What's new

Homosexuality and Scientology

Operating DB

Truman Show Dropout
Since creating this group I have heard from a number of ex scientologist gays that hid their sexuality in fear of the consequences and one that was told to disconnect from her sister as she was a lesbian. I have encouraged them to write down their stories and share them to help the cause.

I dare say most of us Aussies and indeed many people around the globe have seen how massive the gay community in Sydney is (ie Sydney Mardi Gras) and one thing i can say is we all stick together when it come to gay rights.

A thought occurred to me about gay pride parades, many of which I've attended. How about an anonymous float protesting the cult at the upcoming numerous gay pride parades in June in many cities across the globe. Anonymous loves a party and they can protest while partying. First do a raid on the local org in whatever city and then join the parade! There's an added benefit of getting lost in such a huge crowd and avoiding OSA stalking.

On a different topic one of my pcs and friend was declared SP in 1983 for having a boyfriend and engaging in "out-ethics sexual behavior". From what I've read in several later dated postings the cult's homophobia has only gotten worse since I left in 1985. The cult just loves to make enemies any way it can.

Hey Guys,

I sent a letter to the Lesbian & Gay Anti-Violence Project which is part of ACON (Aids Council of New South Wales, which has moved from soley focusing of aids prevention and education to being the GLBT communities major support group) telling them about my story and also giving them a link to my facebook group and some other videos i thought they might be interested in on the subject. I got this reply today from Nancy (I deleted her last name and contact details to assure her privacy):thumbsup:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Allan,

Thank you for your email.

I read your story, your experience with Scientology is very frightening and disturbing, I am pleased to hear that you got out and I would like to express my empathy and admiration for your bravery in speaking up. Discrimination on the grounds of sexuality is a horrible and all too common experience for the GLBT community, and the extent of the institutionalised discrimination and abuse that you experienced within Scientology is horrifying.

I've also looked at the facebook group and can see that this issue is of significant concern to a large number of people. I congratulate you on the work you are doing to link people up - peer support is hugely important to recovery and I'm sure your work is appreciated by many.

I've since had a number of internal discussions regarding the role the Lesbian and Gay Anti-Violence Project (AVP) could take to further your cause.

ACON (of which the AVP is a part) regularly monitors upcoming government enquiries and makes submissions on behalf of the GLBT community where relevant and appropriate. We would certainly be willing to look at making a submission should Nick Xenophon be successful in his quest to make this happen. When appropriate, submissions are developed in consultation with community members and should an enquiry take place we would consider how best to engage with people with first-hand experience of homophobic abuse from within the Church of Scientology.

We will keep this issue on our radar and should there be opportunities to provide commentary to decision makers we will certainly consider the concerns you have raised (and similar concerns raised by other ex Scientologists).

Once again, thank you for bringing this issue to my attention.

Regards,

Nancy
Project Coordinator
Lesbian & Gay Anti-Violence Project (AVP), ACON
Building our community's health and wellbeing for 25 years (1985 - 2010)
Winner of 2009 Australian Human Rights Award (Community Organisation)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I replied to her encouraging her group and ACON in general to write to all our pollies and encourage them to hold a senate enquiry. I group like ACON getting behind a cause has great impact on the government. I have been overwhelmed by the support for this drive and i hope we can keep the energy up and get some people on the street before too long.. Will keep you all posted on my progress..

A thought occurred to me about gay pride parades, many of which I've attended. How about an anonymous float protesting the cult at the upcoming numerous gay pride parades in June in many cities across the globe. Anonymous loves a party and they can protest while partying. First do a raid on the local org in whatever city and then join the parade! There's an added benefit of getting lost in such a huge crowd and avoiding OSA stalking.

On a different topic one of my pcs and friend was declared SP in 1983 for having a boyfriend and engaging in "out-ethics sexual behavior". From what I've read in several later dated postings the cult's homophobia has only gotten worse since I left in 1985. The cult just loves to make enemies any way it can.

AWSOME IDEA!!!!

Unfortunatly to my knowledge Sydney only has mardi gras and does not have a march for Pride which is the event held around the world in June. I will however have a chat with some of the anon guys in the other states and the relevant pride committies and investiage if this is possible. If we do end up getting approval and anon in the parade maybe this would be a good opportunity to test the waters in Sydney for a "day of action"

Also are you still in contact with this friend. If so it would be really great to see if she would be interested in writing her story so i can pass it onto ACON and the other relevant agencies. It doesnt matter if she is an Aussie or not any examples of Discrimination of the GLBT community will be a great help

Operating DB

Truman Show Dropout
AWSOME IDEA!!!!

