What's new

Dr Gene Denk - L Ron Hubbard's Personal Physician

Jachs

Gold Meritorious Patron
200px-Allaboutradiation2.jpg

Heh! You learn something new every day. I didn't know Gene Denk co-authored that definitive medical text on radiation - quick, someone alert the Japanese authorities.

The book was not reissued in June 2007 as part of the Golden Age of Knowledge program. Among the text removed from the book in later editions:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_About_Radiation

Early printings of the book were credited on the cover as simply "By a nuclear physicist and a medical doctor", while subsequent ones credited L. Ron Hubbard as being the nuclear physicist and "Medicus" as being the doctor.

By the 1979 edition, the "medical doctor" was credited as being Richard Farley.

In the book's most recent edition, the book's authorship is attributed to Hubbard and Dr. Gene Denk and Dr. Farley R. Spink.

He said that Hubbard's knowledge of radiation, as displayed by his writings in All About Radiation, was the 'sort of knowledge that perhaps a boy who has read Intermediate Physics might, with a lot of misapprehensions and lack of understanding, demonstrate'..

In April 1957, he held the "London Congress on Nuclear Radiation and Health Lectures" at the Royal Empire Society Hall. Three of these lectures were condensed, and became chapters in his book All About Radiation, allegedly written by "a Nuclear Physicist and a Medical Doctor."

The "Nuclear Physicist" was L. Ron Hubbard, the "Medical Doctor" hid behind the pseudonym "Medicus"(the Library of Congress lists him as Richard Farley, quite possibly a Hubbard pseudonym).
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Library/Shelf/atack/bs3-5.htm

However, the section of the book written by Farley/Spink, "The Facts about the Atomic Bomb", is reasonably accurate in terms of scientific veracity and is written in a very different style to Hubbard's usual bombastic tone.It concludes with a declaration of support for some of Hubbard's ideas on vitamin treatments [/U]but has few stylistic similarities with known works by Hubbard. It is most likely, therefore, to have been written by a medically aware Scientologist.

The 1989 edition also contains a introduction from Dr. Gene Denk, which is likewise reasonably scientifically accurate. The good doctor (Denk) is described as "having participated in independent scientific studies of L. Ron Hubbard's Purification [anti-toxin] program". What is not stated, however, is that he was L. Ron Hubbard's personal physician for at least 10 years and a Scientologist for at least as long; the "independence" of his studies is therefore very questionable.
.http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Cowen/essays/radiation.html

Last edited:

Freeminds

Bitter defrocked apostate
No doubt about it - Denk went his grave with many secrets and, surely, resounding cognitive dissonance. From a statement by Robert Vaughn Young

. . .
So, I thought, L. Ron Hubbard, the man who fought psychiatry since 1950 and who railed against the dangers of any psychiatric drugs had died with them in his brain while signing a new last will.
. . .

Interesting statement by Robert Vaughn Young, but if you will excuse this piece of pedantry, LRH didn't sign his last will and testament. It was authorized with a thumbprint.

A person who signs a document would need to be in agreement, or under duress or drugged as RVY reports... but when a thumbprint and the collusion of a few witnesses is all that's required: who's to say that LRH was conscious? How do we know LRH was still alive when the will was changed? Because a bunch of high-ranking Scientologists said so. High-ranking Scientologists are not in general a group known to have a good record where truth or factual accuracy are concerned.

No wonder Dr Denk kept a low profile for a while after the events of early 1986. I wonder what he knew?

This is another of those 'we can't prove that a crime was committed' things that are frequently found in and around Scientology, but in reality that works in the critics' favour. The controversy continues to call into question the legitimacy of modern-day Scientology. What might have been a 'passing on of the torch of Scientology' instead reeks of a clumsy coup.

This is Scientology. They crave respectability, but at each defining moment, they act like gangsters. With 'loyal officers' like that, who needs SPs?

Veda

Sponsor
A friend of mine who is still "in" ,as far as I know, knew Denk pretty well. He told her some LRH stories after Hubbard died. He lived in a trailer next to LRHs motorhome at Creston, and could occasionally hear Hubbard cursing when something "backfired" on him while researching OT levels. Hubbard told him he was researching OT 10 and it was kicking his ass from time to time. It was a long level, evidently. Hubbard had Denk into his motorhome for exams pretty frequently. Once, Denk expressed interest in a folder Hubbard had out labelled "electricity". It was a big , fat folder stuffed with papers. Hubbard told him he would have to show him his "stuff" on electricity some time . He never got around to it. He was into Tesla type research and said to Denk that scientists do not know what electricity really is; they just know how to harness or direct it.

