What's new

Got a Very Weird Email Last Night

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
Re investigation: IMO, the only thing that could bring a little light into the darkness, would be the Wordpress access logs - and even if it was possible to get them (no chance without a court order, I'd say), it would be a huge pile of data to wade through and sort it all out.

And, I doubt it'd show anything. Because, while someone had access to the moderator page of Marty's Blog during the time that *some* of the relevant screenshots (those with known people posting at known and accurate times, even if the faked jpg's were faked) were made, I doubt it's anyone who wasn't supposed to.

It would actually be fairly easy, now that we know at least one of the 'times' involved to wade through the logs and find out who had accessed the page. But, of course, we *can't*, so 'investigation' is a deliberate distraction.

Marty could do it, or ask wordpress to do it; but, he won't :)

Zinj

Sindy

Crusader
Yes, you did a terrific job posting about what you received. If it were'nt for you, we probably would not have known what was going on and that people over at Marty's received it. You opened up a can of worms that needed opening! Thanks!!

Mary

I actually didn't think about that, Mary. Thanks. :)

MrNobody

Who needs merits?
Thank you. No I somehow missed the postscripts before replying. I am now grinning from ear to ear.

Good. :)

It's too bad about Aaron as his video, with Anonymous, created quite an affect of me in the beginning and I thought he was amazingly well spoken. He had the potential (and I suppose still does) to be a leader if he actually recognized the feelings of others and was not so self absorbed. Unfortunately the art of playing well with others was not one well honed during his tenure in Scientology.

About Aaron (and I would say this to him personally if he were here and willing to listen):

Aaron can be an effective speaker if he wants to, albeit a little polarizing, but that's it. As it is right now, I can't see him as a leader, let alone a good one. He doesn't even know where to go himself, let alone where to lead others to. Just look at all those celebratory and dramatic Good-Byes and I'm-Backs he performed here and on WWP. Or the still missing account statements for the donations he received. Some donors were pretty disappointed about his conduct. Treating his supporters like that was totally unnecessary and unjustified.

All that may make him a useful puppet for <whomever>, but it definitely isn't a display of quality leadership skills. It's too bad, he could have become an asset for EXes as well as for critics, but he chose to become a liability instead.

I hope he finds himself one day. I wish him all the best, that's all I can do for now...

Sindy

Crusader
Good. :)

About Aaron (and I would say this to him personally if he were here and willing to listen):

Aaron can be an effective speaker if he wants to, albeit a little polarizing, but that's it. As it is right now, I can't see him as a leader, let alone a good one. He doesn't even know where to go himself, let alone where to lead others to. Just look at all those celebratory and dramatic Good-Byes and I'm-Backs he performed here and on WWP. Or the still missing account statements for the donations he received. Some donors were pretty disappointed about his conduct. Treating his supporters like that was totally unnecessary and unjustified.

All that may make him a useful puppet for <whomever>, but it definitely isn't a display of quality leadership skills. It's too bad, he could have become an asset for EXes as well as for critics, but he chose to become a liability instead.

I hope he finds himself one day. I wish him all the best, that's all I can do for now...

Thanks for filling me in as I don't have his history, just the knowledge of the impact he initially had on me. This is why I said "potential". He certainly isn't even coming close to that and maybe you are right, he would simply be a good speaker but, even that requires leadership.

I hope he finds his way as well as the real, true, enemy here is the one we are all working to expose. He, like several others I have seen, seem like very damaged goods.

MrNobody

Who needs merits?
And, I doubt it'd show anything. Because, while someone had access to the moderator page of Marty's Blog during the time that *some* of the relevant screenshots (those with known people posting at known and accurate times, even if the faked jpg's were faked) were made, I doubt it's anyone who wasn't supposed to.

It would actually be fairly easy, now that we know at least one of the 'times' involved to wade through the logs and find out who had accessed the page. But, of course, we *can't*, so 'investigation' is a deliberate distraction.

Marty could do it, or ask wordpress to do it; but, he won't :)

Zinj

Well, every service provider worth it's salt and no matter what service it is they provide, keeps Edit-Logs. Ask Emma or Natascha, they should know. I have no reason to assume that wordpress doesn't, if only to protect themselves in a lawsuit. So yeah, it *could* indeed be fairly easy to find out what really happened. :)

Although: I share your doubts, but for different reasons. :yes:

MrNobody

Who needs merits?
Thanks for filling me in as I don't have his history, just the knowledge of the impact he initially had on me. This is why I said "potential". He certainly isn't even coming close to that and maybe you are right, he would simply be a good speaker but, even that requires leadership.

I hope he finds his way as well as the real, true, enemy here is the one we are all working to expose. He, like several others I have seen, seem like very damaged goods.

Everybody above a certain age, EX-Cultie or not, has had some experiences that make the "damaged goods", in one way or another; that's not the issue. It's about how one deals with such experiences. I'm not trying to make less of the cult experiences here, BTW. :)

Infinite

Troublesome Internet Fringe Dweller
Being the person who started this thread, I have learned a few things I would like to communicate. :) . . . <snip for bevity> . . . For any damage caused, I truly apologize and I vow to thoroughly understand anything I post, beforehand or to run it by a more experienced person first.

