What's new

WHAT HAPPENED TO SCIENTOLOGY

lexmark

Patron with Honors
My introduction to Scientology in 1964 was quite incredible. At the time I was an ordinary guy age 24, rather nervous and had a good job in the printing industry. I was given an introductory course about the eight dynamics and the ARC (Affinity Reality & Communication) triangle. I was very impressed and signed up for the basic courses and then did the auditors courses up to class 4. I was so impressed that I gave up my job and joined staff and worked at the Cape Town organisation for 2 years. It was an incredible experience; the people I met and worked with were wonderful and friendly. We received lots of communication from St Hill Manor in Sussex England, the headquarters of Scientology where L Ron Hubbard was based. People from all over the world went to St Hill for more training and auditing (counseling). It was really impressive.

After I completed my contract at the Cape Town organisation I went back to my profession in the printing industry to make some money as the pay in Scientology was not good. I then heard of Hubbard’s plans to start the Sea Organization and decided to join. I contacted them and they told me to go to the new Advanced Organisation at the Reycar hotel in Alicante, Spain. I arrived there sometime in 1968 where I was introduced to hundreds of people from all over the world studying the more advanced levels of Scientology and receiving auditing on these levels. Most of the hotel was leased by Scientology and it was just fantastic, again the people were friendly and just terrific.

Hubbard was at this time somewhere in the Mediterranean sailing on his flag ship “The Royal Scotsman” later named the Apollo but everything was confidential and we did not know their whereabouts. Part of my responsibilities was to go to the post office in Alicante and send and receive telex communication from the flagship and from Hubbard in particular. On this one particular morning I received a telex from Hubbard stating that we were about to be raided by the Spanish authorities and we had to pack up and close the organisation in Spain and take all the course materials and other documents to the newly formed advanced organisation in Edinburgh Scotland. I was also informed that I had to purchase plane tickets for all the students and transfer them to Edinburgh which I did. I then packed up all the course materials, central files and other materials, hired a large car and together with a colleague drove all the materials to the advanced organisation in Edinburgh after which I returned to Alicante by plane and was then transferred the station ship “The Avon River” docked in Valencia.
I now became a crew member of the Sea Organisation station ship Avon River later named the Athena and after filling in loads of documents required by law for crew members I got to my “new” bunk around 3:00 am in the morning and was awakened at 5:45 am and told that it was my turn to stand quarter master watch and given an old pair of overalls to wear. I was given instructions of what to do and there I was, quarter master of the watch. At around 10:00 am I was approached by a pretty young girl who assigned me a lower condition for wearing dirty old overalls while on watch and was told to report to the ethics officer. The lower condition required that I spend the next 24 hours doing hard labour and was instructed to paint the bridge as punishment.

While painting and working throughout the night, thoughts went around in my head that this was not the Scientology I knew and decided I wished to leave but unfortunately I had no money so could not. But I was very upset. However I overcame that experience and we received orders to set sail for Bizerte in Tunisia. I was transferred to the engine room and had to learn the ropes while under sail. While under sail the rings of one of the pistons broke but we carried on to Bizerte and opened the engines there and started repairing them. However we were assigned a lower condition by the captain and had to spend the next 48 hours repairing the engines without sleep. While we were working to repair the engines the Flag ship arrived with Hubbard aboard and our chief engineer was recalled to the flag ship and I was appointed chief engineer. This was a steam ship and while I had some knowledge about petrol engines acquired from fixing my car, I had no knowledge about steam engines; I mean the pistons were bigger than I was. The next minute I received a visit from a messenger from Hubbard enquiring “when can I set sail”? I told her to tell LRH that I had just joined the ship and had little experience so if he would send the chief engineer back we will get the engines repaired as quick as possible and sail. No problem he sent the chief back we fixed the rings and set sail for Greece where we met up again with the flag ship. He did not assign me a condition or anything, we just got the job done.

