What's new

According To L. Ron Hubbard "There was No Christ"

Ladybird

Silver Meritorious Patron
L. Ron Hubbard intended to play a joke on God when he started the cult of Scientology:

"It's a big joke, this living. God was feeling sardonic the day he created the universe. So its rather up to at least one man every few centuries to pop up and come just as close to making him swallow his laughter as possible." - LRH - 1938 from the "Skipper Letter"

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
I have no problem with Scientology not being Christian. None whatsoever. A lot of ologies and isms aren't. However, what I do take exception to is the inclusion of a cross into Scientology at the same time as Hubbard's making it quite clear that he wasn't on board with deity worship or any view of Christ as God. I think that the reason he had the cross in Scn and kept insisting that Scn is pan denominational was that he wanted to get lots of people involved and not scare away potential converts. He also wanted Scn to be a church for the tax break, so if he would have just kept it as an applied religious philosophy (which Scn also calls itself) with strong self help aspects (which it does have) that does not do deity worship, that would not have been enough to get tax exempt status. OTOH, Hubbard could have still gone the "we're a religion and should have tax exempt status" without implementing Christian symbology. But he did tend to set up programs and do a package deal type thinking-- much like a number of ex members posting here. :p

Hatshepsut

Crusader
Yes, I think that tax status was a make or break point. Every mission I know of in the 70s had a chapel and offered Sunday services.

Last edited:

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
Since very early on, Hubbard's money making interests always took priority over the interests of the members and the company- which is exactly what it is- was structured around them.

The thing is, when they get ya in, they sure as shit don't tell ya that.

Reading Dianetics in Limbo which are about events in the VERY early 50s, it's evident that it was like this all along.

Some people seem to think I don't know this. Some people are wrong.

Hatshepsut

Crusader
OTOH, Hubbard could have still gone the "we're a religion and should have tax exempt status" without implementing Christian symbology. But he did tend to set up programs and do a package deal type thinking-- much like a number of ex members posting here. :p

Sorry Fluff, I resemble that remark. I know I'm a dilettante dabbling in just about everything. I'm playing the Devil's advocate most of the time. I DO have some firm beliefs of my own.

bts2free

Patron with Honors
It's no surprise to me that Hubbard thought that Christ was an "implant," or that there "was no Christ" or that Christ was a lover of young boys and so on.

He also said that his "good friend" Aliester Crowley had some amazing viewpoints "splendid aesthetics." "Do as thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law," something that Hubbard himself was very adept at.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6fwzOYoAfY

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thelema

And how about Hubbard's relationship with jack Parsons and his involvement with the OTO? Hubbard's participation in the ritual of Babylon Working?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Parsons

It doesn't surprise me at all that Hubbard would incorporate any of these viewpoints about Chritianity or Christ in his own brand of religion. In fact, if you do your own looking, I bet you'd find a lot of Crowley contained in Scientology. It's really easy to find too.

I'm sure some of you will just say, "But it works, and that's all that matters."

Oh well, your life is your own path. Do as thou wilt.

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa
It's no surprise to me that Hubbard thought that Christ was an "implant," or that there "was no Christ" or that Christ was a lover of young boys and so on.

He also said that his "good friend" Aliester Crowley had some amazing viewpoints "splendid aesthetics." "Do as thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law," something that Hubbard himself was very adept at.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6fwzOYoAfY

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thelema

And how about Hubbard's relationship with jack Parsons and his involvement with the OTO? Hubbard's participation in the ritual of Babylon Working?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Parsons

It doesn't surprise me at all that Hubbard would incorporate any of these viewpoints about Chritianity or Christ in his own brand of religion. In fact, if you do your own looking, I bet you'd find a lot of Crowley contained in Scientology. It's really easy to find too.

I'm sure some of you will just say, "But it works, and that's all that matters."

Oh well, your life is your own path. Do as thou wilt.
That is the whole of the law.

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
I would have absolutely no problem with Hubbard saying those things, but I don't happen to think he did. Those are part of the apocryphal Fishman affidavit stuff, which has been, for me, discredited.

uniquemand

Unbeliever
Really, there's no way to know whether there was a guy named Jesus Christ, or not. Who cares? I named my son Zarathustra: does that make him the "overman"?

programmer_guy

True Ex-Scientologist
Implants

South of the Border said:
I also think that whatever LRH thought about Jesus Christ is his opinion and has the right to speak it freely.

You can say that this is his opinion if you want to BUT he reported this as coming from auditing sessions from PCs. So, it wasn't just his opinion alone.

South of the Border said:
And the truth about Jesus Christ does not matter at all to the overall subject of Scientology.

It certainly does if we are talking about so-called implants and what Hubbard said about this subject.

bts2free

Patron with Honors
Audio of Hubbard claiming there was no Christ

He is not the only one. The jews denied Jesus too.

The Jews only denied that he, Jesus, was who he claimed he was - God in the flesh, or the son of God. They did not say he was some "implant" or didn't exist at all.

The real problem here is that Scientology claims to be all and/or non-demoninational in order to get more recruits. That you can be a good Christian and still be a Scientologist. That Scientology "will make you a better Christian." Or that you can be a Budhist/Muslim/Hindu and Scientology will accept you with open arms and allow you to practice your other religion freely. Bogus and a complete lie. The fact that Hubbard said these things about Christ makes this obvious about what Scientology really believes about other religions. They are all "implants" - R6 to be precise.

So yeah, who cares about what Hubbard's opinion was about Christ. But, Scientology should stop lying about this non-demoniational bull crap. Scientology is transparent to those who have been through it and woken up.

Scientology will always be worse than you think.