What's new

My life at FLANZO, Flag and Int.

Petey C

Silver Meritorious Patron
I joined the ex-scn forum last year and posted a very short summary of my eight years in the SO in ANZO and Flag. I was a bit irregular in my visits to ESMB but have started visiting more regularly now, and it’s time to tell more of my story. Thanks to those of you who have encouraged me. It’s now 28 years since I left, and information is now everywhere about Scientology and the SO. Since reading the posts on this site and others I have been stunned at the brutality of some of the experiences people have had and the fact that my story from so many years ago has been repeated so many times. But at the same time I’m humbled by the way you exes out there have come to grips with what happened to and around you, and the way you have worked your way through.

So here’s my story. I'll be posting it in bits.

It was 1974 and I was 23 years old and living in Sydney, Australia with my boyfriend Mike. I was an aspiring singer-songwriter and Mike was a lot of things, including manager of a live music venue and sound engineer. One rainy Sunday night in June (early winter), the two of us and our friend Chris decided we’d try this Comm Course that some other friends had been raving about. How bad could this little course be?

So the next day we trotted off to the Sydney Day org which was at Lee Street near Central Railway. It was a strange wedge-shaped building with green tiles on the outside. Inside, it was shabby, with cheap, shonky, mismatched furniture and huge pictures of this weird-looking chubby guy wearing sailing clothes all around the place. I was determined not to let appearances trouble me. I was a bit taken aback by the way everyone was so nice to us, and how they all stared without blinking. We got regged up for the Comm Course, $25 each, and went straight to the courseroom which looked decrepit, home-made and rundown like the rest of the place.

Our supervisor was Kevin McPherrin, who was to become a good friend. Kevin and his wife Linnah (and baby Moksha) were Americans, and Kevin ran a terrific course. The three of us were absolutely flipped out about the course, and we felt its positive effects on day 1. Every day we’d go off and do our TRs, and we had a ball. Every night we’d try and wade through DMSMH. Before we finished, though, John Parselle and Steve Stevens, Tours ANZO regges came to reg us for more services.

I never cared for Steve as I always thought he was a bit of a boof-head. However, I thought John was charming and charismatic. They sold us each on a small package of auditing, and I paid for mine through a loan from another Scientologist arranged by Tours. They had a good thing going: Tours sold the services introduced you to the lender, and we poor suckers paid the loan + interest. It took me years to pay off this money.

During the honeymoon period we were invited to lots of different events, including the release of the Apollo All-Stars album. The three of us were all in the music business and I think the Lee St people plus the SO guys from the FOLO were all keen to see us be really, really impressed. But really impressed we were not, it was just not our sort of music. In fact, I got sent to Ethics for snickering during the record play and referring to “Commodore Cody and His Lost Planet”. That was when I was introduced to the theory of J&D.

Over the next few months, John Parselle tried mightily to recruit us into the SO and eventually succeeded. The idea was that we three would be the beginnings of the ANZO Celebrity Centre, and we would be full SO members but still live at our own place and start getting Australian musos into Scientology.

As if. What did happen was that we moved into FOLO ANZO at 24 Dick Street, Henley, for our EPF training. If the Lee Street org was a bit of a downmarket surprise, FLANZO was a real ripsnorter. No-one could have called the three of us rich as we were just barely making it, but the FOLO looked like a hovel to me. The house was a crumbling Victorian mansion, a shadow of its former self, and crammed with people and their tatty furniture.

In fact I observed later that the FOLO was largely furnished through hard rubbish collections (where householders leave their bits of crap outside their houses twice a year and the city trash collectors come and collect it). At FLANZO, the SO got there before the trash collectors and lugged home bits of broken desks, rickety bed frames, backless chairs, etc. All this new furniture – so exciting! (But seriously, how else were they going to supply themselves. Only Tours, and by extension the Stevens clan, had any money.)