After settling down in Greece Hubbard started the Class 8 course and received students from all over the world and it was here that I watched these terrified students being thrown overboard from the vantage point of our station ship after making mistakes on their course. I later heard that this overboard nonsense started when LRH said “he should be thrown overboard” not intending it literally but the recipient of that message took it literally and from there on it happened every morning until it was later stopped.
The storey so far is about my experience with ethics and the way it was applied. My first experience was with an illiterate idiot who knew nothing about Scientology and should never have been appointed to that post. The second experience was out of fear by our captain of what Hubbard may say or do when he heard that our engines broke down. After I explained to him that there was a ridge in the cylinder that caused the ring to break he returned the chief and we fixed it and set sail, No more problem. After those first experiences we sailed around the Med and later in the Baltic and it became a joyous experience, none of this ethics nonsense.

I was later transferred to the flag ship and worked as an auditor where people were working 16 hours per day 7 days per week like slaves never taking liberty. Hubbard commented on this saying that you must take liberty, it is unhealthy not to. It later occurred to me that those in charge that kept their juniors working without liberty were rather fanatic about scientology. When I first joined the Sea Organisation the policy was that every second afternoon you were entitled to liberty but the fanatics later put a stop to that. In 1986 I resigned from Scientology when I left the Flag Land Base in disgust.

It is now 2010 and what do I see about the Sea Organisation. I have a list of thousands of individuals and groups being declared suppressive and enemies of Scientology. Many of these people I know and worked with. They are good descent people and today have their own families and I remain friends with many of them. I see enquiries around the world of families being broken up through the disconnection policy. I hear weird stories about Miscaviage attacking people and beating them up.
The truth is Scientology was never intended to be this way. It was about people helping people to lead better lives. That was the major purpose.
What I wish to do now is refer to the policy that L Ron Hubbard wrote somewhere around 1965 or 66 entitled The Anti Social Personality and state that the ONLY reason that Scientology is in so much trouble today is that persons now in leadership positions such as David Miscaviage and Norman Starkey have personality traits referred to in that policy. That policy is attached hereunder.

The Anti Social Personality

By L Ron Hubbard

There are certain characteristics and mental attitudes which cause about 20 percent of a race to oppose violently any betterment activity or group.
Such people are known to have antisocial tendencies.
When the legal or political structure of a country becomes such as to favor such personalities in positions of trust, then all the civilizing organizations of the country become suppressed and a barbarism of criminality and economic duress ensues.
Crime and criminal acts are perpetrated by antisocial personalities. Inmates of institutions commonly trace their state back to contact with such personalities.
Thus, in the fields of government, police activities and mental health, to name a few, we see that it is important to be able to detect and isolate this personality type so as to protect society and individuals from the destructive consequences attendant upon letting such have free rein to injure others.
As they only comprise 20 percent of the population and as only 2 1/2 percent are truly dangerous, we see that with a very small amount of effort we could considerably better the state of society.
Well-known, even stellar, examples of such a personality are, of course, Napoleon and Hitler. Dillinger, Pretty Boy Floyd, Christie and other famous criminals were well-known examples of the antisocial personality. But with such a cast of characters in history we neglect the less stellar examples and do not perceive that such personalities exist in current life, very common, often undetected.
When we trace the cause of a failing business, we will inevitably discover somewhere in its ranks the antisocial personality hard at work.
In families which are breaking up, we commonly find one or the other of the persons involved to have such a personality.
Where life has become rough and is failing, a careful review of the area by a trained observer will detect one or more such personalities at work.
As there are 80 percent of us trying to get along and only 20 percent trying to prevent us, our lives would be much easier to live were we well informed as to the exact manifestations of such a personality. Thus, we could detect it and save ourselves much failure and heartbreak.

the-ghostwhowalks

Patron with Honors
What a great post !

