What's new

OSA Fake Journalist Spy John Connolly

T

TheSneakster

Newest Article on Marty Rathbun's Blog details OSA's long-term use of a "journalist" for intelligence gathering.

Marty Rathbun said:
Jason Beghe phoned me to catch up with hurricane aftermath news. He told me that shortly after the New Yorker story ran a John Connolly, who represents himself as a Vanity Fair regular contributor, phoned Jason. Connolly tried to pump Jason for anything he knew about the New Yorker’s investigation. A covert investigation of the author Lawrence Wright. While doing so Connolly attempted to drive a wedge between Jason on the one side and Mike Rinder and I on the other. Since Jason didn’t just fall off the turnip truck Connolly did, hard.

Chuck Beatty says in the comments he was fooled by this guy for several years. :ohmy:

Everyone in the critic community beware: if you have been talking to this guy, you have been talking direct to OSA. :duh:

If this guy is the source for any "inside information" about anyone, whether critic, ex-Co$ Scientologist, ex-Scientologist, Freezoner or Independent, whatever he has told you is OSA disinformation. You have been warned.

T

TheSneakster

Yes, it's been a standard GO/OSA op since the 70s.

Maybe so, but a specific OSA operative running this standard operation in the present has now been exposed.

I'd be willing to be that Carmel Underwood's mysterious "trusted media contact" (the one who fed her the bullshit that Marty Rathbun had contact "hundreds" of Australian media and political figures opposing Xenophon's Inquiry)was another such operative or had been fed that disinformation by one.

Terril park

Sponsor
Maybe so, but a specific OSA operative running this standard operation in the present has now been exposed.

I'd be willing to be that Carmel Underwood's mysterious "trusted media contact" (the one who fed her the bullshit that Marty Rathbun had contact "hundreds" of Australian media and political figures opposing Xenophon's Inquiry)was another such operative or had been fed that disinformation by one.

Plausible.

Panda Termint

Cabal Of One
Anything is possible I guess, Sneaks, I don't know who told Carmel that story.

Your point about the exposure of Connoly as a here/now example of OSA tactics is well taken. My point is that the GO/OSA has been running this op of "credentialled journalist gathering data from critics" for over 36 years that I know of ie. Connolly is just the tip of the iceberg.

Infinite

Troublesome Internet Fringe Dweller
Hmmm . . . always suspicious when Marty issues an APB DA on someone and then one of his minions pops up over here and uses it to slag off a regular poster at ESMB. No DOX, of course, just innuendo and smear. On those grounds, its just as plausible that John Connolly has been foraging around in his Pellicano-wire-tapping notes and found a Scientology connection - a connection that might be of use to Peter Ltterese's action.

Panda Termint

Cabal Of One
Nah, Sneaks has been asking for dox on that one (Marty contacting Aussie media to divert attention) since day one.
He's been consistent on that count, as usual.

Infinite

Nah, Sneaks has been asking for dox on that one (Marty contacting Aussie media to divert attention) since day one.
He's been consistent on that count, as usual.

Ahhh - gotchya. Frustrating!! In the absence of DOX, I suppose, it comes down to personal credibility: Carmel, hero of the Inquiry - or - Marty, the Lisa Macpherson document shredder and on-going defender of the faith? Perhaps we'll never know for sure, hopefully time will tell.

Karen#1

Gold Meritorious Patron
John Connally~~ pretended "journalist" for VANITY FAIR

Here is John Connally

img-author-photo---john-connolly_223819541290.jpg

POSING as a "Vanity Fair Contributing Editor"
Does "Vanity Fair" know he is Church of Scientology
Office of Special Affairs Intelligence agent ?

Vanity Fair is a highbrow New York Literary magazine.
Not a tabloid.