Chris could not stand the whole business of living in such degraded conditions with 50 or 60 strangers, sharing a smelly dorm room with other boys and men, and living to such a regimented schedule. He left almost immediately, returned to do his conditions and remained onlines as public. Mike and I stayed on in the SO, trying to ignore the conditions and keep our eye on the purpose. Our room was in the tower, 10 feet by 10 feet, and we had a rubber mattress we unrolled at night to sleep on. Our pay at the time was laughable, under $10 a week – when we got paid, of course.

After my basic training, I was given the post of A/CS-6. Mike built us a shared desk in his usual deft and competent way, so at least we had a decent workspace.

The CO was Chris Stevens, and her husband Norman Herring was the Supercargo. Albert Megraw was FR, and Naomi Megraw the LRH Comm. One thing Mike and I found very hard to bear was the constant screaming – Chris Stevens was a shrieker, and she used to pump herself up by playing Neil Diamond very loud, all the while screaming “Who’s on lines?!” at the top of her lungs. It was all excruciating, like being permanently tied to a boisterous head prefect, and even harder was trying to act like a good sport about it all.

The food was also extraordinarily bad, and this was even before the long runs of beans and rice (oops, joke not intended). Basically, it was pap and mush and we longed for the wonderful diverse food we used to eat. Mike must have had some money – I spent all of mine paying for my auditing – and we ate out whenever we could, but the money soon ran out.

We tried to leave a couple of times. Once Mike and I got as far as packing the car, borrowing $20 for gas money so we could drive to my mother’s house 200 kms away, and waiting for dinnertime when we would make our getaway. Chris Stevens came after me, separated us, and screamed at me so loudly that my ears rang. She told me I was a coward, good for nothing, never did anything decent in my whole life, never would, couldn’t stick to anything, was a worthless piece of shit and always would be. She screamed so hard and long that I was just weeping with terror. In the end we both stayed, did our formulas and more or less got used to our lives. We split up shortly after this and I moved into the girls’ dorm (3.5 on a scale of 10 as compared to 1.5 for the men’s dorm). Sydney is not a cold place, but because there wasn’t any heating and certainly not enough bedding, I used to sleep with a large down cushion (made by my sister) balanced on my tummy.

Mike remained in the SO, eventually going to Int or whatever they call it now. He died in the RPF, I think, in February of 2009, with lung cancer that to my knowledge was not properly treated though one lung was removed. RIP, Mike. Like all of us, he had his flaws. But he was a good man, kind and generous and loving to me and I’m sorry he went before I could say that to him.

More later.

scooter

Gold Meritorious Patron
Thanks for the intro - I remember driving out to the decrepit building that was FLANZO not long after I first joined staff in 1979 and it was a dump with harbour views.

I also remember the absolute poverty of SO members then - unwashed shirts because they couldn't afford detergent, gaunt faces from malnutrition, constant coughing from chain-smokers.

Steve by contrast always had money because he was the reg.

Looking forward to more. :drama:

Panda Termint

Cabal Of One
Hi Petey Cougar,
I know you! I came in just after you and Mike.
You're right about Mike, I saw him at Flag around 2000 (I think) and he was still the same wonderful guy beneath the Gold overlay.
It's great to see you posting on the board. :)
Cheers, Panda

the-ghostwhowalks

Patron with Honors
I know you too !

Yes ! It was your good self who gave my my current "nick" ! - Are you still singing and playing ? - Good luck ! - Please continue with any stories and thoughts you may have ... GWW :)

Carmel

Crusader
Great to have you posting your story, Petey. :)

As you know, we never met (as you were no longer in Sydney when I got there), but you were highly regarded by those who knew you, and many kind words were spoken about you.

Nice to have you here, and looking forward to your story.

Love,
Carmel

Petey C

Hi Petey Cougar,
I know you! I came in just after you and Mike.
You're right about Mike, I saw him at Flag around 2000 (I think) and he was still the same wonderful guy beneath the Gold overlay.
It's great to see you posting on the board. :)
Cheers, Panda

Thanks Panda! I've always loved your nickname though it took me a while to geddit.

Part 2 coming up soon.

Petey C

Yes ! It was your good self who gave my my current "nick" ! - Are you still singing and playing ? - Good luck ! - Please continue with any stories and thoughts you may have ... GWW :)

I gave you your nickname? Please PM me and tell me who you are! Yes, I'm still singing and playing. In fact singing and playing was what got me through it when I first got out. I must have written 20 songs that I never play to anyone except the odd ex or two. :whistling:

Petey C

Great to have you posting your story, Petey. :)

As you know, we never met (as you were no longer in Sydney when I got there), but you were highly regarded by those who knew you, and many kind words were spoken about you.

Nice to have you here, and looking forward to your story.

Love,
Carmel

Thanks Carmel for your kind words as they mean a lot to me. I seem to remember too many times when I wasn't all that nice and kind and I hope that most people will have forgiven me by now. :)

Petey C

Thanks for the intro - I remember driving out to the decrepit building that was FLANZO not long after I first joined staff in 1979 and it was a dump with harbour views.

I also remember the absolute poverty of SO members then - unwashed shirts because they couldn't afford detergent, gaunt faces from malnutrition, constant coughing from chain-smokers.

Steve by contrast always had money because he was the reg.

Looking forward to more. :drama:

There were a lot of reasons he always had money. The theory was, money makes money so we shouldn't not pay the Tours regges as their havingness would be down and we'd all suffer. Also his sister and brother-in-law chaired the Finance Planning committee. He also got bonuses when no-one else did. They could also have a dog (Spats, the boxer) when no-one else could. And so on.

I'm amazed at how we could afford to buy tobacco or cigarettes. And I'm not surprised so many SO members died of cancer, including lung cancer.

Petey

Petey C

But back to the job. Well, basically there wasn’t that much to do. The ANZO Div 6s were a bit patchy – some reasonably OK ones, but a lot of part-timey, under-staffed ones (especially the Foundation orgs). Once I’d sent out my weekly telexes exhorting everyone to work harder and get more PRPS and NNCF, there wasn’t much else I could do. I couldn’t make progress on Flag programs when there was no-one available at the org end to do much of anything except hold it together. So I asked Chris Stevens whether I could go to work at Sydney Day as their Distribution Secretary, just so that I wouldn’t die of boredom.

By this time, the majestic Phyll Stevens had arrived in ANZO and was CO Sydney Day. I remember how it was said that she was “beloved of LRH” or some fancy old-fashioned formulation like that. She was basically terrifying and liked it that way. She’d seen it all, done it all, and nothing surprised her any more. She used to all the time tell stories that demonstrated how she had these mystical OT powers, could read your thoughts, predict the future, whatever. I’m sure the intention was to miss withholds, and she sure did – which of course verified her view that everyone was crazy and incompetent except her and her kids.

(By the way, had no-one heard about conflict of interest? Here’s Chris Stevens being CO ANZO, her mother Phyll being her direct report as CO Sydney Day, her brother another direct report as CO Tours (John Parselle and his wife Helen had blown by this time), her husband as the FOLO Supercargo. Is this OK? Not in the real world it’s not. Even in the loony Scn world, there’s a huge capacity for mutual out-ruds in these situations.)

