What's new

Letters to Senators, MP's and Media. March 2010

Carmel

Crusader
As many of you are aware, things are looking up for a Senate Inquiry into the Church Scientology in Australia.

Senator Xenophon and Rohen Wenn his advisor, are determined to do whatever they have to, to prevent the "Church" from continuing to harm as it has been in the past. They have rallied support from the Greens Party and the National Party (whose Senators are being quite vocal now), as well as support from the main media in the country.

Pretty well all the Senators are now aware of the abuses within the "Church" and there is no argument on that issue. There is still debate though, on the best way to tackle it.

As we all know, it takes time after leaving, to front up to authorities about what went on. But that's beside the point! We as exes aren't wanting retribution after the fact, we are wanting the crimes and abuses to be prevented. The question is, what is the govt doing in regard to prevention?

At this time, it would help if the exes who *know*, sent letters and emails to the MP's and to the media (your letters to the MP's can remain confidential). Our letters have had a huge impact so far (the Senators we met with the other day, spoke of the impact all the letters from former Scios have had on them). Another "impact" would come in handy now. :whistling:

The media and many MP's are supporting this endeavour, but they can do a better job of it and it will happen faster, if and when they get the info from the horses mouth.

Needless to say, I'm trying to do a sell job here. :hide: If you're up to it, and/or if ya have a point to make that maybe some of these guys don't seem to get or don't know about, then an email their way from exes (including those overseas) would be a good thing. :)

Below is a letter I've sent to Senators in the Liberal and Labour Parties, Prime Minister Rudd, and Tony Abbot the Leader of the Opposition. I've also sent other letters to media contacts and those MP's on side, but have included this letter too, for info.

If you want to do the same, then here's the site with all their contacts:
http://www.aph.gov.au/

I'll leave it with ya.

"My name is Carmel Underwood. I wrote one of the letters that Senator Xenophon tabled back in November. I was the Executive Director of the Church of Scientology in Sydney for three years (in the early nineties), I held other senior positions within the Organisation (over two decades), and I was one of a number of *former* Scientologists who met with some of the Senators in Canberra on Thursday March 18th.

I’m not going to reiterate what I’ve already stated about the crimes and abuses within the Church of Scientology, nor what has been stated here in Australia and all over the world by hundreds of others. Although, in light of some of the reasons given for not having an Inquiry into the behaviour of the Church of Scientology (in the Senate on Thursday, March 18th), I do want to shed some light on some relevant issues.

-Since I started waking up to what motivated the Organisation (getting on for two years ago now) and to the fact that what I was subjected to was the rule, as opposed to the exception, I have helped many other Scientologists wake up to the same thing. I know or know of over 500 people in Australia who decided, in the twelve month period prior to September last year, to “get out”. Sadly though, only about 30 of those people had made the fact known to the Organisation, for fear of consequences. Back in September last year, only 6 of those 30 people (including my husband and I) were prepared to “go public” with what we knew.

-The vast majority who want nothing more to do with the Organisation, fear for their livelihood, their personal safety, and/or fear the loss of familial relationships, so they don’t dare let on to the Organisation or their friends where they are at on it, let alone “go public” against it. So much is at stake.

-I know several young people who were brought up in the “Sea Organisation”. They worked for the Sea Org as children, grew up a bit and left. Where are they now? I’ve had some of them cry on my shoulder about much, but they won’t dare speak out about the abuse they received. Their parents are still in the Sea Org and, while they may be heartbroken that their parents have discarded them and put Scientology before them, they still live in hope of love and support from their parents, so *won’t* speak out against Scientology.

-At the time we “left”, back in early ’98, I went through six months of disciplinary actions due to disagreements I had with management and the general modus operandi of the Organisation. With the mindset we had at the time, we couldn’t face being expelled. That would have meant losing all our employees, losing all our friends (through disconnection), and at that time the thought of our kids in the future having to choose between us and Scientology was too much to bear. We did all in our power to “get out” without being expelled, and we did so, but it cost us tens of thousands of dollars for “security checking”, a type of interrogation, and months of our time under “disciplinary” action. We were forced/coerced to pay for the “justice” put upon us (sounds bizarre, but the threat of consequences, if we didn’t, was worse). This cost me serious psychological damage for 10 years. I didn’t get to address or deal with this damage until nearly two years ago when I discovered other former Scientologists on the net and realised that what happened to me was not the exception but the rule within the Church of Scientology, and that I wasn’t such a bad person or failure after all.

