What's new

The divorce of Sara Hubbard, April 1951

guanoloco

As-Wased
What's interesting is this is Hubbard's account of "rescuing" Sara Northrup from the Satanic Cult she was in.

Hubbard broke up black magic in America ... L. Ron Hubbard was still an officer of the U.S. Navy, because he was well known as a writer and a philosopher and had friends amongst the physicists, he was sent in to handle the situation. He went to live at the house and investigated the black magic rites and the general situation and found them very bad. ...

Hubbard's mission was successful far beyond anyone's expectations. The house was torn down. Hubbard rescued a girl they were using. The black magic group was dispersed and destroyed and has never recovered.

How did he "rescue" her? Well, if you believe Barbara Kaye, the 20 year-old he was sleeping with behind his wife Sara's back:

He told me how he met Sara - I never knew what to believe. He said he went to a party and got drunk and when he woke up in the morning he found Sara was in bed with him.

Certainly while she was rescued here's what L Sprague de Camp had to say about the girl who was rescued and Hubbard:

The more complete story of Hubbard is that he is now in Fla. living on his yacht with a man-eating tigress named Betty-alias-Sarah, another of the same kind ... He will probably soon thereafter arrive in these parts with Betty-Sarah, broke, working the poor-wounded-veteran racket for all its worth, and looking for another easy mark. Don't say you haven't been warned. Bob [ Robert Heinlein ] thinks Ron went to pieces morally as a result of the war. I think that's fertilizer, that he always was that way, but when he wanted to conciliate or get something from somebody he could put on a good charm act. What the war did was to wear him down to where he no longer bothers with the act.

Later, Hubbard had this to say about the rescued girl:

SARA NORTHRUP (HUBBARD): formerly of 1003 S. Orange Grove Avenue, Pasadena, Calif. 25 yrs. of age, 5'10", 140 lbs. Currently missing somewhere in California. Suspected only. Had been friendly with many Communists. Currently intimate with them but evidently under coercion. Drug addiction set in fall 1950. Nothing of this known to me until a few weeks ago. Separation papers being filed and divorce applied for.

of course, he forgets to mention that she's "missing" because he had just kidnapped her and dumped her off in AZ, and:

He urged the FBI to start a "round-up" of "vermin Communists or ex-Communists", starting with Sara, and declared:

I believe this woman to be under heavy duress. She was born into a criminal atmosphere, her father having a criminal record. Her half-sister was an inmate of an insane asylum. She was part of a free love colony in Pasadena. She had attached herself to a Jack Parsons, the rocket expert, during the war and when she left him he was a wreck. Further, through Parsons, she was strangely intimate with many scientists of Los Alamo Gordos [Alamogordo in New Mexico was where the first atomic bomb was tested]. I did not know or realize these things until I myself investigated the matter. She may have a record . . . Perhaps in your criminal files or on the police blotter of Pasadena you will find Sara Elizabeth Northrop, age about 26, born April 8, 1925, about 5'9", blond-brown hair, slender . . . I have no revenge motive nor am I trying to angle this broader than it is. I believe she is under duress, that they have something on her and I believe that under a grilling she would talk and turn state's evidence.

of course once the divorce is final it's this:

On June 12, Hubbard was awarded a divorce in the County Court of Sedgwick County, Kansas on the basis of Sara's "gross neglect of duty and extreme cruelty", which had caused him "nervous breakdown and impairment to health." She did not give evidence but left Wichita as soon as Alexis was returned to her. Speaking to Scientologists around this time, Hubbard blamed shadowy outside forces for the bad publicity: "We have just been through the saw mill, through the public presses. Every effort was made to butcher my personal reputation. A young girl is nearly dead because of this effort. My wife Sara."

and this:

The money and glory inherent in Dianetics was entirely too much for those with whom I had the bad misfortune to associate myself ... including a woman who had represented herself as my wife and who had been cured of severe psychosis by Dianetics, but who, because of structural brain damage would evidently never be entirely sane. ... Fur coats, Lincoln cars and a young man without any concept of honor so far turned the head of the woman who had been associated with me that on discovery of her affairs, she and these others, hungry for money and power, sought to take over and control all of Dianetics

then when his daughter from this tryst attempts to reach him he has this to say about the rescued girl:

"Your mother was with me as a secretary in Savannah in late 1948 . . . In July 1949 I was in Elizabeth, New Jersey, writing a movie. She turned up destitute and pregnant." He claimed that Sara had been a Nazi spy during the war and accused her and Hollister of using the divorce case to seize control of Dianetics: "They obtained considerable newspaper publicity, none of it true, and employed the highest priced divorce attorney in the US to sue me for divorce and get the foundation in Los Angeles in settlement. This proved a puzzle since where there is no legal marriage, there can't be any divorce."

here's more:

In a secret church policy 'Intelligence Actions - Covert Intelligence Data Collection' of 1969, Hubbard outlined the communist-psychological conspiracy that was out to crush Scientology and further stated: "Their first blast was the San Francisco papers, Sept 1950, quoting the publisher (of Book One) Ceppos being critical of me (he was a communist) followed by the LA papers, pushed then by the Sara Komkovadamanov (alias Northrup) 'divorce' actions, followed by attempted kidnapping of myself. Other details were pushed into it including murder of four and so on. This was a full complete covert operation. At the back of it was Miles Hollister (psychology student), Sara Komkovadamanov (housekeeper at the place nuclear physicist stayed near Caltech)..."

L Ron Hubbard

Sara Northrup

Barbara Kaye

So the story goes that he rescued this girl from a Satanic cult by getting drunk and boinking her. Right on. Then he bolts with her and wipes out Parsons and goes and marries her while he's already married to his 1st wife who has his kids and he abandons to their own fate never paying child support (but that's another story)
When he talked about his first wife, the picture he put out of himself was of this poor wounded fellow coming home from the war and being abandoned by his wife and family because he would be a drain on them.
and what's not mentioned is the abduction of Sara and Alexis and all that mayhem but at the end he says that he, himself, did not know anything about her connection to Parsons and a free love colony until he investigated the matter.

So what was she - a commie spy? A Nazi spy? WTF?

Also it was first a Black Magic cult...then a free love colony...then a place nuclear physicists stayed at...?

What a doozie, Ronnie!

Last edited:

Jachs

Gold Meritorious Patron
Good score on "Barbara Kaye" link guanoloco, i hadnt seen it before

Hubbard really did screw them all- out of 13 at the founding dianetic era- all attacked by hubbard.

L. Ron Hubbard's PR assistant Barbara for the next year was in a unique position.

Thats taking Pubic Relations to a w-hole new level.

Affidavits after Affidavits, interviews after interviews saying Hubbard was a Scociopath, but he fooled us all.

Somewhere L Ron Jr (nibs) said he saw his dad doing an abortion with a coat hanger on Polly?

guanoloco

As-Wased
Mary Sue (who was pregnant when she married him)

So I found these!

She (Mary Sue Whipp) became involved in Hubbard's Dianetics in 1952, while still a student at the University of Texas at Austin, becoming a Dianetics auditor. She soon became involved in a relationship with Hubbard and married him in March 1952.

Diana Hubbard was born in London, the daughter of the founder of Dianetics and Scientology, L. Ron Hubbard. She was born Diana Meredith DeWolf Hubbard on September 24, 1952, to L. Ron Hubbard and his wife Mary Sue Hubbard. She was the first child born to Mary Sue and L. Ron Hubbard.

Mary Sue Hubbard

Diana Hubbard

Easy enough to establish!

NOTE: Interesting to see that she is named with DeWolf and that is the name Nibs selected in lieu of Hubbard when he had his name changed to Ron DeWolf...

guanoloco

As-Wased
One more big fat post - notice that June 1951 is the last he sees his wife Sara and by Jan 1952 he has Mary Sue pregnant.

From here.