At Sydney Day at the time (1974-1978) were Phyll as CO, Brian Rackham as Tech Sec, Peter Sparshott as Qual Sec (his wife Maureen was with the GO). Martin Bentley was C/S for a time and then Jan Hill took over. Andrew Stephens was there in Div 2, Nick Cramey was an auditor, his mother Julie was the examiner, Noel O’Donnell and his wife (Sue?) were also auditors. So was John Brownlee, and his sister Joan was there too. There was an Irish couple, Colm and Breda? Colin Gow (RIP) was also in Div 6. Vicky Alpe was LRH Comm, and there was a parade of FRs including Eric Kleitsch and Larry Lester. Quite a lot of these guys were SO who commuted to/worked in the org. Cherie Eves was CO Sydney Foundation for a time. At the Folo, Jane and Charles Watts were there, Andrew’s wife Janet Stephens was in HCO, the Bolstads were there (Dot, Gordon, Arthur and Denise). The Bloombergs had arrived from NZ, some to join Tours (David). Albert was recruiting FRs everywhere, and as well as a poor sap Gary (about whom more later), there was a guy called Alex. Mark Whitta was also around. And my friend Jan Silk who was recruited to Tours but fell foul of the Thought Police and was banished to be a slavey in the galley. (Those of you whose names don’t come immediately to mind, forgive me. A lot has happened to use up memory space since then.)

Had I but known it at the time, by working at both FOLO and Sydney Day I was setting myself up to be a serious punching bag. During the days, Phyll was my boss; at nights and weekends, Chris was my boss and they compared notes daily. I copped it on all sides.

Chris and Phyll had many, constant criticisms of me. At one stage somewhere in 1975-77 Phyll did an eval of Div 6 and found me as the who, and she came to tell me that she’d done this and the why was that I was “psychotic on the 2D”. I barely restrained myself from throwing a stapler at her. (Which of course again proved her point.) I came closer to throwing myself under a truck that day than any other.

Here’s how it looked to me at the time. I was working two jobs, one of them for free. It was hard for me to get both sets of stats up on the same fortnight so I might go months and months without a liberty. (And we worked from 8am till 10pm five days, with Saturday nights off and Sunday mornings for cleaning.) When I did get a day off, I had no money anyway. As well as working the two jobs, it was also my job on Saturdays and Sundays to drive the truck from Dick Street to Lee Street every morning to take the FOLO staff there, then again at lunch time to deliver lunch, then again in the evening to pick them all up and bring them back again. While I was working at Lee Street as Dist Sec, I often could not leave the Div 6 when the SO “lunch” was being served and often got down to the basement to find nothing left for me except bread and margarine, which would be what I ate. Phyll bullied me during the day, and Chris bullied me in the evening. That meant shouting and screaming, contemptuous head shaking at things I did or said, assigning me lower conditions, sending false reports about me to Flag (which I found when I got to Flag), making me work through mealtimes, forcing me to clean the bathroom (my cleaning station) when someone else dirtied it, giving me MEST work when they thought I was spinning out, ignoring only me in the whole room, etc. (I once was assigned to weed the driveway, and it was a wonderful relief to be talking to plants with my fingers in the dirt all day, after the madness of the FOLO. ) I could do nothing right, not even CSP. I never saw my family; I had no friends outside Scientology; I’d sold my guitar and all my musical dreams; I was broke and hungry and sad and demoralised.

So was I crazy? You bet I was, but not for the reasons they thought.

Cherished

Well, this is exciting. It's incredible to me how many Aussies were influential in Scientology.

Your descriptions are very evocative, Petey. Looking forward to part 2.

Edit: Doh! There it is.

How were the Bolstads related to Maureen Bolstad, does anyone know?

Keep going, Petey!

Petey C

Well, this is exciting. It's incredible to me how many Aussies were influential in Scientology.

Your descriptions are very evocative, Petey. Looking forward to part 2.

Thank you ma'am. Part 3 coming up right now ...

At some stage in about 1977-78, things changed. I stopped working for Sydney Day. For some reason lost to memory I also did a Liability formula which pleased me, as I felt for once I got to the bottom of something that had been troubling me about myself. I had a major epiphany and my attitude towards myself changed. At about the same time, Chris Stevens fell madly in love or lust, maybe both, with an American recruit called Gary something-or-other who Albert Megraw has recruited. Chris used to shriek, “He’s so RANGY!” as though that was something Gary did rather than just be’d. She doted on him to the point that it was embarrassing, especially for those of us, most of us, who quite liked Norman Herring. (And Gary himself, who was a good sort.) Eventually she had some sort of melt-down after having sex or something like sex with him. I don’t think the poor sap ever really knew what happened to him. He left soon after. Chris ‘fessed up to Flag, assigned herself a lower condition and then wrote up her O/Ws which we all had to read. She and Norman split up, and she couldn’t really be holier than thou after that.

