What's new

Trigger phrases that STILL freak us out

The Great Zorg

Gold Meritorious Patron
Red Green

The Man Prayer comes from the old Red Green Show. I don't know when or where it was on. A friend turned me on to it via YouTube.(snip)

Reg Green (Steve Smith) is Canadian, as is the series, produced by the CBC. His show aired here for about 15 years and has now been cancelled. The reruns still air on a number of networks. :coolwink:

He played the role of a handyman that used duct tape for everything and had an answer for everything. Funny stuff to watch - especially his goofy solutions to handyman problems around the home. :thumbsup:

Also funny to watch is 'This Hour Has 22 Minutes', still airing and also produced by the CBC. It is a mock news show with various skits, mostly political (mostly Canadian) satire. :wink2:

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
Yep, you guys are awesome- those who posted so many awesome trigger phrases and explained your thoughts- you definitely surpassed my opening post and my hopes for this thread. And, you, those who read and didn't post, I'm glad you took the time to read this thread. :)

The Great Zorg

Gold Meritorious Patron
Yep, you guys are awesome- those who posted so many awesome trigger phrases and explained your thoughts- you definitely surpassed my opening post and my hopes for this thread. And, you, those who read and didn't post, I'm glad you took the time to read this thread. :)

It's been a slice baby! :)

All those goofy memories, I thinks it's actually been cathartic for me: I've began to laugh at myself and the others involved during all those highly clamatic drama incidents, with no earlier similars! :eyeroll:

Good thread Child! :thumbsup:

Royal Prince Xenu

Trust the Psi Corps.
I don't like PTS. I love the word Glee. I never accepted Scn's version of it. Or Open minded or reasonable.

I hate Thursday at 2. It took me years after being off staff (the short time I was on staff at a Mission) to even be able to look at a clock on Thursday. LOL!!!

Dev-T is an OK word. It really communicates when someone is putting crap all over your plate.

However, I do my best NOT to use Scn words. Sometimes it's the easiest choice, but I really don't like to. And on Saturday nights when we're out with the ex's now Ron Orgers, I hear Scn words all night long. :melodramatic: "He's PTS", etc, etc, etc. It drives me nuts.

Thankfully, hubby gets that I don't like the words and tries not to use them. And only on occasion when talking to GT on the phone, when it's the most fitting word in the conversation, we'll use a Scn word. But we always apologize for doing so. LOL!!!

Good thread, Fluff!

Although I never use it outside of SCN discussions, when I was on staff, I was so tempted to have a red-ink rubber stamp made up "DEV-T" just so that I could stamp useless memos and send them back.

PC: metal and plastic box that sits on your desk wasting valuable space and energy without actually producing anything.
PTS1200: The mainframe down stairs to which the abovementioned PC is connected. It also wastes valuable space and energy without actually producing anything.

Cringworthies:
O'Dub
Cram
"Honest men have rights too!"
"Saving the Planet"
KSW
Wog
Engram
Libs
SP
Declare

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
So many of these phrases stay with us. I find myself wanting to mutter "Dev T" (as mentioned in RPX's post) and "outpoint" and all sorts of things.

I think the Scn terms stick due to a number of things. Indoctrination, yes, for sure. But also, you know, don't hate me for sayin' this, but some of 'em are pretty damn descriptive. I'm not saying there aren't pitfalls in using them- there certainly ARE- but, yeah, they tend to be kind of descriptive.

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
Oooh! How about "CI" for counter intention? The way it rolls so trippingly off the tongues of some CofS members...it's almost...er...uh....

scroll down

scroll down

scroll down

scroll down

scroll down

GLIB!!!
(Fluffy ducking and running for cover)

Cherished

Silver Meritorious Patron
I was never a Scn, but I even have a few words that trigger responses in me!

2D - If just find this expression so impersonal and bland. It conveys none of the nuances of boyfriend, lover, husband, partner, spouse... and so on.

The others are buttons from reading too much of them on certain natter boards:

sooth - puhlease. How archaic!

insouciant - pass me the razorblades.

natter boards - lol.

The Great Zorg

Gold Meritorious Patron
Dev-T

Fucking Dev-T is Dev-T and loosening Dev-T's grip on my mind is Dev-T. Grrrrrrrrrrr. :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Somebody, ANYBODY, PLEASE come up with a word that replaces this phrase! :grouch: