What's new

Alanzo, please say it isn't so

Feral

Rogue male
Press "Control" and "F" and type die, for a start. http://www.clambake.org/archive/books/bfm/bfm16.htm (Note: Miller thought that Hubbard's collapse after Rhodesia was entirely an act. I disagree. IMO, it was a genuine breakdown followed with a reputation-protecting and ego-enhancing "shore story.")

When I wrote "post-Rhodesia," I meant after Rhodesia. It didn't happen right away. The pattern repeated (including the delayed reaction) after the FBI raids of July 1977. First there was coping, then finally an emotional and physical collapse - then eventual recovery.

Hubbard's behavior changed somewhat, but the motivations, as revealed in his 1938 'Excalibur' letter and his 1946 'Affirmations', his many 1950s letters to the FBI, and other things, were essentially the same. So, I don't believe that the change in his behavior was that dramatic.

Scientologists usually saw these collapses (to the extent that they knew about them) as Hubbard having contacted some super-engram or huge deposit of "charge," which he then heroically confronted, and "mapped," and made part of the "Bridge to Total Freedom."

Hubbard, sometimes on a whim, would decide something, and Scientologists would immediately align their thinking in accordance with that (whatever it was). Hubbard was the same person doing, essentially, what he was doing all along. However, it would seem like a drastic change to Scientologists who were on tippy toes awaiting any word from "Source" regarding life, the universe and everything, and their next "agonized endless trillions of years," etc. And, of course, those in Hubbard's vicinity were especially sensitive to Hubbard's moods: happy was good and then Scientologist would be happy too, angry was bad and Scientologists, then, would be unhappy too, or frightened and worried.

In no particular order, here are some links to old posts that might provide some additional info. Hope it helps. :)

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showpost.php?p=73071&postcount=5

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showpost.php?p=436606&postcount=114

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showpost.php?p=39523&postcount=275

Thanks Veda. I'd read most of those things before and with the "Bare Faced Messiah" portion I accepted the writer's conclusions, which now look to me to be faulty.

With Hubbard there was a massive "valence shift" (apologies) around that time, sort of the "Hubbard" became the "Anti Hubbard". This has been observed in one way or another by all exes but possibly often never really understood, it's just such an extreme shift in paradigms that it's staggering to the newly out Scio. I did suspect he went mad around that time, but never really took on that conclusion fully without enough supporting evidence.

Then when you're in a frame of mind to evaluate it you've long past reading about that time period and may not be prompted to revisit it. So I'm glad for the chance to get more info from that time.

"Modern Science of Mental Health" indeed.

Thanks Veda. I'd read most of those things before and with the "Bare Faced Messiah" portion I accepted the writer's conclusions, which now look to me to be faulty.

With Hubbard there was a massive "valence shift" (apologies) around that time, sort of the "Hubbard" became the "Anti Hubbard". This has been observed in one way or another by all exes but possibly often never really understood, it's just such an extreme shift in paradigms that it's staggering to the newly out Scio. I did suspect he went mad around that time, but never really took on that conclusion fully without enough supporting evidence.

Then when you're in a frame of mind to evaluate it you've long past reading about that time period and may not be prompted to revisit it. So I'm glad for the chance to get more info from that time.

"Modern Science of Mental Health" indeed.

I think that especially key to remember is that Hubbard basically finished WWII undergoing psychiatric treatment courtesy of the USN. Throughout his life the sort of behavior he manifested was consistent with a mood effective disorder diagnosis such as bipolar. Both the drug use and signs of inappropriate sexual expression are quite common features of such disorders. It's not too hard to imagine that what was at one point a "manageable" condition gradually, and through the strains of his lifestyle, became "unmanageable".

Short of a full medical evaluation, which of course is impossible now, this is impossible to determine. But it does seem to be at least one likely interpretation of the facts as they are known to have been.

Mark A. Baker

Hatshepsut

Crusader
I think that especially key to remember is that Hubbard basically finished WWII undergoing psychiatric treatment courtesy of the USN. Throughout his life the sort of behavior he manifested was consistent with a mood effective disorder diagnosis such as bipolar. Both the drug use and signs of inappropriate sexual expression are quite common features of such disorders. It's not too hard to imagine that what was at one point a "manageable" condition gradually, and through the strains of his lifestyle, became "unmanageable".

Short of a full medical evaluation, which of course is impossible now, this is impossible to determine. But it does seem to be at least one likely interpretation of the facts as they are known to have been.

Mark A. Baker

:ohmy: Didn't know that.

:ohmy: Didn't know that.

Strictly speaking, I was incorrect in my comment. Hubbard was relieved of command responsibilities because of his erratic behavior. He was diagnosed as depressed but did not receive psychiatric treatment occur until after his separation from the Navy. That occurred at his own request.

Mark A. Baker

Veda

Sponsor
The ultimate PR damage control attempt (done out of desperation) is to excuse Hubbard from responsibility for his actions by asserting that Hubbard had a defective brain which, nonetheless, the mighty Hubbard thetan used, despite extreme difficulties :violin: that would have crushed an ordinary thetan (with a healthy brain), giving us all - including the ungrateful bashers and haters :angry: - the Bridge to Total Freedom.:happydance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0_1F0_20mE

Not to worry, though, for (according to none less than Ken Urquhart) Ron will be returning "1000 times more brilliant," and with a healthy brain this time.:yes:

And there will be dancing in the streets! :dance3: :dance3::dance3::dance3::dance3: :dance3::dance3::dance3:

The ultimate PR damage control attempt (done out of desperation) is to excuse Hubbard from responsibility for his actions by asserting that Hubbard had a defective brain which, nonetheless, the mighty Hubbard thetan used, despite extreme difficulties :violin: that would have crushed an ordinary thetan (with a healthy brain), giving us all - including the ungrateful bashers and haters :angry: - the Bridge to Total Freedom.:happydance:

"No Love" for the mentally ill, eh Veda? Somehow I'm not surprised.

Mark A. Baker

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on
The ultimate PR damage control attempt (done out of desperation) is to excuse Hubbard from responsibility for his actions by asserting that Hubbard had a defective brain which, nonetheless, the mighty Hubbard thetan used, despite extreme difficulties :violin: that would have crushed an ordinary thetan (with a healthy brain), giving us all - including the ungrateful bashers and haters :angry: - the Bridge to Total Freedom.:happydance:Not to worry, though, for (according to none less than Ken Urquhart) Ron will be returning "1000 times more brilliant," and with a healthy brain this time.:yes:And there will be dancing in the streets! :dance3: :dance3::dance3::dance3::dance3: :dance3::dance3::dance3:

Surely, you are purposely ignoring the scientific fact that Ron broke his brain going thru the Wall of Fire to save underserving beings like yourself.

The complete scientific research, support and peer review is on RJ 67.

"No love" for the mentally messianic, eh Veda? Somehow I am not surprised.

Hater!

:D

Last edited:

Hatshepsut

Crusader
Surely, you are purposely ignoring the scientific fact that Ron broke his brain going thru the Wall of Fire to save underserving beings like yourself.

The complete scientific research, support and peer review is on RJ 67.

"No love" for the mentally messianic, eh Veda? Somehow I am not surprised.

Hater!

:D

image0163161616.jpg

HIIIIEEEEEEYAAAAH!!!