What's new

OMG! Marty Rathbun's Letter to TC's Lawyer!!

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on
I don't think Tom Cruise has any hand in this.. I think the cult maintains a 'safe theta environment' for him. He may not even be aware that his 'attorney' is talking on his behalf. DM will be aware of it though..

:duh:

100% GUARANTEED that no attorney sends that letter without client approval. It would be a fiduciary breach and on top of that it would involve a highly sensitive & volatile public relations area for a client that just went thru several years of nightmarish pr backlash. He wouldn't dare or dream to originate such a letter/strategy without the full express approval of the client. That's how it works up in here.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
From Marty's letter:
Dozens of former Church members have turned to me livid about Tom’s continuing public support for Miscavige. I have dissuaded each and every one of them from attacking Tom publicly.

I have also counseled people who were abused by Tom personally – in matters that eerily resemble the behavior of Miscavige – to give Tom the time to get educated and do the right thing which I have convinced them he ultimately will do.

He's saying Tom Cruise beats people like Miscavige does?

No, he's not. But he has left the implication hanging there.

Personally, I think it very unlikely that Tom has physically beaten anyone at all since becoming famous (high-school fights don't count). I don't recall any mention of it in the press anywhere, and his non-Scn "victims" would not be terrified of suffering eternal damnation and being disconnected from their families if they spoke out, so would surely have done so. Particularly as there would be a good deal from a tabloid to publish it.

I'm not really sure what Rathbun is talking about. It would be better if he was more specific than leaving the innuendo there.

Paul

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire

100% GUARANTEED that no attorney sends that letter without client approval. It would be a fiduciary breach and on top of that it would involve a highly sensitive & volatile public relations area for a client that just went thru several years of nightmarish pr backlash. He wouldn't dare or dream to originate such a letter/strategy without the full express approval of the client. That's how it works up in here.

In that case, wouldn't TC be even curious about the response from Marty?

This is looking really juicy. If they show Marty's letter to TC, along with spin to nullify it, he will have much to think about. If they fob him off and he later gets to read the letter and finds it is NOT what they claimed it was, again he will have much to think about.

Heh. :)

Paul

SchwimmelPuckel

Genuine Meatball

Well, yes.. But we're dealing with Scientology.. I think they might do it that way.. Recall that Scientology has the only justice system in this sector of the universe that actualkly works, and that the WOG justice system is irresponsibly insane and supressive. Scientologists are adviced to never use or trust it, indeed it's a High Crime to report any matter to the WOG justice system.

If scientology acts like I suspect, Tom has the opportunity to make a mighty stink if he so wishes. But he is a true believer in CoS justice it would seem.. Meaning he'll accept it.

:yes:

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on
In that case, wouldn't TC be even curious about the response from Marty?

This is looking really juicy. If they show Marty's letter to TC, along with spin to nullify it, he will have much to think about. If they fob him off and he later gets to read the letter and finds it is NOT what they claimed it was, again he will have much to think about.

Heh. :)

Paul

You, sir, are correct!!!

Rathbun's letter will be shown to Cruise. He will read it. It's his career and life at stake. He knows from bitter experience the last few years what happens when he doesn't know/understand what is going on with his public relations. He knows that his stats can crash out the bottom while he was "applying the tech" and doing "the greatest good" per scripture. He knows that he became an international object of ridicule. He knows it affected his new wife who shockingly was confronted with Anon/Critics/Protesters at her play performances.

He knows that he does not control the universe the way he believed during his intoxicated KSW/IAS video. He is not laughing uncontrollably about shattering SPs any longer. He is dealing with his own mortality as a celebrity here. He is not immortal.

He knows that he can lose and lose very hard. He will read it.

What he does with those links to the SP TIMES videos/story is not certain.

If I had to bet, he looks at every frame of it. He then pauses to think what he is going to do.

If this is a movie, Tom would now be at the second act "crisis/climax" where he must make a big decision. It will reveal his true character. That decision will spin the third act of Tom's life as a Scientologist.

Let's hope he makes the right decision!

skydog

Patron Meritorious
I think we should all give a big round of applause to attorney field for corroborating the following aspects of Marty Rathburn's claims:

1-he was in fact Tom Cruise's auditor;
2-he is, in fact, someone that has been trained to audit.

Thank you Mr. Fields for providing further corroboration that David Miscavige is a chronic and habitual liar.:clap:

Mr. Fields, I would remind you that under the Rules of Professional Conduct, Section 1.4, you are obligated to show this letter to your client.

Div6

Crusader
I think we should all give a big round of applause to attorney field for corroborating the following aspects of Marty Rathburn's claims:

1-he was in fact Tom Cruise's auditor;
2-he is, in fact, someone that has been trained to audit.

Thank you Mr. Fields for providing further corroboration that David Miscavige is a chronic and habitual liar.:clap:

Mr. Fields, I would remind you that under the Rules of Professional Conduct, Section 1.4, you are obligated to show this letter to your client.

QFT.

Will TC "do the right thing"?

anonkatie

Patron with Honors

^^^This!

I'm not sure everyone is getting how brilliant this letter actually is.

Bert is required to show it to Tom-all of it- or he is in violation of his ethics. He is required to show it particularly because Marty is implying wrongdoing on TC's part. There may be in fact no "physical" abuse of any kind, Marty has left himself leeway on that point. But that is why Bert has to show it to him.

Marty has made it so the links and the accusations against DM have to get to TC. Even were Bert not to give it to him it now will be enough in the media that he will be questioned on it. If TC reads this stuff and understands and leaves, well then we are truly at the endgame.
DM's main support is undercut.

He says he has protected him I think to give him an out and to say clearly you are not my target. Plus which if he was his auditor, there are certain things he cannot say or do, that would be conflict of interest.

IMO, Marty has done this brilliantly from a PR point of view. He may have some legal exposure but he is gambling that he will not be sued under the circumstances. And what people don't get is he is risking himself to take down DM and by extension the church.

He has said he is not looking to step in after the fall. Whether or not that is true, what he is doing is mortally wounding the CoS as a whole and I for one am grateful. :happydance:

skydog

Patron Meritorious
David Miscavige should be star rated on Attorney Fields letter.

Another fact that Mr. Fields concedes in his letter to Rathburn is the obvious fact that it is a complete violation of the priest/penitent relationship to disclose facts obtained in confidence during a confessional.

Mr. Miscavige should heed the advice of Tom's lawyer.

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
Larry Brennan posted this on the WWP thread on this subject:

Originally Posted by SomeRandGuy
I think it was an empty threat. Going through with any TC vs Marty lawsuit would be the most retarded thing to do right now. Media would latch onto this thing instantly, and imagine all the info that would get aired in the courtroom. It would be a foot-rocket.
The above is correct IMO. But that does not mean that David Miscavige will listen to any reason and not sue. Miscavige is highly immature, prone to stupid off the cuff reactions, abusive actions and, I believe, could do something as majorly stupid as suing Marty or others exposing him.

(Yes I understand that this could just be a suit from Tom Cruise but I don't see that happening in any way without Miscavige's direction for same. One way or another I guess this goes back to Miscavige if legal action comes of this, if only Marty having to justify his deep concern for what is really behind this whole mess. And anyway it's just my opinion).

If Miscavige does in some way sue, I have a prediction. In both the defense of the suit and IMHO the countersuit truth spoken by many to expose Miscavige's abuses, crimes, lies and the like will be both unprecedented as to its scope and overwhelming. And the number of people who will be giving first hand accounts of the above will be like nothing they have seen before.

Just a hunch here. It's going to happen here or it's going to happen later in some other litigation IMO.

Can David Miscavige really be THAT stupid? Well we can hope while other legal actions run their course.

And look at this:
Re: Marty Rathbun's letter to Tom Cruise's attorney..
Betcha can't guess who this is?

Thoughtful posted in comments... August 26, 2009

Bert and Tom:

I can personally corroborate what Marty has said here in regards to Miscavige physically abusing staff.

I saw Miscavige attack Mike with my own eyes, saw him bash Mike’s head into the wall, and in response, I choose to give up everything, restarting life at nearly 50 with no money, no job, nothing… rather than continue to support a sick impostor who refuses to embody what it means to be a Scientologist. Few people ever face the prospect of giving up everything — family, friends, shelter — and walking out into the unknown.

I was there, Tom, when you toured Cine late one night in — what was it, September 2004? We were all placed there at various stations and made to rehearse our actions by David Miscavige. We weren’t really working… we were acting, for you. In other words, what you saw was a contrived scene.