-When we distanced ourselves from the Organisation back in ’98, we also moved out of Sydney. While living in Sydney there were numerous times when we had people from the Organisation arrive unannounced at our door wanting money or insisting that we go in to the Premises in Glebe. Many times, this was after midnight. After we moved and up until September 2008, we still had uninvited “Church” officials arrive at our door trying to “recover” us or get money from us, although it was far less frequently. We also had numerous phone calls from numerous people. At certain periods (maybe 9 times a year, sometimes for a couple of weeks), we’d get phone calls every 15 mins from different people within the Organisation. The phone calls kept coming because we didn’t “confirm” that we would be attending a particular function or because we didn’t buy what “every Scientologist needed to purchase”. We were harassed continually by the Organisation, right up until the point that we publicly avowed our disagreement with the Church of Scientology. That was a huge step for us, and many of our friends disconnected from us at this point (we knew that they would). Friends of my sons, who they grew up with, also disconnected from them because they were our children.

-In mid-December ’09, after Senator Xenophon had tabled our letters in Parliament and I had continued to be vocal about my stance on the Church, we had an incident happen at home. One of our dogs was poisoned. We were with her when she started to convulse and got her straight to the vet. We nearly lost her while we were at the vet’s and the vet told us that she nearly lost her during the operation. The vet found a large amount of snail pellets in her stomach. That night, we found a newly open packet of snail pellets in the cupboard directly under our kitchen sink.

We don’t buy nor use snail pellets because of the dogs. If we did, we’d not keep snail pellets under our kitchen sink. They’d be with the other poisons on a shelf in the shed. We live on a rural property and prior to this incident we didn’t close our doors often, let alone lock them. We searched our property high and low for any remains of snail pellets but found nothing. The local police tested the box of snail pellets (newly arrived under our sink) for DNA and finger prints. There was nothing. They said that the box had clearly been wiped clean because there should be at least something on it from the shop where it came from. Our dog survived, but she only did because we got her straight to the vet as soon as she showed signs of being affected. If we hadn’t done that, we would have had a dead dog and a box of snail pellets as a message. A couple of days prior to the poisoning, I had someone follow me to Gosford hospital where I stayed for 20 mins or so, then follow me again from Gosford hospital to Erina.

We couldn’t help but put two and two together. A potential burglar may well poison dogs on a property, but would they put a newly opened box of snail pellets under the sink? We had heard of other Scientology critics being followed and having their pets poisoned. Per reports, it has happened a lot. We didn’t think though, that it would happen in Australia. Our local police were somewhat aghast by the circumstances and made a “case” of the incident, but it hit a dead end. The evidence was “circumstantial”, as was evidence relating to other unusual incidents happening to other Australian critics who spoke out against the Church of Scientology.

-I can’t give you all the details here and now, but we believe without a doubt that we have been “fair gamed” by the Church of Scientology (“fair gaming” of critics is covered in Scientology published policy). After this episode, two family members said “no more”. Our dogs are part of our family, so we were rocked by what happened. It’s also unnerving to have someone in a car sitting outside our property and/or following us. This has caused major conflict on the home front and would be enough for many to close the book on it. Many who have been “fair gamed” do close the door, and many *won’t* act at all for fear of being “fair gamed”. Going to the authorities isn’t something that Scientologists generally do. If they are lucky they get out of the Organisation, and they are aware that, if they don’t want their lives completely wrecked, they’re best to shut up and go into hiding.

As you are well aware, Senator Xenophon is determined to see this matter through. For the record, so are we who have spoken out publicly against the Church of Scientology. We have already done so at huge personal expense and have done so for a reason. As well as Senator Xenophon, we too are determined to stay with this issue until it is resolved.

Last year, we approached every “authority” known to man and God in this country, to look at this situation and help us prevent abuses from happening in the future. Hundreds of letters and appeals fell on deaf ears. The police weren’t interested - it was “hearsay” or past the statute of limitations. Consumer affairs weren’t interested. We hit a dead end. The Dept of Fair Trading wasn’t interested because staff members were “volunteers”. What would be the point in going to the Tax Dept, when the Church of Scientology has already been granted tax free status? Etc, etc, etc. Senator Xenophon listened, has taken up this issue, and we are thankful. Yet we are somewhat dumbfounded, that he was the only one who did.

My interest and the interests of those who speak out is NOT about what was done to us! Our interest is in the prevention of the same thing being done to others in the future and the prevention of particular harm, going on today, at the hands of the CofS.

In this country, we have rules and agreements that prevent someone who is not an electrician changing a light bulb on a building site. Yet, we have no rules or agreements preventing incarceration, slave labour, coerced abortions, separation of families, suicides, interrogation, financial ruin, sometimes death, and damaging/ lasting psychological damage - if and when it’s done by an Organisation which calls itself a “Church”.

While recourse for wrongs of the past would be a good thing, this is not a solution to the matter at hand and is NOT the issue. The issue is about preventing the same wrongs in the future. Measures are continually being put in place in the workplace in EVERY State in this country to avoid *potential* harm and some would argue that these measures are over the top. Yet when it comes to measures being put in place to prevent the Church of Scientology from continuing to harm as it actually has and *does*, it’s an up hill climb to get any measures or legislation put in place to prevent the crimes and abuses rampant within the Church of Scientology, which are occurring every bloody day!

