What's new

Understanding LRH

Div6

Crusader
Veda has pointed out (correctly imho) that to understand LRH you need to understand his stated motivations, goals, etc. and points to the "Admissions"
written around 1947 as fertile ground to look. Having read these many years ago, I did not find them all that startling as material. This kind of stuff comes up in sessions of all types in my expericence. I will admit that there is 'shock value', as LRH did shamelessly promote that he had "risen above" the bank, so to those believers it will come as a surprise perhaps.

But I think we need to look even earlier than these to understand the repeating pattern of Hubbard's "power trip". 1938 was the alleged genus point of "Excalibur". The "story" was that LRH "went under" on nitrous oxide in a dental operation, and
found "the akashic records" and was then given a "forgetter" command and "woke up", realizing that the nurse and doctor had thought he was dead.

The story continues that LRH wrote a manuscript from this experience called "excalibur' and said that ANYONE who read it would go insane.

I find it notable that he said the same thing essentially, about his "advanced course materials" 25-30 years later.

Alan would call his 1938 dental operation an "Ascension Experience". It is quite common when one has a "near death experience" or "out of body experience" to feel elated, expanded and want to share the knowledge and awareness of this new view point of Cosmic Consiousness with others. The "New Age" writings are full of such...as are the writings of Christian mystics, the Theosophical Society, the Krishna's and punk rockers (joke).

What is unique, I think is to "sex it up" with the idea that it is lethal.

"She said, I know what it's like to be dead..." - The Beatles

And then again, maybe not.

But once one has achieved "cosmic consciousness" what else is there to do, other than become a monk and preach the word?

"You, who are on the road
Must have a code
That you can live by"
- Teach Your Children CSNY

LRH mentioned 2 more dynamics above the 8 outlined in Scn.

Ethics and Aesthetics. Filbert points out that the Upper Dynamics rule the lower ones ( and he delineates 16 of them).

Ethics, while given much lip service in the CoS, in truth is just an enforcement mechanism in practice. Which is not how ethics is defined, but that would introduce too much cognitive dissonance into the "group mind".

And Aesthetics in the CoS are manufactured behind razor wire fences in a desert compound ruled over by a land locked navy. I am given to understand that there are hundreds, if not thousands of 'advices" having to do with the production of aesthetics that are only available to those locked into the "ethic level" appropriate for such powerful knowledge.

"When threatened with unmocking, a thetan mocks up compulsively" - LRH

Filbert -
"If a person takes a drug, the body feels threatened and the pc reacts by mocking up some bank hard below his awareness level. Drugs, whether it is LSD, marijuana, alcohol, or whatever, produces a threat to the body, like any other poison. The threat is to the body and the thetan reacts by mocking up. He can either mock up an engram, secondary or some combination of fantasy and fact. In some cases, he will mock it up so hard that it will become more real and safer than PT. Thus, under threat, he goes out of PT. A person who needs a Drug Rundown, a person that has taken drugs in other words, has a time track that is not make up of wholly present time events. It is a composite of past track, imagination and present events. Thus, right before your eyes, the person is apparently in the same room as you are, doing the same things you are, but from his point of view, he is really only partially there and he is partially back in some past events, He seems to be there, but he isn't really fully tracking with PT. What is constant in this is that he is not running the same series of events as other people."

So this leads us to the laughable picture of a Naval Captain, sitting in the desert, surrounded by picture making machinery enforcing ethics derived from a drug induced fantasy, compulsively mocking up enemies because of the perception of threats, while trying to control the "believers" through bigger, better and purer "aesthetic productions" :omg:

Can I attest now?

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa
I think the best way to understand Scientology, the Church, and LRH, is to assume LRH's viewpoint and view it.

Be LRH and ask your self these questions:

How do I see this Church I've built, and the people who attend it, and who work for me?

What am I trying to accomplish day to day with the many actions I have taken?

What are the obstacles I face to getting these things done?

What solutions do I think up to overcome those obstacles?

What do I preach vs. what do I do?

How do I see others in order to do these things?

What things did I never correct and leave standing the whole time I was alive in Scientology, despite my writings and lectures? Why?

If you can see all these things from his viewpoint - and how he was "right" in doing these things - and then step out of his viewpoint and see those things from your own viewpoint, then you can understand LRH.

It takes some confront.

Tanstaafl

Crusader
I think you just AS-Ised this thread Alanzo....:)

Then justice action must be taken.

Stats depend on posts and posts depend on threads.
Threatening the survival potential of a thread is a serious matter.

I vote for an expulsion sufficiently long than someone can get to the next status level before Alanzo! :)

Any seconders?

Div6

Crusader
Then justice action must be taken.

