What's new

Rex Fowler Charged With 1st Degree Murder!

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
Wow...they are really laying it on pretty thick.

Lauren Jennifer Cutuly appears to be a private lawyer, but no listing in Martindale....

Besides showing up as being a public defender (not sure if that's her current status), Cutuly shows up on a 2006 article from University at Buffalo Law School, giving a list of awards for new grads. So it looks like she's fairly fresh out of law school and interning as a public defender before starting her own practice.

She's also got a listing for a private law practice.

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa
Having watched many episodes of ‘LA Law’, ‘Ally McBeal’ and sundry other American legal shows, I feel confident in detailing the following analysis of the situation.

Rex Fowler has 6 choices:

1. Employ the ‘Self defence’ er, defence. This requires Fowler to claim that Ciancio suddenly got angry, grabbed Fowler’s gun and threatened to kill him. Fowler then claims that they struggled for control of the weapon, before Ciancio pushes the barrel under Fowler’s chin and shoots him once. With his last vestige of consciousness, Fowler makes a superhuman effort and manages to point the weapon at Ciancio and pulls the trigger, fatally wounding his assailant before collapsing.

Viability rating = 0.3. The wound that Fowler suffered would almost certainly preclude him being able to wrestle the weapon from an attacker, who would probably have fired more shots to finish the job anyway. Also, the pattern of shots as reported by other people in the building doesn’t match this story.

2. Employ the ‘It was the other guy’ defence. This would involve making up a story about how he was having a quiet chat with the victim, when an unknown assailant burst into the office, grabbed Fowler’s gun and shot both him and Ciancio before escaping.

Viability rating = 0.5. This is not a very good defence as there is no evidence that any other person was present and it is unlikely that they could have come and gone without the other staff in the office noticing.

3. Employ the ‘Don’t remember a thing, guv’ defence. This would simply mean saying that because of his injury, he doesn’t remember anything about the incident. Requires a leap of faith as the forensic and other evidence is pretty damming and would probably be enough to convict him anyway. Also leaves the prosecution free to make all sorts of speculations as to his motives, possibly implicating the CoS.

Viability rating = 3.7. Wouldn’t get him off the hook, but would spare him having to answer any awkward questions about what happened that day. If he goes the whole hog and claims that he can’t remember anything about his former life, also takes some of the heat off the CoS. This might be the third best option for the CoS.

4. Employ the ‘It’s a fair cop’ non-defence by not contesting the charges or using whatever legal tactic necessary to achieve the same result. This would get him a very lengthy jail term, but would avoid embarrassing questions about his ‘church’ and religious beliefs. This could be followed up by public statements that he had been recruited by the CIA / Big Pharma / Marcabs to infiltrate the Scientology religion and bring it into disrepute.

Viability rating = 8.4. Perhaps the second best possible result for the CoS (there is no realistic prospect of an acquittal), but a really crappy one for Fowler. All hinges on how loyal he is prepared to be. Of course all things are relative as Scientology will still be associated with a murderer and many of the public who knew Fowler (and even some who don’t) will know this is a crock. Might prompt some of them to take a good hard look at what they are supporting.

5. Employ the ‘Crazy as a Moonbat’ defence. This involves claiming that he is not guilty by reason of insanity. This requires not much more than a quick summary of the beliefs and practices of Scientology, followed up by a demonstration of an OTVII auditing session where he ‘exorcises’ invisible beings that have infested his body, causing him to do all manner of evil things, including murder.

Viability rating = 9.1. This would be the best chance Fowler has of avoiding a lengthy jail term, albeit that he has to undertake a lengthy program of psychiatric treatment. Any jury in their right mind, when presented with a history of all the things that Fowler has done while a Scientologist and some of the more whacky ideas that Hubbard came up with, would almost certainly conclude that he was more than a little crazy. Hopefully, Fowler has received a psychiatric evaluation and away from the malign influence of the CoS has come to realise what a disastrous effect his ‘church’ has had on his life. This, of course, would be the worst possible outcome for the CoS as their most secret teachings would be laid bare for all the world to see and be forever linked to causing someone to go mad and kill another human being. The fallout would be cataclysmic.