Absolutely nothing to apologise for as far as I'm concerned. In fact, I thank you for publishing the email. So often these messages get slung around behind the scenes with only various "in-the-know" types making pronouncements and decisions considered to be in the best interests of equally unknown types. Information is power and power is best shared. You done good.

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator
Absolutely nothing to apologise for as far as I'm concerned. In fact, I thank you for publishing the email. So often these messages get slung around behind the scenes with only various "in-the-know" types making pronouncements and decisions considered to be in the best interests of equally unknown types. Information is power and power is best shared. You done good.

Agreed. 100%.

Cherished

Silver Meritorious Patron
Being the person who started this thread, I have learned a few things I would like to communicate. :)

I am pretty newly out of Scientology (about 9 months). I am certainly new to this board though I had lurked here quite a bit before finally posting.

I would like to say, after careful consideration, that:

I wish I hadn't posted this as the drama and the damage seem far greater than the gain from doing so.

My posting this letter was a bit knee-jerk. I had just become a member here and coincidentally (or not, who knows), I received this weird email at around the same time. Though I cringe to have to admit this, I thought to myself "Cool, now I have something really interesting and worth posting there and maybe this will be a popular posting." Well, that is no reason to post something without thoroughly understanding it first.

This mechanics of the OSA dirty tricks and the lurid games that are played is a) New to me and B) Somewhat hard to confront and C) Easy to miss when you don't think that way yourself.

I made a cursory read of the email and got the basic gist (mistake) and just posted it without really understanding the ramifications of the email.

The 'Photobucket" images looked like garbage on my computer and I didn't give that much attention.

If I had known that those images were unjustly incriminating my friend or that it would have caused this much drama without any gain, I would not have posted it at all. I didn't even know there was anything about Heather G, a person I have come to know and love, before I posted.

I have since learned that this email was sent to many, many people in different small groups like it was sent to me. It was even sent to certain people in the regular mail.

I was the only person who published it and for that I feel like a complete tool as obviously that was a needed element for this distracting ploy to work.

For any damage caused, I truly apologize and I vow to thoroughly understand anything I post, beforehand or to run it by a more experienced person first. :blush:
Synthia, I have no issue with you having posted the email. Sunlight is the best disinfectant. And I love you too!!! <3

Winston Smith

Flunked Scientology
Agreed. 100%.

Hey, there have been far far more outrageous things posted on ESMB. And unless the thread becomes neglected through boredom or exhaustion, some day it will kind of get forgotten. However this is not the case here! Synthia has touched a nerve around here judging by the pages of response.

Sindy

Crusader
Everybody above a certain age, EX-Cultie or not, has had some experiences that make the "damaged goods", in one way or another; that's not the issue. It's about how one deals with such experiences. I'm not trying to make less of the cult experiences here, BTW. :)

Totally understood and I think maybe I need to be more clear when I am trying to be concise. The involvement with the cult has many deleterious effects. I am not making less of those or even intimating that I have come through even remotely unscathed. I think I'm trackin' with you and understand that this is not the issue regarding what you have communicated in terms of Aaron.

nexus100

Gold Meritorious Patron
Totally understood and I think maybe I need to be more clear when I am trying to be concise. The involvement with the cult has many deleterious effects. I am not making less of those or even intimating that I have come through even remotely unscathed. I think I'm trackin' with you and understand that this is not the issue regarding what you have communicated in terms of Aaron.

Worth having is the freedom to say what you want and to hell with 'em if they don't like it. That's kinda common roun' these parts.

MrNobody

Who needs merits?

Well, I think we're getting along quite nicely, given the facts that 1. English isn't my 1st language, and my understanding therefore isn't always as good as it should be, and 2. I've never been "in" - you have. :)

Sindy

Crusader

I am really glad that you guys think this way as I was concerned, for real. Thanks. :happydance:

Sindy

Crusader
Well, I think we're getting along quite nicely, given the facts that 1. English isn't my 1st language, and my understanding therefore isn't always as good as it should be, and 2. I've never been "in" - you have. :)

Yes, sir! :cheers:

Sindy

Crusader
Hey, there have been far far more outrageous things posted on ESMB. And unless the thread becomes neglected through boredom or exhaustion, some day it will kind of get forgotten. However this is not the case here! Synthia has touched a nerve around here judging by the pages of response.

How thoughtful and kind. Thank you Winston. :wave:

Infinite

Troublesome Internet Fringe Dweller
I am really glad that you guys think this way as I was concerned, for real. Thanks. :happydance:

No worries. If anything, I'm a little concerned about why you felt the need to apologise. I know your decision attracted some criticism. (EDIT: no point in importing drama)

Still, I'm heartened by what I see as your overcoming of the deleterious effects of your encounter with the cult. You felt a need to communicate pertinent information and acted on your instinct to do so. Imagine, if you can bear it, how much heartache could have been saved had everyone in the cult acted on their gut instinct when something didn't quite feel right. You're an example to others.

Those who have criticised and abused are the ones who need to apologise. They are the ones constantly seconding guessing their instincts and attempting to weigh up the pros and cons of their actions against Scientology concepts like "forwarding the enemy line" and so on. They are ones still enduring the deleterious effects.

You, on the other hand, didn't even entertain the idea of playing the enemy's game and pretty much stopped it in its tracks. Also, you are not the only one who published the email and/or forwarded the details into the blogosphere.

Last edited: