What's new

DM and the cult of personality

x-x

Patron with Honors
We had quite a few management changes in the eighties and after the Broeker's got dumped, I retained a healthy skepticism, alert for a possible dupe.

I seemed to be reassured by various events in the 90's, I like the debug of the VM program, a few things.

When I mentioned this in auditing in 99 I got a hell of a shock, the CS got the auditor to check for overts. I thought I was being vigilant for Scientology.

And of course now the COB thing is everywhere. COB this COB that. I can't recall any former executive in Scientology having such a cult of personality.

Sec Checks are important, and they can ask anything in session to check for charge, but as a tool of management it opens to abuse that real criticisms just get lumped with overts and introversion is used to suppress.

Just on another point I wonder if LRH really thought out succession. I would think a panel of senior officers would be best to elect the leader.

To my mind COB has done some good things, and to a certain extent leadership is relative and irrelevant. But in other respects, the allegations of bullying I think are credible, and the diversion into fundraising which is off policy, as well as allegations about his lack of study, the lack of enhancement of staff generally, these things are enough for him to go.

I think his paranoia kicked into overdrive when he revised the SP/PTS materials a few years ago, and this is pulling in current attacks. He needs a correction.

And furthermore the COB is not the head of Scientology, his job is just KSW which is a service role to the side.

Does anyone have any info on when the sec check / cult of personality began?

thetanic

Gold Meritorious Patron

Veda

Sponsor
Even in accounts by Hubbard acolytes, Hubbard comes across as a neurotic coward.

As for Miscavige, his traits mirror Hubbard's, except that Miscavige lacks imagination.

And Miscavige wouldn't have been in a position to depose Pat and Annie Broeker in the late 1980s, if it hadn't been for Hubbard placing him in a position of power in the first place.

Miscavige got the money to Hubbard and kept the subpoena servers away.

After the 1993 IRS settement, fund raising of the type that currently occurs became practical. Miscavige - the head of Hubbard's mind-control cult, with its suggestible flock - naturally abuses it.

Hubbard - in the 1980s - was at the Have part of the Be, Do, Have cycle.

It was time to possess and preserve not to create, thus the trusts ensuring the preservation of Hubbard's name for perpetuity, the buried steel plates, and the monuments (buildings/Orgs).

It's pretty obvious that the counseling tech was not a priority for Hubbard, despite the bewilderment of naive "tech people" as to how that could be: Hubbard was doing something else. The counseling tech was a means to an end, an end frozen in steel and concrete and stamped with "LRH."

Miscavige is the caretaker of the Hubbard shrine. He's one of the few to have seen all of Hubbard's hidden and secret writings, and recorded briefings. He's been exposed to the full Hubbard nuttiness.

And, not surprisingly, he seems to be losing his mind.

Last edited:

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
It's pretty obvious that the counseling tech was not a priority for Hubbard, despite the bewilderment of naive "tech people" as to how that could be: Hubbard was doing something else. The counseling tech was a means to an end, an end frozen in steel and concrete and stamped with "LRH."

:thumbsup:

Paul

Last edited:

x-x

Patron with Honors

A really interesting article.

To some extent DM is like Hitler, now this is doing him a huge injustice and I only mean "to some extent".

People admire Hitler, if only he hadn't started the war he would have left a legacy, he really got Germany going in the '30s. Truth is is was crackers then, committing all sorts of overts, even banned Theosophy.
http://www.stelling.nl/simpos/libetheo.htm
And even worse after the war started and he got onto drugs. He lost the war because he insisted all battle plans go through him and the Brits had cracked the enigma code

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enigma_machine

But I digress. What a great cognition, power is assumed. He is absolutely right, but there is a high toned and a low toned mockery of every truth.

Power is also something that you use, I cognited that on staff. DM sure leads, he has plans and projects, he works people hard, he has big goals, but they are illusions because theta postulates are light and effortless.

x-x

Patron with Honors
Marty's made the same point you have, btw.

