What's new

Let's redefine Hubbard's redefinitions! Taking back our language!

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
Quite a few people have shared with me and have posted here and there about the fact that LRH redefined much of English (which, I realize, got translated and transported into other languages. Please forgive my American arrogance. I do realize that not everyone speaks English or has it as their first language.). When I wrote "Trigger phrases that still freak us out" I was thinking of that. To this day, there are phrases and words in Scn that affect me, weird me out, etc- and seem to produce this effect in others.

Well, why not take back our own. Let's come up with some redefined or appropriated words/terms by Hubbard and make them our own again.

I'll start:

"To have reality ("R") on...(something)" (Scn phrase)

How about:

Frame of reference
context

"open minded"- Scn sense

Gullible
Credible

or go another way on it:

"Open minded"- just use it proudly in the non Scn sense of the phrase, as in
"Jane is open minded about Susan's tendency to wear uber trendy apparel."

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
I'll start:

"To have reality ("R") on...(something)" (Scn phrase)

How about:

Frame of reference
context

"open minded"- Scn sense

Gullible
Credible

or go another way on it:

"Open minded"- just use it proudly in the non Scn sense of the phrase, as in
"Jane is open minded about Susan's tendency to wear uber trendy apparel."

Couple of differences;

There *is* no 'wog' term for 'has reality on' as used in Scientology. What it means though is 'shares my beliefs and assumptions. Or; 'Party Line True'. Or; 'Agrees with Me'.

1984's 'Newspeak' has 'Goodthink'.

"Goodthink, a term from Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell, is a Newspeak word signifying a set of thoughts and beliefs that is in accordance with those established by the Party.

In the rules of Newspeak, the noun stem (which also serves as a verb) can become the adjective goodthinkful, the adverb goodthinkwise, the past participle goodthinked, and the gerund goodthinking. Additionally, one who is "goodthinkful" is referred to as a goodthinker."

However, 'have reality on' is used far less frequently than 'Does not have reality on', as in, 'He doesn't have any reality on Ron as Humanity's Best Friend. 'He doesn't have reality on Past Lives'. 'He doesn't have reality on OT(Clear) etc.' Another way to put it would be 'He's not buying 'it''

Open Mind is more complicated though, since there *is* a wog phrase, which means more or less 'is willing to consider...' But, it's *not* about being gullible or 'credulous' as used in Scientology. There it's about *Not* being dogmatic and rigid enough to reject any concept that varies from a Scientology 'stable datum' out of hand.

Very much 'ungoodthinking'.

Zinj

Ogsonofgroo

Crusader
Good Gord yes, start with anything '-ingness' at the end~ :duh: English is/was one of the most expressive languages we have on the planet, his creation of new and wonderful terms is an abomination to common sense and education imho. (but he needed it for his method of entrapment). The mangling of direct thoughts was one of his petchants.
My opinion.

Pepin

Patron with Honors
Quite a few people have shared with me and have posted here and there about the fact that LRH redefined much of English (which, I realize, got translated and transported into other languages. Please forgive my American arrogance. I do realize that not everyone speaks English or has it as their first language.).

In an old film, Hubbard stands with the sci dictionary and suggest it is not HE who invented most of the words, but the "church" itself.
I found it curious when he said " These words THEY made up and put in here"

Mystic

Crusader
I highly, highly recommend "discard" instead of "redefine". That way you can arrive at Natural Law. The whole purpose of Hubbard-thing was to mask Truth.

Tiger Lily

Gold Meritorious Patron
I definitely like the idea of "discard", but I also know how hard it was to not use those terms at first. I remember mentally searching for alternative English terms to replace my Scientologese, and I think to post an English alternative is a good thing (where possible; I do agree with Zinj that some of the Scientologese represents concepts that have no English alternative and that we don't need any more and are potentially harmful concepts -- like "PTS" for example -- stuff like that should just be dropped).

I think it's like unlearning a language -- at first you art still thinking in your "implanted" Scientologese, and to break that, initailly, you want to find replacement words or phrases that aren't Scientologese. Once you get used to not using those Scienotoly phrases, then eventually the "discard" happens automatically.

themadhair

Patron Meritorious
I highly, highly recommend "discard" instead of "redefine.
This doesn’t address the underlying problem. In many discussions I use the term ‘reality’ in line with its English meaning. When discussing on Scientology related boards I have to avoid that word like the plague due to its very different meaning within Scientology.

OP has a good idea in that, by reclaiming words along with their proper meanings, you help neutralise the sting in many of the Scientology concepts. Might be a decent way to unprogram.

Mest Lover

Not Sea Org Qualified
Lock Nessy

adding "ness" to anythingness does not prove clarity, only sheeperyness.

Oh wait, unless you use it sarcasticlynessly to test for SCNness in your general vicinity.

Infinite

Troublesome Internet Fringe Dweller
required reading

Although lots of fun, your game touches on an instrumental part of the Scientology mind-fuck, namely: the twisting of language so as to twist thinking. For a general overview of how it works, this is a good primer:

http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/ciencia/matrix_brainwashing/index.htm#Contents_

You are somewhere indoors. At the very moment or right after you have reached an important conclusion about yourself, or your life, or your beloved wife (husband), or even about THEIR manipulation of you, someone providentially touches the light switch and so the light goes off for a moment.

You must educate yourself NOT to think of anything BECAUSE of the light. Remember : the problem was in the light, NOT in your head. THAT person caused the problem, NOT you.

So visualize, and keep on visualizing : "DOUBT FISHING". If you wanna reinforce it, you may alternate mentalizing together : "NO TIME FOR DOUBT", "ASSOCIATION OF IDEAS" and "DON'T THINK".

And if, even so, you catch yourself thinking of something, STOP thinking, and start over using the classical technique : "WHO TOUCHED THE LIGHT SWITCH ? HE (SHE) TOUCHED, NOT YOU. SO THAT'S HIS/HER LIFE, NOT YOURS. HE/SHE MUST HAVE LIFE PROBLEMS, NOT YOU. ARE YOU A LAMP ? IN WHICH FACTORY HAVE YOU BEEN MADE ?", and so on.

Mystic

Crusader
This doesn’t address the underlying problem. In many discussions I use the term ‘reality’ in line with its English meaning. When discussing on Scientology related boards I have to avoid that word like the plague due to its very different meaning within Scientology.

OP has a good idea in that, by reclaiming words along with their proper meanings, you help neutralise the sting in many of the Scientology concepts. Might be a decent way to unprogram.

That's cool, themadhair. Personally I don't have an underlying problem, just an open freedom.

Good Gord yes, start with anything '-ingness' at the end~ :duh: English is/was one of the most expressive languages we have on the planet, his creation of new and wonderful terms is an abomination to common sense and education imho. (but he needed it for his method of entrapment). The mangling of direct thoughts was one of his petchants.
My opinion.

Yeah, it's just "being"... there is no ness about it! :yes:

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free
"dev't " anyone? different contexts as well. I'm too tired to think right now but I didn't want to forget that one. Any suggestions?

Mary

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
Hi, Mystic,

I suspect that this situation affects various people in different ways. Now, me, I always had a non Scn job and a Mom who was A) Very well educated and B) not in Scn. So she'd go "for god's sake, speak English". So I did.

BUT...I do sometimes feel like I'm flailing away trying to not use Scn speak. Like my first inclination is to go "Ok, let me give you some "R" on that." So for me, at least, having a sort of internal glossary seems to help.