What's new

DO NOT post a copy of your submission on ESMB or anywhere else.........

Carmel

Crusader
.........until AFTER it has been accepted and published by the senate committee. Your submission must not be disclosed to anyone else until *after* it has been accepted and published by the committee.

If you want your submission to be included and to count, and if you want to be covered by parliamentary privilege, then keep it to yourself, at least until you see it published.

Key points for submissions (besides above), which clearly need to be re-iterated :

- Those in Oz should upload their submissions (on "word" or "pdf") using this site:
https://senate.aph.gov.au/submissions/pages/index.aspx

Those outside of Oz need to email their submissions using the details on this site:
http://www.aph.gov.au/Senate/committee/economics_ctte/

- The senate committee will/may reject submissions NOT RELEVANT to the Inquiry. i.e submissions about Scn beliefs only. Please make sure your submission is relevant to the "public benefit test". Yes, the committee wants info about the CofS and other cults, but remember to give that info as an example of why a public benefit test would be appropriate or not, for any and all religious or charitable organizations before being granted tax exemption.

- If you want your submission to count, then simply read the op (the first post) of the following thread - Yes, it may be long, but if you want to do a good job of your submission, and make it count for something, then it would be a wise thing to read it:
http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?t=18185

- Closing date for submissions is June 18th. (June 17th for those in the USA)

Last edited:

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa
.........until AFTER it has been accepted and published by the senate committee. Your submission must not be disclosed to anyone else until *after* it has been accepted and published by the committee.

If you want your submission to be included and to count, and if you want to be covered by parliamentary privilege, then keep it to yourself, at least until you see it published.

Key points for submissions (besides above), which clearly need to be re-iterated :

- Those in Oz should upload their submissions (on "word" or "pdf") using this site:
https://senate.aph.gov.au/submissions/pages/index.aspx

Those outside of Oz need to email their submissions using the details on this site:
http://www.aph.gov.au/Senate/committee/economics_ctte/

- The senate committee will/may reject submissions NOT RELEVANT to the Inquiry. i.e submissions about Scn beliefs only. Please make sure your submission is relevant to the "public benefit test". Yes, the committee wants info about the CofS and other cults, but remember to give that info as an example of why a public benefit test would be appropriate or not, for any and all religious or charitable organizations before being granted tax exemption.

- If you want your submission to count, then simply read the op (the first post) of the following thread - Yes, it may be long, but if you want to do a good job of your submission, and make it count for something, then it would be a wise thing to read it:
http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?t=18185

- Closing date for submissions is June 18th. (June 17th for those in the USA)

Why is it a day earlier for Americans?

Is it because they know we're smarter?

RogerB

Crusader
Why is it a day earlier for Americans?

Is it because they know we're smarter?

Errrr, umm, if that questions needs be asked, then it is a demonstration that "someone" is not all that smart . . . . . the answer is that the planet is round, and we all live in different parts of it having different times from each other at the same time (if that makes sense :D Confusing, I know, but it makes sense to some of us :D)

Errrr, umm, if that questions needs be asked, then it is a demonstration that "someone" is not all that smart . . . . .

I'll have you know, Rog, that Al routinely scores above the top 1% percentile (for armadillos) on standard IQ tests. :yes:

Mark A. Baker :coolwink:

Now you are insulting armadillos?

Actually a careful parsing of my statement will show nothing explicitly insulting to armadillos in it. For example, no where do I state that the mean intelligence of armadillos is less than the mean intelligence of humans, nor do I state that the maximum recorded intelligence of an armadillo is less than that of a human.

If it isn't written, it isn't true? :whistling:

Mark A. Baker

Lohan2008

Gold Meritorious Patron
5th from bottom

when you get to register, the inquiry you want is 5th from the bottom.

Inquiry: Tax Laws Amendment (Public Benefit Test) Bill 2010.

Carmel

Crusader

AnonKat,

In your title you said "Submission levels are low".

Well, it's too early to measure submission levels (we're not yet two weeks into a four week window), but yes, ya could say that the number of people in the critic community who were intending to do a submission, was low.

However, that now seems to be changing, and people are starting to realize that if they have an opinion that the CofS doesn't deserve tax exempt status, then they do in fact have a point to make in a submission. And of course, that's aside from *reasons* to do one.

Here's hoping all in the critic community will get their submissions in by the due date - While we would/could only have a small percentage of what the CofS will be getting in, ours won't be all the same and/or coming from the same angle, so that will make up for lack of volume, but we also need numbers.

So, the more who 'spread the word' on other lines, the better. Thanks to all who are doing so!:thumbsup:

Megalomaniac

Silver Meritorious Patron
DO NOT post a copy of your submission on ESMB or anywhere else............until AFTER it has been accepted and published by the senate committee. Your submission must not be disclosed to anyone else until *after* it has been accepted and published by the committee..

