What's new

The Anatomy of a LRH Apologist: Steve Hall of Scientology-cult.com

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa
I've seen those quotes many times, but hadn't realized till I looked him up now that Miles Hollister was Sara Northrup's later husband:

"Sara Elizabeth Bruce Northrup Hollister (born April 8, 1924 at Pasadena, California; died December 19, 1997 at Hadley, Massachusetts[1]) was the second wife of L. Ron Hubbard, from 1946 to 1951, and wife of Miles Hollister from 1951 to her death in 1997.[2] She had one daughter, Alexis Valerie, fathered by Hubbard in 1948.

Sara Northrup was a major figure in the Pasadena branch of the Ordo Templi Orientis (OTO), a society founded by the English occultist Aleister Crowley. From 1941 to 1945 she had a turbulent relationship with Jack Parsons, the head of the Pasadena OTO, who was married to her sister Helen. Although she was a committed member of the OTO, to whom she was known as "Soror [Sister] Cassap", she acquired a reputation for disruptiveness that prompted Crowley to denounce her as a "vampire".

She began a relationship with L. Ron Hubbard, whom she met through the OTO, in 1945. It led to the couple eloping with a substantial amount of Jack Parsons' life savings and marrying bigamously a year later while Hubbard was still married to his first wife Margaret. Sara played a significant role in the development of Dianetics, Hubbard's "modern science of mental health", between 1948 and 1951, during which time she was Hubbard's personal auditor and one of the seven members of the Dianetics Foundation's Board of Directors, alongside Hubbard himself. However, their marriage broke up in extremely acrimonious circumstances amid accusations of kidnapping and Communist plots, which prompted lurid headlines in the Los Angeles newspapers. She subsequently married one of Hubbard's former employees, Miles Hollister, and moved to Hawaii and later Massachusetts."

Hilarious that Ron calls her the 'housekeeper' at Parson's house, where Parsons, who was married to her sister, had her as a girlfriend till Ron ran off with her.

Yeah; that was some scary conspiracy against you Ronny Boy :)

Zinj

Didn't you know?

The only reason Ron was there was to break up a Satanic cult and save the girl.

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa

Veda

Sponsor
L. Ron Hubbard, from his confidential issue, 'Intelligence Actions - Covert Intelligence Data Collection' of 1969, concerning the worldwide Communist psychiatric conspiracy against him, which, incidentally, with the shifting in public opinion in 1971, during the Vietnam war, was changed, by Hubbard, to the worldwide Nazi psychiatric conspiracy against him:

"Their first blast was the San Francisco papers, Sept 1950, quoting the publisher (of Book One) Ceppos being critical of me (he was a communist) followed by the LA papers, pushed then by the Sara Komkovadamanov (alias Northrup) 'divorce' actions, followed by attempted kidnapping of myself. Other details were pushed into it including murder of four and so on. This was a full complete covert operation. At the back of it was Miles Hollister (psychology student), Sara Komkovadamanov (housekeeper at the place nuclear physicist stayed near Caltech)..."

1972 letter from Sara Northrup to author Paulette Cooper. This letter was found in a file cabinet in a Scientology Org, after the issuing of search warrants by the FBI, in 1977. It had been stolen from Paulette Cooper's apartment, in New York, some years earlier by Scientology: http://forums.whyweprotest.net/951296-post1

One of Hubbard's many letters to the FBI accusing people of being Communists. Sara Northrup Hubbard is listed by Hubbard:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9d/Sara_Hubbard_denunciation_p1.gif

'Secret Lives' program:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCWRbgIkFJ8

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
So, Steve Hall's 'huge conspiracy against Ron' doesn't appear to be a hill of beans, but, wait, I'm sure he wasn't talking about *these* conspiracies! It was the Government and Interpol and International Communism!

Ummm... any 'proof' of that?

Ans; why sure, it's the same people who tampered with Ron's War Record and deleted everything about his awards and Intelligence activity...