Stats depend on posts and posts depend on threads.
Threatening the survival potential of a thread is a serious matter.

I vote for an expulsion sufficiently long than someone can get to the next status level before Alanzo! :)

Any seconders?

Dude....

I don;t know what kind of psych implanted justice system you have going on, but the "natural" law is that the punishment must fit the crime.

If my threads are that easy to as-is, then I need to work on lying, altering and obfuscating....

Maybe dock him 20 posts....

Tanstaafl

Crusader
Maybe dock him 2000 posts....

2,000!
Well, I have to say I think that's pretty lenient Div 6, however, I'm willing to accede to the wishes of the majority.

Now what were you saying about "need to work on lying, altering and obfuscating...."? :D

Veda

Sponsor
A few minor points...

The 1946 'Affirmations', also called 'The Admissions', were not the only 'Affirmations'. There are other earlier 'Affirmations'.

Filbert forwarded the myth, and mystique, initiated by Hubbard, regarding the 1938 'Excalibur'.

The words of 'Excalibur' are reflected in a portion of 1950 'Dianetics' (some of the theory part), parts of 'Problems of Work', and the Introduction of 'Self Analysis', and a few other places.

Mostly the "realization" of 'Excalibur' was that "survival!" replaced conscience, and any other form of inspiration or motivation.

Being a trickster, Hubbard was going to make a "scheme" out of his "discovery" (previously known as the 'Will to Live'). Hubbard was going to identify, in people's minds, himself - his name, his words, his "legend," etc. - with their "survival!" (Keeping in mind that survival meant pleasure, and non-survival meant pain, or the promise/threat of pleasure, pain, etc.)

One text that may have influenced Hubbard, previous to his writing of the 1938 'Excalibur' was this odd book - 'Jefferson and/or Mussolini' - by Ezra Pound:

http://yamaguchy.netfirms.com/7897401/pound_ezra/jeffmuss.html

'Excalibur' was about as 'spiritual' as the writings of Friedrich Nietzsche.

Contains excerpts from a letter, written shortly after 'Excalibur':

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?t=1090

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showpost.php?p=37634&postcount=2

Last edited:

Div6

Crusader
2,000!
Well, I have to say I think that's pretty lenient Div 6, however, I'm willing to accede to the wishes of the majority.

Now what were you saying about "need to work on lying, altering and obfuscating...."? :D

Pass.....:thumbsup:

Div6

Crusader
A few minor points...

The 1946 'Affirmations', also called 'The Admissions', were not the only 'Affirmations'. There are other earlier 'Affirmations'.

Filbert forwarded the myth, and mystique, initiated by Hubbard, regarding the 1938 'Excalibur'.

The words of 'Excalibur' are reflected in a portion of 1950 'Dianetics' (some of the theory part), parts of 'Problems of Work', and the Introduction of 'Self Analysis', and a few other places.

Mostly the "realization" of 'Excalibur' was that "survival!" replaced conscience, and any other form of inspiration or motivation.

Being a trickster, Hubbard was going to make a "scheme" out of his "discovery" (previously known as the 'Will to Live'). Hubbard was going to identify, in people's minds, himself - his name, his words, his "legend," etc. - with their "survival!" (Keeping in mind that survival meant pleasure, and non-survival meant pain, or the promise/threat of pleasure, pain, etc.)

One text that may have influenced Hubbard, previous to his writing of the 1938 'Excalibur' was this odd book - 'Jefferson and/or Mussolini' - by Ezra Pound:

Interesting. Of course, this raises more questions for me.
Are there any copies of the earlier "Affirmations" extant?
Are there any copies of Excalibur extant?
I am not doubting your word as to the "dilution" of Excalibur into other derivative works, but what can I say? I like to "look". :whistling:

This is an interesting idea re: the Ezra Pound manuscript. wish I had more optic bandwidth...this 10 MB human pipe just seems so "slow"...But I am curious as to what possible influence you are suggesting. Pound was an "anti-central banker", who espoused the idea that the central bankers created WWI and II to drive up national debt to unsustainable levels for their profit. Like what was alluded to in RJ67...
He also was a propagandist for the Axis powers during WWII, which to my mind explains in part the juxtaposition of Jefferson and Mussolini as an application of "positioning" tech. So I find this curious....

Thanks.

Last edited:

Ralph Hilton

Patron Meritorious
I find a lot of it workable. Hitler built some good roads and railways.
There is a lot I don't know about Hubbard. I see good results with what I use but am ever wary of pitfalls.
I think he was an intelligent man in some ways. Perhaps he wanted to create a bridge to create controllable OTs.
So the control bits have to be culled out from the bridge bits.
He was certainly quite antipathetic to anyone who seemed to be approaching comparable strength to his self image.
Many geniuses in the past have had their crazy streaks.

