What's new

I got in and out in Boston

freethinker

Sponsor
I just finished reading Feral's story. It's quite impactful on many levels. I think he has amazing courage and fortitude to be able to have withstood all that he endured. I hope your daughter s doing well.

In 1985 I was in Waltham Ma working as a machinist. I believe it was 1985. Prior to Feral's story, Jeff Hawkins Counterfeit Dreams had had the most impact for me. It was his TV book campaign that had made me aware of the book. I had never seen a book advertised on TV before. Then the ad dissapeared for about a year and then came back. I had never seen this before either.

In the fall of 1987, a guy I had worked with in Waltham called me and said I should come work where he worked. He said I would fit in well and i was a better machinist than most people who worked there. Because most of my time in Waltham was spent going to bars and getting drunk alot I thought this would be a good idea.

So I went to Ashland. The work was very interesting and intricate with close tolorences and I usually didn't have to make more than five of anything. The shop had numerous machinists that were brought to the states from England because he had trouble findng good machinists in the US. The shop foreman was from England and oneof the machinist was a close friend of one of the members of AC/DC. They did a concert in Boston when I worked there.

Two months after I started working there my friend tells me that he's leavng to work in his fathers shop. He had created a "he and I against the rest atmosphere" in the shop and now was leaving. When he left there was a atmosphere of animosity left that I had to contend with. This became quite difficult at times. So I remembered Dianetics.

I went to a Seven Eleven and found one on a small carousel bookrack and took it home. It took 2 mos to get through it. I put it down in disgust many times, then picked it up again. The first few chapters were tough to get through. Didn't really get it. But when I got into the reactive mind and the tech it became fascinating. I finished the book and called.

The person I spoke to wanted me to come in right then. I was taken back by that. They kept insisting. I said I would come in the next day. It was odd but I wanted to know more about Dianetics. Too bad.

After work the next day I drove to Boston. 26 Miles. When I get there, there 's no place to park. That is a constant at the Boston org. So I go to a phone booth (they don't exist anymore) and call to say I can't find a parking space. I'm told to go to a parking garage, but I couldn't find it. Then I'm told to park in residential parking and later had a ticket.

I go into the org, tell them who I am, and they sit me down. I sat for a while. It's common to do a lot of sitting and waiting at the Boston org. No one talked to me while I waited. Odd.

After some time, a woman holding a manila folder and some paper approaches me and I follow her up the stairs to the fifth floor. Elevator didn't work.

We go into the room and she closes the door and tells me where to sit.

Right off the bat, it gets wierd. She tells me to close my eyes and starts telling me that she has heard it all before and it's ok to tell her anything. This puts me on guard. What the hellis she talking about? where's the procedure that I read in the book? Are experiences about pain supposed to be difficult to talk about? What kinds of things has she heard?

She tells me to recall an emotional experience and to tell her what's happening and, again that she's heard it all so I can tell her anything.I'm getting the idea that she wants me to tell deep secrets. I'm there to run out engrams. This is not what I was expecting. So I decide to relate my break-up with my last girlfriend the day she left. Minus any juicy details.

I went through it a number of times and didn't really experience anything. Not even the emotion I had felt at the time. That was my first experience with the tech. Not much. But I figured I had paid for 5 hours (that's what they were selling then) I 'd come back the next day.

The next day I was given a new auditor,Larry, who was introduced to me by my old auditor. We did a session of no cosequence but at least he was doing what was in the book. So I came back the next day for my third session.

This time larry brought me into a completely dark room on the third floor. It was a cubicled area with a dirty worn out rug and I could here other people being audited in there. This time i ran an injury and larry used repeator technique on me. I felt something happen to my leg. I was surprised as this probably would have been my last session had it not happened.

Larry then ended offf and took me to the reg.

This is where I met Ralph Box. Not long after this, Ralph blew the org. He had stolen money from treasury and another staff members car. And he was married to another staff, Lynne who he did not take with him. I don't know why, she was gorgeous.