Huh? Do you have any evidence for that?

Ans: It's been *removed*!! Don't you get it! That's the *proof*!!!

Zinj

Feral

Rogue male
You've got to admit, he did have one fertile imagination!

Hubbard, from the 1969 confidential issue, 'Intelligence Actions, Covert Intelligence Data Collection':

"The objective of the enemy is to discredit...

"Their first blast was the San Francisco papers, Sept. 1950, quoting the publisher (of Book One) Ceppos being critical of me (he was a communist) followed by the LA papers, pushed then by Sara Komkovadamanov (alias Northrup) 'divorce' actions, followed by attempted kidnapping of myself. Other details were pushed into it including murder of four and so on. This was a full complete covert operation. At the back of it was Miles Hollister (psychology student), Sara Komkovadamanov (housekeeper at the place nuclear physicists stayed near Cal tech), Gene Benton and his wife -President of the Young Communists League...

"This was a full war against Dianetics."

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
You've got to admit, he did have one fertile imagination!

Hubbard, from the 1969 confidential issue, 'Intelligence Actions, Covert Intelligence Data Collection': <snip>

I guess Hubbard must have just thought that no-one would ever compile all this shit and compare notes. Kinda like having a few wives in different parts of the country. It might have worked in a world without the Internet.

Paul

Smilla

Ordinary Human
Scientology was a cult right from the get-go. It was designed that way, either by accident at first or by the greedy and evil aspirations of hubbard, whether he was conscious of these motives or not. It all really started with Dianetics, the Modern Method of Indoctrination (DMMI). :confused2:

Actually, I think I'll work on that acronym, DMMI is too far off as an acronym but right on target for the beginner's guide to a self-inflicted mental straight jacket. :confused2:

I like to think of it as the Modern Science of Self-Importance. One of the reasons it is so good at trapping people is that appeals to people's vanity.

Veda

Sponsor
Hubbard instructed that Scientology should "use enemy tactics" on the enemy, and proceeded to do so. He told Scientologists that Scientology was subject to a planet wide conspiracy, so he constructed Scientology on the conspiratorial (similar to organized crime) model. My guess is that he would have done so anyway, as his primary "covert operation" was "run" not on outsiders, but on the Scientology membership itself.

The 12 February 1967 Policy Letter 'Admin Know-How, the Responsibility of Leaders' -a.k.a. The Bolivar Policy Letter - on the topic of how a subordinate should relate to his "power" (i.e. Hubbard and the "Organization."):

"[The power asks] 'What are those dead bodies doing at the door'. And if you [the subordinate] are clever, you never let it be known HE [the power] killed them - that weakens you and also hurts the power source. 'Well, boss about all those dead bodies, nobody at all will suppose you did it. She over there, those pink legs sticking out, didn't like me'. 'Well', he'll say if he really is a power, 'Why are you bothering me with it if it's done and you did it. Where's my blue ink?...

"...always push power in the direction of anyone on whose power you depend. It may be more money for the power, or more ease, or a snarling defense of the power to the critic, or even the dull thud of one of his enemies in the dark, or the glorious blaze of a whole enemy camp as a birthday surprise...

"...Real powers are developed by tight conspiracies of this kind... and if they are right and also manage their man [the power] and keep him from collapsing from overwork, bad temper or bad data, a kind of juggernaut builds up." [Juggernaut: "A large overwhelming powerful object or institution."]

So, Steve Hall's 'huge conspiracy against Ron' doesn't appear to be a hill of beans, but, wait, I'm sure he wasn't talking about *these* conspiracies! It was the Government and Interpol and International Communism!

-snip-

But Paulette Cooper was corresponding with Russian secret agent (later Nazi secret agent) Sara Komkovadamanov - so Cooper was part of the bigger conspiracy.

When I had a chance to look at some of the files in the G.O years ago (only newspaper clippings, photocopied records, reports etc. of people - to me insignificant - that they were watching/spying on) it seemed so petty. Shouldn't Scientology be battling the big guys? Why so much time spent on these little guys who could best be ignored? Apparently, because the little guys were seen as knowing or unknowing agents of the larger anti-LRH/anti-Scientology conspiracy.

To the Scientological mind, Paulette Cooper (perhaps the best known, but there were many others unnamed) was part of the bigger conspiracy.

Sharone Stainforth

Silver Meritorious Patron
Paulette Cooper went to hell and back, there is no doubt about it.

When I think of all the written testimony I have read through, all the videos I have watched, all the heart breaking stories I have heard first hand by people who have lived through this shit and not even known the half of it.

When I think of my own childhood in scientology and beyond into the sea org, when I think of my own Father and the fact that he is so incapable of living any kind of life and has not been able to do so for so many years. 40 years and he's still so indoctrinated it's unbelievable.He thinks he is the keeper of lost souls. He IS the lost soul.

I have tried so hard, so hard to get through to him, there IS no getting through. No getting through at all.

It's like talking to a complete brick wall.

Have you ever talked to a brick wall, talk to a scientologist, thats what you are talking to.

freethinker

Sponsor
They don't say anything bad about Hubbard because Hubbard never did any thing to them personally.

Also, their fans wouldn't like it.

The Int Base Escapees is a term I will use from now on to refer to those former members who were part of the International Management of the Church of Scientology, and who have come out recently to write books, set up blogs, and decry how evil David Miscavige is.

They are Amy Scobee, Jeff Hawkins, Marty Rathbun, Mike Rinder, Steve Hall and others who, generally hold differing views but never challenge each other publicly. They are united in one thing: making David Miscavige look as bad as possible.

They are also united in another thing: Never saying anything that would show a negative light on L Ron Hubbard.

I believe that many of them, privately, have a lot of negative things to say about L Ron Hubbard. But they seem to have all agreed to never air these views publicly. They seem to all agree that David Miscavige is the problem with Scientology, and the target is ALWAYS DAVID MISCAVIGE.

I don't think this is very honest, or respectable. I think this pre-arranged PR front from these guys hinders a person's recovery from an abusive brainwashing cult.

I used to call these people "Int Base Psychos". That came from being a mission staff member of 7.5 years, working for free, and having these guys as my ultimate seniors. The idea that I worked for a group for so many years for free that was actively engaged in beating each other up, and so much more insane crap: whether doing the beating themselves, witnessing it and doing nothing, or simply being beaten and doing nothing - is pretty upsetting. That behavior is psycho behavior and unbelievably unethical.

No other organization in Scientology regularly beat people up - only these people from Int Management did. Sometimes, as Bea Kiddo writes about here on ESMB, an Int Base psycho would come to CC and slap someone. But for the most part this psycho behavior contained itself to the Int Base - the Ecclesiastical Leaders of the Scientology Religion.

It tells me that these people, even as Sea Org Staff, created an environment different than most. It tells me that they went WAY more psycho than the rest of us, while pretending the "ethics presence" to tell me and other staff members like me what to do, how to think, how to be "ethical" and "upstat" and who I could talk to, what I could read, write and say, where I could work and how much money I could make.

I'm sorry for feeling this way. But I just do not have respect for this kind of thing. And neither do they, obviously. They are out and writing about it and this is all good.

But they are no kind of leaders of anything, in my opinion.

Sorry. But that's how I see it.

And the fact that they have all gotten together to decide upon a unified PR front is not making me respect them more, or see them as any kind of leader of anything still: It is not ethical to continue the Scientology brainwashing, or to create an environment where that brainwashing keeps a hold of a person's psyche.

I understand what they are doing. They are trying to be as effective as they possibly can in making David Miscavige look as bad as possible. And that is good.

But the PR front is not right. It is not helpful.