It is owned by Conde Naste.
I think it would be fun to let their Legal department know
how John Connally is bandying around the name of Vanity Fair while he works for the CULT

I wonder if he has exposed Conde Naste to legal problems as he boldly and flagrantly represented himself as a legitimate Journalist of Vanity Fair when he was spying for Office of Special AFFAIRS, the intelligence arm of DM's cult

Condé Naste
4 Times Square
NY 10036
(212) 286-2860

Nicole

Silver Meritorious Patron
This is a very evil and "good" OSA tactic. A critic might think he/she talks with a journalist and you are talking with OSA...:eyeroll:

Thanks for warning.:yes:

T

TheSneakster

Hmmm . . . always suspicious when Marty issues an APB DA on someone and then one of his minions pops up over here and uses it to slag off a regular poster at ESMB.

(1) There is not one word in my OP which constitutes any sort of statement about Carmel herself, only about the particular information she put forth. Therefore, no "slagging off" of Carmel occured. :duh:

(2) I am my own man and no "minion" of Marty Rathbun or anyone else. Your attempt to so characterize me certainly qualifies as slagging off a regular poster (me) who has been contributing here far longer that you - in fact, I've been here since the first week of ESMB even existing. So, that makes you a hypocrite at a minimum. :eyeroll:

(3) it is always suspicious when a mysterious pseudonymous poster objects to a detailed report (see original blog post and followup comments) of an all-too-obvious OSA operative at work. :yes:

Infinite

From here:

John Connolly is a former New York City detective turned journalist. He is a contributing editor for Vanity Fair magazine, and is currently finishing a book called The Sin Eater on disgraced and imprisoned Hollywood private investigator Anthony Pellicano.

. . . I'm ignoring Marty's DA and waiting for John's book. It'll be interesting to find out who Pellicano was working for when recording Tom and Nicole's converstations leading up to their eventual divorce. Cruise's Lawyer Bert Fields is my likely suspect and, of course, Bert is the man behind the attempt to defend Scientology via the "Open Letter to the German Chancellor" published in the International Herald Tribune.

T

TheSneakster

Blip/Infinite/Whatever other IDs you may be using:

Ahhh - gotchya. Frustrating!! In the absence of DOX, I suppose, it comes down to personal credibility: Carmel, hero of the Inquiry - or - Marty, the Lisa Macpherson document shredder and on-going defender of the faith? Perhaps we'll never know for sure, hopefully time will tell.

Carmel's personal credibility is not now and never was at issue.

She always stated that her information came from a trusted 3rd party she declined to identify.

If anyone had applied critical thinking to the original claim she posted, it should have been immediately evident that it simply was not possible for her contact to have known that purported information even if it were true - without having access to recordings or transcripts of Marty's telephone traffic, which could only have been obtained by unlawful wiretaps.

The supposed "hundreds" of media and political figures working for different competing companies, political parties and government agencies certainly would not have reported their alleged contacts (or the content thereof) with Marty Rathbun to any central clearinghouse from which this mysterious figure could have obtained that data. None of these alleged "hundreds" has yet been produced claiming Marty Rathbun contacted them opposing the Inquiry.

I am sure any such parties would be welcomed with open Arms by Co$ and OSA, so fear of retaliation is not a valid excuse for the lack of eyewitness accounts.

In short, Carmel's account of Marty Rathbun is and was bullshit on its face and almost certainly planted disinformation from OSA. That she or her contact apparently were duped does not say anything at all about either of them, other than being human and susceptible to deceit to a greater or lesser degree, as are we all.

You are mistaken, if you think I accept what Marty Rathbun told me about this matter as being necessarily true, just because he said so, either.

chuckbeatty

Patron with Honors
I'm at a loss on John Connolly. He's obviously a professional information barterer. He's less of an actual reporter and editor, and more of a person who snoops out stories, and he now turns out to be a person who has been in the business of derailing stories and derailing actual material being put out that would reflect badly on Scientology.

He once urged me not to put out the letter I got from Eliot Abelson, but he didn't know, because I didn't explain it to him, that I had already posted Eliot's slightly threatening letter to me, in 2005, right after I received the letter from Abelson.

John's a very smooth talking person, and I suppose that if one is in that type of business, bartering information, one can make one's living getting paid by groups like Scientology which have their own intelligence branch that subcontracts info snooping tactics.

The longrange solution is just eliminate OSA, cancel the OSA Network Orders, and get Scientology out of the intelligence business, no matter what LRH said in policy (like Simon Boliver PL, which is the basis for MSH's role in the Guardian's Office).