Ralph sarted talking to me about drugs.If I had taken any, what kinds, what did I experience etc. I told him I smoked pot. I think he sensed I was holding back so he began to tell me what he had taken and what he experienced. This worked and I told him of experiences with other drugs. Now Ralph began to get very animated and wild eyed as he talked about his drug use. It was freaky. Then he launched into the Purif pitch.

If this is sounding dry,let me know.I'm just telling as I remember and not trying to embellish. However , I know I can get too detailed about bland points. It will, I hope, be less mundane as I go.

Have to go for now.

Tim Skog

Silver Meritorious Patron
Welcome Freethinker. I look forward to the rest of your story. Your straightforward style of writing is great.

freethinker

Sponsor
More on Boston

OK Ralph Box and the purif

So when i was brought to Ralph he tells me that I should do the purif so my auditing will go better. I thought WTF my auditing just did go better.

So I listen to his pitch. He shows me the purif picture book. I'm intrigued because I had taken LSD A few times. I never liked the stuff myself but onetime had a passion for speed.When Iwas high I liked to have my wits about me. LSD madee me feel as if my skin was crawling. Didn't like that.

The thing that surprIsed me the most was the hunt for getting the money now. Even going to the point of driving 26 miles to get it rather than wait a few hours till I came in. You shake your head at these things but then dimiss them because the person is wierd but the tech makes sense.:hmm:

So Ralph does just that and I'm signed up for the Purif. Waivers and all.

Then I get a call from Rick Hickey. I believe he was the Dof P then. He tells me I have to come in and do testing and route on to the Purif. I tell him I'm going to a party and I will be getting drunk so I should start the Purif in a week or so when I'm ready. THIS was not to be had. You HAVE to come in and get started right now. WTF. We argued. He didn't listen (obnoxious cuss) and I told him next week and hung up.

I went to the party and woke up the next morning to a screaming hangover. I go home to sleep it off and guess who calls? Yeah Rick. I argue that i can't start the purif as I have a hangover. He says to come in and do the testing. I'm thinking that's crazy, but I was sick of arguing with him so I said OK. I went in and did the tests. Thinking that was it.I started to leave and got all they way down the stairs and at the bottom was the OES Elaine. She was holding a bunch of vitamins in her hand and a cup of water. She thrust them at me and said "Here, take these". I started to protest that I wasn't starting that day when Rick called down and said, "Make sure he gets an A-J check."

So off I go to get an A-J. As it turns out, I'm an illegal PC. When I was 17 years old I was busted for sale, possesion and presence of marijuana. As a result of that, the law said that I had to be evaluated as to whether I was drug dependant and competent to stand trial. I had to be evaluated by a psychiatrist. This was done by a 30 day observation at the Med state mental institution. That caregorized me as an illegal PC.

More later

freethinker

Sponsor
More Boston

I just kad a long conversation on the phone with a friend of mine who I sent the link on the Aaron Saxton videos. He still believes in the tech. I don't.

Anyway, I'm brought into an auditing room with Paul Coleman. Paul is one of the few staff members that I truly liked. He shows me The illegal PC's PL and I'm bummed. I really wanted to get LSD out of my body if there was any in there. So I go "well that's it then, I can't be here". This is where Paul gets alll helpful. He was good at that. I think all the public liked him. He tells me how his wife is an illegal PC but she's going to go up the Bridge by doing training.

Just thought I'd mention that despite doing the tests with a hangover, I scored really high on the IQ and aptitude, but displayed evil purposes on the OCA.

So Paul is trying to convince me to do training and tells me all about the Student Hat and M1 The levels etc. But I don't care because I wanted to do the Purif. He goes on persuading. I'm still not buying it. Sounds like it takes too long. I don't like to study.

Then he goes and gets Keith Peters who was the E/O. I don't think he's in Scientology anymore. He married a Japanese woman and moved to Japan. He was an excellant artist. Most of the Day org staff were Berklee students.

Keith tells me I can petition my illegal PC status. I ask how and he says he'll write it and send it for me. I think Great! I'll wait till it comes back.