Unfortunatly to my knowledge Sydney only has mardi gras and does not have a march for Pride which is the event held around the world in June. I will however have a chat with some of the anon guys in the other states and the relevant pride committies and investiage if this is possible. If we do end up getting approval and anon in the parade maybe this would be a good opportunity to test the waters in Sydney for a "day of action"

Also are you still in contact with this friend. If so it would be really great to see if she would be interested in writing her story so i can pass it onto ACON and the other relevant agencies. It doesnt matter if she is an Aussie or not any examples of Discrimination of the GLBT community will be a great help

What? Sydney doesn't have a gay pride parade in June??? Is it because it's winter then? Does it snow at that time of year? There's always 2011 Mardi Gras in Sydney.

Thanks for taking the initiative in spreading the idea of marching in gay parades to Anon. From what I gather there are many gay Anons. This would be a great way to spread the word of the destructiveness of the cult not just against gays but everyone.

My gay friend was a guy and this was in Michigan. Unfortunately he and his lover both died from AIDs in the late 80s. The only other gay people I know of are the few that post on here.

Outethicsofficer

Silver Meritorious Patron
It's great to see this thread running along nicely, great suggestions from everyone here, if anyone is willing to assist on some points of coordination we'd be damned please for the help (trolls need not apply), PM either myself or Iamnotaffraidanymore. Either that or just go with the flow as some have done and get the word out there, we are looking for 'feet on the street' either at Anon protests or at own organized parades, whatever. This is no one persons gig it started out as an idea from my nephew.

Cheers
James

Anonycat

Crusader
Thanks so much Anony... The group is not just for the GLBT community either... Their supporters and anyone basically that belives this needs to be corrected should join the group..

LOL some are alt/sex, I guess you could say ... ever heard of a lesbian and vegan burlesque club? My friend strips at one. I know all kinds of adventurous people, it seems. Um, no never seen her show!

Yes, I am simply a hetro supporter of human rights, IANAA :)

minnie

Patron with Honors
Clover Moore would be of great assistance too I am sure.

http://www.clovermoore.com/main/?id=6

AWSOME IDEA!!!!

Anonycat

Crusader
Hey Guys,

I sent a letter to the Lesbian & Gay Anti-Violence Project which is part of ACON (Aids Council of New South Wales, which has moved from soley focusing of aids prevention and education to being the GLBT communities major support group) telling them about my story and also giving them a link to my facebook group and some other videos i thought they might be interested in on the subject. I got this reply today from Nancy (I deleted her last name and contact details to assure her privacy):thumbsup:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Allan,

Thank you for your email.

I read your story, your experience with Scientology is very frightening and disturbing, I am pleased to hear that you got out and I would like to express my empathy and admiration for your bravery in speaking up. Discrimination on the grounds of sexuality is a horrible and all too common experience for the GLBT community, and the extent of the institutionalised discrimination and abuse that you experienced within Scientology is horrifying.

I've also looked at the facebook group and can see that this issue is of significant concern to a large number of people. I congratulate you on the work you are doing to link people up - peer support is hugely important to recovery and I'm sure your work is appreciated by many.

I've since had a number of internal discussions regarding the role the Lesbian and Gay Anti-Violence Project (AVP) could take to further your cause.

ACON (of which the AVP is a part) regularly monitors upcoming government enquiries and makes submissions on behalf of the GLBT community where relevant and appropriate. We would certainly be willing to look at making a submission should Nick Xenophon be successful in his quest to make this happen. When appropriate, submissions are developed in consultation with community members and should an enquiry take place we would consider how best to engage with people with first-hand experience of homophobic abuse from within the Church of Scientology.

We will keep this issue on our radar and should there be opportunities to provide commentary to decision makers we will certainly consider the concerns you have raised (and similar concerns raised by other ex Scientologists).

Once again, thank you for bringing this issue to my attention.

Regards,

Nancy
Project Coordinator
Lesbian & Gay Anti-Violence Project (AVP), ACON
Building our community's health and wellbeing for 25 years (1985 - 2010)
Winner of 2009 Australian Human Rights Award (Community Organisation)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I replied to her encouraging her group and ACON in general to write to all our pollies and encourage them to hold a senate enquiry. I group like ACON getting behind a cause has great impact on the government. I have been overwhelmed by the support for this drive and i hope we can keep the energy up and get some people on the street before too long.. Will keep you all posted on my progress..

