What's new

Rex Fowler Charged With 1st Degree Murder!

Free2Dream

Patron with Honors
Since I don’t know too much about US gun laws, could someone who might know, tell us if it would be legal for one person to buy and register a gun and then just give it to someone else? Could the son face criminal charges?
Axiom142

It is unfortunate, but the state of Colorado does not require the registration of firearms, there are no regulations regarding bringing a firearm from another state, and there are no restrictions on the transfer of firearms to another person unless that person is a federally licensed firearm dealer.

The gun may have been registered by his son when he initially bought it, but there isn't anything stopping him from giving it to his father.

I think the only way his son could be implicated would be if he knew his father was going to use it in the commission of a crime. Since his son gave it to him in 2007, I doubt he would have had knowledge that it would eventually be used to murder someone.

Feral

Rogue male
What materials? I agree with the evidence-of-premeditation angle. I would guess that the satchel/briefcase was what he *usually* carried his confidential materials in, but this time they weren't there. The note doesn't make sense otherwise.

Paul

The materials more than likely were in there. The note is a red herring, see my earlier post on the matter.

The materials only leave the briefcase while you are auditing. SOP.

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)
It is unfortunate, but the state of Colorado does not require the registration of firearms, there are no regulations regarding bringing a firearm from another state, and there are no restrictions on the transfer of firearms to another person unless that person is a federally licensed firearm dealer.

Not unfortunate at all - speaking as a Colorado resident.

The good things about the info is that it establishes that Fowler brought the gun to the meeting.

The gun may have been registered by his son when he initially bought it, but there isn't anything stopping him from giving it to his father.

I think the only way his son could be implicated would be if he knew his father was going to use it in the commission of a crime. Since his son gave it to him in 2007, I doubt he would have had knowledge that it would eventually be used to murder someone.

Don't think, based on the evidence thus far, that the son had anything to do with it. Kind of weird to buy a gun and register it in LA and then give it to his dad in Colorado.

Thrak

Gold Meritorious Patron
Hopefully, she will come to see the part that the cult of Scientology has played in wrecking their lives.

Axiom142

It's a pretty sad thing to think about. Imagine waking up one day to realize a man is dead, your husband is charged of the murder with whatever permanent injuries, your'e bankrupt, and the organization that fanned all of these flames and instigated the whole mess is just a fraud. What a nightmare. She probably never will.

How many deaths have there been just in the last year due to cult mind fuck? 4 or 5 that I know of. I think we should make it a point to keep various journalists and politicians aware of these things as they happen.

Axiom142

Gold Meritorious Patron
Love ya, and although I like a lot of your analysis, I disagree with this statement.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion and to disagree with me Mockingbird6. Doesn’t stop you from being wrong though. :p

True Scios see the results of their actions very well when those results would be bad PR for the church. Their lives are ruled by "what would the church think of me, what would people think of the church, if I did X?" (Everyone raise your hand if you were "in" and never had this thought!)

That is why I think Rex Fowler had reached the breaking point and was deliberately trying to bring bad repute on the church by his actions--see my earlier post elaborating on this.

I agree that further insanities existed, but I still think his basic statement, by what he did, exposes the church in ways they cannot cover up, and that was his intention.

I see what you are saying and you certainly raise an interesting point with regard to Fowler. Was this a ‘cry for help’ taken to its most extreme and shocking?

Could be, but I think the simplest explanation is that Fowler, under the colossal pressures placed upon him and his business by the cult of Scientology, suffered a psychotic break and attacked the nearest target that looked like an enemy. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if he or perhaps one of the Ethics Officers at his org had identified Ciancio as an SP. This would have enabled him justify murder in his own mind and he was really doing the ‘greatest god etc’.

Obviously looking at this whole situation from an exterior and rational viewpoint, Fowler’s actions are going to be very damaging to the CoS, perhaps not so much with the general public, but to the Scientology public and staff. I know that if I was still ‘in’ and read of this, I would have been severely shaken by it. An OTVII committing murder and then trying to suicide? Unthinkable!