I mean , man you were there ! - people like you are priceless - please , write and recall all that you can , for history's sake . :thumbsup:

RebtGenius

Patron with Honors
Greetings Lexmark,

Thanks for sharing your story. I found it very engaging and enjoyed your account of how Scientology and the Sea Org operated in a different era. Of course, I've heard many divergent opinions on Hubbard's behavior, but it's nice to hear different vantage points.

There's no such thing as a person who is 'all good' or 'all bad.' The extremists you talked about have a black and white, dichotomous view of the world. They harm both themselves and others through their irrational, radical ideologies. It certainly appears that Scientology is in dire need of more moderating influences, especially in leadership positions-as you mentioned. It appears this is an impossibility and we will now watch Scientology and its institutions wither on the vine. I'm sure it's somewhat of a painful time for those who extracted value from their past experiences with the organization.

Jeffrey

Feral

Rogue male
Welcome lex, and nice post! We always like hearing about the early days.

Sadly Hubbard did have something to do with the subsequent state of Scientology, if only by failing to arrange his succession planning.

Either way, there's no doubt the cult has become a monstrosity.

Veda

Sponsor
-snip-

After settling down in Greece Hubbard started the Class 8 course and received students from all over the world and it was here that I watched these terrified students being thrown overboard from the vantage point of our station ship after making mistakes on their course. I later heard that this overboard nonsense started when LRH said “he should be thrown overboard” not intending it literally but the recipient of that message took it literally and from there on it happened every morning until it was later stopped.

-snip-

From the 'Overboard Cermony' thread: http://www.forum.exscn.net/showpost.php?p=65439&postcount=1

Hubbard's Class 8 lectures, from two who were there: http://www.forum.exscn.net/showpost.php?p=177122&postcount=41

Hubbard wrote 'The Anti-Social Personality/The Anti-Scientologist' around the same time that he wrote 'KSW', established the bait and switch "Implantology" upper levels, the 'Fair Game Law', initiated the SP Doctrine http://www.suppressiveperson.org/hate/pubs/hco-exec-ltr-1965-09-27amprinistics.html , SP Declares, Disconnection. And this was before he made himself the Commodore and started the Sea Org. http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Library/Shelf/miller/interviews/mayo.htm

The awful truth is that Scientology has been an abusive personality cult since the 1960s, and is the way it is today, largely, because its founder designed it that way. http://exscn.net/content/view/178/105

Peter Soderqvist

Patron with Honors
Soderqvist1: Jeff Hawkins was on he ship too!

overbord.jpg

“Too Gruesome” by Jeff Hawkins
I was also reminded of a phrase I had mercifully forgotten: “too gruesome.” It’s a noun. It’s used like this: “give him a ‘too gruesome’." It comes from HCO Policy Letter of 5 January 1968, “Overfilled In-Basket, Bad News.” LRH says:
“MAKE THE PENALTIES FOR NONCOMPLIANCE AND FALSE REPORTS TOO GRUESOME TO BE FACED AND ENFORCE THEM.” In the same issue, he also said, “It takes far more ethics and far steeper, enforced penalties to make an organization work than Scientologists have been using.” This was written in 1968, the year that “overboards” were instituted on the ship. And chain locker imprisonment. And cleaning out the bilges. Too gruesome. Later that same year, LRH wrote, in HCO PL 4 October 68, “Ethics Presence,” “Men will keep the accounts straight only because you can muster bayonets to enforce that they do.” I don’t know what LRH was running into that caused him to write such things. But they did set the tone for the Sea Org in 1968 – and thereafter. I well remember the arrival of a Sea Org Mission in 1968 where I was working, in Pubs Org Denmark. We soon had our own “overboardings” (buckets of icy water thrown at staff by a “firing squad), running “laps” up and down the stairs, and “noncompliant” people imprisoned in the elevator shaft. The stench of fear permeated the place. It was, in a word, gruesome.
http://leavingscientology.wordpress.com/2010/05/14/too-gruesome/

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on
Hey Lex, good stuff.