And it is not ethical to the people who look to them for help.

Nonetheless, I am not going to call them "Int Base Psychos" any more. To me, they are now the "Int Base Escapees". And they have as much work to do as any of us in coming out of the brainwashing cult of the Church of Scientology, probably more.

This is not to say that the books and the articles and everything else have not been helpful.

They have been.

But the continued allowance of the indoctrination of Scientologists is not right.

And in my opinion, it needs to cease.

Stat

Gold Meritorious Patron
I wish more people who personally met Hubbard and knew him really well came out and enlightened us all now in 2010. People like Mayo and Broeker, I suppose. But I guess they are too scared or something. Or something. Have a nice life you two. Hope you found the way to live with yourself.
P.S. Oh, I forgot, as an advanced OT's you can always spot the source of enthurbulation and stay away from it. Never mind. Peace.
P.P.S. On the second thought, aren't you SP's too? We can be one happy SP family. But you probably signed too many papers or what.
Disregard. Them lawyers.

Dean Blair

Silver Meritorious Patron
Have all of you read the book "Madman or Messiah" by Bent Corydon? I started it last night and am nearly done with it. I don't see how anyone who has read it could ever think L Ron Hubbard was innocent. I was in Scientology since 1969 and said hasta lavista in 2009.

Veda

Sponsor
Here are some things related to the book 'L. Ron Hubbard, Messiah or Madman?' - an excerpt from the 'Scientological Onion' chapter in the 2nd and 3rd editions, and an extension and elaboration on its 'Brainwashing Manual' chapter http://www.xenu-directory.net/writings/brainwashing-corydon.html , plus an excerpt from the book flap of the 3rd edition.

The only available scan of the book is of the rush-to-print ("emergency") 1987 edition (link above) and is not a very good scan.

'Brainwashing Manual Parallels in Scientology', a.k.a. 'Revisiting the Textbook on Psycho-politics'

Contents

Examining the 'Brainwashing Manual' with the purpose of better understanding Scientology 4

Introduction: A Brief Outline of Scientology Doctrine, Public and Confidential 6

"White Scientology" - The Battle Tactics Doctrine - Brainwashing Manual Tech - Scientology is Multi-layered - Exploiting the Positives: the Cheese in the Trap -

Background 9

Origin of the word "brainwashing." and of the "Russian Brainwashing Manual"
L. Ron Hubbard writing to Scientologists on the subject of the Brainwashing Manual
Departing briefly from the Manual: A look at private tactics later shared with insiders
A publicized statement
A private explanation
Hubbard vs. the "Asiatic Hordes"
Back to the Brainwashing Manual: Excerpts from Hubbard's third public statement on it
Kenneth Goff's 1956 version of the Manual
Scientology's "No-answer answers."

Excerpts from the Brainwashing Manual/Textbook on Psycho-politics 14

"Editorial Note": Hubbard. assuming the guise of the phantasmal "Charles Stickley"
"An Address by Beria": Hubbard, pretending to be Lavrenti Beria, chief of the Russian Secret Police
The Main Text of the Manual: Hubbard, masquerading as an arrogant Russain Brainwashing expert
"Pain-Drug-Hypnosis"

The Layers of The "Scientological Onion" 17

Brainwashing Manual Parallels in Modern Scientology 19

Correspondences between the Brainwashing Manual and the Battle Tactics policy
On “Survival”
On Surviving the Atomic Bomb
On an individual Scientologist influencing leaders
Scientology is devious by design

Front Groups - Layer Zero of the “Scientological Onion.” 20

“It is not necessary that the term ‘Communism’ [Scientology] be applied at first…”

Layer One - The publicized portion of Scientology 23

“White Scientology”
Scenario: (An application of “White Scientology”)
“By reason alone”
Auditing

