What's new

Confirmed: Paul Haggis and Lawrence Wright Working on a book about CoS and DM!

J. Swift

Patron with Honors
Gawker just confirmed that Paul Haggis and Pulitzer Prize winning author Lawrence Wright are collaborating on a book that will discuss DM's abuses and CoS. This is another broadside into DM's Shipwreck Cult!

Wright is a meticulous and muscular reporter, so the two men collaborating to tell the story of Scientology from the inside will be a very big deal. The book, which doesn't have a publisher yet, will be called The Heretic of Hollywood: Paul Haggis vs.The Church of Scientology and will explore both founder L. Ron Hubbard's life and Haggis' personal investigation into Miscavige's violence, the enslavement of "Sea Org" volunteers, and forced abortions for church workers, according to a catalog from Wright's agent Andrew Wylie [pdf] that was pointed out to us by a tipster. Full text of the catalog copy is below.

Wright has mentioned the project before in interviews, and indicated that it grew out of a New Yorker story that hasn't yet run.

The Scientology Expose We've Been Waiting ForIt will be interesting to see whether Scientology's counterintelligence and disinformation machinery will be up to the challenge of undermining a project like this: Back in the 1970s, the cult actually managed to infiltrate the private life of Paulette Cooper, author of The Scandal of Scientology, with a stooge acting as her best friend in a failed effort to frame her and drive her to suicide. So Wright might want to be careful about making any new friends for the next few years.
ref:http://gawker.com/5725832/the-scientology-expose-weve-been-waiting-for

In my conversations with Larry Wright, I found him to possess a tremendous combination of an indomitable intellect and great compassion. He is very committed to telling Paul Haggis' story to the world. Larry Wright's personal courage and work ethic as a journalist are reflected in his Pulitzer Prize and his 2006 best-seller The Looming Tower: Al-Qaeda and the Road to 9/11 (Knopf, 2006).

His history of al-Qaeda, The Looming Tower: Al-Qaeda and the Road to 9/11 (Knopf, 2006) was published to immediate and widespread acclaim, spending eight weeks on The New York Times best seller list and being translated into twenty-five languages. It was nominated for the National Book Award and won the Lionel Gelber Award for nonfiction, the Los Angeles Times Award for History, the J. Anthony Lukas Book Prize, the New York Public Library Helen Bernstein Book Award for Excellence in Journalism, and the Pulitzer Prize for General Nonfiction. The NYU School of Journalism recently honored the book as one of the ten best works of journalism in the previous decade.
ref: http://www.lawrencewright.com/bio.html

/////

Last edited:

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Huh? Conspiracy-Theory-type people will love this. He's written a best-selling highly acclaimed (I assume disinformation-filled) book on the fictitious Al-CIAda. Also, per his bio "Wright is a member of the Council on Foreign Relations."

Paul

Kutta

Silver Meritorious Patron
Huh? Conspiracy-Theory-type people will love this. He's written a best-selling highly acclaimed (I assume disinformation-filled) book on the fictitious Al-CIAda. Also, per his bio "Wright is a member of the Council on Foreign Relations."

Paul

Paul, can you expand on your post. Does Wright believe AlQaeda is fictitious? Or do you? What is the Council on Foreign Relations?

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Paul, can you expand on your post. Does Wright believe AlQaeda is fictitious? Or do you? What is the Council on Foreign Relations?

I'm not going to spend much time on this, Gail. There's oodles of information available via Google on the subject of both al-Qaeda's creation by the CIA, and the CFR. My personal beliefs are fairly irrelevant, except to me. :).

I have no idea what Wright actually believes, but I must admit that I wouldn't trust an "investigative journalist" who has written such a book further than I could spit.

Paul

dianaclass8

Silver Meritorious Patron
I'm not going to spend much time on this, Gail. There's oodles of information available via Google on the subject of both al-Qaeda's creation by the CIA, and the CFR. My personal beliefs are fairly irrelevant, except to me. :).

I have no idea what Wright actually believes, but I must admit that I wouldn't trust an "investigative journalist" who has written such a book further than I could spit.

Paul

Paul, he doesn't need to lie about the Church of Scientology, for he has plenty of material to come up with a juicy book.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Paul, he doesn't need to lie about the Church of Scientology, for he has plenty of material to come up with a juicy book.

That is true, but since it appears that he can be bought and the CofS has no back-off on trying to get at people, it's not a great combination. Still, I assume Haggis has some say in the matter too, and I have no reason to doubt his character, so it will probably turn out OK.

Paul

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa

Paul

Have you ever read the Koran, Paul?

The Koran created Al Queda, not the CIA.

This book is going to be excellent.

Axiom142

Gold Meritorious Patron
:happydance:

This just keeps getting better and better!

People will really take notice of this with Haggis involved. High-profile, celebrity-type people.

And I’d just love to see DM try and shut them up. How do you intimidate someone who has this guy on his side?

daniel-craig-photo.jpg

Axiom142

Have you ever read the Koran, Paul?

The Koran created Al Queda, not the CIA.

:omg:

:no:

Have YOU ever read the Koran, Al? The Koran is NOT responsible for islamic terrorists. The Koran was a great appeal for peace & tolerance at the time of its origin. It remains today the primary inspiration for spiritual reflection of roughly 20-25% of the world's population. It is certainly no more extremist in its doctrines than are the mainstays of judeo-christian thought.

Nor is the misuse of religious texts by extremist fanatics unique to islam. Two thousand years of christianity has left a blood spattered terrorist record yet to be matched by any other monotheistic religion on the planet.

Mark A. Baker

Lohan2008

Gold Meritorious Patron
back on topic

Let's get back to the topic of another 35 year veteran blowing, can't wait til book is produced into a movie and then made into a tv series.

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa
:omg:

:no:

Have YOU ever read the Koran, Al? The Koran is NOT responsible for islamic terrorists. The Koran was a great appeal for peace & tolerance at the time of its origin. It remains today the primary inspiration for spiritual reflection of roughly 20-25% of the world's population. It is certainly no more extremist in its doctrines than are the mainstays of judeo-christian thought.

Nor is the misuse of religious texts by extremist fanatics unique to islam. Two thousand years of christianity has left a blood spattered terrorist record yet to be matched by any other monotheistic religion on the planet.

Mark A. Baker

Mohamed became a military commander as he wrote parts of the Koran, during his jihad to free Mecca from the "infidel". He wrote his millitary strategy to expel the infidel from the "Land of Islam" into the Koran.

That's exactly what Al Queda was trying to do on 9/11 - expel the Infidel from the Land of Islam. It was their principle motivation for it, and all their operations since their inception.

Al Queda points to whole parts of the Koran as the justification of its existence.

Allah commands [their] followers to war as well as peace in the Koran.

And - go Paul Haggis.

Mohamed became a military commander as he wrote parts of the Koran, during his jihad to free Mecca from the "infidel". He wrote his millitary strategy to expel the infidel from the "Land of Islam" into the Koran. ...

A select and not particularly enlightening scrap of historical data relating to the life of mohammed. The reasons for that particular activity has to do, as always, with the political & social circumstances of the time.

You might ask yourself how many of the books of the bible are attributed to either a political or military leader of the judeo-christian community. Even the "historical pacifism" of jesus is questionable as the exact nature of his ties with the essenes and similar fundamentalist jewish communities in palestine remains unclear. There is historical textual & archaeological evidence which suggests that jesus & his closest disciples may have been involved with such extremist anti-gentile groups. However, thanks to the interpolations & inventions of paul, the precise character of the "jewishness" of jesus has been largely lost to christian traditions.

Mark A. Baker

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa
A select and not particularly enlightening scrap of historical data relating to the life of mohammed. The reasons for that particular activity has to do, as always, with the political & social circumstances of the time.

Yes, and it remains the perennial book of orders from Allah which all good Muslims follow, and by following, they will be admired by their fellows and this will be the basis on which they make it into heaven after death.

