What's new

SP Times: Letter to the Editor Says They're BIGOTS!

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa
http://www.tampabay.com/opinion/letters/article1013769.ece

The St. Petersburg Times' June 24 editorial The abuse behind Scientology's facade proves beyond doubt that any aura of objectivity in the Times' so-called "special report" was illusory. The report attempted to give the appearance of balance by quoting statements from Church of Scientology representatives, but the editorial exposes this exercise as a hollow pretense.

The editorial uncritically accepts as true statements from a handful of former church staff without ever addressing their lack of credibility, their underlying motivations and the voluminous evidence proving their stories were false. These individuals lost their positions of authority within the church for incompetence and for serious misconduct. Your sources' statements to the Times plainly targeted the man who removed them, David Miscavige.

Times readers should be aware that Miscavige had agreed and made arrangements to be interviewed in Clearwater by the Times in early July. The Times' rush to press without hearing from Miscavige, much less the dozen other church executives who traveled to Clearwater last week to talk to the reporters, amply shows that the editors already had their minds made up.

The paper and its editorial staff have single-mindedly pursued a vendetta against the church from the moment it arrived in Clearwater more than 30 years ago. Since 1993, the Times has railed against the church's tax exemption rulings from the IRS without ever once giving serious attention to the voluminous public record upon which those rulings were based. The Times takes every opportunity to dredge up past false allegations from their own archives. And now, absent anything tangible and relevant, the Times has launched a scurrilous attack on the character of the church's leader, David Miscavige.

Finding none of the usual avenues of attack viable — no alcohol or drug issues, no financial misdeeds, no sex scandals — the Times has seized on tired, old allegations from the "grassy knoll" of the Internet to falsely portray Miscavige, a beloved, albeit demanding religious leader, in a manner that is completely contrary to his true personality. This caricature is belied by the respect and admiration he has earned from millions of Scientologists who have witnessed a renaissance in the church and unprecedented growth and expansion under Miscavige's stewardship.

In the end, the "special report" and its culmination in the editorial say far more about the Times than they do about the church. A more accurate title would be "The bigotry behind the Times' facade of responsible journalism."

Pat Harney, public affairs director, Church of Scientology, Flag Service Organization,
Clearwater

More Letters at Link above:thumbsup:

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
. . . alcohol or drug issues . . . financial misdeeds . . . sex scandals

But they're already online in abundance, Pat Harney. I don't know about drug issues, but stories of his alcohol abuse are there. Financial misdeeds abound. Sex scandals not so much, unless you count forbidding others from having sex.

Paul

nozeno

Gold Meritorious Patron
One of my favorite comments from SP Times

Tilman from Berlin, Germany Jun 27th, 2009 12:33 am

I find it amusing that Lynn Irons tells "If you want to know the character of a man, don't ask his ex-wife", while scientology did just that to attack the ex-members :)

What a bunch of numbnuts they are.

nozeno

Gold Meritorious Patron
This quote from Lyons.....

"If you want to know the character of a man, don't ask his ex-wife."

This has been rattlin' around in my noggin' for the last few minutes and it strikes me that this is something 'the old man" said in an HCOB or PL but I just can't place it.

Does anyone have any recollection of this and reference?

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa
But they're already online in abundance, Pat Harney. I don't know about drug issues, but stories of his alcohol abuse are there. Financial misdeeds abound. Sex scandals not so much, unless you count forbidding others from having sex.

Paul

Notice that he used what was not in the article to dead agent what was in the article.

An argument only a Scientologist could make.

HolyCow

Patron with Honors
I saw this today too, but not to worry. There have been so many articles and reporters and videos from the St Pete Times from Sunday to Thursday prior to this, that few will even bother to read it, if they see it.

At the very, very least, Scientology officials have proved over a very long time period that at best most Scientologists are blindsided, gullible and in denial of abuses, crimes and fraud within and it is the general public and Their taxpayer dollars for courts, etc. that have to "discover" and remove criminals from this group. Oh, and also, that this never, ever changes! Come on, a 60 year pattern just can't be denied.

And while it's apparent that those who Do know follow policy to commit these acts as well as coverup, then any denial from any member or official just proves the point further.

And I think from comments that people are getting tired of it and pissed off about government agencies not doing their job.

It is Scientology "officials" who have, in fact, completely "dead agented" themselves. There was never any other outcome that could be expected, and here it is!
:duh: :eyeroll:

Iknowtoomuch

Gold Meritorious Patron
Tilman from Berlin, Germany Jun 27th, 2009 12:33 am

I find it amusing that Lynn Irons tells "If you want to know the character of a man, don't ask his ex-wife", while scientology did just that to attack the ex-members :)

What a bunch of numbnuts they are.

I too LMFAO at that.

:clap:

Pat, get your tr's in. They said violence.

Sex, drugs and violence?

They are talking about VIOLENCE.

Why are you talking about sex and drugs?

Missed withold?

So Pat, what is this sex and drugs.

They were talikng about VIOLENCE.

VIOLENCE and sex and drugs?

as well as the VIOLENCE?

Get your trs in Pat!

Pat, tell us about the sex and drugs?

Alcohol? As well as the VIOLENCE?

Whiskey PAT? As well as the VIOLENCE?

Violence Pat. Get your trs in Pat.

Violence david miscavige. Pat
David Miscavige Violence violence violence.

Tim Skog

Silver Meritorious Patron
Hell, that stupid letter to the editor probably wasn't even written by Pat. Most likely it was written by someone at PROSA Int and approved by Slappy himself before it was sent along to the Times via Pat.

C'mon Slappy, you had plenty of time to show up and get interviewed by the Times, or do an interview by phone. Only a true believer is buying your poop about being unfairly treated by the Times.

Iknowtoomuch

Gold Meritorious Patron
Pat, get your tr's in. They said violence.

Sex, drugs and violence?

They are talking about VIOLENCE.

Why are you talking about sex and drugs?

Missed withold?

So Pat, what is this sex and drugs.

They were talikng about VIOLENCE.

VIOLENCE and sex and drugs?

as well as the VIOLENCE?

Get your trs in Pat!

Pat, tell us about the sex and drugs?

Alcohol? As well as the VIOLENCE?

Whiskey PAT? As well as the VIOLENCE?

Violence Pat. Get your trs in Pat.

Violence david miscavige. Pat
David Miscavige Violence violence violence.

WHAT ARE HIS CRIMES!!??........repeat a gazillion times.