Too bad Dr. Denk couldn't have just told the truth about Hubbard's death at age 74. Instead he told tales of how when he heard Hubbard yelling it was Hubbard's research on OT 10. (!!!)

When the tall tale was presented of Hubbard having "causatively discarded his healthy body because it had become an impediment to research, research that could only be dine completely separate from the body" - requiring for some reason the killing of the body - Denk kept his mouth shut, except to tell tales about Hubbard courageously researching the upper OT levels and, apparently, accidentally electrocuting himself on his electrical OT 10 research. :p

At around 45:35 Jim Dincalci is interviewed about Hubbard the movie mogul, and at 47:38 RV Young is interviewed, Hubbard's death and accompanying "shore story" is addressed at 48:37.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3020827931130963516

Last edited:

Thrak

Gold Meritorious Patron
Last time I saw Denk he was still a "believer" smoking a cig bragging about how wog doctors don't understand cancer. :duh:

But when you look over all of Hubbo's radiation crap and think about the guy going on stage many, many times and think of all the books and recordings, I think you have to tip your cap as he must have been the greatest bullshitter in recent history - maybe ever. I mean it's unbelievable.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Interesting statement by Robert Vaughn Young, but if you will excuse this piece of pedantry, LRH didn't sign his last will and testament. It was authorized with a thumbprint.

Huh? That page you linked to says, "The will was signed, dated, and imprinted with Hubbard's inked thumbprint." I seem to remember seeing the will with the signature online somewhere.

I imagine the thumbprint is genuine, although it wouldn't surprise me if the firm and normal-looking signature wasn't. Although it *would* surprise me if one of the principals involved testified that the signature was false.

Paul

Infinite

Troublesome Internet Fringe Dweller
. . . <snip> . . .
There was no murder and therefore no just reason for slandering Dr. Gene Denk.

A dead person can't be slandered and, in this particular instance, your accusation is FAIL because my statement is the truth. Sorry he's dead and all that, but lets not use it as an excuse to keep the shore stories alive.

lkwdblds

Crusader
Dr. Denk spoke at the Palladium event announcing Hubbard's death

Nice research and refs, Paul. You are right, there was no absolute evidence of other drugs in his body at that time, as this evidence was denied and an autopsy was denied. Still, the following is a pretty damning case against Dr. Denk:

"THE SUSPICIOUS CIRCUMSTANCES OF L. RON HUBBARD'S DEATH ,AND PURPORTED EXECUTION OF ALLEGED LAST WILL AND TESTAMENT PURPORTEDLY DATED JANUARY 25,1987 23. For many years prior to his death, Mr. Hubbard ingested various drugs, many of them allegedly hypnotic and psychiatric drugs, and other medications which were administered by certain assistants of Mr. Hubbard, such as a certain Andre Tabayoyon and Kim Douglas, whose testimony will be submitted with the Petitions sought to be filed herein. One of Mr.

Hubbard's own sons has also testified to these facts in prior proceedings.

24. During the two years before his death, a Dr. Gene Denk was in constant attendance upon Mr. Hubbard on a full time basis. Dr. Gene Denk is understood to be a duly licensed California physician.

25. Approximately two weeks before Mr. Hubbard died, Dr.

Denk left Mr. Hubbard's side in Creston, California and went on a gambling trip to Reno/Lake Tahoe, Nevada accompanied by his wife, Terri Gamboa, Rick Aznaran, and David Miscavige.

In essence, it appears that L. Ron Hubbard's medical support was intentionally withdrawn from him. Prior to this gambling expedition, David Miscavige was reported in prior testimony as stating, in effect, "the IRS indictments are about to come down. The only thing that will save us now is if the Old Man dies."

During their absence in Reno, Nevada, Mr. Hubbard suffered a crippling stroke. Upon information and belief, Mr. Hubbard received no medical attention from any physician licensed to practice in California, until Dr. Denk returned from Reno, Nevada. Dr. Denk had prescribed and administered a number of drugs to Mr. Hubbard, including the psychiatric drug Hydroxyzine (Vistaril) which is usually administered in combination with other hypnotic, psychotic and sedating narcotics and restricted drugs. Indeed, the Coroner's report indicates that there were "ten recent needle marks" in "the right gluteal area" of the dead body.

According to Dr. Denk's statement to the Coroner, Mr. Hubbard also had a "long history of chronic pancreatitis" (which is primarily cause by alcoholism) and a recent history of "dysphrasia." According to the Coroner, Dr. Denk also told the Coroner "of decedent's clinical history which supported a possible neurological problem;" thereby raising issues of cognitive capacity which Mr. Hubbard's personal representatives such as Norman F. Starkey, Sherman D. Lenske, Esq., and Earle Cooley, Esq. should have brought to the attention of this Court. Berry Declaration, Exhibit A, "Investigation," "Report on "Toxicology Report" Post Mortem Examination, 26. Mr. Hubbard's 1979, 1982 and 1983 testamentary instruments made no disposition of any copyrights which cannot, as a matter of law, be transferred by will. In addition, Mary Sue Hubbard had/has a fifty percent community property interest in each of these copyrights.

27. Immediately prior to Mr. Hubbard's death, Dr. Denk, Pat Broeker, Anne Broeker, Steven Pfauth, Ray Mithoff, and possibly others, were in attendance with Mr. Hubbard.

All of them are within the group defined herein as Hubbard's Successors as defined in paragraph 3 herein.

28. Upon information and belief, neither Mr. Hubbard's wife, Mary Sue Hubbard, nor any of his children were present at the time of his death, were not advised of his ailing health and imminent demise, and the Hubbard Successors purposefully deprived the Hubbard family of the opportunity to be with him at his death bed. One day before he died, with his cognitive capacity in serious question, Mr. Hubbard purportedly signed a new will and trust agreement providing, among other things, for purported transfers of the Disputed Works to the Hubbard Successors, and which made certain lesser testamentary provisions for Mr. Hubbard's wife and certain of his children. Significantly the inherently suspect alleged last minute will, for the very first time, purported to unlawfully transfer the Disputed Works to the Hubbard Successors notwithstanding the community property interest of his wife who had been married to him when each of the Disputed Works were allegedly written by Mr. Hubbard alone.

David Miscavige and Dr. Denk misrepresented the significance of the differences between the purported January 23, 1986 Will and the earlier testamentary instruments. Berry Decl.

Exhibit A, Investigation Report, page 4, 2nd full para.

Clearly, those misrepresentations of David Miscavige and Dr. Denk misled the coroner into concluding that there was no reason or motive to suspect foul play and therefore no need to investigate further. Upon information and belief, David Miscavige, Norman Starkey, and others participating provided no opportunity for any of the Hubbard Family members to be involved in these events.

29. The Coroner was unable, and not permitted, to conduct an autopsy of Mr. Hubbard's body. Mr. Hubbard's death was not reported to the authorities for many, many hours until attorney Earle Cooley, Esq. had traveled from Boston, Massachusetts to the ranch at Creston, California, had assessed the situation and then notified a funeral home which became suspicious as a result of the delay in reporting the death, and alerted the Coroner. Berry The provisions of the 1986 will are generally described on pages 6-8 of the draft Memorandum of Points and Authorities attached to the supporting Berry Declaration as Exhibit C."

http://www.holysmoke.org/cos/was-hubbard-murdered.htm

Paul, I never saw Dr. Denk again after the late 80's - I moved out of Calif then. All he did for you was refer you to another place, a free place.

You were still in the SO then, right? That sort of thing is described in detail by the FESer who wrote the report on my second post. (click on it for details)

You say you were happy with Denk at the time. But could you have been prescribed something or given a test by him rather than referred elsewhere? At least he didn't misdiagnose you. Better a referral than a misdiagnosis.

Please click on the link I gave on my second post and read the full report.

I don't know if this gets mentioned later on on this thread but I was at the event where LRH's death was announced to the Scientology public and Dr. Denk spoke there and told a lot of lies. Also, I believe the video is available on youtube.

Dr. Denk made the statement that Hubbard's body was strong and he could have lived many more years if he had wished to live. Dr. Denk corroborated Pat Brokers earlier speech that Hubbard was in good physical shape but his body had now become an impediment to his doing higher research which required that he not have a body. It was stated that Ron simply announced to the Brokers that it was time for him to move on to research his next level, whereupon he lied down on his bed and instantly he was gone.