6. Finish what he started. Correctly apply process R2-45 or a variation of, using whatever materials are at hand, before the case comes to court.

Viability rating = 7.8. Obviously a bad one for Fowler, but being a dedicated Scientologist he might consider this his best option. He’ll pick up a new body and start again in 20-odd years, right where he left off. The CoS will consider this the best outcome as then a lot of the awkward questions will not get asked and murder will not have been proved, allowing them to deny any responsibility and can never be disproven. But, we and many others will know the truth. The authorities must must must, be alert to the CoS trying to exert any pressure on Fowler to “do the right thing”.

So, whatever happens, this is going to be a very bad situation for the CoS and could well be a very large nail in their coffin.

Axiom142
I'll take option 5, Alex.

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa
'Lanzo, mate I found it!.

Unfortunately it's a little worse for wear. See, I didn't realize that a 15ft croc had moved into one of my dams. When I went down there to catch a barra (barramundi) for my tea...well, the bastard grabbed me, and by one of the pockets! Well he took me under and rolled and rolled, eventually I broke free from the croc and jacket. I then scrambled to the surface to get some air.

Furious I went back to the dam after reading your post requesting to borrow it. I took my .243 and a small wild pig I shot. I threw the pig in and waited, within a few seconds the water surface broke and I let a round go.

When I pulled him out I had to cut the jacket out of his gut, it now has several tears, some bloodstains, an unholy odour and a bullet hole.

Do you still want me to send it over?

Sounds fine to me.

Mick, as our ESMB, on-scene correspondent, is the one who will wear it.

(I don't know if anyone on this board knows this, but Feral does not live like the rest of us.)

Ogsonofgroo

Crusader
He may be pleading not guilty to first degree murder because they can prove other circumstances were at work that show it was not first degree murder.

And he may work out a deal to turn state's evidence in other matters.

Only by pleading not guilty does he have any way of negotiating a lesser sentence which does not have the danger of the death penalty, etc.

And, if there are Scientology connections which they may be interested in following up, he may be willing to exchange info for that lesser charge.

Or something.

But none of that matters now.

We have 5 months to get a properly dressed ESMB correspondent into that courtroom, giving minute by minute live updates from inside. We are also going to need one of those colored chalk artists to draw pictures of the judge and other people and fax them to us for posting.

He has five months to figure out how to do the job right.:whistling:

Smurf

Gold Meritorious SP
Besides showing up as being a public defender (not sure if that's her current status), Cutuly shows up on a 2006 article from University at Buffalo Law School, giving a list of awards for new grads. So it looks like she's fairly fresh out of law school and interning as a public defender before starting her own practice.

She's also got a listing for a private law practice.

The address is the Brighton County Public Defender's Office where she's on paid staff, not an intern. I doxed her on WWP:

http://forums.whyweprotest.net/1250063-post263/

She became a member of the Colorado State Bar in 2006. Member # 38272. She seems to be a very smart cookie. Don't look forward to this case being "a nail in the coffin" for Scientology. I'm betting that, for the most part, the judge in the case will keep Scientology out of the trial as it would be very prejudicial to the defendant and would provide grounds for a successful appeal in the case (if the judge allowed it to stay in). Rex Fowler is on trial for murder, not embezzling money from his company & giving it to Scientology.

thetanic

Gold Meritorious Patron
tikk, over on WWP, corrects the plea issue:

I was discussing this on IRC earlier and found case law that I read too quickly and was mistakenly drawn to the same conclusion as above. Upon closer review, only two states prohibit a defendant from entering a guilty plea in a capital murder case, New York and Arkansas. Louisiana had a similar statute but repealed it in 1995. That said, a judge in any state would be very wary of accepting a guilty plea without ensuring that the person fully understood the consequences of such a plea because (a) such a plea is effectively judicially assisted suicide; and (b) the appeals process in death penalty cases is so much more elaborate in terms of checks and balances. So guilty pleas in murder one cases are rare, but not prohibited in Colorado.