I agree that Scientologists are often made to worry about how their actions may adversely affect the ‘church’, but the problem is, that their cognitive thinking has been so warped by their experiences, especially if they have been ‘in’ for a long time, that they are unable to fully appreciate what their actions cause.

Take for example, Tommy Davis. He has made goof after goof on TV and in the press. These make him and the CoS look like crazy cultists. Yet, he thinks he is doing the right thing by attacking critics. The BBC Panorama team made a TV program, which wasn’t very interesting. It mainly centred around allegations that the CoS were a weird and sinister cult that harasses it’s critics. So how does the CoS respond? By sending PIs and cameramen to follow and harass the TV crew and reporter! Then, Davis uses ‘Black Dianetics’ to provoke John Sweeny into losing his temper. So, Davis thinks he has won a victory with that. But, it simply turns a non-descript programme into compulsive viewing and gains massive publicity in the media.

Tom Cruise spouts a load of rubbish and even verbally lays into a talk show host (Matt Lauer) calling him ‘glib’ when discussing psychiatric medication. When I was ‘in’, I thought that this was the right thing to do and so did Cruise. Now, most people think that Cruise is a nutjob.

I’ve seen Scientologists protest outside a couple’s home and we’ve seen (on YouTube) other protestors mount counter-demonstrations against people like Mark Bunker and Tory Christman using all sorts of derogatory and insulting and even threatening language. George Baillie thought that he could cave me in my calling me “Crazy, nuts, insane!” and telling me that I would “Die alone and in pain and in the dark”. They all thought that this was the right thing to do, but in fact resulted in very damaging negative publicity and even in a law suit.

The list of own goals or footbullets by Scientologists is endless. If any of them had really thought through their actions and considered the consequences, they would have seen that it might not have been such a good idea. But, they were so intent of ‘defending their church’ or ‘attacking the attackers’ because they’ve been told to, that they are unable to look far enough ahead to see what the results might be.

Scientologists are constrained by their ‘rules’ which were written by Hubbard and now also by Miscavige. This will be their undoing because they have no flexibility to change and adapt.

Axiom142

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
Since I don’t know too much about US gun laws, could someone who might know, tell us if it would be legal for one person to buy and register a gun and then just give it to someone else? Could the son face criminal charges?
Axiom142

The law in California says transfers between immediate family members are OK without prior paperwork, but within 30 days paperwork must be filled out reporting the transfer. If the police discover that any required paperwork was not filled in, they may try to hold that over the son in an attempt to get him to talk in greater detail.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
The materials more than likely were in there. The note is a red herring, see my earlier post on the matter.

The materials only leave the briefcase while you are auditing. SOP.

I guess we'll have to wait and see, then. Calling something "Confidential" without further reference is meaningless. It means something in the CofS, but again, further reference is needed even in that group: Clear and above? OT3 and above? etc. etc. A note meant for non-scios that uses the word without further explanation is meaningless.

Paul

Feral

Rogue male
I guess we'll have to wait and see, then. Calling something "Confidential" without further reference is meaningless. It means something in the CofS, but again, further reference is needed even in that group: Clear and above? OT3 and above? etc. etc. A note meant for non-scios that uses the word without further explanation is meaningless.

Paul

I think as the note was written on the 30th Dec. Rex may have been under pressure and rushing his communication.

I'm almost certain that his folder and W/Ss are in that briefcase.

There is no other explanation for the note.

Another viewpoint

When I first read of this the first week of January I remember thinking that Rex was the LAST person I could imagine doing this. I couldn't have been much more shocked.

But knowing what duress he has most certainly gone through in the "modern" Church of Scientology I guess I'm less surprised.

I met Rex the day he walked into Gary Knutson and Mike Brisnehan's Scn Mission of Boulder back in about 1975. The "good old days". He'd read a promo piece we'd put out - the "Auditor 13" ('PHILOSOPHY WINS AFTER 2000 YEARS' was its banner.) I sold Rex the Dianetics book, he read it and was off like gangbusters. I can't think of very many guys who seemed more alive and vibrant. He was so uptone, competent and engaging. Politically he was the first Libertarian I had met. He was passionate about anything he put his mind to. And I think he was usually successful in what he attempted.