Keith leaves and Paul comes back and he says I should do the Student hat till I get a reply. Finally I agree to do it. But they won't take it off the purif money, I have to pay for it seperately. F**ckers!

Next: into the Academy

freethinker

Sponsor
The Boston academy

I routed on to the Student Hat course. My schedule was Saturday and Sunday all day and Monday nights. I wanted to get through quickly.

As anyone who has done an academy course it used to be that you started with KSW I. I liked it. Then I went for a checkout. FLUNK! go re-read your materials. OK. After the fourth or fifth time I was twinned with someone to help me get through.

I forgot to mention, the day I started, Tony Shepard, the sup, found a Swiss Army knife. I was working with another student. He walked up;held it in front of my face opening it and said "Is this yours?" I said "No" and he walked away.

After about a dozen or more flunks on KSW I (I never reread the bulletin i just looked up the word I flunked on and went back after a period of time) Tony put me with this guy to see why I wasn't getting through. I had been on it four days. He asked me what I was having trouble with. I told him that it didn't matter how many words I looked up I would always flunk on a word. But I also told him that I knew it inside and out. He quizzed me thoroughly including asking me what Ron meant about this and what he meant about that and when we were done, He signed it off.

In all the time I was in Scientology, Points 7,8,9 and ten were violated constantly by staff and quite a loot by public.

After KSW I I flew along pretty well. I was actually into getting through it fast as I wanted to start the Purif and thought my petition would be back anytime soon.

When I was on the third study tape I had been on the course 3 months.

One day at 6pm after course i was leaving the academy. I had noticed that there had been two guys that had set up shop in a large room which I later came to find was the Basic course room. I had seen people go in over a three week period and the doors would be closed. On my way out of the academy this short guy came up to me and introduced himself as Ted Bragin.

He told me that he needed to brief me on the most important thing that was happening in Scientology. Then he told me I would need rubber bands around my socks because he was going to blow my socks off. What a cornball.

I go into the room and Ted closes the large double doors behind me. In front of me is a large desk and behind it is a portly man in a uniform. There's a white cap with a black band and a wreath insignia on the desk. The man gets up and introduces himself as Cliff Bowen. Years later his wife would do an eval where there were 10 whys and I was the who.

Cliff begins to tell me about an Italian org that was shut down but they were able to open up the next day in a new building because the IAS had a war chest (Cliff leaned toward me and peered at me) that prevented Scientology from being shut down and that was the purpose of the IAS. To protect Scientology.

This was the purpose of the IAS in January 1988. It's purpose has morphed over the years as many of you know.

So Cliff and Ted were trying to impinge upon me in a cloak and dagger fashion just how crucial this war chest is. Then they get to the punch line that I could see coming for about 45 Min. They want me to make a donation. I explain to them nicely at first that all my money is already designated for bills and I can't afford to make a donation. They start telling me how sometimes people have more money than they say. My ears are getting hot. They're calling me a liar. They keep pressing this point and surely I can do something.

After 5 minutes of this I'm fucking pissed. I got up, spun around, and strode toward the door. Ted Bragin followed me. As I reached for the door, I felt Ted's hand on my shoulder. That was it! I clenched my fist and spun. I was gonna take his head right off. I held off. He began to appologize. I said "Don't tell me I'm lying when I'm not. He said OK and I left. I didn't know at the time that I had nearly commited a suppressive act. Now, I wish I had.

More later

mark

Pooks

MERCHANT OF CHAOS
I love your story. I know all the characters from Boston.

Ted Bragin was one creepy guy.

freethinker

Sponsor
I'm surprised

I never thought that my story would be riveting to anyone. I thank you.

And yes Ted Bragin was definitely creepy. But he was not the only one.

It's a little late and I'm abit tired so I won 't put down more tonight, but I'm glad that there are some who like it. It makes it worthwhile to write it.

I hope everyone in the states has a happy thanksgiving. Everyone else enjoy a beer.