Winston Smith

Flunked Scientology
I take your point. Still, Heifetz was known for using some of the finest violins in the world, including two Stradivari (Delfino & Piel) and a Guarneri, all of which remain renowned for the quality of their sound. So points can be allowed both ways, both for skill of the artist as well as resonance of the instrument. :clap:

Guns, however, remain distressingly "point & click". :eyeroll:

Mark A. Baker

I have not been on thread for awhile. I just added the Heifetz quip because from my perspective as a string player the analogy stands. Heifetz sold one of his Strads to a Japanese businessman three decades before he died on the understanding that he could use it until his death. Great loss to the violin world. More than that, ofcourse he played the greatest instruments on earth, he was the greatest player. And more than that, no one since his death in Dec 1987 has duplicated Jascha Heifetz' sound, with or without his violins. It is a sore point sometimes when people come up to a player and praise his instrument.

The damned instrument will not make a peep unless the player plays it. I personally feel the same way--and whenever anyone has complimented me it has been me they compliment, not my cello. As it should be.

There are many great instruments true. But without the player the instrument does nothing, just like a firearm. And Enthetan is right, marksmanship is a refined skill, unless you are unlucky enough to be standing two feet from the gun. (Even then it is not guaranteed you will be killed..no one knows where the round will hit.)

Smilla

Ordinary Human
I have not been on thread for awhile. I just added the Heifetz quip because from my perspective as a string player the analogy stands. Heifetz sold one of his Strads to a Japanese businessman three decades before he died on the understanding that he could use it until his death. Great loss to the violin world. More than that, ofcourse he played the greatest instruments on earth, he was the greatest player. And more than that, no one since his death in Dec 1987 has duplicated Jascha Heifetz' sound, with or without his violins. It is a sore point sometimes when people come up to a player and praise his instrument.

The damned instrument will not make a peep unless the player plays it. I personally feel the same way--and whenever anyone has complimented me it has been me they compliment, not my cello. As it should be.

There are many great instruments true. But without the player the instrument does nothing, just like a firearm. And Enthetan is right, marksmanship is a refined skill, unless you are unlucky enough to be standing two feet from the gun. (Even then it is not guaranteed you will be killed..no one knows where the round will hit.)
That's true. I've heard great players make mediocre instruments sound beautiful.

Winston Smith

Flunked Scientology
That's true. I've heard great players make mediocre instruments sound beautiful.

Yes dear! You know! My favorite cellist on earth, Danny Rothmuller, assistant principal cellist of the LA Philharmonic can make any instrument sound like Rothmuller...pure love, freedom, an open sound that is unmatched by any cellist I have ever heard. It is not really cool to imitate players, but he was my teacher for a couple of years when I was a kid, and I have never gotten that sound out of my heart. When I play that sound is in my heart.

What do you say Smilla, let's hijack this thread and start talking the greatest art of them all--music!

Kookaburra

Gold Meritorious Patron
'Lanzo, mate I found it!.

Unfortunately it's a little worse for wear. See, I didn't realize that a 15ft croc had moved into one of my dams. When I went down there to catch a barra (barramundi) for my tea...well, the bastard grabbed me, and by one of the pockets! Well he took me under and rolled and rolled, eventually I broke free from the croc and jacket. I then scrambled to the surface to get some air.

Furious I went back to the dam after reading your post requesting to borrow it. I took my .243 and a small wild pig I shot. I threw the pig in and waited, within a few seconds the water surface broke and I let a round go.

When I pulled him out I had to cut the jacket out of his gut, it now has several tears, some bloodstains, an unholy odour and a bullet hole.

Do you still want me to send it over?

I'm sure that the jacket has aquired some Crocodile Dundee authenticity about it, and will look just great in a Colorado courtroom. However, do you realize that that equally authenticated white acubra that Vicky hates would have to go with it?