For every *former* Scientologist, who somehow escapes from the trap and who then speaks out about things which happened in the past, there are a hundred who remain silent. Meanwhile though, there are thousands who don’t get to escape, who are *still* Scientologists, and who are still being financially, psychologically, and sometimes physically abused, AS WE SPEAK.

This issue is not about retribution or justice. It’s about preventing the harm in the first place. We have hundreds of laws in this country preventing harm which is far less harmful than the harm perpetrated by the Church of Scientology. We have laws protecting just about every sector of society. Why not this one?

Thanks to all for attention on this matter. It’s one that I won’t, and many won’t, just let go away or be swept under the carpet. Here’s hoping there’ll be a resolution sooner rather than later, and that the resolution, which is inevitable, won’t be a political nightmare for you folk.

Godspeed to all,

Carmel Underwood
"

Last edited:

Michel

Patron with Honors
I AM WITH YOU!

Great job Carmel,

I am going to send my letter to the Senators, MP's and Media.:thumbsup:

Michel.

Cherished

Silver Meritorious Patron
Reminder:

MALE:
[email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]

FEMALE:
[email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]

1. Leader of the Opposition, Tony Abbott - [email protected]
    Tel: (02) 6277 4022
    Fax: (02) 6277 8562
  2. Prime Minister, Kevin Rudd (online form) - Email your Prime Minister | Prime Minister of Australia
    Tel: (02) 6277 7700
    Fax: (02) 6273 4100

KnightVision

Gold Meritorious Patron
Excellent letter and action on your part Carmel!

I will send them letters too!

Specifically, disconnection-harassment-financial abuse-fair game are the four main topics I intend to refer to.

Let the walls fall!:thumbsup:

Osiris

Patron with Honors
A Great Letter, Carmel

Very Well Said,

& Thank you, :happydance:

It encompassed my thoughts & Experiences with the Church of Scientology too,

The Evil Injustices committed by the Church must be made to Stop.

I will be writing more letters too.....

Cheers :)

Telepathetic

Gold Meritorious Patron
Great letter Carmel.

Would it help if we sent an email/letter to Parliament even though we are not Australians? Do I then pick a few of those email addresses posted below or send them to everyone listed? Sorry I'm a bit stupid about these things.

TP

The Great Zorg

Gold Meritorious Patron
Would it help if we sent an email/letter to Parliament even though we are not Australians? Do I then pick a few of those email addresses posted below or send them to everyone listed? Sorry I'm a bit stupid about these things.TP

Telepathic beat me too it.

How about a suggested format for non-Aussies? I'm from the Great White North, so we're all Commonwealth nations... if that matters.

mate

Patron Meritorious
Hi guys,
You are all doing a fantastic job. More and more of the Senators are gaining a real appreciation of the extent of human rights abuses of the CofS. This is very important, so please continue.

However, there is another area that we also need to address. This is that many of the Senators believe that the appropriate government agencies including the police should be handling the various abuses, that it is not really the subject for a Senate Inquiry.

So what is needed, in addition to the successful action of informing the Senators of the abuses committed, is reports of instances of intimidation such as stalking, poisoning and killing of pets, interference and damage to cars, and especially the use of a number of scientologists lying as witnesses, when one has lodged a complaint with the police or taking the CofS to court. I'm sure you get the idea.

Again, thank you for your tremendous support.

Regards, David.

mate

Patron Meritorious
Hi guys,
There is one further point, I should have made, and this is to include instances where you were coerced by your senior, or the MAA/ethics officer, or OSA to make a false report to the police or other government agencies.

Thanks, David.

Terril park

Sponsor
Hi Carmel,
You may also wish to blow the religious cloaking into the water.
Let the senator know of the "secret war" against Ron's Orgs as posted by
Marty on his blog. I and others can give back up info on that.

COS as protector of religious freedom? The worlds biggest lie.

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP

"...........we have rules and agreements that prevent someone who is not an electrician changing a light bulb on a building site. Yet, we have no rules or agreements preventing incarceration, slave labour, coerced abortions, separation of families, suicides, interrogation, financial ruin, sometimes death, and damaging/ lasting psychological damage - if and when it’s done by an Organisation which calls itself a “Church”.

Carmel, I love your letter, especially the paragraph I quoted. It shows the absurdity of the government having back-off on handling these issues.
You've got my utmost admiration for all you've done here. I'm going to work on my own letter in the morning.

Miss Pert

I sent a letter yesterday to Xenophons assistant, I just sent it on to all email addresses listed on Cherished post.

Michel

Patron with Honors
E-mails to Autralian Senators - answers!

Yesterday, i sent 74 emails to the Senators of Autralia. Here are the answers i just received.

Dear Michel

Thank you for contacting me about Senator Nick Xenophon’s calls for a Senate inquiry into Scientology and its tax exempt status, which the Australian Greens will be supporting.

Senator Brown attended a press conference about Scientology on 23 November 2009 and to read more, please follow the attached link:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/11/23/2750746.htm.

Kind regards

Scott Ludlam

23 March 2010

Senator Scott Ludlam
8 Cantonment Street

Fremantle 6160

Phone (08) 9335 7477
Fax: (08) 9335 7499
Local call (WA country callers): 1300 733 450

www.scottludlam.org.au

Sign-up to GreensMPs to receive updates and alerts enabling you to take action on important issues

23 March 2010

Dear Michel

On behalf of Senator Adams, I thank you for your email. It will be brought to her attention shortly.

Thank you for the time you have taken to express your views.

Yours sincerely

JARROD LOMAS

Office of Senator Judith Adams
Deputy Opposition Whip in the Senate

Liberal Senator for Western Australia

Electorate Office

48 Ventnor Avenue, WEST PERTH WA 6005
PO Box 930, West Perth WA 6872
Ph: (08) 9481 0349 | Fax: (08) 9321 4876

Canberra Office
Suite SG-98, Parliament House, CANBERRA ACT 2600
Ph: (02) 6277 3646 | Fax: (02) 6277 5774

Dear Michel,

Thank you for contacting the Office of Senator Fiona Nash, Nationals Senator for NSW. I appreciate you taking the time to write to the Senator on this serious issue. I will be sure to raise your concerns with her.

Yours sincerely

Kaliegh Blake

Dear Michel,

Thank you for your detailed email about your own experiences with Scientology. We believe that any allegations of illegality, abuse, or fraud ,should be handled through the legal system , and not through political enquiries

Senator Claire Moore
Labor Senator for Queensland
P: 07 3252 7101 ║ F: 07 3252 8957 ║
E: [email protected]
www.clairemoore.net

Hi Michel

Thank you for your e-mail.

The Green Senators voted in support of Senator Xenophon’s motion.

For your information I have attached a Hansard extract of Senator Brown’s speech insupport of the motion.

Regards

John Dodd

Office of Senator Bob Brown

Dear Michel,

Thank you for your email to the Leader of the Opposition, the Hon Tony Abbott MP.

Your views are being brought to Mr Abbott’s attention.

It is vital that the Coalition knows what people are thinking so that we can represent the interests of all Australians, and present people with a credible and inspiring alternative at the next election.

Sadly, the Rudd Government has broken many of the promises they made to the Australian people in 2007 and this Prime Minister is increasingly looking like he is all talk and no action.

You can be assured that in this election year, the Coalition will have a practical, direct and budgeted plan for Australia’s future.

If you would like to receive regular updates from my office, please sign up to our e-news updates by visiting www.tonyabbott.com.au/. For more detailed policy information please go to www.liberal.org.au/.

Thank you again for taking the time to pass on your thoughts.

On behalf of Tony Abbott MHR

Last edited:

Carmel

Crusader
Yesterday, i sent 74 emails to the Senators of Autralia. Here are the answers i just received.
<snip>
Bloody hell, my nose is really outta joint now, I haven't even received one response yet! :grouch: (Just joshin, I suppose I will in time)

Good on ya, Michel - It's not really just about the Senators doing the right thing....When it comes to some of them it's about being seen to be doing the right thing, so all the letters make a difference. :)

Carmel

Crusader
Hi guys,
You are all doing a fantastic job. More and more of the Senators are gaining a real appreciation of the extent of human rights abuses of the CofS. This is very important, so please continue.

However, there is another area that we also need to address. This is that many of the Senators believe that the appropriate government agencies including the police should be handling the various abuses, that it is not really the subject for a Senate Inquiry.

So what is needed, in addition to the successful action of informing the Senators of the abuses committed, is reports of instances of intimidation such as stalking, poisoning and killing of pets, interference and damage to cars, and especially the use of a number of scientologists lying as witnesses, when one has lodged a complaint with the police or taking the CofS to court. I'm sure you get the idea.

Again, thank you for your tremendous support.

Regards, David.
Yeah, David. :)

It's well past the point now of whether or not the CofS needs to be dealt with......It's about *how* it needs to be dealt with.

We're also dealing with Politics here, but fortunately we have many who know how to play *that* game, on our side. :)

Petey C

Good on you Carmel. I'll be sending my emails and letters too. I also dug through my old SO stuff and have found some stuff (like W2 forms [like an annual payment summary], a telex from WDC, some recruitment stuff, an HCOB or two, Orders of the Day from the FB and so forth -- all crap) and will save that for whoever is interested.
Petey