Also at the time, the definition of PRPS changed and thanks to some enterprising Dist Secs, my stats shot out the roof. The stats guys used to just add graph paper to the top of the stats rather than rescale them, so my stats went up the wall and across the ceiling. All of a sudden, through a stroke of someone’s pen, I was OK! I hadn’t personally changed a molecule but was suddenly upstat consistently for the first time since I entered the SO and therefore a worthy human being. What a difference a definition makes.

And how life changed for me. I regularly took days off, a real change, and as we used to occasionally get paid, I started getting back in touch with my divorced parents through letters. I think I even took a weekend holiday one time.

In 1978, I went to Flag. I did the Minister’s course and got my visa and off I went. I stayed at the FH in another dorm. Those bunk beds – I used to bruise my shoulder every time I turned over in bed. But things were pretty benign at the time. Fran Harris was CO FSO and Kerry Gleeson was CO FB, and I was assigned as Port Captain. I did the Port Captain gig for a few months and also became the ANZO Org Flag Officer, and I got a thrill out of reading all those false reports that had been sent to Flag about me when I was dog poo.

My stint as Port Captain was short and boring. One of the more interesting things was a project I did where I went to the R Archives and read through the squillions of telexes and memos from LRH. It totally spooked me. He was preparing for a new book – the one about the Buddha which seems no longer to be in circulation – and it was clear, explicitly clear, that he wanted to be positioned if not as Jesus then as Buddha. I thought this was seriously creepy. For me, it was the beginning of the end though I didn’t know it yet. That whole episode raised so many questions about his sanity and his intentions. The effort required to keep my thoughts suppressed was intense. I’m not surprised that I failed to do so!

I just found my W2 (statement f earnings) from 1980 – I earned $1,063.77 that year. That’s just over $20 a week. Sheer riches it was to me then.

I was recalled from a mission to Africa to be the Marketing Exec Int in the new Exec structure headed up by Bill Franks. This was about the time of the Purification Rundown and I must have been one of only a few hundred people in the SO who had never taken LSD and had an IQ over 100, and that was why I was picked. Never mind that I knew zip about marketing. Luckily Bruce Wilson was head of the Marketing Bureau filled with such stalwarts as Jeff Hawkins and Pete McMahon as well as others. The Int strata was a fancy new idea – “the buck stops here”. (Not.) I thought I had reached the pinnacle, the garden of the gods. (We got paid and everything! We got to eat real food! They gave us uniforms! Woo-hoo!) But the amazing thing about Scientology is this: when you think you can see the top level, there are more layers to uncover. At Flag, there was the Clearwater CMO, then above that there was Int, Gold, WDC, MonD and so forth – all alphabet soup to me. And even though we were the senior execs, we were still monitored weekly by CMO CW messengers as though we were 18 years old. (Um, generally THEY were 18 years old.)

I got over my initial nervousness around Bill Franks, and got to know and appreciate him. Also in the Exec structure were: Bill Price, Sonya Caccavella, DHH, David Gellie, Sandy Wilhere, Real Laplaine. There was a Books Exec who didn’t last long, and I don’t remember her name. But in general, I got on well with everyone there and for a few months, I seem to have had good times and laughs despite hard work, some muscling along by Bill, constant intervention by the CMO, upstats and downstats, many all-nighters (sometimes 2-3 days long), and a flood of telexes an instructions and commands from WDC. I think I fell back into the J&D with one of my colleagues and we privately referred to WDC as WBC -- Watchbudgie Committee.

Things get fuzzy and confused around here. The purges started around about then, though I was only on the sidelines. I do remember Bill getting hauled off upstairs and then suddenly he wasn’t ED Int any more. I mean, I lived through it and knew what was happening at the time, but the memory has not stayed with me. Kerry either took over as ED Int. I took over from DHH as Int FES, so I must have been moved from Marketing and DHH must have moved somewhere else. I was away a lot on mission and also took a vacation back to Australia in March of 1982 (but had to work while on vacation, and was called back early). So I missed quite a lot of it. I was also “elsewhere” a lot – dreaming of being free.

When I got back from Australia, I was RPF’d. I passed my first post-vacation bsec check But I had to go back for seconds, by which time I was so sick of it all that I just did a big blurt and waited to see what came next. I wanted an FB and I wanted to quit and go home. But instead I got the RPF at Flag.

Petey C

How were the Bolstads related to Maureen Bolstad, does anyone know?

I don't think they were related. The Bolstads were New Zealanders and Maureen seems to be an American (I read her story but don't know her). Also I think maybe their name was Bolstead not Bolstad, but don't remember for sure.

Petey C

The last part of the story

So what’s to tell about the RPF. It was pretty dingy and I was pretty grossed out, on one hand, but on the other hand, I felt freer than when I was on post. I made a dramatic attempt at leaving and was almost successful. I was determined to go and because of this had to do endless conditions until finally I came up with a conclusion that was acceptable. (That was, stay.) We had to audit anywhere and everywhere in the Fort Harrison dungeons and I became an expert at just lifting my feet off the floor as the mice ran around but never taking my eyes off the meter/PC. Real Laplaine got me reprieved after three endless months. He was in PAC and was starting up something called the Central Marketing Unit and I was to head it up. So off I went.

PAC was a wild ride for me. I spent a few months building up this marketing bureau and I thought I did well. However, last year I finally opened up the box of letters I had been carting around with me for 30 years and started reading. I felt so sad for my former self, the young woman who was me in 1982. David Michel, who was D/ED Estab Int (and had been in the SO five minutes) read out a telex from LRH that said I (a) had crashed the book income through a pricing change at Pubs (when I never went on such a mission), (b) was spreading entheta around Flag (when I had not even been there for six months), and (c) was the “who” of ANZO. I like this last one best and still brag about it.

I was pretty disaffected by now. As a fairly low-level insignificant creature, I didn’t really know what was going on other than there was widespread paranoia. David Miscavige was just coming into prominence and we heard secretly that Messengers were tumbling out of WDC. There was some kind of huge mystery going on about LRH, but no-one really knew what. I didn’t know anyone at PAC so didn’t really have anyone to discuss all of this with.

Anyway, back I went to the RPF. The PAC RPF was scary as hell to me. I was a young single woman who knew no-one in LA or PAC, and it was a tough gig. My daily assignment was to sweep the carpark at the far end of the complex. I was almost always alone with no-one around for hundreds of yards, and was stopped and leered at and propositioned by every weirdo on the Boulevard. I could have disappeared and no-one would notice or care. It was almost as bad as being monstered by Phyll Stevens!

Eventually a Messenger came and got me to go to the CMO HQ for some kind of special sec check. I don’t remember much about it but once again, I was done with dissembling and pretending to be a good soldier, so I just answered the questions as frankly as I could. I really wanted to get in their face and snarl a little. There was nothing left to lose. This is a good feeling as it makes you reckless and fearless. Reckless I surely was.

Next thing, I was told to pack a few things as I was going to Int (though they never said this). So I packed a toothbrush and a few clothes and was driven off into the wide blue yonder. I left my suitcases and passport at PAC in my dorm. How trusting. I was totally clueless – had no idea really of what LA connected with, where Int was, what was happening or why. I just got in the car like a lamb. I didn’t think to make a phone call to my mother in Australia, nothing. Even at that low time, I still trusted Scientology and Scientologists to take care of me.