I've left three messages on John's answering machine, and normally he calls me back within 24 hours whenever I leave him a message.

He's actually been very helpful in advice and briefing me on things I had questions on.

I think he might just turn this into a story himself, as a way out of this predicament.

Or else, as I suspect, this is above my paygrade, meaning I have no idea about the job security of people like John who are information barterers. They might be secure in their positions, and they might not get in trouble for selling groups like Scientology, information and low level blocking tactics, like when John urged me not to post the letter from Eliot Abelson (when I just hadn't told John I had already posted it).

LRH in one of the PR series says use reporters to write stuff for "us" in certain circumstances.

Hopefully this will break as a news story, on John's activities, and he's NOT answering his phone still though.

But he's in a different league, this I feel is above my paygrade to even speculate if he's gonna get in trouble at Vanity Fair for this, maybe it's allowed, maybe it's part of the culture of news media, that people like John barter news on the side, maybe this is moonlighting and he's within their code of conduct.

I just haven't read about this type of news and information gathering and getting paid for it, like John apparantly has been doing for Scientology for years.

It'd be interesting if any of the others who were "taken" like I was, by John, if any of them are like me NOT getting answers to calls or our emails to John.

In any case, OSA's having to experience some downstats this week.

And likely, if there are other "moles" or whatever John is considered, that all the other info spies that OSA's using are being put on hold for a moment, for fear of being exposed ALSO.

I'm at a loss on John Connolly. He's obviously a professional information barterer. He's less of an actual reporter and editor, and more of a person who snoops out stories, and he now turns out to be a person who has been in the business of derailing stories and derailing actual material being put out that would reflect badly on Scientology.

He once urged me not to put out the letter I got from Eliot Abelson, but he didn't know, because I didn't explain it to him, that I had already posted Eliot's slightly threatening letter to me, in 2005, right after I received the letter from Abelson.

John's a very smooth talking person, and I suppose that if one is in that type of business, bartering information, one can make one's living getting paid by groups like Scientology which have their own intelligence branch that subcontracts info snooping tactics.

The longrange solution is just eliminate OSA, cancel the OSA Network Orders, and get Scientology out of the intelligence business, no matter what LRH said in policy (like Simon Boliver PL, which is the basis for MSH's role in the Guardian's Office).

I've left three messages on John's answering machine, and normally he calls me back within 24 hours whenever I leave him a message.

He's actually been very helpful in advice and briefing me on things I had questions on.

I think he might just turn this into a story himself, as a way out of this predicament.

Or else, as I suspect, this is above my paygrade, meaning I have no idea about the job security of people like John who are information barterers. They might be secure in their positions, and they might not get in trouble for selling groups like Scientology, information and low level blocking tactics, like when John urged me not to post the letter from Eliot Abelson (when I just hadn't told John I had already posted it).

LRH in one of the PR series says use reporters to write stuff for "us" in certain circumstances.

Hopefully this will break as a news story, on John's activities, and he's NOT answering his phone still though.

But he's in a different league, this I feel is above my paygrade to even speculate if he's gonna get in trouble at Vanity Fair for this, maybe it's allowed, maybe it's part of the culture of news media, that people like John barter news on the side, maybe this is moonlighting and he's within their code of conduct.

I just haven't read about this type of news and information gathering and getting paid for it, like John apparantly has been doing for Scientology for years.

It'd be interesting if any of the others who were "taken" like I was, by John, if any of them are like me NOT getting answers to calls or our emails to John.

In any case, OSA's having to experience some downstats this week.

And likely, if there are other "moles" or whatever John is considered, that all the other info spies that OSA's using are being put on hold for a moment, for fear of being exposed ALSO.

Are you saying that you can't figure out how Ok or not Ok it is for journo's and writers to work as a censoring/information blocking - or PR control agent for cults - or anyone else for that matter.?

AND.......
Chuck Beatty, Although I don't have a grasp of the ins and outs of the situations you mentioned, why would you be asked not to put out the letter about Eliot Abelson? Who is a reporter/writer to give you instructions on that?