Dr. Denk did not look all that convincing when he lied for the Int Management Execs including Broker and DM. I left the event strongly suspecting that Hubbard had been ill and had died of natural causes. I underestimated how sick Hubbard actually was.
Lakey

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free
I don't know if this gets mentioned later on on this thread but I was at the event where LRH's death was announced to the Scientology public and Dr. Denk spoke there and told a lot of lies. Also, I believe the video is available on youtube.

Dr. Denk made the statement that Hubbard's body was strong and he could have lived many more years if he had wished to live. Dr. Denk corroborated Pat Brokers earlier speech that Hubbard was in good physical shape but his body had now become an impediment to his doing higher research which required that he not have a body. It was stated that Ron simply announced to the Brokers that it was time for him to move on to research his next level, whereupon he lied down on his bed and instantly he was gone.

Dr. Denk did not look all that convincing when he lied for the Int Management Execs including Broker and DM. I left the event strongly suspecting that Hubbard had been ill and had died of natural causes. I underestimated how sick Hubbard actually was.
Lakey

I don't recall seeing him in any of the videos that are out on this event.

I was in another state visiting an org where they had the satellite of it from LA. I don't even recall Denk speaking at it, althought it was a weird nite for me, finding out Hubbard was dead and listening to all these new people speaking... wondering what to make of it all. Denk could have been in there somewhere......

Hubbard was ill. Did you ever read the coroner report? You can read it here by scrolling down the page at this link to the report links:

Operation Clambake presents: The death of L Ron Hubbard
http://www.xenu.net/archive/hubbardcoroner/

ILove2Lurk

Lisbeth Salander
Lakey,

That was Earle Cooley, the lawyer, who came up on the stage and made those statements you remembered hearing.

Here is a very recent posting from Sarge over on the MR blog:

sarge | April 8, 2011 at 3:29 am | Reply

Rachel, One other little story I would like to tell about Gene while you still have the stage. I already told you but I want to tell others about what a hero Gene was and how he saved LRH’s life. Early ’85 LRH was very sick. Pat was away (again) and Annie had been trying to get ahold of him. Gene kept insisting that LRH needed to go to the hospital. Of course LRH didn’t want to and because of the security situation at the time a trip to the hospital would have meant giving real names etc. Gene finally talked LRH and Annie into it and we loaded LRH into the back of the Subaru wagon. I put blankets down and pillows and LRH could barely walk so we half carried him into the back of the car. Gene and Annie left and I stayed to handle the ranch. LRH spent a week in the hospital in Santa Maria south of Creston. Gene stayed with LRH the whole time. If Gene hadn’t forced it LRH would have died early ’85. I was told LRH had pancreatitis but I think there were other problems. Love​

The real situation was quite different than what was presented on the stage that night.

ILove2Lurk

G

Gottabrain

Lakey

I forgot about that until you mentioned it, Lakey. Good on ya for remembering.

Now that you mentioned it, he DID say that at the event. Almost word for word.

Andre Tabayoyan was always a very honest person, too. Unlike others, his loyalty was first and foremost to L Ron for personal reasons, not to Scientology. He did everything he could to expose what happened and the coverups of L Ron's death because he was his friend.

Andre and his wife, Mary, were good friends of mine in the SO. Andre was loyal to L Ron because L Ron ordered Andre picked up when he had been shipwrecked and actually saved his life. That is how they met. For this reason and his sworn personal loyalty, Andre was his personal bodyguard, valet, and many other things - working directly with Hubbard - for many, many years. Andre personally told me this story many times.

Their relationship and Andre's loyalty had nothing to do with belief in Scn. Afterward, the DM administration took the Tabayoyan's dearly loved son, Cassavius, away from them - with name change and all - causing the Tabayoyans unbelievable heartbreak.

Andre would certainly have seen and heard many negative stories about Hubbard but due to this personal loyalty, would not reveal most of these. Scientology and the SO, however, was another matter.

Point is - if there is ONE person in all of Scn that one would trust was truly L Ron's loyal friend for pure reasons having nothing to do with personal gain, Andre was it. The fact he wasn't even near Hubbard at that time was highly suspect and Andre's info and statements are dependably true. L Ron would have wanted him near him more than anyone else - unless he had completely lost his mind - and nobody would have been more able to physically protect him, either.

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free
Lakey,

That was Earle Cooley, the lawyer, who came up on the stage and made those statements you remembered hearing.

Here is a very recent posting from Sarge over on the MR blog:

Rachel, One other little story I would like to tell about Gene while you still have the stage. I already told you but I want to tell others about what a hero Gene was and how he saved LRH’s life. Early ’85 LRH was very sick. Pat was away (again) and Annie had been trying to get ahold of him. Gene kept insisting that LRH needed to go to the hospital. Of course LRH didn’t want to and because of the security situation at the time a trip to the hospital would have meant giving real names etc. Gene finally talked LRH and Annie into it and we loaded LRH into the back of the Subaru wagon. I put blankets down and pillows and LRH could barely walk so we half carried him into the back of the car. Gene and Annie left and I stayed to handle the ranch. LRH spent a week in the hospital in Santa Maria south of Creston. Gene stayed with LRH the whole time. If Gene hadn’t forced it LRH would have died early ’85. I was told LRH had pancreatitis but I think there were other problems. Love​

The real situation was quite different than what was presented on the stage that night.

ILove2Lurk

Thank you :thumbsup:

Veda

Sponsor
Lakey,

-snip-

Yep. Denk didn't appear at the event. That was Earle Cooley.

Here's Earle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UiwW4mKn2c

An 'RJ 67' excerpt played at the event for the faithful, followed by prolonged cheers and applause:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lPa3L7HEQA&feature=related

Back to reality and truth. In an interview from the BBC 'Secret Lives' program, around 48:00, R.V. Young tells of the invention of the shore story about Hubbard's death and his amazement that the membership bought it:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3020827931130963516

Jachs

Gold Meritorious Patron
from Sarge over on the MR blog:
Early ’85 LRH was very sick. <snip> Gene finally talked LRH and Annie into it and we loaded LRH into the back of the Subaru wagon. LRH spent a week in the hospital in Santa Maria south of Creston. Gene stayed with LRH the whole time. If Gene hadn’t forced it LRH would have died early ’85. I was told LRH had pancreatitis but I think there were other problems. Love​

ILove2Lurk

The truth continues seeping out.

Infinite

Troublesome Internet Fringe Dweller
. . . <snip> . . . Andre and his wife, Mary, were good friends of mine in the SO. Andre was loyal to L Ron because L Ron ordered Andre picked up when he had been shipwrecked and actually saved his life. That is how they met. For this reason and his sworn personal loyalty, Andre was his personal bodyguard, valet, and many other things - working directly with Hubbard - for many, many years. Andre personally told me this story many times.

Their relationship and Andre's loyalty had nothing to do with belief in Scn. Afterward, the DM administration took the Tabayoyan's dearly loved son, Cassavius, away from them - with name change and all - causing the Tabayoyans unbelievable heartbreak . . . <snip> . . .

L Ron Hubbard saved Andre's life . . . and then crushed him.

Here's what I don't get about Scientology: how do you assist in the creation of a healthy society by destroying families?

G

Gottabrain

L Ron Hubbard saved Andre's life . . . and then crushed him.

Here's what I don't get about Scientology: how do you assist in the creation of a healthy society by destroying families?

In all fairness, they were still a close family while L Ron was alive, but Andre was separated from L Ron during most of the 80s, which was strange. How or why this came about and by whose order is anyone's guess.

Mary was coerced to get an abortion under the DM management as well. The Tabayoyans were brutalized by Scn.

Lakey,

Thanks very much for the correction. :thumbsup:

tiptoethrutheminefield

Patron with Honors
Denk was my doctor

I don't have any illuminating anecdotes about him, but all I can say is it makes me sick how I let my "Scientology family" push me into going to him.

He must have made a lot of money being in the money chain. I wonder if it ever bothered him that staff were being starved and denied medical care.

Re: Holy crappola

Holy crappola - it never ceases to astonish me, the criminal behavior of the co$ that never goes 'public'. Would the USofA do anything even if it did?

??????? Truly, I am not sure. :confused2:

yeah.

me too.

thank heaven, the bill of rights and alan turing for esmb

Auditor's Toad

Clear as Mud
I knew Gene Denk both before & after he went " over the rainbow ".

He came back a very different man. A once working Dr. became a reclusive couch potatoe.

Even back then I wondered if he saw too much - and I expect he did. No proof.