What's new

Panorama: Secrets of Scientology (Showing BBC1 28th Sept 2010 9pm UK)

Sleepyhead

Patron
"Originally Posted by small steps
agreed. BUT....DO YOU NOT THINK THEY COULD HAVE GONE A LITTLE FURTHER? dunno....just was expecting more i guess. it is good that it happened....it is good that its another blow...and so on and so on......but really? i tried to watch it as if i had never had any involvement and in that light it came across as a little.....erm....underwhelming. just my opinion of course."

It will go into peoples subconcious mind. It warns them away from the "church"

I think the advent of "you guys" (Anonymous) protesting against CO$ (initially in response to their attempts to censor a leaked Tom Cruise Video), and how the cult portrays "Anonymous" as "terrorists" by planting a FALSE video supposedly made by said group (etc.), would have added some spice.

(Maybe getting WBM and/or Magoo or even some of the OG involved would have helped too :)...).

(Edit: WBM is starting to put together his own feature-length doco now apparently.)

:thumbsup: to JSes efforts anyway, esp the the part Alanzo's post (#149) refers to, and also the closing conclusion.

BTW Emma/Moderator: Shouldn't the "VIDEO: The Secrets of Scientology" thread be included in this one?

Last edited:

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
No, not at all. :no:

I just mean that you, being a serious critic and all are not someone I'd expect for Marty to give space to on his blog.

What percentage of your posts get through the moderation process?

fortymarriedandbalding

Patron with Honors
There is a saying in show business “there is no such thing as bad publicity”. When it comes to scientology, the saying is “there is no such thing as good publicity” and this will no doubt help keep people away from the cult.

Unfortunately it did show the e-meter in a somewhat positive light. It gave the impression that it can do what a lie detector can not, even though Marty did say it was a simple piece of electronics. Lie detectors do not detect lies either. Both machines detect changes in the physical state. Some may be driven by emotional changes.

Some curious people may be drawn towards scientology or because of how this short section was shown. Some like to experiment regardless of other perceived dangers.

Also a pity there was not a good rebuttal of mike and martys beleif in the tech and lron, although lron looks like a lunatic in those short clips they showed.

But overall a good show and a real kick in the nuts for slappy and scientology as a whole. Especially when you consider how unjustly strict the UK libel laws are.

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
Marty said it was a 'Truth Detector' :)

Gee, then Ron's using it to discover the Targs and date his schizo fantasies was *right*!!!

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Zinj

I told you I was trouble

Suspended animation
I thought it was very professional and it showed the cult to be exactly what it is (paranoid and vicious and full of fear and intimidation tactics whilst busily accumulating lots of bling).

Jason was terrific admitting that as a celeb he was treated like a spoilt brat and that he got totally love bombed (as all the celebs do, at the staffs expense).

I laughed at the expression "Pay as you go religion" and the statement that "scientologists are obsessed with the mind" (er yeah, you could say that! Lol).

Tom Cruise, looked ever so silly with his "whaddya say, shall we clean this place up?" ... rah rah (he really is soppy for allowing himself to be used this way and I bet he regrets it).

:yes:

Ben Rinder apparently refusing to see his Dad was a low point and Mike looks deeply devastated and I don't like to see that at all.

I have difficulty taking scientologists seriously about anything now (and certainly once they have done OT3) knowing what they believe, but I really do feel for Mike Rinder ... the poor man looks agonised.

Those celebs were sickening liars and Ann Archer was appallingly rude whilst lying her arse off.

Zinj is right though ... Marty and Mike have no reason now NOT to disclose what they have.

Interesting times ahead.

:yes:

Originally posted by Zinj

Marty said it was a 'Truth Detector'

Gee, then Ron's using it to discover the Targs and date his schizo fantasies was *right*!!!

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Zinj

Exactly ... and any old rubbish the PC comes up with is, (per this new definition) also true.

:roflmao:

TEoS

Patron with Honors
The e-meter is not a "truth detector". It does not measure "charge" as such in the Scientology sense of the word. It measures resistance, pure and simple. The only difference between the "magical" e-meter and a $20 electrician's multimeter are the words and BS used to describe what its purpose is.

Last edited:

Smurf

Gold Meritorious SP
Panorama are broadcasting the infamous telephone recoding of Rinder getting abuse from his wife and son in the car park :)

It was his wife and daughter, Taryn, not his son who works at the Fort Harrison.

Zinjifar

The e-meter is not a "truth detector". It does not measure "charge" as such in the Scientology sense of the word. It measures resistance, pure and simple. The only difference between the "magical" e-meter and a $20 electrician's multimeter are the words and BS used to describe what its propose is.

be fair! No multimeter has a deliberately bouncy needle!

Zinj

Freeminds

Bitter defrocked apostate
The e-meter is not a "truth detector". It does not measure "charge" as such in the Scientology sense of the word. It measures resistance, pure and simple. The only difference between the "magical" e-meter and a $20 electrician's multimeter are the words and BS used to describe what its propose is.

I'm sure somebody has... contacts in China. Perhaps it would destroy CofS market share, and thereby aid the cause, if we sent an eMeter to China with circuit diagrams, and invite a company to make cheap copies. We might see the gadget shops full of $20 "Mathison Truth Detectors" in time for Christmas.

New FDA sticker: "This is a toy. It is not for use in a medical procedure; nor should it be used as the basis to form a cult."

xseaorguk

Patron Meritorious
Rinder and Rathburn

what would interest me is that after around 30 years in a cult you usually have not only no freinds and conctacts on the outside but also have NO MONEY!!
You will have to get a job of some kind to support yourself and your family.
I think in the clips of the Headley's it was obvious they were living quite a basic lifestyle with their 2 kids, as is to be expected after so long in the cult.

When you look at Rathburn and Rinder though, I dont wanna jump to conclusions about their lifestyle or where they got the snazzy cars from etc, but they both do not give the impression of suffering financially.
How come?
This makes me very suspisciuos of them both

Zinjifar

Claire and Marc seem to be thriving to me.
Unintended (from Co$,) but, not unusual for some escapees. Very well done by them.

Zinj

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)

you are right, of course, but Marty thinks you are wrong.

he believes that box of simplistic junk will spot thoughts and will date locate the origins of the known universe.

Plus ca change plus ca reste la meme chose.