Descending into Layer Two of the “Onion”: The “In-Organization” Strata 27

“…[Scientology] under the guise of [‘White Scientology’]…”
Exploitation of the process of abreaction
Playing one thing off another or “counter-playing”
“Loaded language”: the seemingly enlightened “counter-played” with the manipulative
Tone 4, “entheta,” “theta,” Suppressive Person
The Thought Limiting clichés of Scientology
Publicized, “In-organization” and Confidential Scientology “Ethics”
“…aligning the individual against the desire not to conform…”
Side effects of “critical thoughts”
Dominion over the loyalties of individuals

Layer Three of the “Onion”: The Confidential “Upper Levels” of the “Bridge to Total Freedom” 33

“…avoid the understanding of the layman…”
Highest of the “upper levels” must remain a mystery to the membership
Operating Thetan or O.T.
Aleister Crowley, Head of the O.T.O.
O.T. III, The “Wall of Fire” into which Hubbard “took the plunge” to save Mankind
Exploitation of the paranormal

Layer Four: “…a well trained individual who serves in complete obedience…”
The Sea Organization, the Rehabilitation Project Force, and the Five Card System 36

The Sea Organization: “Custodians of the O.T. Levels”
“…the only loyalty which should exist… is to the State [Scientology].”
Sea Org Ethics under Commodore Hubbard on the Flagship
“Refusal to let them sleep over many days…”
The Rehabilitation Project Force
“Filthy food, little sleep, nearly untenable quarters…”
“…the first loyalty [to himself]… is destroyed…”
“Degradation and conquest…”
The children’s and teenagers’ RPF
“A certain amount of fear…”
The RPF’s RPF
The Five Card “Team Share” System
“The technologies of psycho-politics…”

Layer Five: Confidential Scientology Policy and Tech for “handling” uncooperative outsiders 46

The Fair Game policy and “philosophy”
“…find or manufacture enough threat…”
“Direct the attention of the authorities…”
Scientology’s unscrupulous use of the legal system
“We will no longer put up with our religion being criticized…”
Discourage inquiry
Defamatory data on file; “Culling”: Searching “religious confessional” (auditing) files for embarrassing or intimidating items
Background: The Commodore’s Intelligence Network
The policy of covert attack and publicized PR “defense lines”
Scientology’s Multi-layered Public Relations tech
Scientology Intelligence tech
Data collecting, and Attack or “support” Intelligence
Creating incidents that reflect badly on others
“Data needed by Ops on each located who”
Attack or “support” Intelligence - The Covert Ops study course and checklist
“Persons in his vicinity to whom he is emotionally involved…”
Coerce them into signing prepared “retractions” or “confessions”
Plenty of bogus “documentation”
One justification for unscrupulous covert methods
Treatment of VIPs and celebrities
Goal of talking over “mental health” and “political guidance”
Full knowledge of Intelligence tech must be denied to the general membership
“Deception, chicanery, lying, manipulation and outright criminality”
“She over there, those pink legs sticking out, didn’t like me”
Scientologists believe in a planet-wide conspiracy against L. Ron Hubbard and Scientology
The Scientology Hierarchy

Layer Six: The Core of the “Scientological Onion” 69

“…virtually a pathological liar…egotism… lust for power, and vindictiveness…”
“We must be like the vine upon the tree…”
The elusive “1000 page” official L. Ron Hubbard biography
“It’s a trap not being able to prevaricate”
Conscience as an “impediment”
The L. Ron Hubbard Fan(atic) club

Epilogue 74

Freeing the Positives

Addendum 76

"Dr. Hubbard's" FBI letters written concurrent with the appearance of the Brainwashing Manual 77

L. Ron Hubbard assumes the identity of Dr. Hubbard Ph.D DD - Patriotic Concerned Citizen
Letter of 29 July 1955
From a letter dated 7 September

A further look at Scientology's Covert Intelligence Tech 79

"Categories of Data Needing Coding"
A glimpse at a covert operation, and of public strata "policy" used as a cover for applied covert policy
An example of public strata "policy" used as "cover" - this time used on Scientologists by Scientology
"Ops Planning"
What to "Vet" or delete from sensitive internal messages that may be scrutinized by outsiders

Bibliography 82

Notes 87

The Scientological Onion http://exscn.net/content/view/178/105

(Excerpted from the Addendum section of L. Ron Hubbard, Messiah or Madman?, 2nd and 3rd editions. This is the shortened version that appears in Brainwashing Manual Parallels in Scientology)

Scientology could be described as a "layers of the onion" operation.