Whether you agree with his point of view or not, he's certainly currently the highest-profile of the independent scientologists at the moment, and his blog is quite well written.

I feel I know Marty from reading his stuff and watching a few interviews. He seems like a genuinely nice guy, great sense of humor.

DM's probably a nice guy too, I just want him off lines at this point.

I don't know the score with Carmel, met her briefly I think years ago, she's in a very bad mood because they touched a nerve in her handling, something was restimulated. She apparently doesn't like Marty because he doesn't support her line of total destruction. She'll come out of it one day.

What we are on about surely is not one being is better than another being, or this is the good being and thats the bad being. Or the show is about us all becoming clones of some guy or girl. The thing about Scientology is that it is for the able. But when taught rigidly it can be taken as identification which it actually isn't.

No one should ever proceed in Scientology if they can't see the truth of what they are studying. Whereas in Christianity it is just faith and believe - so lets be culturally aware and not blame Scio for what is the actual cultural norm of the time.

byte301

Crusader
[QUOTEI don't know the score with Carmel, met her briefly I think years ago, she's in a very bad mood because they touched a nerve in her handling, something was restimulated. She apparently doesn't like Marty because he doesn't support her line of total destruction. She'll come out of it one day.[/QUOTE]

Having people try to force you into aborting your baby does tend to put one in a bad mood. And no, I don't think she will "come out of it one day." Nor do I think she should.

And as for Marty...well I'll just point you to the F bomb thread. Nuff said.

thetanic

Gold Meritorious Patron
I support Carmel's choice to choose what she believes in, even when I don't agree with her. A lot of women in particular were forced to make choices that were untenable.

That said, I think Marty's blog has been excellent reading, though I don't always agree with it either.

The only reason Scientology is "for the able" is that's who's "able" to pay. The stuff that works in Scn works just as well on the poor.

Minuet #1 in G

Patron with Honors

This is succinctly put. "The counseling tech was not a priority for Hubbard." Somewhat hard to really accept given all that was written etc. However, all the indications point to this and really it is the only logical conclusion. This is certainly evident more so now.

I think this statement really puts it all into perspective. The counselling tech is there, perhaps even sitting off to the side. It aint the main game tho.

Idle Morgue

Gold Meritorious Patron
We had quite a few management changes in the eighties and after the Broeker's got dumped, I retained a healthy skepticism, alert for a possible dupe.

I seemed to be reassured by various events in the 90's, I like the debug of the VM program, a few things.

When I mentioned this in auditing in 99 I got a hell of a shock, the CS got the auditor to check for overts. I thought I was being vigilant for Scientology.

And of course now the COB thing is everywhere. COB this COB that. I can't recall any former executive in Scientology having such a cult of personality.

Sec Checks are important, and they can ask anything in session to check for charge, but as a tool of management it opens to abuse that real criticisms just get lumped with overts and introversion is used to suppress.

Just on another point I wonder if LRH really thought out succession. I would think a panel of senior officers would be best to elect the leader.

To my mind COB has done some good things, and to a certain extent leadership is relative and irrelevant. But in other respects, the allegations of bullying I think are credible, and the diversion into fundraising which is off policy, as well as allegations about his lack of study, the lack of enhancement of staff generally, these things are enough for him to go.

I think his paranoia kicked into overdrive when he revised the SP/PTS materials a few years ago, and this is pulling in current attacks. He needs a correction.

And furthermore the COB is not the head of Scientology, his job is just KSW which is a service role to the side.

Does anyone have any info on when the sec check / cult of personality began?

Yes, it began right here, with the Commordore!
oldhubb.jpg

He just does not look that OATEE to me!

Here is the leader of the greatest scams in the

21st Century - SCIENTOLOGY - the SCIENCE of knowling how to BE a Cultie, DO Cultish things AND HAVE A CULTISH Personality!

By: L Ron Blubbturd aka Hubbard