Go Paul!

I wonder when the book is coming out!

haiqu

Patron Meritorious
Haggis stuffing

Yet another thrilling, money-grabbing exposé about Scientology? Who gives a flying fuck. Really. There is a major story abroad, but some prima donna of a film-maker getting offended about anti-gay sentiments at one little org certainly isn't it.

I'm continually astounded at how many people who were "at the top" and "in the know" are now venting all over the internet, pouring out their tales of hardship and woe, and "reconnecting with lost friends" to bury the hatchet and seek forgiveness. Even more astounding is that anyone will listen to them.

Here's the truth: the Marty Ratsbums and Chuck Bleatties and Debbie Crooks of the world lost their right to even comment on the whole scene by virtue of having been given absolute trust and failing to handle a major out-ethics situation in top management well known even to the lowliest Scientologist in Australia as long ago as 1978. Theirs was a global betrayal of the highest order, and their complicity in the ensuing fraud makes them just as criminal as any who remain in current management. I sincerely hope the fuckers go to jail with David Miscavige.

You'd expect the likes of Jason Beghe and Paul Haggis to piss and moan a little, after all they're gullible public. But these ex-SO guys ... fuck no.

Blind Freddie could have managed the Scientology networks better, even without knowledge of the OEC, FEBC and Data Series. So get a clue. Get a life. Fuck off and die.

I remember the last amnesty issued many, many years ago. I looked it over and sneered at the SO terminal who showed it to me, "Yeah, maybe I'll forgive you guys ... one day."

Auditor's Toad

Clear as Mud
Yet another thrilling, money-grabbing exposé about Scientology? Who gives a flying fuck. Really. There is a major story abroad, but some prima donna of a film-maker getting offended about anti-gay sentiments at one little org certainly isn't it.

I'm continually astounded at how many people who were "at the top" and "in the know" are now venting all over the internet, pouring out their tales of hardship and woe, and "reconnecting with lost friends" to bury the hatchet and seek forgiveness. Even more astounding is that anyone will listen to them.

Here's the truth: the Marty Ratsbums and Chuck Bleatties and Debbie Crooks of the world lost their right to even comment on the whole scene by virtue of having been given absolute trust and failing to handle a major out-ethics situation in top management well known even to the lowliest Scientologist in Australia as long ago as 1978. Theirs was a global betrayal of the highest order, and their complicity in the ensuing fraud makes them just as criminal as any who remain in current management. I sincerely hope the fuckers go to jail with David Miscavige.

You'd expect the likes of Jason Beghe and Paul Haggis to piss and moan a little, after all they're gullible public. But these ex-SO guys ... fuck no.

Blind Freddie could have managed the Scientology networks better, even without knowledge of the OEC, FEBC and Data Series. So get a clue. Get a life. Fuck off and die.

I remember the last amnesty issued many, many years ago. I looked it over and sneered at the SO terminal who showed it to me, "Yeah, maybe I'll forgive you guys ... one day."

Oh, come on, tell us how you really feel !

Whitedove

Patron Meritorious
Interesting all these different views on the matter.

Although I do agree that Marty Rathbun, Mike Rinder and top execs that have blown and are now talking have committed crimes in the name of 'the greatest good', it is still a good thing that they are out there to make more people aware of what the Church of $cientology really is.

I am not in their shoes, I dont know them personnally, I agree with certain things they do, disagree with some others and maybe one day they might have to face some crimes they have done. I dont have a clue how things will turn out. But right now, this is good. Many people are leaving $cientology because they do realise it is corrupted to its bones.

Whether they decide to go inedependant or just stop believing, its their choices. Main thing, is, the abuses within the 'church' has to be exposed and stopped.

As for Al Quaeda & Cie, there has been wars for a looooooong time between nations in the name of 'religion'.

There is NO conspiracy. I think there is people in position of power taking advantage of the situation but war between nations have existed for a long time.

Just my personal opinion