We got there late one afternoon late in 1982. What I remember so vividly was how blue the sky was, and how strong the scent of eucalypts in the dry heat. Just like Australia. I was suddenly homesick.

I fetched up with a roomful of people. Kerry Gleeson, Bess Sullivan, Allen Buchanan, Roger Barnes, Pat Hunter, Emile Gilbert, Chris Stevens (CHRIS STEVENS!!! OMG!!!!), John Nelson, David Mayo, Julie Gillespie, Peter Warren, several others. Cautiously, we whispered among ourselves – why were we there? What was happening? What was the connection between us? (I hadn’t even met some of these guys, though of course some were known to me.) No-one knew.

Eventually I was taken to an MAA who gave me a charge list to read. You can see it at http://www.tr-l.org/mott0096.htm. What I remember was there was an airplane overhead, up high, and I could hear its drone as it flew into the horizon. Ever the musician, I remember a drone slowly descending and diminishing. It was a powerful metaphor. This is it for me, I thought. It’s all over now. This is the end of the line.

The Bill of Particulars or whatever the hell it’s called was a total mystery to me. I – and the others – were being charged with “insubordination”, treason, mutiny, conspiracy, theft, and things I didn’t even understand such as “neglect of fiduciary duties”. (I’d agree about the insubordination, though.)

We spent a month or two at the Massacre Canyon site, amazed and disgusted by the ship in the desert and by the wealth around us, especially in the CMO. We did heavy MEST work: dug sewers, weeded the orchards, scraped paint, painted walls, washed dishes endlessly. I don’t remember much about the Comm Ev though it must have been held. I do remember being woken up several times in the middle of the night and being marched down to the mess hall where we were harangued by lawyers and Messengers, and told over and over again that we were “going to be put in the pokey”. Even then, desperate as I was, I was contemptuous about use of that term and immediately knew it was an LRH-ism, cute and coy and disagreeable. I also knew by then we could not be jailed for things we had not done. In some ways I welcomed the potential for “wog” justice which surely could not be as evil as the Scientology version. We were told we had to write confessions and if we did, we might be let off lightly. I had nothing left to confess after two RPF trips in one year.

The weather got colder and I think the Comm Ev reported no findings, and I believe the Chair was punished and another Comm Ev convened. I never did see a copy of the findings. Meanwhile, we were increasingly an embarrassment at Int so we were shifted one night to Happy Valley. Bess and I immediately volunteered to be cooks, and Pat was our kitchen girl. Everyone else was put onto MEST work although it was increasingly desultory.

Bess and I used to talk about Coober Pedy, an opal mining town in the outback, and somehow that became Petey Cougar, hence the name.

During the nights, the men started melting away. We’d wake up one morning and there’d be one, two, three less for breakfast. I guess they walked up the dirt road to the main road and hitch-hiked out of there. As for me, I didn’t really have a clear idea of where I was except “a few hours out of LA”. I had no money and few clothes with me. My passport was back at PAC. I had no-one to go to in the USA, and no way to get there. I was up shit creek.

Peter Warren got beaten up by David Miscavige. David Mayo’s car brakes were seriously tampered with when he was leaving. John Nelson got heavied several times. Most of us were either gone or too insignificant to bother with.

One of my so-called “co-conspirators” saved me. (I won’t say who, but you know who you are, and I am eternally in your debt.) He somehow managed to negotiate his own release and, with it, mine. One day in late December we were both driven to the Int base. He slipped me $5 as he left the car, along with his brother’s phone number. I waited in the car and got driven back to Happy Valley. But he promised me he was going to shake me loose, and I trusted him. I had no other option. One evening, an SO mail van came up and got me, and drove me to PAC. The driver did not want to wait for me but wanted to take me straight to the airport, but I said I had to call Australia to get a ticket to fly home. And if he didn’t wait, I said, I would go to the first police officer I could find and tell them I had been imprisoned by the Scientologists and how would he like to be responsible for that? So he waited while I called home. It was Christmas Eve in Australia, and I was lucky to get my mother, and she was lucky to get me a ticket before everything shut up tight for the week. I grabbed my suitcase and passport and off we went. On the way, I tore off my disgustingly filthy, worn jeans in the van and hurled them onto the road. I think I might have yelled “Fuck you, Scientology!” out the window. The driver dumped me at LAX at 7pm on the 22nd of December, with $5 in my pocket, a phone number, two suitcases and several boxes.

I went to the Qantas counter and got my ticket. I put my stuff in a locker and called my friend. I didn’t have enough for anything to eat so I just wandered round the airport sitting close to groups of people at departure gates, for safety. I kept expecting Rick Aznaran or some security guy to come charging up shouting “Oh no you don’t!” My earlier fearlessness and recklessness had dissolved into the acute realisation that if my friend didn’t come for me, I would be alone in a deserted airport all night.

My buddy eventually came by quite late, and boy was I glad to see him. My plane didn’t leave until the next day so we went to his brother’s place. In the end, we were both so exhausted that we slept in and I missed the flight. He took me back to meet the next plane and lent me another $60 to cover the excess baggage costs. By this time my nerves were absolutely shredded.

The first time I felt safe was when the plane door shut and the Aussie steward welcomed us aboard. I was on my way home. It was Christmas 1982.

After I escaped in 1982, I was manic and crazy and didn’t know how to deal with my experience. I knew only a few people who had left Scn, and none of them had been to Flag, but I found them and talked until my tongue fell off. There was no other way back then to work through my confusion, grief, shame, horror, blame, sorrow, craziness. Like many others who leave, I was ashamed that we had been taught to think of kind, generous, helpful strangers as “wogs”. My friends and family were patient and gentle with me and offered me shelter and did not judge. I went around in a furious, crazy world till early February 1983, when a miracle happened. On the same day, the government changed, the drought broke, and I started to cry. I wept for weeks, it seems. Eventually I found my way out of it and restarted my life.

In the years since then, I’ve rebuilt my life. The point came when I had been out of Scientology as long as I’d been in it, and now those years seem like a distant nightmare. A lot of the emotion has drained away. I learned a few things. For example, you can’t change what’s true by denying it. I know how to spot – and stand up to – a bully from a thousand paces.

I have kept my Scientology past a secret except to close friends and family. I’ve been out so much longer now than I was in. But since the Xenophon call for an inquiry, my views have changed. I want to make myself known, and I want to be able to help others the way people helped me when I was broken and lost. I want the world to know what Scientology really is.

But I also want to remember, and cherish, the friends I had in the SO, the many people like me who were there to make a difference. That we were taken for an almighty ride makes no difference to our pure intentions.

I wrote this in a song:

Though the memories still wake me in the night,
they’re dimmer with the light
And while it may be slow, it’s not as bad as when I had to go
But trees still stand determined and alive – their roots go very deep
And somewhere down the line I will survive – I’ll dream of rain before I go to sleep

Hearts survive
Dreamers never die
And through the years no tears have reached my eye

Tears like rain, they come to me again
And bring a bloom to everything I see
Tears like rain, wash away the pain
And roll away my sorrows out to sea.

Thank you for reading this.

sallydannce

Gold Meritorious Patron
Wow!

Petey Cougar you have stirred me. Just wow.

Thank you so very much for taking the time to share your story with us.

It is wonderful to have you here on ESMB.

Warmest wishes to you. :)

Carmel

Crusader
Well P, I am very touched by your story, and by you being here and telling it.

For more reasons than one, good on you, and love to you. :)

AngeloV

Gold Meritorious Patron
Wow. That was quite a story and very touching. Thank you for taking the time to write it.

Wonder if we every crossed paths at Flag in 1980. I was a EPF'er at the time and didn't rub shoulders with any of the execs really.

Peace.