When he met and then later fell in love with Jan (who I had known for a few months and had had a budding but "not destined to blossom" relationship) I had real mixed emotions. I had a real bond with her - she was a wonderful woman - a talented and caring artist - and I recall my suppressed tears as I watched them say their wedding vows a couple of years later. "That should be me up there", I was thinking.

The next year I left Boulder and lost touch with Jan and Rex. My own Scn career gyrated like a Tilt-o-Whirl. In the SO at Flag for a couple of years. Blew. "Made up the damage" and got heavily involved as a volunteer. Then off lines for a looong time then finally back "on lines" in the mid 90s "for good" and doggedly trained from the bottom ("New Golden Age of Tech Student Hat!") to Class VI. (And to REALLY make up any damage, racked up $100K+ in debt to save us all via the IAS!)

It was late in this training that I ran into Rex again (about 2004). Surprised the hell out of me. Older and grayer but still the wonderful chap I remembered. (Now that I think back however he wasn't quite as vibrant as before. I overlooked it at the time.) I coached him through a few of the "tougher" drills on the Pro Metering course. He was good too.

Turns out, although I didn't have the full story, his TIP (Technical Individual Pgm.) was to train through Cl IV Auditor training to get back on OTVII. I thought at the time it seemed a bit odd. I wondered what he (who had always been so competent) had (or hadn't) done that made this a necessity.

Over the next couple of years he would be out from Denver for a week or two of training, obviously making bit by bit progress. The last time I saw him he was with Jan and I got to see her for the first time in almost 30 years. I know she had been on (perhaps off, too) VII for a long time. I guess I expected some sparks or something in my universe (hers?). No, not really. I imagined she was "happy" (but secretly wondered a little).

I knew their son (goes by 'Alex') casually as he worked in Treasury at ASHO Fdn. He was adopted - of Asian heritage. A nice young man, always seemed genuinely friendly. I don't understand his buying his dad a pistol!! Seems like a very odd gift.

I can only imagine his regrets now.

And (unrealistically I'm sure) maybe Jan's that she didn't stick with me.

And my own I guess... that I sold Rex that Dianetics book almost 35 years ago.

I wish he'd seen the light in time and gotten himself and his family and business out from under the influence of what the C of $ has become.

My heart truly goes out to the Ciancio family.

dchoiceisalwaysrs

Gold Meritorious Patron
Perhaps some ex's might like to offer their services to the police to help them translate the contents of the satchel as it might shed light on his motives and state of mind.

Welcome anoyvix. Yes, I do think that if a couple of ex VII's and even a Solo Nots C/S could reach out to the DA and offer assistance it would help reveal the facts. I never did the OT levels, but I understand those on that level need to be able to GET in session by flying their rudiments somehow.That would /could reveal a lot of what was going on with Fowler. If the DA uses help from the CoS, there is huge potential for mis-direction and cover up.

The amount of tragedy and suffering that is precipitated is just horrendous. Read Nancy Many's book http://mybillionyearcontract.com/ where in she talks about the mental torture/trauma that she, Lisa McPherson, and Greg Bashaw went through.

My condolences again to the families. And to all scientologists who on such a dangerous path, stop, look around. What kind of bridge are you on that has you enslaved and your fellow scientologists trying to or are commiting suicide.

Thank you all who are contributing to the end this cults atrocities.

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
My heart truly goes out to the Ciancio family.

They are probably very upset and distraught right now, and the people they are getting advice from are likely to only be thinking about how to keep this flap off Scn lines.

They could probably use an old friend.

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
Thanks for that Zinj.

I know that I am straying into very dangerous territory here, but the thought that someone can buy a powerful handgun and then just give it to another person to do with as they please and no one has to get a license or inform the police makes me very sad.

Axiom142

Naturally, the police (and anyone else with a gun) may disapprove of other people having them. Luckily, in the US that disapproval isn't enough.

People with *legal* firearms very seldom commit illegal acts with them. Did they in this case? Dunno if Fowler's gun was legal.

Zinj

Zinj

Winston Smith

Flunked Scientology
I keep getting pulled back into discussions

Naturally, the police (and anyone else with a gun) may disapprove of other people having them. Luckily, in the US that disapproval isn't enough.

People with *legal* firearms very seldom commit illegal acts with them. Did they in this case? Dunno if Fowler's gun was legal.

Zinj

Zinj

First, a 9mm is not a "very powerful" gun. It is, like every single firearm in the world, lethal. Very powerful to me means .45 cal, or .357 magnum, or .44 cal, or many other types. Responsible gun owners to not chamber a round and whack people.

Like any property, it is permissible to give it away as a present, unless you happen to live in areas of the US where the US Constitution is ignored.

Situations as this, as tragic as they are, do not reflect on firearms. I know many gun owners and all of us exercise extreme caution and sanity around our weapons. The facts of this case make no sense--taking of life, a sentence in prison for life or execution, causing greivous bodily harm to oneself (maybe to include paralysis) for what, $9000? And destroying your family and that of another human being? Not worth it in a billion years, Sea Org contract or not.

Yes, Dulloldfart, murder is illegal everywhere in the US. But in cases of self defense it is not murder. That does not enter into this case....Fowler evidently is an unstable criminal, unable to control his actions. I for one would NEVER pick up a weapon if I were angry. This is why firearms safety courses are vital.

Last edited:

Panda Termint

Cabal Of One
I think as the note was written on the 30th Dec. Rex may have been under pressure and rushing his communication.

I'm almost certain that his folder and W/Ss are in that briefcase.

There is no other explanation for the note.
The folder would also contain the various *Highly Confidential* Solo NOTs Correction Lists and Attachments. Maintaining the security of these materials is paramount to anyone on OTVII and is what the CofS would be most concerned about in regards to the materials.

Winston Smith

Flunked Scientology
Thanks for that Zinj.

I know that I am straying into very dangerous territory here, but the thought that someone can buy a powerful handgun and then just give it to another person to do with as they please and no one has to get a license or inform the police makes me very sad.

Axiom142

Laws vary across the country, however, it is illegal in most places to purchase a gun and immediately give it to a third party. That would be classified as trafficking in weapons and it is obvious why it its illegal. In the Fowler case though this does not seem to be the case. If CA required notification of the transfer within 30 days, that is a material fact in this case.

Tom of Helatrobus

Patron Meritorious
Rex Fowler on front page of Denver Post

I was out walking today when I saw Rex Fowler's picture on the front page of the Denver Post. I live in Denver. The headline is "Exec held in office slaying." It is the same article linked to earlier, but there is more information in the print article...

There is more of the Scientology angle brought up in the end of the article:

"Janet Fowler also reportedly told investigators that her husband 'is a Scientologist and would not have gone without a fight. He would have grabbed a gun in a struggle and would not have let someone shoot him.'

"She slso told investigators that Ciancio had sent e-mails to Rex Fowler, threatening to hire an attorney and sue over money he said was owed him.

"Adam's County officials said that Fowler is in custody but would not say where he is being held. he was last known to be at Denver Health Medical Center, but his name no longer appears on patient rosters.

"No court date has been set for Fowler.

"Ciancio's family members said they did not want to comment on the case. Calls to Fowler's Broomfield home and to the Church of Scientology were not returned Friday.

"Several websites that scrutinize Scientology have been following the case, with links to records that allegedly reveal Fowler was a senior Scientologist. The sites claim that Fowler Software was a member of the World Institute of Scientology Enterprises.

"According to the arrest affidavit, Ciancio's brother gave investigators four binders of Scientology material that Fowler had given to Ciancio, asking him to study the religion.

"Ciancio was raised a Roman Catholic, his family said, and had attended New Hope Presbyterian Church in Castle Rock."

Mockingbird6

Patron with Honors
I see what you are saying and you certainly raise an interesting point with regard to Fowler. Was this a ‘cry for help’ taken to its most extreme and shocking?

Hi Ax,
I won't include all your statements but I do see what you mean, especially about Tommy Davis! LOL I will stay tuned for more info. M6