Alexis Hubbard - by Div 6

The "official" biographies of L. Ron Hubbard mention his 4 children by his third wife, Mary Sue Hubbard:

Diana, Quentin, Arthur and Suzette. Scant mention is made of his first wife (Polly, by which he had 2 children, L Ron Hubbard Jr, and Katherine May) and NO mention is made of his 2nd wife, Sara Northrup, at least officially.

Their union was bigamous, (he married Sara Aug. 10th, 1946) while his divorce from Polly was not final until Dec. 24th, 1957. They had one child, Alexis, who was 3 months old when "Dianetics, the Modern Science of Mental Health" was released in May of 1950. They met during Hubbard's "Black Magic" interlude with Jack Parsons.

In "Messiah or Madman" (http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Library/S...eld/us-02.html) Bent Corydon describes this time period thus"

"On August 10, 1946, Hubbard and Sara were married in Washington, D.C., in spite of the fact that Hubbard was still married to Polly. Sara did not know about the existing marriage to Polly, or about Hubbard's two children.

Hubbard and Sara ended up living in a trailer in Port Orchard, Washington, just a few miles from Polly and the two children in Bremerton, whom he occasionally visited. A year and four months after marrying Sara, his divorce from his first wife was granted. In April of 1950, just before the publication of Dianetics: The Modern Science of Mental Health, Hubbard became a father for the third time to Alexis, his daughter with Sara.

Unfortunately, the marriage to Sara was also fated to end in failure. Toward the end of their marriage, both Hubbard and Sara became involved in extra-marital affairs.

Sara left Hubbard early in 1951, accusing him of being "paranoid schizophrenic." Hubbard, perhaps having a legitimate worry in this regard, retaliated by first kidnapping Alexis from the Hubbard Dianetics Foundation premises in Los Angeles, and then by kidnapping Sara and trying to have her declared insane in order to prevent her from doing same to him.

Sara Hubbard, in her divorce complaint, alleged that Hubbard had "repeatedly subjected her to systematic torture, including loss of sleep, beatings, and strangulations and scientific torture experiments." According to Sara, when Hubbard realized that a divorce was inevitable, he asked Sara to kill herself, fearing that a divorce would ruin his reputation.

She said that Hubbard kept her from sleeping for four days, then gave her sleeping pills, nearly killing her. And that once when he nearly strangled her, he ruptured the eustachian tube in her ear, permanently impairing her hearing.

There were other allegations as well, and the conclusion reached in the divorce complaint was that Hubbard was "hopelessly insane."

Hubbard fled to Cuba with baby Alexis, who was then nearly a year old. Eventually, after moving to Wichita to establish the Wichita Foundation with financier Don Purcell, he reached a settlement with Sara in which he agreed to return Alexis to her if she would recant her accusations of him.

On June 12th of 1951, Sara traveled to Wichita to collect Alexis, signing a statement prepared by Hubbard, stating that the things she had said about him were untrue and that L. Ron Hubbard "is a fine and brilliant man."

She caught a bus back to Los Angeles with baby Alexis. She never saw Hubbard again. "

Eerily, his behavior during this affair foreshadows later "developments" in Scientology "control" measures "developed" in the Sea Org, ie: sleep deprivation, violence, extreme working conditions, etc.

Of course a divorce is an emotional, heated affair. Further inquiries into her allegations were documented here: http://www.religio.de/books/lifeti/sara_bg.htm

Years later, in the aftermath of "Operation Freakout" (in which the CoS attempted to frame author Paulette Cooper for making bomb threats) Sara sent a letter to Paulette, commiserating in the shared wrath they felt from a "betrayed" LRH. The letter is webbed here: http://www.holysmoke.org/pc/aff-sn.htm

"Mar 20, 1972

Dear Paulette,

Thank you for sending the photostat of the column concerning Ron.

I really think he is a terribly destructive man - and mad as a hatter.

Last fall a couple of men came here to my home on Maui (Hawaii). They looked like undertakers' assistants. They were very pale - wore cheap black suits, white shirts, dark ties.

They told me they were "agents", but they wouldn't tell me what, or who, they were agents for. They wouldn't show me any identification. They had a long list of personal questions to ask me and they had a "warning" to give me. They told me that people posing as reporters might try to get me to talk about Ron but I would be in trouble if I said anything at all to them.

They wanted to come in the house but I wouldn't let them. I told them I wouldn't speak with them unless they came with identification. They said they'd "check with headquarters and be back this evening". I never saw them again.

My older daughter [Alexis Valerie] (who is Ron's daughter) was home over the holidays. When she arrived back at college there was a man who had been waiting for her in the local inn. He had been there 3 or 4 days.

She asked him to come to her Dorm to talk with him. He told her he was Ron's agent. He had several typewritten pages of "statements" to read her. It had obviously been written by Ron.

It said to her that she was illegitimate - that I was a "street-walker" he had hired as a combination housekeeper-secretary. He said that he fired me and that I came back to his doorstep "destitute and pregnant" and that out of his great heart he had taken me in to see me "through my trouble".

He said that when Alexy was a "Toddler" she was a cute little thing so he took her and a cat, "Motor Boat", along on his wanderings "as pets" for 2 years.

[Alexy was 15 months old when we were divorced]

He also said that during World War II I was a Nazi spy. (He used to tell people that I was a Communist spy who received orders from Moscow by telepathic control). I don't know why he had me change sides.

He said that I had been "used by those in control to discredit Mr. Hubbard." He said he forgave me but it made him very sad.

The paper was signed, "Your good friend, J. Edgar Hoover". The agent told Alexy he was an F.B.I. agent. He would not allow her to inspect it - would only read it to her. At the end he asked her if she had any questions.

She was both angry and shocked that Ron could do such a thing. She told him - "the agent" - it was self-explanatory and asked him to leave. She has had a feeling that her father was a rather romantic figure. These paranoid ravings were frightening to her. She had not realized how sick he was before this incident.

I was furious that he would try to hurt Alexy - I wrote him a long letter telling him what I thought of him for inflicting his madness on Alexy but before I sent it Alexy called and begged me to do nothing. She said, quite rightly, that he was crazy enough to do anything. She asked me to just be thankful that we had escaped contact through all these years.

I really don't know why this recent interest on his part.

Last summer Alexy was in England and dropped by St. Annes Hill [Saint Hill Manor?] - she thought perhaps she could share dinner with him. She was naturally curious about him. She didn't see him.

Maybe he thinks she's going to sue him for back child-support? Maybe he thinks she's going to demand a portion of his estate? Maybe - - - ? I just don't know. Maybe he just resents the fact that I left him.

I hope that when you win your court case, as you must, that you collect court costs and reparations.

His sickness is not just destructive, it is also contagious. I hate to think how many weak people have been harmed by this man.

The day of my divorce from Ron was like a day of rebirth for me. I feel that Alexy and I escaped from a death-in-life situation.

I am really afraid of him. He has such control over his people - and so many of them - that even from England he could do something to hurt Alexy. You have no idea the lengths to which he can go (or, maybe you do?).

These visits from his "agents" are just warnings. The two who came to see me told me as much. It is really frightening not knowing what he might do next.

I had hoped that he had forgotten us - put us out of his mind. Perhaps he thinks I will testify against him in one of the many court cases?

Forgive this rambling letter. I never tell anyone that I was married to Ron - so I have no one to tell about these weird visits. I know you are concerned about Ron so you have the recipients of my meanderings on the subject.

