What's new

As suggested by Alanzo - My counseling sessions

Kathy (ImOut)

Gold Meritorious Patron
I vote Tampa! :D

Only if insurance covers it. The surgery is $10,750 and we don't have that kind of cash laying around. And that doesn't include the $1,500 consultation fee, the flight, hotel, food, etc.

Total cost is probably $15,000 - $17,000. I like expensive hotels and good food. LOL!!! Plus, I'd be sleeping and feeding Good Twin, since she'll be taking off work and driving me around and holding my hand.

And I'd rather see Good Twin at my best, not before and after surgery. No matter how simple the surgery is. I'm a horrible patient. LOL!!!!

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
My biggest concern, is not to have a scar on my neck that looks like someone tried to decapitate me. I've seen some pics - I don't want a 5 inch scar on my neck. The doctor in Tampa makes a 3/4 inch incision. And doesn't leave a scar. And if the surgery is done correctly, there's only about a 2 1/2 hour recovery time.

Check with your surgeon, but, I'd be surprised if any procedure would require more than a minimal cut. This isn't the dark ages after all :)

It's not even 1980

Zinj

Kathy (ImOut)

Gold Meritorious Patron
Oh gee Kat. I don't eat much.

I know you don't eat much, but we certainly aren't eating at McD's. I may want to cross the bridge to Clearwater and eat at some of my old haunts. I miss a couple of restaurants over there. LOL!!!

And I pretty much only stay at Hampton Inn's nowadays. They are clean and nice, but they are costly.

Also, if I'm flying all that way, I may want to stay three nights instead of just two.

Kathy (ImOut)

Gold Meritorious Patron
Check with your surgeon, but, I'd be surprised if any procedure would require more than a minimal cut. This isn't the dark ages after all :)

It's not even 1980

Zinj

I've seen pics of the incision that is made by doctors that don't do the newer version of the surgery.

Most surgeons due the surgery the old school method.

Good twin

Floater
I know you don't eat much, but we certainly aren't eating at McD's. I may want to cross the bridge to Clearwater and eat at some of my old haunts. I miss a couple of restaurants over there. LOL!!!

And I pretty much only stay at Hampton Inn's nowadays. They are clean and nice, but they are costly.

Also, if I'm flying all that way, I may want to stay three nights instead of just two.

The Lemontree or the Hour Glass? :happydance:

Kathy (ImOut)

Gold Meritorious Patron
The Lemontree or the Hour Glass? :happydance:

Neither. There's a really good Spanish place and then my old favorite Mexican restaurant. I'd freak out the owner of the Mexican place if I walked in his restaurant. (I wonder if he's still on that other bridge. Some of his customers got him "in". But not me. I just liked his food and his company when he'd come over and talk with me.)

Good twin

Floater
Neither. There's a really good Spanish place and then my old favorite Mexican restaurant. I'd freak out the owner of the Mexican place if I walked in his restaurant. (I wonder if he's still on that other bridge. Some of his customers got him "in". But not me. I just liked his food and his company when he'd come over and talk with me.)

Oh nevermind.:blush:

Kathy (ImOut)

Gold Meritorious Patron
Oh nevermind.:blush:

Besides I only ate at The Hibiscus. The Lemon Tree sucked. When I was "forced" to eat there, they had a bad habit of getting egg shells in the scrambled eggs. I was nearly not sessionable once, because the egg shell was stuck in my gum causing tremendous pain.

Good twin

Floater
Besides I only ate at The Hibiscus. The Lemon Tree sucked. When I was "forced" to eat there, they had a bad habit of getting egg shells in the scrambled eggs. I was nearly not sessionable once, because the egg shell was stuck in my gum causing tremendous pain.

Gosh Kat. You're such a princess. :)

HappyGirl

Gold Meritorious Patron
Ok, ok. Here's what you do. You have plenty of time (a month, right?) to find a nice cheap discount ticket and fly GT to YOU. Then your insurance can cover it, and you STILL have your hand held without too much expense. :D

Good twin

Floater
Ok, ok. Here's what you do. You have plenty of time (a month, right?) to find a nice cheap discount ticket and fly GT to YOU. Then your insurance can cover it, and you STILL have your hand held without too much expense. :D

Okay. But I've got plans for January 23rd. :coolwink:

Kathy (ImOut)

Gold Meritorious Patron
HAHAHAHAHA!!!! That's true - don't schedule surgery within 3 days of the 23rd. :D

I'm hoping to get this done between January 25th and February 5th. Husband may be off to Belgium on January 18th and daughter is coming for a visit February 11th.