Feral

Rogue male
I'm sure that the jacket has aquired some Crocodile Dundee authenticity about it, and will look just great in a Colorado courtroom. However, do you realize that that equally authenticated white acubra that Vicky hates would have to go with it?

Well, I was told either that hat had to go or she did.

It was a near thing too, but in the end I bought a new hat.:D

Lurker5

Gold Meritorious Patron
Re: Another viewpoint

When I first read of this the first week of January I remember thinking that Rex was the LAST person I could imagine doing this. I couldn't have been much more shocked.

But knowing what duress he has most certainly gone through in the "modern" Church of Scientology I guess I'm less surprised.

I met Rex the day he walked into Gary Knutson and Mike Brisnehan's Scn Mission of Boulder back in about 1975. The "good old days". He'd read a promo piece we'd put out - the "Auditor 13" ('PHILOSOPHY WINS AFTER 2000 YEARS' was its banner.) I sold Rex the Dianetics book, he read it and was off like gangbusters. I can't think of very many guys who seemed more alive and vibrant. He was so uptone, competent and engaging. Politically he was the first Libertarian I had met. He was passionate about anything he put his mind to. And I think he was usually successful in what he attempted.

When he met and then later fell in love with Jan (who I had known for a few months and had had a budding but "not destined to blossom" relationship) I had real mixed emotions. I had a real bond with her - she was a wonderful woman - a talented and caring artist - and I recall my suppressed tears as I watched them say their wedding vows a couple of years later. "That should be me up there", I was thinking.

The next year I left Boulder and lost touch with Jan and Rex. My own Scn career gyrated like a Tilt-o-Whirl. In the SO at Flag for a couple of years. Blew. "Made up the damage" and got heavily involved as a volunteer. Then off lines for a looong time then finally back "on lines" in the mid 90s "for good" and doggedly trained from the bottom ("New Golden Age of Tech Student Hat!") to Class VI. (And to REALLY make up any damage, racked up $100K+ in debt to save us all via the IAS!)

It was late in this training that I ran into Rex again (about 2004). Surprised the hell out of me. Older and grayer but still the wonderful chap I remembered. (Now that I think back however he wasn't quite as vibrant as before. I overlooked it at the time.) I coached him through a few of the "tougher" drills on the Pro Metering course. He was good too.

Turns out, although I didn't have the full story, his TIP (Technical Individual Pgm.) was to train through Cl IV Auditor training to get back on OTVII. I thought at the time it seemed a bit odd. I wondered what he (who had always been so competent) had (or hadn't) done that made this a necessity.

Over the next couple of years he would be out from Denver for a week or two of training, obviously making bit by bit progress. The last time I saw him he was with Jan and I got to see her for the first time in almost 30 years. I know she had been on (perhaps off, too) VII for a long time. I guess I expected some sparks or something in my universe (hers?). No, not really. I imagined she was "happy" (but secretly wondered a little).

I knew their son (goes by 'Alex') casually as he worked in Treasury at ASHO Fdn. He was adopted - of Asian heritage. A nice young man, always seemed genuinely friendly. I don't understand his buying his dad a pistol!! Seems like a very odd gift.

I can only imagine his regrets now.

And (unrealistically I'm sure) maybe Jan's that she didn't stick with me.

And my own I guess... that I sold Rex that Dianetics book almost 35 years ago.

I wish he'd seen the light in time and gotten himself and his family and business out from under the influence of what the C of $ has become.

My heart truly goes out to the Ciancio family.

:bump2:

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free
Not sure if this was posted anywhere. Predictably, Fowler lost his appeal

Colorado Court of Appeals -- February 20, 2014
Announcement Sheet

UNPUBLISHED OPINIONS

Court of Appeals No. 11CA0747
Adams County District Court No. 10CR233
Honorable Francis C. Wasserman, Judge

The People of the State of Colorado,

Plaintiff-Appellee,

v.

William Rex Fowler,

Defendant-Appellant.

