What's new

Finally able to fully come out...

Wisened One

Crusader
Hey and :welcome: Ron!

Glad you and your friend are now out and you can speak more freely!

And Please, share more of your stories!

I'd love to hear if Nib's daughter got to actually meet her grandpa and how that went! :drama:

BAYCB

Patron with Honors
I thought he was called the Cardinal of Scientology and not Bishop but you are probably right. being closer to the scene.....

I knew from CCLA were Betty and Jon Murakami....

I hope you can shed some light on why Bob Harvey was yanked out of L.A. while he was setting up the ESTO program.
lkwdblds

“I thought he was called the Cardinal of Scientology and not Bishop but you are probably right. being closer to the scene.”

Knowing Bob, I wouldn’t put it past him that he promoted himself to Cardinal. Who is going to tell him no… as long as he wasn’t the Pope of Scientology.

I knew Betty Murakami. She was a very nice person. It came as a total surprise when she was declared. This was one of the little things that started me questioning the actions of the Chruch.

In the old days, there were a few staff that were counting cards to make up for the lack of an income at the Org. I don’t know if you knew Dennis Pero.. he was one of the rare people that was allowed to do the Class VIII course without being OTIII.

He became the senior C/S at the org and was also a pretty good card counter. He did this for a few years until one night he had a bad streak. Instead of quitting he got into a “I can win it back mode” and ended up losing over $30K in one night. The following day the loss hit him so hard, he gave up counting cards.

“I hope you can shed some light on why Bob Harvey was yanked out of L.A. while he was setting up the ESTO program.”

Sorry, I really don’t know much about Bob’s activities prior to 74. From what I remember Bob was sent with a team of missionaries to get/keep the LV org established.

Ron

BAYCB

Patron with Honors
Hi Ron and welcome to the board. I don't remember your name but I was at LV Org part of '78 and part of '79. I was not staff, but was working for the GO and trying to get qualified to be on staff in the GO. I worked with Carol Garrity who was the PR at the time. I remember her husband's name was Paul and I think he was on foundation staff?

Anyway, glad you're out.

Thanks for the welcome Tim.

I know Carol and Paul Garrity very well. When she was first on staff she worked as the Disem Sec. Paul also worked in Div 2.

Carol and Janie Peterson were very good friends. I’m sure you are well aware of their fall out with the Church.

Did you ever make it on staff?

Ron

BAYCB

Patron with Honors
Hey and :welcome: Ron!

I'd love to hear if Nib's daughter got to actually meet her grandpa and how that went! :drama:
That was a strange experience.

At the time I was holding the post of Chaplin (actually I was the only one in Qual so I was holding all the Qual positions.) She was sent to me from the public div as they didn’t know how to handle it. She was a little younger than me at the time, in her early 20’s.

Being Vegas, we were always running into questionable characters so I was doubtful of her story at first. But as she told me her story I started to believe her sincerity. She told me that she had never met her grandfather and knew that as long as she lived with her father she would never get the chance to meet him. She stated that she had left home and was on her own now.

She thought that she could come into the church and be able to call her Grandfather on the phone. I explained to her we had no direct connection to LRH, but I would put her in contact with someone who may be able to help her. I took her over the then “GO” office.

I wish I could tell you how it all ended, but once anything hits the GO lines, things just disappeared. Maybe someone from the old GO could fill us in.

Ron

Human Again

Silver Meritorious Patron
Hi Ron, Welcome.

I hope it has been a relief for you to be able to come out fully and no longer hide. The chains the COS ties around it's members are long and take so much to finally relinquish.

I didn't really finally relinquish my chains until I had been active on the board for a while and began to see the evil that had been lurking beyond my own personal experience.

Anyhow, welcome and I hope you enjoy joining in some of our conversations.

Mystic

Crusader
“I thought he was called the Cardinal of Scientology and not Bishop but you are probably right. being closer to the scene.”

Knowing Bob, I wouldn’t put it past him that he promoted himself to Cardinal. Who is going to tell him no… as long as he wasn’t the Pope of Scientology.