But I also pulled some duty on various S.O. ships including a short time in the very same engine room on the Athena you speak of! I have "fond recollections" of being awakened for my shift in the middle of the night to rumble down there to begin lubricating the pistons amidst the awful fumes, oil slicked floors and non-stop roar of the engines.

I saw things a different way in some respects. My (at that time) wife worked directly for Ron and she failed a white glove of his office by missing a dust spot above his cabin door. That was an immediate "throw her in the chain locker!" And there she was imprisoned until it blew over. I don't think Ron was a kind man, do you?

It wasn't his subordinates doing evil. It was his subordinates following his evil orders which demanded that they do evil. For example, do you think that Mary Sue and another top 10 of Ron's deputies went to Federal Prison because they did NOT follow his orders?

They went because they FOLLOWED his orders.

I am not sure why you are thinking someone else was in charge of Scientology....

But, differences aside my S.O. brother...i still send some love out to ya! HH

Ogsonofgroo

Crusader
Another great article by Jeff indeed, I do enjoy his blog and the comments to this recent addition are worth a read as well, I especially liked this post by Vadin quoting Aaron's 'straight through the heart' summation of the accomplishments of LRH which I had previously not read in its entirety>
May 14, 2010
VaD - The World is Fine permalink

Great, Jeff!
Now we are talking! Finally we are to the inner layer and the core of the Scientological Onion: http://exscn.net/content/view/178/105.

I’m very glad that we’ve taken it up. It’s worth it.
DM is bad guy, but he’s following “succesful actions” of LRH and creating on them, too.

Just yesterday I re-read this on ESMB:

“Hubbard was a bad guy too. In fact, he wrote the manual on Scientology behavior.

Aaron Saxton wrote it out clearly:

RPF created by DM? No, LRH
Diet of Beans and Rice – LRH
Fair Game – LRH
Beaching – LRH
Overboarding – LRH
Destruction of enemies at all cost – LRH
Not allowing SO members to marry who they want, making them only marry SO members? – LRH
Throwing children in the Bilge pumps on the ship? – LRH personally
Who said we are taken to Venus and other planets for the last 20,000 years and implanted by aliens with Fac One? – LRH
Who recorded the incident ont he whoeltrack going back 74 Qudtrillion years or so down to the last minute? – LRH
Who claimed to remember millions of lifetimes and could not recall one piece of technology or language? – LRH
The total garbage in the “All About Radiation” book? – LRH
Separating Morals from Ethics – giving the biggest MU to Scientologists that allows them to have no humanity in decision making – LRH
Operation Snowhite – LRH
The total BS “Mission into Time” – LRH
Abandonment of his own children – LRH
Abandonment of his wife – LRH
Treating kids as Adults and mkaing them responsible for the universe – CMO – LRH
Disconnection – LRH
Elimination of SPs from the population – LRH
Who died with hundreds that he had ever worked for him bar a few declared, yet he knew how to spot them apparently???? – LRH
Who said he created a clear and never did? – LRH
Who said he was an OT but actually wasn’t? – LRH
Who said OT powers had been realised and no one has ever displayed them? – LRH
Who created DM? – LRH
Who created the Sea Org? – LRH
Who created the GO? – LRH
Who authorized the series “Infiltration of the enemy network”? – LRH
Who created rollback? – LRH
Who reported people to the police to be arrested for being communists when they were just critics? – LRH
Who told us governments were evil? – LRH
Who lied and told us that OT III would kill you if not prepared? – LRH
Who increased the prices of Scn? – LRH
Who said Jesus was below OT One? – LRH
Who said Yoga ism and other religions were IMPLANTS, then started his own religion? – LRH
Who started a religion because the AMA demanded SCIENTIFIC proof of Dianetics to avoid proving anything? – LRH
Who lied about his military service? Not DM, LRH did!
Who said Scientologists were the most ethical group? – LRH
Who presented the Axioms and Maxims as FACT when they are easily, with scientific evaluation disproved? – LRH
Who ran the SO during which period more atrocities were committed than when under DM? – LRH
Who ran the SO for the first decade and then some? – LRH
Who ran Scientology into the ground and had to run off on a boat? – LRH
Who first awarded SO missionaries with a NAVAL DIRK (Weapon) for power missions? – LRH
Who made the policy that RPFing one FB staff member a week was good for morale? – LRH
Who made the policy on Children (Messengers) having the power to RPF anyone at anytime without Comm Ev? – LRH
Who told the first SO members they had to be trained in weapons and judo? – LRH
Who said they had done extensive research yet there is not one paper of his research ever released? – LRH”