Later

freethinker

Sponsor
LOA

A short time after the IAS incident, being on course was getting long and I wanted some time off. So I came in to the academy one day and noticed an LOA R/F on the sups desk. I approached Tony before lunch break was over and raquested an LOA. He began the R/F and then he stopped, looked up at me and said, "I think we're gonna try something else". I thought "shit I almost made it."

He pulled out a Student to Qual R/F and started that. He asked me to assist another student until he was ready to route me. In the course of getting references off the shelf to help the other student I glanced down and saw a report with my name on it, partially covered by the R/F, bu t I could see the word "blowy". I knew this wasn'good. Finally he came over and got me. I went to Qual.

I was brought upstairs and told to sit. As usual in the Boston org, and maybe elsewhere, you always sit for a long time before someone sees you. People walk by and look at you and you can see them make calculations, but don't say a word usually. Sitting gives you time to think. You think, "what's going to happen next?" "Will I still get to do my LOA?" "Why do all the women around here stomp with their heels when they walk?" "Maybe I shouldn't have come in at all today."

A tall man balding on top suddenly appeared and said follow me. He went around the corner at the end of the hallway. I followed and he was standing in the doorway of a small room with a beat up old table, mismatched chairs, a plywood shield about three feet wide and ten inches tall. On one side was a meter and paper. This was my first time in a metered auditing room.

I sat down and he had me pick up the cans and did some kind of list. I asked if I needed to answer the questions. He stopped and said "only if it reads" and explained the whole thing.

I don't remember a lot of what occured but in the end I said I relly wanted to do the Purif and I wanted to take a break from the course and wait for the answer to the petition. I remember he kept telling me I should continue with the course because it would help me. He seemed sincere but I wasn't interested. Then he said, "So what do you want to do?" I told him that if I couldn't do the purif that I wanted to quit. Then he said "Wait here" and got up and left the room. He also closed the door. I thought that was wierd. I sat there a long time.

Then he came back and said he had something he wanted to try and brought me back out into the waiting area. He went into the HGC and closed the door. Again I sat for a long time. He emerged and said he needed me to come back the next day. I agreed, but I really didn't want to. I was not having fun.

I came back the next day, and again, sat and waited. Finally a woman stomped up and said, "Come with me". She had a folder. I thought, "What's going to happen?"

She brought me into a room, got me on the meter, and did a list. I can't remember all the questions but it's a list that's done to check for implants and various things as well as withholds and overts. She didn't get any reads! I was now elligable to do the purif. My petition came back many months later. I remember it said, "Why are you bothering us with something that can be handled in your own org?" That was all. I didn't know if I shoud have answered so I didn't because I didn't know what Keith wrote in the petition and we were well past my acceptance by then. But, I also thought that whatever keith wrote made them mad.

The next thing you Know is I'm downstairs being put on a R/F to get on the purif.

I'm brought to the HGC where I meet Rick Hickey for the second time. He starts right in with the schedule and how I have to be there every day for five hours a day and I have to get eight hours sleep and I start to get pissed. I tell him I can't do the schedule because I get up at 5AM and wouldn't get to bed till midnight. We started to argue pretty loudly to the point where the ED popped in and asked what was going on. I said can't do the schedule and they start telling me to take time off from work because I really need to get through this. I'm saying no way because i already have a bad situation at work and that would make it worse. It was getting really heated. I said I'd do the 2 1/2 hr. schedule and I wasn't going to take time off from work. The ED looked at me and said "OK."

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
Hey Free,
I'm enjoying the story! :drama:
I especially love stories from Boston org as I was there for 7 years.
One day I was there answering the phones on Reception and heard
a blood-curdling scream come from the Purif area downstairs.
I couldn't run down there as I had calls coming in, so had to wait to find out what was going on.
When someone went down to investigate, one of our public (Lois Orlando) who was on the Purif was standing on top of the bench in the sauna.
She had seen a little mouse and apparently didn't like mice so much. ;)
From the scream, one would think that Xenu himself had walked in on her.