I'm sorry that I never met you. Please do write and tell me what happens with your case. Ron has the advantage of money - but you have rationality on your side. Surely that must be more important. "

Hubbard blamed the breakup of the LA Dianetics foundation on Sara and her communist connections: http://www.xenu.net/archive/FBI/fbi-89.html

Another letter from Hubbard to the Justice department fills in more details:
http://www.xenu.net/archive/FBI/fbi-110.html

In a secret church policy 'Intelligence Actions - Covert Intelligence Data Collection' of 1969, Hubbard outlined the communist-psychological conspiracy that was out to crush Scientology and further stated: "Their first blast was the San Francisco papers, Sept 1950, quoting the publisher (of Book One) Ceppos being critical of me (he was a communist) followed by the LA papers, pushed then by the Sara Komkovadamanov (alias Northrup) 'divorce' actions, followed by attempted kidnapping of myself. Other details were pushed into it including murder of four and so on. This was a full complete covert operation. At the back of it was Miles Hollister (psychology student), Sara Komkovadamanov (housekeeper at the place nuclear physicist stayed near Caltech)..."

Alexis is not mentioned in any official Church publications.

guanoloco

As-Wased
Good score on "Barbara Kaye" link guanoloco, i hadnt seen it before

Hubbard really did screw them all- out of 13 at the founding dianetic era- all attacked by hubbard.

L. Ron Hubbard's PR assistant Barbara for the next year was in a unique position.

Thats taking Pubic Relations to a w-hole new level.

Affidavits after Affidavits, interviews after interviews saying Hubbard was a Scociopath, but he fooled us all.

Somewhere L Ron Jr (nibs) said he saw his dad doing an abortion with a coat hanger on Polly?

So I've got a stapled copy of DIANETICS: AXIOMS copyrighted 1951 by you know who. Here's word for word what it has to say about Sara and others.

The concept of clear was, fortunately or unfortunately, entered upon in 1948, when it was discovered that a person from whom all available engrams had been removed manifested a happy and carefree attitude toward existence. It was a hidden fact that this attitude was chiefly derived from the rehabilitation of his self-determinism, not from the mere mechanical reduction of engrams. The clear basically was simply a person in whom no further engrams could be discovered. The clear should have been defined as a person who attained tone $ on the tone scale, not a person from whom the engrams had been removed. Enthusiasm of associates soon brought the status of clear into a God-likeness which was unattainable in the hands of unskilled and low-toned auditors. This concept, more than any other, has served to aid those who would injure Dianetics.

Various aspects and ramifications of technique developed until 1949. This work had been unassisted in any way and had developed, indeed some slight bitterness toward the field's perfectly competent help, but which had refused flatly to either investigate results or further these investigations on their own.

One cannot continually experiment with aberration without accidents. Fortunately, in my hands no pre-clears have come to harm. An astonishingly low number of those treated even by the inept in the society have suffered because of Dianetics. An even more astonishing large number have benefited, even by inexpert auditing.

In the fall of 1949 it became necessary to attempt to codify techniques for the training of others in these processes. This was not at first envisioned as a difficult proceeding. A thesis had been written in 1948. It was reviewed and repaired and an effort was made to indoctrinate others. At the time this effort was began, there were to hand, unfortunately, only psychotics who had been more or less alleviated by Dianetics. Amongst these was a former Army doctor who had been discharged from the military service because of psychosis. In view of this man's degree, every effort was made to train him. A time had been reached, however, when I could no longer deliver psychotherapy in the quantities I had given it in the past. It was thought that auditors could be trained into teams and thus, this doctor and his wife were trained, as well as two others, including a woman who had represented herself as my wife and who had been cured of a severe psychosis by Dianetics, but who, because of structural brain damage would evidently never be entirely sane. And these early trainees were all uniformly failures as auditors. It required nearly a year to discover where the failures of communication lay. During that year the excitement Dianetics was causing by word of mouth through the country was such that one had no choice but to write a book. Thus, "Dianetics: The Modern Science of Mental Health" was published. Experience in codifying these techniques was even more absent than I had appreciated. Further, the fact that I had not given early associates my own time and treatment caused them to exhibit a shadow, which to psychotherapy would have been miraculous, of the results which could be attained by Dianetics. So far as I was concerned at this time the whole subject was out of control. I could not begin to answer demand and thus the Foundation was organized. At least, I reasoned with myself, here was adequate research ground in which to prove up the communication of techniques and develop them from my old practices into articulation, so that others could duplicate them.