Do we have anything to add here?”

Time to cut the crap, isn’t it? ;)
Sums it all up quite nicely I think :)

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)
sorry lexmark but I think you need to actually wake up.

That there were people who were in the orgs and missions in the early days who were nice, collegial types just trying to improve themselves is quite true - and most of them left Scientology. Why? Because they gradually found it to be wanting.

In all the time you were in - did you ever find a clear or an OT? Nope, of course not, because the concepts are totally lame and stupid.

You cite an article by Hubbard where he describes the anti-social personality. You go on to say that Miscavige and Starkey are two such personalities - so I am guessing that you think this article is actually worth something?

So Hubbard was brilliant enough to conceive and write it but way too stupid to even see the personality when they were right next to him? How did this dimwit inspire your confidence?

I am consistently amazed at the ability of some scientologists to whip out the rose colored glasses whenever they think of Hubbard and somehow miss the simple fact that he created an evil and nasty organization that could not produce what Hubbard said and claimed HAD to be produced in order to save the world.

Scientology was an idiot's dream from the very start, of course it gradually got worse and worse - Hubbard never had any answers and just grew increasingly authoritarian as it went along. Each step blaming others more and more.

Last edited:

Lurker5

Gold Meritorious Patron
The Zen Sledge . . . .

That there were people who were in the orgs and missions in the early days who were nice, collegial types just trying to improve themselves is quite true - and most of them left Scientology. Why? Because they gradually found it to be wanting.

In all the time you were in - did you ever find a clear or an OT? Nope, of course not, because the concepts are totally lame and stupid.

You cite an article by Hubbard where he describes the anti-social personality. You go on to say that Miscavige and Starkey are two such personalities - so I am guessing that you think this article is actually worth something?

So Hubbard was brilliant enough to conceive and write it but way too stupid to even see the personality when they were right next to him? How did this dimwit inspire your confidence?

I am consistently amazed at the ability of some scientologists to whip out the rose colored glasses whenever they think of Hubbard and somehow miss the simple fact that he created an evil and nasty organization that could not produce what Hubbard and claimed HAD to be produced in order to save the world.

Scientology was an idiot's dream from the very start, of course it gradually got worse and worse - Hubbard never had any answers and just grew increasingly authoritarian as it went along. Each step blaming others more and more.

Yep, Good Post, Mick. The Zen Sledge is right :thumbsup:

ULRC/S

Patron with Honors
Lex,
GREAT REPORT> I was on the Avon River and Scotman similar times to you. I also had wonderful experiences in Auckland and Sydney orgs before joining the SO in '68.

So well done on writing what you did, and maybe we knew each other. I was posted as Electronics Chief on the Avon for LRH 's second "Mission into Time" trip, and was on it for the trip from Bizerte back to Valenca, Malela (??) and Corfu, under Capt Hanna Eltringham. Boy, were there some adventures on that trip...

Regards, Allen

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
Scientology *is* exactly what it was always doomed to be. Blue-eyed naivete and deliberate ignorance are the only things that can blind the new Scientologist to the inevitable end result.

It's the Murphy's Law of Cults; Any abuse or criminality or deception that *can* happen, because it's possible due to the core principles of the Cult; *will* happen. Scientology didn't go 'off the rails'; this is the only place the 'rails' go.