The outermost layer of the "Scientological Onion" is not identifiable with Scientology at all, being composed of front groups that conceal their connection to -and control by - the Scientology organization. Front groups might be said to constitute Layer Zero: a place where the tentacles of Scientology can grope incognito.

The first layer of the Scientological Onion is meant to be very visible...

Layer One includes Scientology's pampered clique of celebrities, and various public relations ploys. It reverberates with noble sounding sentiments about creating a better world. Scientology seeks to equate itself, and its founder, with anything broadly viewed as desirable or good. A little further along, this layer would include introductory courses with the stated aim of "knowing oneself" and "being free."

Here exist the potentially beneficial aspects of the many masked Scientology operation. The tragedy of Scientology is that the "positives" are used as "window dressing" and "bait on the hook," when they should have been the core and foundation. Thus the Scientology organization reeks of hypocrisy.

Also, at this much publicized layer, L. Ron Hubbard is presented as an engineer, war hero, nuclear physicist, and the "greatest humanitarian of all time," and the author of "22 best sellers with more to come."

The "first layer" is what Scientology wishes the outside world to know as Scientology. And it is essentially what new converts to the "movement" believe.

It includes most of what is good in the subject: The dream of peace on Earth, the desire to help, practical wisdom, civilized communication, and some potentially beneficial counseling procedures. The word freedom is used a great deal at this layer, and a heart felt desire for greater personal freedom, and freedom for all Mankind, is not unusual to new recruits to Scientology.

(Any inconsistencies or contradictions between the publicly stated aims of the movement, and actual practices or facts, become irrelevant as the individual becomes subject to the Dark Side of Scientology. And the deeper one descends into the "onion" the darker it gets.)

Descending into the "onion" it is necessary to become a Scientologist. This means thinking like a Scientologist. This is the Second Layer where deception eases into "soft" forms of mind-manipulation. Love of Mankind is modified that the awareness that human beings are mere hapless "Wogs"... The desire to help becomes the desire to recruit. The ideal of practical wisdom, based on logic and science, is superseded by the belief in the unfathomable mystery of the "tech." Indeed one is expected to be in a state of awe regarding the "tech," much in the same manner that a peasant woman might regard piece of bone, said to have belonged to a Saint from centuries past.

The publicly promoted "policy" of honesty is modified by an awareness that deception is OK, as long as it serves to achieve the desired Scientological end. And the ideals of civility and democracy become a joke - just something that "panty-waists" and wimps fixate on.

One is slowly being "hatted" as a Scientologist.

(At this point an - unlucky - new Scientologist may be subjected to heavy handed "hard sell" tactics by a sales person or "registrar." Life savings have been lost, inheritances gobbled up, and lines of credit drained, all in a single arduous evening of "hard sell." This is really a premature taste of Layer Four.)

The Third Layer down is composed of never ending, expensive, highly advertised, but confidential "upper levels." These go on and on - and on. Scientology has been selling the promise of "Total Freedom" since before most of its current membership were born. It remains the ever elusive "dangling carrot."

Well known individuals who become involved in Scientology - becoming "Scientology celebrities" - do not go deeper into the Scientological Onion than this.

They are also spared the abuses that "less valuable" beings may suffer at the hands of Scientology sales people, "Sea Org" recruiters, or "ethics" officers...