I accept this as good advice. But I reject the assumption of authority over what original works of my own I may or may not publish.

The Senate's instructions on How to make a submission to a Senate Committee inquiry are self-contradictory on this point.

8. A submission to a committee becomes a committee document, and must not be disclosed to any other person until it has been released ('published') by the committee. Unless you have requested that the submission remain confidential, it is normally published after the committee has received and examined it and authorised its publication. Once a committee has authorised the release of a submission, subsequent publication of it is protected by parliamentary privilege (see below). The content of a submission may be published in another form or for another purpose before the submission is released by the committee, but this publication will not be protected by parliamentary privilege.

I do not see any significant difference between the content of a submission and the submission itself. Perhaps this is meant as a restriction on what the Parliament may publish, not on me.

Anyways, parliamentary privilege sounds like something most people would want.

How to make a submission to a Senate Committee inquiry

10. Making a submission is protected by parliamentary privilege. It is an offence for anyone to try to stop you from making a submission by threats or intimidation. It is an offence for anyone to harass you or discriminate against you because you have made a submission. The content of the submission is also protected but only after the committee has accepted it. This means that what you say in the submission, once the committee has accepted it, cannot be used in court against you or anyone else. More information is available in another brochure, entitled 'Procedures to be observed by Senate committees for the protection of witnesses'.

But, it's not guaranteed.

How to make a submission to a Senate Committee inquiry

11. A committee may reject a submission that is not relevant to its inquiry. In that case the content of the submission is not protected by parliamentary privilege.

For my own submission, I care not for such protection. I state what I state before all, for better or worse.

If there is some other specific reason why this is not allowed, please point it out.

Mac Stevens

Carmel

Crusader
I accept this as good advice. But I reject the assumption of authority over what original works of my own I may or may not publish.

<snip>

For my own submission, I care not for such protection. I state what I state before all, for better or worse.

If there is some other specific reason why this is not allowed, please point it out.

Mac Stevens
We've been advised to not permit the posting of submissions on ESMB for two reasons. One of those is the point about parliamentary privilege, but then there's also another point.

It is a possibility, no matter how remote, that the posting of submissions by members here, before they are published by the committee, *could* result in not only *those* submissions being rejected, but also submissions from others who may have been influenced by them.

Just like always, the CofS could argue everything and anything to put things in their favour.....They may have a hard time of it with this one, but let's not give them anything which they could possibly put a *twist* on, in the first place.

Aside from that, there is "process" set for us to follow. IMO, now is a time to be respectful of that process, if we want our submissions to count.

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor

You can reject all you want Max, and you can also publish anything you choose to without regard to any 'authority' telling you otherwise. But, they can also reject your submission if it violates their terms for acceptable submissions, including requiring that it be previously unpublished.

Either way, but, it'd be silly to go to the trouble of making a submission that doesn't fit their guidelines. And it would waste their and your time, especially if your submission had to be removed later.

It's not about 'authority' here :)

Zinj

Megalomaniac

Silver Meritorious Patron
We've been advised to not permit the posting of submissions on ESMB for two reasons. One of those is the point about parliamentary privilege, but then there's also another point.

But, they can also reject your submission if it violates their terms for acceptable submissions, including requiring that it be previously unpublished.

Either way, but, it'd be silly to go to the trouble of making a submission that doesn't fit their guidelines. And it would waste their and your time, especially if your submission had to be removed later.

I stand corrected. I failed to read all the instructions before I posted my submission here on ESMB (which was deleted by the mods -- ok). I queried the Senior Clerk of Committees ([email protected]). She replied within a day or two. She confirmed what you are saying: "People are indeed free to publish what they wish on the Internet but they cannot expect their publications to be accepted by Committees as Committee documents and granted parliamentary privilege. A submission to a Committee is a document prepared specifically for the Committee and Committees request that those documents should not be released prior to their accepting the document and taking a decision to release it for publication. ". I don't understand the reasons behind this, but I will take up my argument with her, not you. :)

Shortly after her reply, I got a confirmation of receipt of my submission stating that, "your correspondence will not be included in the
Committee's inquiry as a formal submission but it will be made available to the Committee members." This confirmation was identical to what FoTi received Fair enough. :thumbsup:

It is a possibility, no matter how remote, that the posting of submissions by members here, before they are published by the committee, *could* result in not only *those* submissions being rejected, but also submissions from others who may have been influenced by them.

Just like always, the CofS could argue everything and anything to put things in their favour.....They may have a hard time of it with this one, but let's not give them anything which they could possibly put a *twist* on, in the first place.

Aside from that, there is "process" set for us to follow. IMO, now is a time to be respectful of that process, if we want our submissions to count.

Ok. I'm not going to post my submission. If anyone wants to know what I submitted, tell me and I'll copy you directly.

:wave:
Mac