What's new

1985-1989 kids who ran around the ceo,complex, and manor and shangri lodge

Coyote13

Thought Criminal
wondering if theres any other kids who ran around the complex, ceo, manor, or the shangri lodge around 1985-1989(or so) who got out of scientology. i was born in 1976 and mostly remember hanging with other scientology kids from age 8 to about 12 or 13.

my mom and stepfather were in scientology since i was little(my mom since before i was born or soon after) in the downtown sacramento org that was right by some auditorium thing downtown sac. i dont recall any other kids names from that time though, and we joined the sea org whe ni was 8 and left for L.a.

from the ceo i remember,
joaquin(his mother worked for the ceo in some position that apparently afforded him extra priviledges beyond us other kids
yuri and serge(brothers)
noelle(she was younger than myself, my brother was around her more)
lalainia
carly
jeremy and shane prefontaine
some dude i dont recall his name but he fell off the courtyard at the manor on yucca and smashed his head open and i never heard of him again after the ambulance took him away
some girl who got hit by a car in front of the fountain building who i never saw after that
a kid named amos(he lived in the berthings on hollywood boulevard

i barely recall a lot of the names from the time when my parents were in the sea org, but right after they got kicked out(1985/86?), we moved to an apartment complex called the fountain arms that had a lot of scientologist living there. some names of people there at the time that i recall:
jack farmer(we lived with him for a month or so after we got kicked out of the sea org),
carson and mickey, whose father was named daryl i believe,
sam mactagart,
a girl named carla who lived across from us when we finally got our own apartment there.

about 1986 we moved to the shangri lodge across from the manor and the ceo(before they got rid of it) and there were hella kids i knew who were also scientologists and theyre more the people i recall. some of those kids were:
greg landers and his sisters danelle and monique(last name bonneville),
above them(apartment above) were kendra and yeta frencher,
the manager when we first moved in i forget her name, but her husbands name was royce and they had a son named norton,
danny mustard and his mom sue mustard, and there were these kids i think my little sister knew better named dree and quillon (pee and poo or some such).
theres more that i dont recall, but if you kicked it at the shangri lodge and went to movie night for kids off the lobby, then i knew you and if you have woken up and think for yourself now, i would love to hear from you. so far everyone on that list(as well as one i didnt name) are still part of the mindfuck and havent woken up, except myself and it sure would be nice to hear from others who were there during those times and dont do that mental juggling act which makes horrible things ok or makes them not have happened in their reality and actually are comfortable accepting and acknowledging reality as it is(rather than as youd have it be) if you made it through the ramble this far, peace and blessings.

ps my name is Mat(hew) and my brother is Bryan, we lived in apartment 315 at the shangri lodge (after the shangri lodge i was sufficiently away from scientologists that i was able to make non scientologist friends, so i had little or nothing to do with scientology beyond a brief visit to flag when i was 12)

Lurker5

Gold Meritorious Patron
Welcome

Welcome Coyote13. I hope you connect with someone you knew. I hope too that you are already at the es-scn kids site. If not, be sure to go there (too). :welcome: :wave: :hattip:

TR'SIN

Patron with Honors
I'll pass it on to my daughter who was there but at a different location. She was friends with Sherri (family still in, but she is not) and Leah Remini (who is still in) they used to "escape" to the movies as she called it and were some part of a failed Gold recruit mission that got too many under-aged kids with no parent in the state etc.

She mentioned the "fountain" apts to me a while back, so maybe there is some connection. Best of luck in finding your friends. And welcome to this board if you choose to post more, we love to hear how you managed to get OUT and your tales.

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
Hi Mat
Welcome to ESMB! :welcome:

I was at the Shangri La for a bit, but I wasn't exactly a kid at the time.
I think I graduated high school around the year you were born.
I lived there for maybe 4-6 months from what I remember. It was probably the last half of 1987 or beginning of 1988. I was renting a room at the time from a man named Yacov(?) who managed the Apt complex during the time I lived there. He also was an Israeli celeb. Do you by chance remember him at all?

Coyote13

Thought Criminal
Thanks for the replies. I posted as well on ex scientology kids(perhaps i oughta check there more often :p).

the name yakov sounds familiar, but he wouldnt have been the manager of the shangri lodge ( it wasnt called the shangri la) which are the apartments right across the street from the manor 1811 tamarind way just south of franklin where tamarind changes to yucca i believe( its been hella hella since ive been over there). we moved out of the shangri lodge in 1988 and sue mustard was still the manager at the time( if she wasnt and my memory is incorrect on this, then it definitely would have been the lady from new zealand with the husband named royce and the son named norton, those were the two managers while we lived there 1986(early 87?) to 1988(89?).

peace and blessings.

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
the name yakov sounds familiar, but he wouldnt have been the manager of the shangri lodge ( it wasnt called the shangri la) which are the apartments right across the street from the manor

I could have the name wrong, cause the location you specified seems correct............I was definitely accross the street from celebrity center, but I don't recall the address.

But when I was there it sure seemed that Yacov was managing them.
Minimally, he was assisting to do that as I know he got his apartment for free for what he was doing there. And if there was ever a problem, like a fight or something happening in one of the apt's he would be the one who would go handle it.

I was as I said only there for maybe 4-6 months. The memories are kind of hazy from back then. :ohmy:

Iknowtoomuch

Gold Meritorious Patron
I'm one of those kids. Of course I can't say my name publicly. I don't remember a Matt although there were so many kids around back then it was nearly impossible to know them all.

FoTi

Crusader
The Shangri Lodge was on Tamarind, on the west side of the Manor Hotel.

Yacov was managing an apartment building on the street that was on the east side of the Manor Hotel/CCInt, when I knew him, in the late 80's. It was either Berendo or Bronson.

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
The Shangri Lodge was on Tamarind, on the west side of the Manor Hotel.

Yacov was managing an apartment building on the street that was on the east side of the Manor Hotel/CCInt, when I knew him, in the late 80's. It was either Berendo or Bronson.

ok, thanks FoTi.............I must have the completely wrong building then. :melodramatic:

I thought that the Apt's he was managing were called the Shangri-La Apts. Yacov was a fascinating guy really. I was hoping that I could reconnect with him but I believe he passed away some years ago. (I would like to be wrong about this)

Coyote13

Thought Criminal
here's some pics, one is myself with my little sister, and the other is my family( sans my stepfather ), I'm the one on the right, my mom is the one with the way to happiness shirt. both were taken at the shangri lodge around 1988 or so, i was about 12. peace and blessings.

Attachments

• scan0004.jpg
    scan0004.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 51
  • scan0008.jpg
    scan0008.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 66

free1996

Patron with Honors
wondering if theres any other kids who ran around the complex, ceo, manor, or the shangri lodge around 1985-1989(or so) who got out of scientology. i was born in 1976 and mostly remember hanging with other scientology kids from age 8 to about 12 or 13.

my mom and stepfather were in scientology since i was little(my mom since before i was born or soon after) in the downtown sacramento org that was right by some auditorium thing downtown sac. i dont recall any other kids names from that time though, and we joined the sea org whe ni was 8 and left for L.a.

from the ceo i remember,
joaquin(his mother worked for the ceo in some position that apparently afforded him extra priviledges beyond us other kids
yuri and serge(brothers)
noelle(she was younger than myself, my brother was around her more)
lalainia
carly
jeremy and shane prefontaine
some dude i dont recall his name but he fell off the courtyard at the manor on yucca and smashed his head open and i never heard of him again after the ambulance took him away
some girl who got hit by a car in front of the fountain building who i never saw after that
a kid named amos(he lived in the berthings on hollywood boulevard

i barely recall a lot of the names from the time when my parents were in the sea org, but right after they got kicked out(1985/86?), we moved to an apartment complex called the fountain arms that had a lot of scientologist living there. some names of people there at the time that i recall:
jack farmer(we lived with him for a month or so after we got kicked out of the sea org),
carson and mickey, whose father was named daryl i believe,
sam mactagart,
a girl named carla who lived across from us when we finally got our own apartment there.

about 1986 we moved to the shangri lodge across from the manor and the ceo(before they got rid of it) and there were hella kids i knew who were also scientologists and theyre more the people i recall. some of those kids were:
greg landers and his sisters danelle and monique(last name bonneville),
above them(apartment above) were kendra and yeta frencher,
the manager when we first moved in i forget her name, but her husbands name was royce and they had a son named norton,
danny mustard and his mom sue mustard, and there were these kids i think my little sister knew better named dree and quillon (pee and poo or some such).
theres more that i dont recall, but if you kicked it at the shangri lodge and went to movie night for kids off the lobby, then i knew you and if you have woken up and think for yourself now, i would love to hear from you. so far everyone on that list(as well as one i didnt name) are still part of the mindfuck and havent woken up, except myself and it sure would be nice to hear from others who were there during those times and dont do that mental juggling act which makes horrible things ok or makes them not have happened in their reality and actually are comfortable accepting and acknowledging reality as it is(rather than as youd have it be) if you made it through the ramble this far, peace and blessings.

ps my name is Mat(hew) and my brother is Bryan, we lived in apartment 315 at the shangri lodge (after the shangri lodge i was sufficiently away from scientologists that i was able to make non scientologist friends, so i had little or nothing to do with scientology beyond a brief visit to flag when i was 12)

Alot of those names are on facebook, some are retarded Scientologist still and some are not. Tara Rinder (Mike's daughter) is the one who got hit by a car infront of the fountain bld....never forget that.
I loved the Shangri Lounge, mostly the swimming pool and the pool tables inside. As an S.O. kid, it was great to exscape over there and feel normal!

FoTi

Crusader
ok, thanks FoTi.............I must have the completely wrong building then. :melodramatic:

I thought that the Apt's he was managing were called the Shangri-La Apts. Yacov was a fascinating guy really. I was hoping that I could reconnect with him but I believe he passed away some years ago. (I would like to be wrong about this)

I lived at the Shangri Lodge in '79 - '80. I lived at the Manor Hotel from '85-'88.....that's when I went over to Yacov's apartment to visit. He didn't live at the Shangri Lodge at that time. I don't know the name of the apartments he was managing at the time. He had more books in one apartment than I've ever seen in my whole entire life.....it was like wall to wall books. LOL He was quite a scholar.

I didn't know he had passed away. If he was still around he probably would be in his 90's by now. I think of him from time to time and wonder if he's in or out. He impressed me as a very sincere, caring guy, who really believed that Scientology was going to make a better world. And , who knows, maybe it will if or when all the garbage gets weeded out of it and if the good parts survive.

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
I don't know the name of the apartments he was managing at the time.

I believe that the apartments he was managing was accross the street from the Manor, but on Franklin Av. I was just looking on Google Street View and they don't seem to be there any more. :ohmy:

I'll send you a PM regarding Yacov, so as not to further derail this thread. Good luck Mat at reconnecting up with those who you are looking for! :yes:

Coyote13

Thought Criminal
thanks for the replies. one i think i might have a vague idea of who they are, though they proly wouldnt have remembered me, i definitely remeber this person( good thoughts, though i just knew them from afar) they're the only one i knew that was in the sea org, they were over at danny mustard's, ussually at times i wasnt there. even if its not that person, i'm still glad they're out.

i think its not so much that i want to re-connect with those people as much as wanting to know im not the only one i know personally who saw through the bullshit and were around the same crazy social structure thats scientology. it'd be cool to hear from people who remember me for sure or some of the people i remember, but mostly its that desire to know im not the only one(yes i know this board is full of others who saw through the bullshit, and its hella awesome, just a little different when its someone you knew personally, like went through the war with you so to speak).

i'm hella glad to hear of others from there that are out. whether they were immediate friends or individuals from the area who i wouldnt know by name, it feels a little less lonely in that respect( simply knowing others are free does hella).

my life since those time has gone hella hella places and ive experienced a lot and grew hella and learned some dear lessons and have a bit of peace inside(though for sure theres still hella strong emotions associated with my experiences and have more acceptance to gain on them). i feel good about myself and my life, sometimes its the cherry on top to have outside validation( luckily i don't dig cherries all the time :p ). peace and blessings.

ps. is it alright to pm individuals if i have a question?

Bea Kiddo

Crusader
Alot of those names are on facebook, some are retarded Scientologist still and some are not. Tara Rinder (Mike's daughter) is the one who got hit by a car infront of the fountain bld....never forget that.
I loved the Shangri Lounge, mostly the swimming pool and the pool tables inside. As an S.O. kid, it was great to exscape over there and feel normal!

Hey! I got hit by a car in front of Fountain too! I know that Tara's was more serious than mine. I just had cuts and bruises. Tara ended up in several casts, if I remember right.

I was there during that time period too.

FoTi

Crusader
I believe that the apartments he was managing was accross the street from the Manor, but on Franklin Av. I was just looking on Google Street View and they don't seem to be there any more. :ohmy:

I'll send you a PM regarding Yacov, so as not to further derail this thread. Good luck Mat at reconnecting up with those who you are looking for! :yes:

I was never in any of the apartments across the street from the Manor on Franklin. When I visited Yacov, he was not living on Franklin. He was living across the street from the parking lot of the Manor.

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
I was never in any of the apartments across the street from the Manor on Franklin. When I visited Yacov, he was not living on Franklin. He was living across the street from the parking lot of the Manor.

And that wasn't on Franklin Av? :confused2:

Oh, and just to correct an earlier error on my part..........the correct english spelling of his name I believe is Ya'aqov.