At the upper fringes of the next layer down is local "Org staff," and at the bottom of Layer Four can be found "Sea Org" personnel. This layer employs more pervasive and cruder forms of "persuasion" or "mind control." Here is the "slave labor" supplying Rehabilitation Project Force, the Pavlovian "5 Card System," and the grim but repressed awareness that one is mainly a "post" and a "stat," (i.e. statistic.)

The Fifth layer down includes intimidation of the mass media, use of lawsuits purely for purposes of harassment, and applications of policies and programs, such as those discovered as a result of the FBI search warrants of July 1977. These materials were made available for public view by Federal court order in 1979 and consist of organized applications of the Fair game Law, and related confidential policies and "tech," designed to illegally gain access to private files, infiltrate, harass, lie about, "sue, trick, lie to, or destroy" anyone perceived as an enemy. At this layer also would be secret bank accounts and financial irregularities.

Other aspects of this layer would include "blackmail," including threats to publicize personal information obtained during "religious confessionals" (auditing sessions); and the inducement of duress of various kinds - including frivolous lawsuits - to obtain promises of "silence," and to obtain "signed retractions" of earlier statements.

Here also can be found the handful of individuals who constitute the "Scientology hierarchy": the board of directors of the Religious Technology Center, and its chairman David Miscavige or "DM."

Layer Number Six appears to be the core of the Onion. It is a very temperamental and secret place.

Here lie the secrets of L. Ron Hubbard: his bad health, bad habits, undistinguished military service, flunked physics and mathematics classes. Here can be found the actual motivations behind, and sources of, Dianetics and Scientology. Here can be found Mary Sue Hubbard, languishing in prison for crimes committed under her husband's direction, while her husband, in hiding, passes the time writing Science Fiction. Here are all the things you shouldn't know about the founder of the "Science of Knowing How to Know."

L. Ron Hubbard, Messiah or Madman?, 2nd edition:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0942637577/ref=sib_dp_pt/102-0654802-4263319

Brainwashing Manual Parallels in Scientology:
http://www.xenu-directory.net/critics/ambry1.html

Messiah or Madman?

The book 'L. Ron Hubbard, Messiah or Madman?' has been published in three English language editions, each further revised and updated (1987, 1992, and 1996.) There is also a hardbound Russian language edition that became available in 2005.

Unlike most other books on Scientology, 'Messiah or Madman?' examines both the "positives" and "negatives" of the subject.

Since I have a copy of the 1996 (464 page) edition, here's an excerpt from the new book flap:

"I have high hopes of smashing my name
into history so violently that it will take a
legendary form even if all the books are
destroyed. That goal is the real goal as far as
I am concerned. Things which stand too
consistently in my way make me nervous.
It's a pretty big job. In a hundred years
Roosevelt will have been forgotten - which
gives some idea of the magnitude of my
attempt. And all this boils and froths inside
my head...
"Psychiatrists, reaching the high of the
dusty desk, tell us that Alexander, Genghis
Khan and Napoleon were madmen. I know
they're maligning some very intelligent
gentlemen."

L. Ron Hubbard wrote these words in a letter to
his first wife in 1938.

In 1950 he wrote the bestseller 'Dianetics, the
Modern Science of Mental Health. This inspired a
layman oriented mental health movement which,
ultimately, developed into Scientology, the most
profitable of the money-making new religions.

Hubbard's early Dianetic and Scientology writings
borrow freely from Sigmund Freud, Carl Jung, and
the founder of General Semantics, Alfred Korzybski.

And P.T. Barnum appears to have been an inspiration.

Hubbard also took much from the writings of Aleister
Crowley - self-proclaimed "Beast 666." This is a source
of embarrassment for the Scientology Church, which
is determined to achieve broad public acceptance.

In the 1960s Hubbard incorporated Brainwashing
methodologies into the subject. He established the
"Fair Game Policy" which states that an "enemy" of
Scientology "may be deprived of property or injured
by any means by any Scientologist, without
discipline of that Scientologist. May be tricked,
sued, lied to or destroyed."

