What's new

Fair Work Ombudsman looked into Church of Scientology

Cherished

Silver Meritorious Patron
http://www.news.com.au/breaking-new...h-of-scientology/story-e6frfku0-1225874128083

THE industrial inspectorate has confirmed it is investigating the employment practices of the Church of Scientology.

Fair Work Ombudsman Nicholas Wilson told a Senate estimates hearing it had looked into the controversial religious group but declined to give details.

It is understood opposition frontbencher Eric Abetz wrote to the ombudsman in March with the idea of an inquiry.

The inspectorate has subsequently interviewed Scientology members along the east coast of Australia to establish whether they are being properly remunerated for their church work.

Asked by independent Senator Nick Xenophon if children were working within the organisation, the Fair Work Ombudsman was coy.

"We don't confirm or deny whether that is likely what they're doing," Mr Wilson told the Senate hearing.

"As a matter of policy, the assertion that ... children are underpaid in and of itself means nothing to the investigation.

"What that means in this particular investigation I don't want to say."

The Senate economics committee is expected to hear evidence from former Scientology members in late June.
It is receiving submissions into a possible public benefits test for charitable and religious groups after Senator Xenophon moved a private senator's bill in May.

He had tried unsuccessfully in March to have a Senate inquiry examine the tax-free status of religious groups, including Scientology.

The government and the opposition also used their numbers in the upper house to defeat his call for an inquiry to look at specific allegations against the church made by former Scientologists.

scooter

Gold Meritorious Patron
Nice.:thumbsup:

It's always good to kick an abusive cult when it's down.:yes:

Is there to be other media soon?:happydance:

Carmel

Crusader
:giggle:

The Fair Work Ombudsman Nicholas Wilson may be tight lipped now, but when his office has completed their investigation, he'll be spilling the beans - Can't wait! :happydance:

In the meanwhile, this media is great. :D

Lohan2008

Gold Meritorious Patron
Ombudsman

THE industrial inspectorate has confirmed it is investigating the employment practices of the Church of Scientology.

Fair Work Ombudsman Nicholas Wilson told a Senate estimates hearing it had looked into the controversial religious group but declined to give details.

So if the Ombudsman had not found anything to report, wouldn't she say so?

Feral

Rogue male
Nice to see it in the press.

The WPO is quite serious about performing a thorough investigation into the employment practices of Scientology in Australia.

They are charged with correcting any inequities which is good news for any that feel they've been wronged.

Feral

Rogue male
Does anyone remember those signs that used to in front of the orgs?

Didn't they say "Position vacant. Apply within"?

Does anyone have a photo of one or know what policy it came from?

Carmel

Crusader

So if the Ombudsman had not found anything to report, wouldn't she say so?
The FWO is a "he", and until the investigation is complete, with findings and rec's, it would be totally inappropriate for him to say *anything*.

They are getting the info though, so what do ya reckon? Rest assured, they will have something to say down the track, and meanwhile the media are chomping at the bit over this, waiting and watching.

Incidentally, this FWO invest is *completely* independent of the current inquiry on the tax exempt status......Interesting times 'down under', for exes and CofS alike, except it feels a lot better on one side than the other. :)

Now Hiring is all that comes to mind. Been there for years in my town.
Fold out small sign on the pavement near the entry door. Sign is as old as the crappy Stress Test graphic.

Hmmn. Seems like something major is going down :coolwink:

Carmel

Crusader

They did indeed. I don't have a photo, and I don't know that it was covered in policy, but at least there are a couple of us who have passed on that info including Tim U who has pretty good recall on it all.

In Sydney, when that sign went up, that's when we first started getting non-English speaking staff, or at least staff who couldn't understand English or be understood by Australians.

Anyone out there who could also corroborate this, or who has *any* first hand experience on the matter? If so, could ya please pm Feral, Happy Days, OutEthicsOfficer or myself.

Panda Termint

Cabal Of One
I think you can see the Positions Vacant sign in one of the videos done outside the Castlereagh St org, maybe the Chaser's Gullibility Test one. It's probably in more than a few Anon photos too.

Carmel

Crusader
I think you can see the Positions Vacant sign in one of the videos done outside the Castlereagh St org, maybe the Chaser's Gullibility Test one. It's probably in more than a few Anon photos too.

Ooooohhh! Any chance of you chasing that down?

minnie

Patron with Honors
Here are some images, although the quality is not that good:

From outside the AO:

ao9907-2.jpg

ao9907-3.jpg

Perth org:

m-s-sign.jpg

Sydney org:
http://ocmb.xenu.net/ocmb/viewtopic.php?t=23857&sid=49adf9e49ae7d85661fb581f752592eb (scroll to 2nd photo:has Now Hiring sign on the window)

Last edited:

Panda Termint

Cabal Of One
It's not really apparent in the Chaser Video (Free Gullibility Test) but I've definitely seen it in a video.
Maybe Zhent has pix? I'll look some more when I have time.

ElenaP

Patron
Very good!!! \

DM was talking about some avalanche in his recent events, right? Was he referring to this year, especially this past month? :D