Zinj

rah rah sis boom bah humbug

Hi Lex! Good to hear from you. I apreciate the zen sledgehammer faction but for all the negatives I'm still convinced tech is of great value. Ron observed "Scientology is a grassroots movement". Let's revive and expand it's true spirit and action and make it's ideals practical and productive

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)
Hi Lex! Good to hear from you. I apreciate the zen sledgehammer faction but for all the negatives I'm still convinced tech is of great value. Ron observed "Scientology is a grassroots movement". Let's revive and expand it's true spirit and action and make it's ideals practical and productive

Hubbard also observed that no-one except him discovered Scientology. He also observed that homosexuals should be cordoned off and eliminated. he also observed that clears have perfect recall.

He apparently observed a whole bunch of total rubbish and wrote most if down.

Glad you are still convinced. Report in from the mothership as soon as you spot an OT!

Zinjifar

Well Bird, first things first. Stop the machine. Stop the crime. Stop the 'Church'.

There will be plenty of time to play with the pretty shards and shambles once the raw-meat-grinder is smashed into impotence.

Zinj

lexmark

Patron with Honors

I am consistently amazed at the ability of some scientologists to whip out the rose colored glasses whenever they think of Hubbard and somehow miss the simple fact that he created an evil and nasty organization that could not produce what Hubbard and claimed HAD to be produced in order to save the world.

I suppose we are all entitled to our opinion.
Maybe I should change my remark regarding the policy on The Anti Social Personality to "within the framework of LRHs writing on the Anti Social Personality Miscaviage and Starkey would be canditates on what he was writing about".

Of course a lot of people left scientology from the early days, many of them died and many drifted off to get on with their lives.

As an auditor on the lower levels I have seen people make gains as I myself did. The state of clear and especially the OT levels are a load of nonsense including OT 8, absolutely so.

You maybe one who does not believe in spirituality but go along the materialist line of thinking. But LRH did introduce spirituality to a western world that was sadly lacking in knowledge on spirituality, a subject very rich in the East. There are scientists now who are busy researching the subject of spirituality and presenting their findings. Such things as the The Secret came long after. Napoleon Hill's book "Think & Grow Rich" is a best seller and is based on spirituality.The Sea Org was not a good place to be I would agree with you.

Today we live in a world ruled by politicians based on materialism with an economics based on materialism. More than half the population of the world are starving because they cannot take part in this economics. War is based on materialism. The current global economic meltdown is based on materialist economics. Pollution of our planet is based on materialist economics.

The basics of scientology such as the 8 dynamics, the ARC triangle, the tone scale - what may I ask do you find fault with that.

Zinjifar

But LRH did introduce spirituality to a western world that was sadly lacking in knowledge on spirituality, a subject very rich in the East.

Oh hogwash. L. Ron Hubbard is not only a johnny come lately on the 'western spirituality scene'; He's practically unknown to 'The West' except as a liver-lipped conman and blowhard who founded a Cult that's coming under increasing scrutiny for its crimes yet is *still* most often confused with Christian Science.

Ron 'introduced' spirituality to the West? Don't make me laugh :)

Zinj

Veda

Sponsor

Have you read the 1950 - 1955 letters, by Hubbard, to the FBI? Or the 1955 'Manual on Dissemination of Material?' Or Hubbard's observations about "squirrels" such as (1952) Don Purcell or (1965) Jack Horner? Or for that matter about his 2nd wife (1951), the Russian spy "Sara Komkovadamanov?"

When was Scientology a "grass roots movement"?

It's been a secretive cult since at least 1965.

But I think I see what's happening. It's understandable. It's even discussed in this thread, beginning at post #8:

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?t=15906&highlight=teenagers

The phenomenon was observed (post #8 above link) at a recent Scientology Freezone conference by one of its participants:

"The enthusiasm had the whole room regressed back to a pack of teenagers."