And if this surgery fixes my constant tiredness, it will be great to have this done before daughter visits, so I'm not napping the entire time she is here. LOL!!! Tho, she let me know today, that she's good with napping. LOL!!!

justaguy

Patron Meritorious
All the test results are in - Yes, I have Hyperparathyroidism and need surgery to remove the bad parathyroid gland.

Now to find a doctor. I found a good one in Tampa, but my local doctor says there is one as good here in Dallas. Decisions, decisions, decisions. :melodramatic:

Time to do more research. If I go to Tampa, Good Twin will come hold my hand and we get to hang out and play before and after the surgery.

What to do, what to do? :confused2:

if you're having thyroid/parathyroid problems, as far as I know the most common fix is surgery and the calcium problems can lead to other nasty things (like kidney stones.)

Until the surgery, though, there are medications designed to deal with hormone deficiencies caused by (para)thyroid problems. A friend of mine is on one, used to spend 4-6 hours a day napping and is fine now. Your situation is probably different, but I'd check with the doctor.

Kathy (ImOut)

Gold Meritorious Patron
if you're having thyroid/parathyroid problems, as far as I know the most common fix is surgery and the calcium problems can lead to other nasty things (like kidney stones.)

Until the surgery, though, there are medications designed to deal with hormone deficiencies caused by (para)thyroid problems. A friend of mine is on one, used to spend 4-6 hours a day napping and is fine now. Your situation is probably different, but I'd check with the doctor.

Thanks, Justaguy. If you can find out what your friend is taking, I'd love to know.

The parathyroid is extremely different from the thyroid. The only job of the parathyroid is to regulate the calcium in your blood. When you have hyperparathyroidism (an over active parathyroid) you have too much calcium in your blood. Normal is 8.5 - 10.5 -- not a big range. So not only do I have too much calcium in my blood, I'm also urinating too much calcium.

So far, so good on no kidney stones. But my kidneys were hurting the other day. But the tiredness is beyond belief. I think I'm even more tired than I was having a newborn in the house and waking up for those 2 AM feedings. Plus, I'm a whole lot older than when I had a newborn in the house.

To the best of my knowledge from all the reading I've been doing on the internet, there is no drug or supplement to reduce the amount of parathyroid hormone that is being released that's sucking all the calcium out of my bones.

My plan is to just get the surgery as soon as I can. Before I have any more of the 12 symptoms. I already have at least 1/2 or a bit more of the symptoms of hyperparathyroidism.

Dark Phoenix

Patron Meritorious
This is a wonderful thread, Kathy.

There's a quote my therapist gave me: "You have to know when to hold and when to fold, when to be powerful, when to be vulnerable." It took some time and some work before I could see the truth in it, but once I did I was so grateful to have stuck it out and put the work in. It's tremendously freeing once you realize you don't have to go through life fighting yourself. :)

I do indeed wish you the very best with the surgery and in making a solid recovery all round.

The fatigue you're feeling at present must certainly get trying. :hug: It's one of those things that tends to affect so many areas of your life. Relaxation techniques can be very refreshing and helpful in restoring your energy levels.

I look forward to reading more from you.

Take care of yourself.

Kathy (ImOut)

Gold Meritorious Patron
This is a wonderful thread, Kathy.

There's a quote my therapist gave me: "You have to know when to hold and when to fold, when to be powerful, when to be vulnerable." It took some time and some work before I could see the truth in it, but once I did I was so grateful to have stuck it out and put the work in. It's tremendously freeing once you realize you don't have to go through life fighting yourself. :)

I do indeed wish you the very best with the surgery and in making a solid recovery all round.

The fatigue you're feeling at present must certainly get trying. :hug: It's one of those things that tends to affect so many areas of your life. Relaxation techniques can be very refreshing and helpful in restoring your energy levels.

I look forward to reading more from you.

Take care of yourself.

Thank you, DP. You have amazing words of wisdom. I do appreciate it.