What's new

Such a community of unbelievable strength...

Daedle

Patron
Hi FullOfEmpathy,

Like you I'm not an ex but I did learn about Scientology along a similar path. I initially brushed it aside as a wacky new religion - not for me but if it helps other people then so much the better. I gradually learnt about Xenu, and started brushing it off as a cult - sure the world would be a better place without it but it's not the worst thing ever and it's not my fight.

About a year before Anonymous started their protests I did learn about the darker side of Scientology by stumbling across random internet links and knew that given the chance then I would fight it, but not at the expense of my life via Fair Game. When Anonymous switched from DOS attacks to real life protests and various projects I hopped right on board. At the moment I'm exploring an avenue to get a Scientology centre shut down via Trading Standards.

I think the reason that I try so hard to shut it down and get people out is that I can see that I could have bought into it at certain points in my life. Whenever I see practising Scientologists I see myself in their faces. I made a good friend with an ex via the protests and when talking realised that he and I are very similar. When he got involved with Scientology he wanted to do good – wanted to change the world for the better as do I. Unfortunately Scientology corrupts these principles into something abhorrent and that's why I fight against it.

It is very interesting to hear a psychologists understanding of the story.

I've never held any stigma against the psychiatric profession and from what I can tell very few people my age do. The way I see it is that everybody needs someone to talk to in order to get things out in the open and understand how they feel. There's only so much that I could relate to if someone confided in me and I couldn't help them to understand themselves much. Psychologists fill an important role there and if medicinal assistance is needed (and yes I am against the current overprescribing of drugs when other options should be explored first) then there are Psychiatrists.

Every medical profession has it's skeletons in the closet – how's that trepanning working out for neurologists? Psychiatry & Psychology is no different to any other medical profession but it's just because it's relatively recently that it's started that it attracts any kind of suspicion. 1000 years from now ECT will look just as crude and ancient as trepanning but I'm sure then there'll be another medical profession that attracts flak instead.

Please keep posting and ignore the naysayers.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Great! Glad you're still here, FOE.

Now, about that "I wanted to continue by talking about why I really find the techniques Scientology uses (both in auditing sessions, and verbal abuse to staff members) to be damaging and reprehensible from a psychological perspective"....

Paul

Good twin

Floater
Great! Glad you're still here, FOE.

Now, about that "I wanted to continue by talking about why I really find the techniques Scientology uses (both in auditing sessions, and verbal abuse to staff members) to be damaging and reprehensible from a psychological perspective"....

Paul

Yes. I wanta hear that part too. :yes:

Ted

Gold Meritorious Patron
The ECT of today is very different in many distinct, quantifiable ways. Most importantly, like any other medical procedure, it is never done without a patient's clear consent. Also like any other medical procedure, if the patient isn't able to consent, a family member who is responsible for carrying out the patient's wishes must consent. The risks and benefits are always thoroughly explained.

Thank you for posting here. I am glad you decided to stay.

Having read this post, my only "Huh? What's that about?" is on the above statement. If a patient needs shock therapy to reboot the system, how can that person be expected to understand the ramifications of the procedure? Consent under such a circumstance seems specious at best.

--
Ted

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your continued interest in this thread!

I will address the questions that have been asked, and then get on to some other things as soon as I can.

I'm going out of town this afternoon for a few days, so I'm a little swamped, but I should have internet access while I'm gone...so please don't think I've up and left if I don't continue to post right away!!

Also, I was having a transient problem with pm's, but that has been resolved now. Anyone who pm'ed me, please send again!

Thanks,
F.O.E.

rich

Silver Meritorious Patron
F.O.E. are you ok? If so , I need you to pay me my back pay for the pickets I've done. If not , let us know. Maybe we can help.

programmer_guy

True Ex-Scientologist
FullOfEmpathy said:
I completed the requisite courses for the major I had been studying, and then took an intro to psychology class to see if I could find some answers. A long story for another post is how I eventually changed my major to psychology, completed my Bachelor’s degree, and went on to graduate education.

1. Did you complete a master's or doctorate in this field?

2. What particular specific part of this field do you specialize in?

3. What type of job do you now have in this profession?

CornPie

Patron Meritorious
Last edited:

Moonchild

Patron with Honors
Many a true word spoken in jest....:duh:

But seriously, it's disappointing that FOE seems to have given it toes; it would have been so interesting to hear the opinions and estimations of someone trained in 'traditional' psychology on this board.

An old friend of mine who happens to be a child-psychologist (erstwhile musician of not-inconsiderable talent) has offered certain opinions on scientology; would have been interesting to compare FOE's observations with his.

Oh well...c'est la vie, non?

Hi everyone,

Thank you all for your patience. I got back in town earlier this week, and have been playing catch up since. I did have limited internet access while I was gone, but not enough time to post thoughtful replies or commentary. I want the posts I make here to be thoughtful, and not just off the cuff, so I decided to wait until things settled out a bit.

I noticed that there had been a reply in the thread asking about my credentials and what I do. I thank that person for asking, and think its an extremely fair question; after all, why should anyone be inclined to believe information disseminated by an unverified source? For reasons I feel are likely to be obvious to people who post and read here, I am reluctant to post any information that could personally identify me. I'll post what I feel I reasonably can. However, if this is a question that people feel needs to be answered in more detail, I suppose I'd be willing to give my actual credentials to a board moderator (Emma, for example), and allow her to verify them and report back to you, with the caveat that my information stay completely private and anonymous.

Here are the questions that were asked of me:

1. Did you complete a master's or doctorate in this field?

Yes. I completed a BA, then an MA and Ph.D. in an APA-approved clinical psychology program, then completed an APA-approved clinical internship, and lastly completed a postdoctoral fellowship.

2. What particular specific part of this field do you specialize in?

This is something I'm not comfortable answering specifically, because of reasons I stated above.

3. What type of job do you now have in this profession?

I work in research as well as doing clinical work, and that's all I'm comfortable saying publicly.

I'm glad to be back, and again, thanks to everyone for being patient!

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
Welcome back and take your time. As well as only sharing as much personal info as you're comfortable with.

While your actual 'credentials' won't have much pull, since nobody can tell you're a dog on the internet :))) your posts, info and replies should be able to stand on their own. As opinions at least.

Zinj

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Great! Welcome back, FoE.

Paul

Div6

Crusader
Great! Welcome back, FoE.

Paul

Hi FoE,

Thanks for your thoughtful contributions. Please ignore the 'noise'. This is a very meaningful dialogue. What Paul above is doing is called TR-3. (Training Routine 3). This is a specific ability to ask a question, and continue to ask the question, until it is answered. These communications skills formed the basis of the auditing skills taught in various schools of Hubbard philosophy.
Like most people, you want to help others. I think a majority here also wish to do the same. And we decry abuse of humanity, including spiritual abuse.
One question I have, when you have time is this: what is the current model of consciousness in your field? Is it all just chemicals, impulses and nerves? Or is there an allowance for 'spirit'?

Thanks,

Div6