JUDGMENT AFFIRMED

Division V
Opinion by JUDGE BERNARD
Graham and Nieto*, JJ., concur

NOT PUBLISHED PURSUANT TO C.A.R. 35(f)

People can write to him if they want:
Buena Vista Correctional Complex (BVCC )
Rex Fowler DOC # 153314
PO Box 2017 BVCF)/PO Box 2005 (BVMC)
Buena Vista, CO, 81211

153314.jpg

FOWLER, WILLIAM R
Name: FOWLER, WILLIAM R
Ethnicity: WHITE
Hair Color: BROWN
Eye Color: GREEN
Height: 6' 03"
Weight: 180

DOC Number: 153314
Est. Parole
Eligibility Date:
Next Parole
Hearing Date:
This offender is scheduled on the Parole Board agenda for the month and year above. Please contact the facility case manager for the exact date.
Est. Mandatory
Release Date:
Est. Sentence
Discharge Date: 12/31/9998
Current Facility
Assignment: BUENA VISTA CORRECTIONAL COMPLEX

CURRENT CONVICTIONS
Sentence Date Sentence County Case No.
02/25/2011 Life Without Parole ADAMS 10CR233

Lurker5

Gold Meritorious Patron
Just one of the saddest - one of the most tragic - end results - for any kind of involvement in scno/co$ - terminal for so many - including this man's victim - and the one's like Lisa McPherson- and all the other multitude of unknown/un-named dead, ill and dying - all in the sociopathic 'arms' of co$/scno . . . . :scnsucks: THIS IS WHY !

I wonder, has he awoken from the scno-pyschosis, to the realization of what he did - does he even have the mental capacity remaining to do so - or is he blithely teaching psycho-scno to inmates, creating more Charlie Mansons and other scno/co$ OT 'family', to be let loose to prey upon unsuspecting trusting souls - like Thomas Ciancio (sp?)?

BunnySkull

Silver Meritorious Patron
I'd be curious to know if his family or former scio-friends have anything to do with him nowadays. Any jail house visits?

Did his family or friends attend the trial or testify in support of him? Or was he abandoned by all due to the flap he caused for the cult? I'm also wondering if or how deeply involved his wife and children still are in the cult?

Of course, Rex's own belief or lack their of in Scientology would be interesting to find out. I guess people could write to converse with him about it, prisoners are always desperate for mail from anyone.

Churchill

Gold Meritorious Patron
Not sure if this was posted anywhere. Predictably, Fowler lost his appeal

People can write to him if they want:
Buena Vista Correctional Complex (BVCC )
Rex Fowler DOC # 153314
PO Box 2017 BVCF)/PO Box 2005 (BVMC)
Buena Vista, CO, 81211

Does anyone know whether Mr. Fowlers OT VIII Certificate has been cancelled?
Embezzlement, then murder...it's too bad that the victims family can't sue the unseen accomplice in this crime.

dchoiceisalwaysrs

Gold Meritorious Patron
Snip...
Embezzlement, then murder...it's too bad that the victims family can't sue the unseen accomplice in this crime.

The thing is the "unseen" accomplices were very likely seen in scientology's Mecca of spiritual help. But of course they may well be following their mentor's teck of disappearing so they couldn't be subpoenaed. Wouldn't be surprised if they are still caring for the individual's and associates wallet emptying we would rather have you dead than incapable or some such twisted humanitarian spiel.

Bottom line, this criminal financial extortion is still a crime under the law, and goes unpunished because it 'apparently' is protected under the first amendment by politically motivated 'church of scientology'

http://scientologymoneyproject.com/2015/02/02/the-horriying-real-secret-of-scientology/

"L. Ron Hubbard:

“You want to know what happens when you clear everybody in that neighborhood, the only thing that [Scientology] center can become used for is a political center. Because by the time you’ve done all this, you are the government…” — L. Ron Hubbard. Taped Lecture – 9 January 1962: Future Org Trends.

“Once the world is Clear – a nation, a state, a city or a village – the Scientology-organization in the area becomes its government! And once this has taken place the only policy accepted as valid is Scientology policy.” — L. Ron Hubbard. Taped Lecture – 9 January 1962: Future Org Trends. "