Awesome.

Clover Moore would be of great assistance too I am sure.

http://www.clovermoore.com/main/?id=6

I sent an email to Clover Moore last week. She is currently away on holidays for another 3 weeks and her receptionist informed me that clover personally reads and replies to all emails sent to her. Below is the email that i sent her....

Dear Clover Moore MP

I write to you today to request that you get behind a very important cause for Gay rights and discrimination. I am an ex member of the "Church" of Scientology and a homosexual myself. When the "Church" found out about this I was given a status of "Non-existence" which meant that no member of the church (except for my designated handlers) could look or speak to me as they believe that Homosexuality is a contagious disease. I was victimized and abused by this "Church" for a period of about 2 months including being connected to an E-metre (what Scientology claim to be a religious artefact, but is basically a very primitive form of a lie detector) and drilled for up to 8hrs at a time for weeks on end, before I finally escaped in the middle of the night.

In 1950 L. Ron Hubbard (LRH) published the book that would lead to his creating the religion known today as Scientology. This book was called Dianetics: The Modern Science of Mental Health. Since that time it has never gone out of print. The book has sold over 17 million copies worldwide. In this book, LRH makes it clear that he views homosexuality as an illness or sexual perversion.

"The sexual pervert (and by this term Dianetics, to be brief, includes any and all forms of deviation in dynamic two such as homosexuality, lesbianism, sexual sadism, ect) is actually quite ill physically."

His answer to the problem was reviled to the public in his book Science of Survival: Prediction of Human Behaviour where he is quoted as saying;

"Such people should be taken from the society as rapidly as possible and uniformly institutionalized; for here is the level of contagion of immorality, and the destruction of ethics... No social order which desires to survive dares overlook its stratum 1.1s. No social order will survive which does not remove these people from its midst,"

LRH's son was in fact a homosexual himself and committed suicide as a result of his fathers opinions on the subject. You can view a brief video about this here;

The Tragedy of L Ron Hubbard's Gay Son's Suicide

You can read my whole story here;

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?t=17192

I would also like to invite you to view a face book group that I have created called "GLBT strike out against Scientology". Here you can watch a few other movies regarding gay scientologists including other gay ex members telling their stories.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=112320742113591&ref=ts.

Senator Nick Xenophon has called on the Government to launch a Senate Enquiry into Scientology and their many human rights abuses
There are many groups that this "church" has target and committed hate crimes against. There are a group of ex scientologists that are hoping to help organise group protests from the Gay community and we would like your support in this. We of course would encourage you to look into this matter and do all the research that you need to make an educated decision. Another site that I recommend is the Ex Scientologist message board this is a forum site dedicated for ex scientologists to share their stories about their experiences good and bad. This can be a great website to learn what this Church is really about.

http://www.forum.exscn.net/index.php

Senator Nick Xenophon has called on the Government to launch a Senate Enquiry into Scientology and its many human rights abuses. He is quoted as saying "Ultimately, this is not about religious freedom. In Australia there are no limits on what you can believe. But there are limits on how you can behave. It is called the law, and no one is above it." I ask you to help get behind this cause and bring to justice this organisation that destroys lives and abuses human rights and particularly those of Homosexuals, which I know is a subject of great passion for yourself and you, have done a lot of amazing things for our community already.

I would like to formally request an opportunity to meet with you and discuss these concerns at your convenience. You can reach me during business hours on (number removed) and on this email or you can contact me outside of business hours on (email removed).

I would like to thank you in advance for looking into this subject as I appreciate how busy you are and hope to hear from you soon.

Kind Regards

Allan Averay - Jones

Last edited:

minnie

Patron with Honors
Excellent letter! :clap:

I will PM you with another influential activist's email address etc.

Also for free legal advice:
http://www.iclc.org.au/front_page.html

and here's their FB group:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Inner-City-Legal-Centre/184811954082?ref=ts

I sent an email to Clover Moore last week. She is currently away on holidays for another 3 weeks and her receptionist informed me that clover personally reads and replies to all emails sent to her. Below is the email that i sent her....