I knew Betty Murakami. She was a very nice person. It came as a total surprise when she was declared. This was one of the little things that started me questioning the actions of the Chruch.

In the old days, there were a few staff that were counting cards to make up for the lack of an income at the Org. I don’t know if you knew Dennis Pero.. he was one of the rare people that was allowed to do the Class VIII course without being OTIII.

He became the senior C/S at the org and was also a pretty good card counter. He did this for a few years until one night he had a bad streak. Instead of quitting he got into a “I can win it back mode” and ended up losing over $30K in one night. The following day the loss hit him so hard, he gave up counting cards.

“I hope you can shed some light on why Bob Harvey was yanked out of L.A. while he was setting up the ESTO program.”

Sorry, I really don’t know much about Bob’s activities prior to 74. From what I remember Bob was sent with a team of missionaries to get/keep the LV org established.

Ron

Damn, when was it? I think in the early 80s. I was living in Clearwater at the time. I had a most excellent reputation and one day I was offered a post called "The Cardinal". Who offered it to me? I think it was Jeanne Franks. This is probably the beginning of this "The Cardinal" crap.

Well, I considered taking the post for a while. When I finally realized it was a TARGET job, I turned the offer down. When I say target I'm talking something that gets shot at.

Bob wanted the position. I never followed up finding out what became of it. This is the first I've heard of it since.

My family was involved in Scientology in LV at the time. We were not in it very long. I remember do the kiddie com with my sisters.

Does anyone remember the artist that would paint the pictures of space ships and Star Wars characters being audited? He signed his art - Mars

Bill and Dottie Null had a picture of Bill auditing a stormtrooper. I really liked his art, and wondered what happen to him.

BAYCB

Patron with Honors
Damn, when was it? I think in the early 80s. I was living in Clearwater at the time. I had a most excellent reputation and one day I was offered a post called "The Cardinal". Who offered it to me? I think it was Jeanne Franks. This is probably the beginning of this "The Cardinal" crap.

Well, I considered taking the post for a while. When I finally realized it was a TARGET job, I turned the offer down. When I say target I'm talking something that gets shot at.

Bob wanted the position. I never followed up finding out what became of it. This is the first I've heard of it since.

Thanks for the info. Towards the end of Bob's "career" he was losing it. I actually thought that the post of Cardinal was made up by him and that we was tolerated by others just to keep him from going fully over the edge. I'm surprised to hear that it was a real position in the Church.

Bob definitely made a very big target.

Ron

BAYCB

Patron with Honors
My family was involved in Scientology in LV at the time. We were not in it very long. I remember do the kiddie com with my sisters.

Does anyone remember the artist that would paint the pictures of space ships and Star Wars characters being audited? He signed his art - Mars

Bill and Dottie Null had a picture of Bill auditing a stormtrooper. I really liked his art, and wondered what happen to him.

Bill and Dottie Null... thats two names I haven't heard in awhile. I can't think of the artist name you're asking about but I'll ask some friends and see if they can answer your question.

Ron

BAYCB

Patron with Honors
If you know why the program ended instantly and Bob disappeared, please let me know.

That is one area where I was never able to find out what happened.

I hope you can shed some light on why Bob Harvey was yanked out of L.A. while he was setting up the ESTO program.
lkwdblds

I was doing some research on the net and ran across this from the Review Jorunal...A local LV newspaper. This may explain why Bob was fired to LV on a mission so suddenly......

Three years later, one of the most mysterious documents
purported to exist relating to the Las Vegas branch of the
church was reportedly written by Hubbard.

According to church members who say they have seen it, Hubbard
outlined in a 1971 directive a plan to make Las Vegas the
"center of the planet" for Scientology.

It called for a "big buildup" of the church here, according to a
former Scientologist who claims to have hand delivered the
directive.

The former Scientologist, who asked not to be identified, also
said the directive explained the reasoning behind the directive.

The courier claimed the directive stated Scientology thrives on
three conditions that were perceived to exist in Las Vegas.
-Criminal activity.
-The free flow of cash.
-An expanding population.
Another former Scientologist, Las Vegan Tonja Burden, claims she
also saw the directive.

At the time it was allegedly written, Burden was an aide to
Hubbard. In a recent interview she said the document was real
and was sent to Las Vegas. But she does not recall exactly what
the directive said, other than it called for a special emphasis
on Las Vegas.

Church spokesman deny the directive existed.
==============================================

This aligns with an issue (don't have it at the moment) where LRH was talking about LV being a lawless area and the LV Mission at the time pulling in more than a million dollars. I guess at that time he didn't have as much an issue with Gamblers as he later did in the 80's.

Ron Minor

GreyWolf

Gold Meritorious Patron
Good to see you again

I think I remember you from LV. When you came back in 90 didn't you come back to FDN under Ana? Or am I wrong? I can be wrong. I know because Upper Mgmt made me wrong so many times I am totally flat on it :lol: .

ChronicEnturbulator

Patron with Honors
I was doing some research on the net and ran across this from the Review Jorunal...A local LV newspaper. This may explain why Bob was fired to LV on a mission so suddenly......

Three years later, one of the most mysterious documents
purported to exist relating to the Las Vegas branch of the
church was reportedly written by Hubbard.

According to church members who say they have seen it, Hubbard
outlined in a 1971 directive a plan to make Las Vegas the
"center of the planet" for Scientology.

It called for a "big buildup" of the church here, according to a
former Scientologist who claims to have hand delivered the
directive.

The former Scientologist, who asked not to be identified, also
said the directive explained the reasoning behind the directive.

The courier claimed the directive stated Scientology thrives on
three conditions that were perceived to exist in Las Vegas.
-Criminal activity.
-The free flow of cash.
-An expanding population.
Another former Scientologist, Las Vegan Tonja Burden, claims she
also saw the directive.

At the time it was allegedly written, Burden was an aide to
Hubbard. In a recent interview she said the document was real
and was sent to Las Vegas. But she does not recall exactly what
the directive said, other than it called for a special emphasis
on Las Vegas.

Church spokesman deny the directive existed.
==============================================

This aligns with an issue (don't have it at the moment) where LRH was talking about LV being a lawless area and the LV Mission at the time pulling in more than a million dollars. I guess at that time he didn't have as much an issue with Gamblers as he later did in the 80's.

Ron Minor

Interesting... I've heared a lot of vague rumors that allude to Vegas being "center of the planet" somehow, but I've never heard any explanation for the "why" that was before now. Neat.

BAYCB, if you don't mind talking to a dirty enturbulitive Vegas anon such as myself, I'd love to hear stories from the "old days."

BAYCB

Patron with Honors
I think I remember you from LV. When you came back in 90 didn't you come back to FDN under Ana? Or am I wrong? I can be wrong. I know because Upper Mgmt made me wrong so many times I am totally flat on it :lol: .
Yep.... that was me. I should have known better after the 1st time on staff. Ana was very nice, but her husband was basically an overwhelmed SO member. All he could do is mimic the abuses that he had been subjected to.

BAYCB

Patron with Honors
BAYCB, if you don't mind talking to a dirty enturbulitive Vegas anon such as myself, I'd love to hear stories from the "old days."

I don't mind sharing my stories. The periods that I could cover would be from 73 to 83 and then 89 to 92. Since 92 most of the contact Ive had is only with ex's.

I did attend the 40th year anniversary of the LV org last Oct in the new Pre-ideal org. Wanted to see some old friends one last time before I started posting under my real name.

auntpat

Patron with Honors
Bobby Shew

The trumpet player you mentioned was probably Bobby Shew. He and his wife Lisa were good friends when my husband and I were on staff at the mission in the mid 60s. Google his name and you will find that he is still well known as a musician but no mention of $cn. I aassume they are out, they were just to smart to continue the con.