10,000 or so of them. There were four stripes of different colours. The first stripe was equivalent to A-E, F-K etc. The second stripe narrowed it down to a group of several cabinets. The third stripe narrowed it down to the cabinet, the fourth stripe the drawer. Now, instead of peering at a grubby label to sort the folders, you could just glance at the four-inch coloured stripe on the front or back (it ran over the edge so was both front and back and VERY clear — at least until the colour started fading!) and toss it where it was meant to go. It was VERY fast to sort the folders that way. You still had to put them in the drawers, but the preliminary action was a lot faster, and you could file an entire drawer at a time without bending at all if you wanted.

But I digress. The point is that CF can get put into order one week and then be a howling mess a few weeks later with all the ongoing traffic.

Paul

Yes I did spend some time in CF. London was worse than your description.
London had been the " St Hill" at one time when LRH was there, so lots of people in CF who would never be london public again, even if they were at St Hill or flag. The filing of letters saying address unknown was seriously backlogged. I don't recall any letters in folders with return to sender. Some folders had address unknown written on them, I suspect an evolution done in the dark ages so's to speak. I don't recall that anyone was posted in CF in my 3 years there. Letters were handwrittenn by staff and letter reg, not typed.

Maybe in a far away place a long time ago when scn was new and bright and shiny, letters out= income was true.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
I don't recall that anyone was posted in CF in my 3 years there. Letters were handwritten by staff and letter reg, not typed.

Fair enough. I remember visiting HAPI once and couldn't believe the state of their CF. I got spoiled working at Saint Hill, in terms of things being run by policy. It wasn't perfect by a long shot, but the admin was in on a lot of things.

Oh yes. I remember getting handwritten letters from Linzy Ainsworth when she was a Letter Reg there, before she joined the SO at SH. I liked Linzy, a free spirit. I used to sing and dance with her sometimes. She had an absolutely gorgeous voice. I even had a 2D with her. She blew mid-OT3 around 1983 and I never heard anything about her since.

Maybe in a far away place a long time ago when scn was new and bright and shiny, letters out= income was true.

Yeah. One four-week period in DC, I seem to remember. Even at the time I couldn't believe that such a far-reaching policy was based on ONE sample of FOUR WEEKS in ONE org, and has been applied to EVERY ORG FOR 50+ YEARS since, at a cost of God-knows how many millions of dollars.

It is THE justification for the insane you-can't-even-get-off-the-mailing-list-when-you're-dead and "hi Jhon, how aRe you? by thisbook ! much luv (Illegible)" practices.

Paul

Pooks

MERCHANT OF CHAOS
Lets fast forward a few years here. Soon after joining staff, Marlene figured out that her husband was CI and an SP and filed for divorce. She got a nice settlement in the divorce proceeding and spent it all on auditing and training. After that money was gone, she joined the Sea Org because, after all, clearing the planet is the most worthy goal anyone can have in this life. She excelled in everything she did until David Miscavige diagnosed her as an SP (something about the way she looked at him) and she was placed in the RPF. At that point, she tried to route out of the Sea Org and six months later said 'fuck it' and blew.

I think ya nailed it.