Dear Clover Moore MP

I write to you today to request that you get behind a very important cause for Gay rights and discrimination. I am an ex member of the "Church" of Scientology and a homosexual myself. When the "Church" found out about this I was given a status of "Non-existence" which meant that no member of the church (except for my designated handlers) could look or speak to me as they believe that Homosexuality is a contagious disease. I was victimized and abused by this "Church" for a period of about 2 months including being connected to an E-metre (what Scientology claim to be a religious artefact, but is basically a very primitive form of a lie detector) and drilled for up to 8hrs at a time for weeks on end, before I finally escaped in the middle of the night.

In 1950 L. Ron Hubbard (LRH) published the book that would lead to his creating the religion known today as Scientology. This book was called Dianetics: The Modern Science of Mental Health. Since that time it has never gone out of print. The book has sold over 17 million copies worldwide. In this book, LRH makes it clear that he views homosexuality as an illness or sexual perversion.

"The sexual pervert (and by this term Dianetics, to be brief, includes any and all forms of deviation in dynamic two such as homosexuality, lesbianism, sexual sadism, ect) is actually quite ill physically."

His answer to the problem was reviled to the public in his book Science of Survival: Prediction of Human Behaviour where he is quoted as saying;

"Such people should be taken from the society as rapidly as possible and uniformly institutionalized; for here is the level of contagion of immorality, and the destruction of ethics... No social order which desires to survive dares overlook its stratum 1.1s. No social order will survive which does not remove these people from its midst,"

LRH's son was in fact a homosexual himself and committed suicide as a result of his fathers opinions on the subject. You can view a brief video about this here;

The Tragedy of L Ron Hubbard's Gay Son's Suicide

You can read my whole story here;

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?t=17192

I would also like to invite you to view a face book group that I have created called "GLBT strike out against Scientology". Here you can watch a few other movies regarding gay scientologists including other gay ex members telling their stories.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=112320742113591&ref=ts.

Senator Nick Xenophon has called on the Government to launch a Senate Enquiry into Scientology and their many human rights abuses
There are many groups that this "church" has target and committed hate crimes against. There are a group of ex scientologists that are hoping to help organise group protests from the Gay community and we would like your support in this. We of course would encourage you to look into this matter and do all the research that you need to make an educated decision. Another site that I recommend is the Ex Scientologist message board this is a forum site dedicated for ex scientologists to share their stories about their experiences good and bad. This can be a great website to learn what this Church is really about.

http://www.forum.exscn.net/index.php

Senator Nick Xenophon has called on the Government to launch a Senate Enquiry into Scientology and its many human rights abuses. He is quoted as saying "Ultimately, this is not about religious freedom. In Australia there are no limits on what you can believe. But there are limits on how you can behave. It is called the law, and no one is above it." I ask you to help get behind this cause and bring to justice this organisation that destroys lives and abuses human rights and particularly those of Homosexuals, which I know is a subject of great passion for yourself and you, have done a lot of amazing things for our community already.

I would like to formally request an opportunity to meet with you and discuss these concerns at your convenience. You can reach me during business hours on (number removed) and on this email or you can contact me outside of business hours on (email removed).

I would like to thank you in advance for looking into this subject as I appreciate how busy you are and hope to hear from you soon.

Kind Regards

Allan Averay - Jones

Last edited:

Outethicsofficer

Silver Meritorious Patron
Bump

Lesbians,Gays, Bi and Transsexuals facebook has now over 600 members this in about 12 days, also another group has linked to the page "Scientology-Sucks". This page has over a 1000 members.

I found a report on that link to recruitment of kids:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Scien...f=mf#!/topic.php?uid=119380541814&topic=11607 This lady is funny...."don't do cults...cults are bad...ok!"

Check it out,
James

Last edited:
Hey guys,

Just a bit of an update for you guys, I recieved an email today from the office of Clover Moore (she is the lord mayor of sydney and an avid GLBT supporter) As i have said previously she is currently on holidays but she has been advised of the situation and will advise of a time when we can meet to discuss the issue with me when she returnes.

This saturday there is an anon protest in Sydney and i have asked for assistance from them for a flyer handout raid up oxford st after the protest when the GLBT community will start to venture out.

I continue every day to recive emails of support on facebook from all sorts of people. It appears that showing the GLBT community that the COS had involvement in Prop 8 in the US (to ban gay marriage) is a strong trigger for them.

Well thats all from me..

Allan

Hi Guys,

Generation Gossip one of the leading Gay Social Blogs in the US has just completed and investigative report on Scientology. Check out the site and let me know what you think. This is something that i only found out about the other day when one of the creators of the blog requested to do one of the stories on me..

:thumbsup: www.generationgossip.com :thumbsup:

Cheers
Allan