We were drilled on what to say and do. All David Miscavige has ever shown you of Sea Org activities at the Int Base was preceded by his staff going in advance carefully arranging everything you were to see on your walk through. It’s time you grew up and came to grips with reality, just like the rest of us.

Tom, These are times in which every Scientologist will be measured against LRH’s yardstick of Personal Integrity. You know the words — but do they mean the same thing to you now as they meant when you first read them?

“Personal integrity is knowing what you know – what you know is what you know – and to have the courage to know and say what you have observed. And that is integrity. And there is no other integrity.

Of course we can talk about honor, truth, all these things, these esoteric terms. But I think they’d all be covered very well if what we really observed was what we observed. That we took care to observe what we were observing. That we always observed to observe.

And not necessarily maintaining a skeptical attitude, a critical attitude, or an open mind. But certainly maintaining sufficient personal integrity and sufficient personal belief and confidence in self and courage that we can observe what we observe and say what we have observed.

Nothing in Dianetics and Scientology is true for you unless you have observed it. And it is true according to your observation. That is all.”

What Marty and others are doing is not about criticism. It’s about Personal Integrity: we who have come forward to say what we have observed, measure up. You need to lay aside any bias or fixed ideas, and examine the facts for yourself. See what you see, not what you are told you see.

Thoughtful

From Marty's letter:

He's saying Tom Cruise beats people like Miscavige does?

If so, why protect him at all?

In any way?

What "education" would he need?

Co-dependence, anyone?

All these INT LUNATICS are suffering from Battered Wife Syndrome - en masse!

Protect TC while saying *why* it is that he needs protection. How to hang someone by being "concerned" about them, while causeing a HUGE PR crisis for the dwarf.
Looks like a crafty little dance indeed!

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
IANAL, but none of the above would seem to require T.C. be shown Marty's actual letter. Fields only has to provide T.C. with "adequate information".

Besides that, there is no legal action in progress between T.C. and Marty Rathbun and Field's letter to Rathbun doesn't threaten any, either. I suggest that the lack of such threat is specifically so Fields doesn't have to inform T.C. as to who is involved or what it was about.

You could be right. However, if TC doesn't know about this already, it could be that he soon will. I assume the letter was effectively ordered by Miscavige, either with TC's consent and foreknowledge, or without it. I can imagine places like Gawker or Glosslip picking up the story, since TC is usually newsworthy and after the recent St. Pete Times exposures Marty is currently newsworthy too. If that letter was sent without TC's foreknowledge and at DM's behest, I would think that would be especially newsworthy.

How would you (the reader) like someone else ordering YOUR lawyer to do something supposedly on your behalf without you being aware of it? (My opinion, remember).

Paul

Last edited:

Div6

Crusader
IANAL, but none of the above would seem to require T.C. be shown Marty's actual letter. Fields only has to provide T.C. with "adequate information".

Besides that, there is no legal action in progress between T.C. and Marty Rathbun and Field's letter to Rathbun doesn't threaten any, either. I suggest that the lack of such threat is specifically so Fields doesn't have to inform T.C. as to who is involved or what it was about.

But again, IANAL. Somebody who understands legal dancing better than I, would be most helpful about now.

Michael "The Sneakster" Hobson
I am *not* anonymous. I *do* forgive.

Lawyers don't originate. They Relay.
The question is, who is Fields relaying for?

TC or DM?

Either way, they are obligated to keep their client informed.

If Bert was taking personal umbrage, he would NOT have included the name of his client.

:drama:

You could be right. However, if TC doesn't know about this already, it could be that he soon will. I assume the letter was effectively ordered by Miscavige, either with TC's consent and foreknowledge, or without it. I can imagine places like Gawker or Glosslips picking up the story, since TC is usually newsworthy and after the recent St. Pete Times exposures Marty is currently newsworthy too. If that letter was sent without TC's foreknowledge and at DM's behest, I would think that would be especially newsworthy.

How would you (the reader) like someone else ordering YOUR lawyer to do something supposedly on your behalf without you being aware of it? (My opinion, remember).

Paul

I can't image Miscavige ordering or sending anything out on Cruise's behalf without first consulting Cruise. The last thing Miscavige needs right now is to piss off the few supporters he has left. If I had to guess, I think Cruise is doing what ever he can to help his friend and "best man" control the flood of negative PR that his repeated abusive behavior has caused himself and the cult.