He also became the Commodore of his own private
navy, and began to refer to himself as "Source."

'L. Ron Hubbard, Messiah or Madman?' exposes
as never before the dark side of Scientology, yet
contains an in-depth examination of the potential
positives of the subject and their actual origins.

Last edited:

VaD

Gold Meritorious Patron
methinks

Steve Hall,
Marty Rathbun,
Jeff Hawkins,
Nancy Many,
Marc Headley,
Amy Scobee,
Mike Rinder,

have been doing great job at what they wanted to do.

They have not been under any obligation to do what any of you told them to do. They are not under statistics kind of control.
They are on their own, their own devices.

People telling them, "Do MORE, Do BETTER than that!" are not good, in my books.

Why in the world one is dependent on Marty, Jeff, Amy, Marc????
Are they your new authorities about truth? - If so, well, get over it! Your life is totally YOURS! It has never belonged to Scientology.

P.S.
Answer to Mick Wenlock: I'm not even going to do a thing about Scn anymore. It's dead as far as I'm concerned.
What am I doing here? - Having fun. I like having fun. I feel I deserve it.

I told you I was trouble

Suspended animation
Steve Hall,
Marty Rathbun,
Jeff Hawkins,
Nancy Many,
Marc Headley,
Amy Scobee,
Mike Rinder,

have been doing great job at what they wanted to do.

They have not been under any obligation to do what any of you told them to do. They are not under statistics kind of control.
They are on their own, their own devices.

People telling them, "Do MORE, Do BETTER than that!" are not good, in my books.

Why in the world one is dependent on Marty, Jeff, Amy, Marc????
Are they your new authorities about truth? - If so, well, get over it! Your life is totally YOURS! It has never belonged to Scientology.

P.S.
Answer to Mick Wenlock: I'm not even going to do a thing about Scn anymore. It's dead as far as I'm concerned.
What am I doing here? - Having fun. I like having fun. I feel I deserve it.

This is you having fun?

Lol.

I am glad I didn't know you when you were in the Sea Org ...

:faceslap:

VaD

Gold Meritorious Patron
This is you having fun?

Lol.

I am glad I didn't know you when you were in the Sea Org ...

:faceslap:

What do *you* know about my being in SO???
I worked in MEAM in LA (PAC) for some 5 years doing logistics for Gold.

I'm glad I didn't know you, too. Your fun here is: :flamewar:
And I don't mind not knowing you in the future.

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free
Have all of you read the book "Madman or Messiah" by Bent Corydon? I started it last night and am nearly done with it. I don't see how anyone who has read it could ever think L Ron Hubbard was innocent. I was in Scientology since 1969 and said hasta lavista in 2009.

Hi Dean! Welcome to ESMB. I love it when people post that they have left and are reading up the better materials that are out on Hubbard. I wish Bent's book was promoted more these days but there is lots of competition now :) Glad you mentioned it.

I read that book when I first came to the internet in 2006 ( and looked up the forbidden word). I recently re-read it and got even more out of it since those 3+ years in the evolution of recovering from Scientology.

"Madman or Messiah" is one of the best books written for long time ex's to relate tpo and for all to get the history of what was really going on when the poop hit the fan in the early 80s. For me, it was like putting pieces of the puzzle together. I really got alot out of it and it confirmed much of what I had observed back in the days I spent in Los Angeles.

You were around when Hubbard was on the lines and lasted 'til 2009. Where were you located? I see that you are at least a Cl IX C/S according to your completions record on the internet.
http://www.truthaboutscientology.com/stats/by-name/d/dean-blair.html

Were you staff? How much more training and services did you do since 1988? Did you rtead the LRH documents of a lifetime. They are another must-read, lol http://www.spaink.net/cos/LRH-bio/lrhpaper.htm

Best wishes
Mary