Last edited:

Colleen K. Peltomaa

Silver Meritorious Patron
I find a lot of it workable. Hitler built some good roads and railways.
There is a lot I don't know about Hubbard. I see good results with what I use but am ever wary of pitfalls.
I think he was an intelligent man in some ways. Perhaps he wanted to create a bridge to create controllable OTs.
So the control bits have to be culled out from the bridge bits.
He was certainly quite antipathetic to anyone who seemed to be approaching comparable strength to his self image.
Many geniuses in the past have had their crazy streaks.

Thanks for that balanced answer. Before I came into Scientology I had a very well developed truth detector because I read tons of that metaphysics stuff. When I decided that LRH had compiled it all and put all the truth and nothing but the truth together I relaxed. Truth detector is now out of mothballs and being applied to anything and everything that bugger said.

Ralph, can you give any specific examples of tech that you have determined is still fine?

Veda

Sponsor
A few minor points...

Some more info on 'Excalibur' from Gerry Armstrong, who read 'Excalibur' while working with Omar Garrison on the ill-fated official LRH biography (book) project:

http://www.skeptictank.org/astrong7.htm

http://www.xenutv.com/int/secretlives.htm

As I recall, the 'Secret Lives' interview contains a little bit more than the transcriptions.

Even the current beleaguered "LRH biographer" (Official biographer #3), Dan Sherman, had some inadvertently revealing things to say about 'Excalibur' in one of the 'Ron Series' coffee table books.

Still, for me, the most interesting item is the August 1938 letter, written by Hubbard to his first wife, part of which is included in two of the above links (top post), and there is also a brief further discussion in both the essay, 'Sly and Tall Edgy Lurks', and in the paper, 'Brainwashing Manual Parallels' ('Layer 6'). (See Websites section.)

This would have all been much simpler if Hubbard had just been on the level.

Ralph Hilton

Patron Meritorious
Thanks for that balanced answer. Before I came into Scientology I had a very well developed truth detector because I read tons of that metaphysics stuff. When I decided that LRH had compiled it all and put all the truth and nothing but the truth together I relaxed. Truth detector is now out of mothballs and being applied to anything and everything that bugger said.

Ralph, can you give any specific examples of tech that you have determined is still fine?

Most of it seems fine. It seems that a lot of the control is introduced organizationally. The heavy ethics produces robotic auditors afraid to make mistakes who then need robotic GAT training to do anything. So the solution becomes the problem needing another solution that in itself becomes a problem.
Validation is used to control as a person accepts the source of validation as having the power to evaluate and thus becomes powerless against later invalidation. Status oriented people are easy to control with the threat of removal of status.
Positive processing is lacking on the upper bridge. A balance is needed.
Sec checking has a very limited application and rarely below grade 2.
The Sea Org is a dramatization of OT3 and needs to be removed from the scene.
It all those points were fixed then we'd be in a better position to re-evaluate what actually works.

nw2394

It all those points were fixed then we'd be in a better position to re-evaluate what actually works.

I am not sure that I agree with that.

In the FZ there is no Sea Org.

Sec Checking, though over used in the CoS, is perhaps under used outside.

People are free to use positive processing if they wanted at whatever level.

All that shit that about the CoS using control by validation is not applicable in the FZ. People find whatever guru they want and so on.

There has been sufficient time for many in the FZ to observe what is workable.

Nick

Colleen K. Peltomaa

Most of it seems fine. It seems that a lot of the control is introduced organizationally. The heavy ethics produces robotic auditors afraid to make mistakes who then need robotic GAT training to do anything. So the solution becomes the problem needing another solution that in itself becomes a problem.
Validation is used to control as a person accepts the source of validation as having the power to evaluate and thus becomes powerless against later invalidation. Status oriented people are easy to control with the threat of removal of status.
Positive processing is lacking on the upper bridge. A balance is needed.
Sec checking has a very limited application and rarely below grade 2.
The Sea Org is a dramatization of OT3 and needs to be removed from the scene.

Thank you for the answer. Do you feel that in the Freezone you and others are free to re-evaluate what actually works? Have you yourself begun re-evaluating what actually works?

Ralph Hilton

Patron Meritorious
I see that some individuals in the FZ can evaluate what works for them. Most if not all of the things I've dropped personally have been excessive prerequisites and stops. I can see that the OT levels, as they stand, do not produce the states that used to be stated on the grade chart. OT3 does not produce "Freedom from Overwhelm". I've been studying a lot of the early positivite processing used in the 50s and am looking at putting together an ACC hopefully in the not too distant future. A lot of LRH's early research was based on working with a number of co-audits in a group situation. That's where I think development of actual OT states could become real.