The money and glory inherent in Dianetics was entirely too much for those with whom I had had the bad misfortune to associate myself. The ex-psychotic doctor, the woman who had been my wife, even the publisher of the book were unable to withstand the altitude and eminence to which they had been raised, if one could consider that poor and unethical practice in a new and struggling subject could be called eminence. Developments in Dianetics came almost to a standstill through the turmoil and upset occasioned in its organizations by the very founders of them. Two of the early associates, John W. Campbell and J. A. Winter, became bitter and violent because I refused to let them write on the subject of Dianetics, for I considered their knowledge too slight and their own abberrations too broad to permit such a liberty with the science. For I did not even know how to codify it better, although I was willing to learn. Fur coats, Lincoln cars and a young man without any concept of honor so far turned the head of the woman who had been associated with me that on discovery of her affairs, she and these others, hungry for money and power, sought to take over and control all of Dianetics. This disgraceful and heart-breaking insanity in an organization which had been dedicated to sanity is at best an adequate comment on them: Barbarism of a society without psychotherapy, or an understanding of the humanities. Nothing, if not this, could have called me so severely back to my task of developing, codifying and communicating Dianetics.

The knowledge so gained was hard-won.

This goes on to then describe Science of Survival, which has already been written.

What's interesting are the paragraphs on clear being overly promoted by associates and then Winters and Campbell becoming violent.

Take a look at this:

Hubbard's supporters soon began to have doubts about Dianetics. Winter became disillusioned and wrote that he had never seen a single convincing Clear: "I have seen some individuals who are supposed to have been 'clear,' but their behavior does not conform to the definition of the state. Moreover, an individual supposed to have been 'clear' has undergone a relapse into conduct which suggests an incipient psychosis." He also deplored the Foundation's omission of any serious scientific research. Dianetics lost public credibility in August 1950 when a presentation by Hubbard before an audience of 6,000 at the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles failed disastrously. He introduced a Clear named Sonya Bianca and told the audience that as a result of undergoing Dianetic therapy she now possessed perfect recall. However, Gardner writes, "in the demonstration that followed, she failed to remember a single formula in physics (the subject in which she was majoring) or the color of Hubbard's tie when his back was turned. At this point, a large part of the audience got up and left."

Hubbard also faced other practitioners moving into leadership positions within the Dianetics community. It was structured as an open, public practice in which others were free to pursue their own lines of research and claim that their approaches to auditing produced better results than Hubbard's. The community rapidly splintered and its members mingled Hubbard's ideas with a wide variety of esoteric and even occult practices. By late 1950, the Elizabeth, N.J. Foundation was in financial crisis and the Los Angeles Foundation was more than $200,000 in debt. Winter and Art Ceppos, the publisher of Hubbard's book, resigned in acrimonious circumstances. Campbell also resigned, criticizing Hubbard for being impossible to work with, and blamed him for the disorganization and financial ruin of the Foundations. By the summer of 1951, the Elizabeth, N.J. Foundation and all of its branches had closed

Last edited:

LongTimeGone

Silver Meritorious Patron
I would sure like to know what an event which occurred in 1951, is "breaking news".

My mind boggles.

For those brainwashed by the cult and kept from the truth, then this would be breaking news.

One way that we can help people to break free from the mental prison that is $cientology is to keep this info, new or old, available and not let it fall into the forgotten realms.

LTG

guanoloco

As-Wased
OK, here's this that I almost forgot:

Ron offers a $10,000 reward for clearing his wife, March 1951

By 1951, L. Ron Hubbard's relations with his wife Sara were at a low ebb. He had taken a mistress, he had kidnapped his wife and daughter, he had attempted to have Sara declared insane and he had denounced her to the FBI as a suspected Communist. Touchingly, he made a final attempt to cure her of the "aberrations" which he believed were driving her into the arms of her "Communist" lover, Miles Hollister, and in the following telegram offered a $10,000 reward to any Dianetics auditor who could "clear" her.

tel_dess.gif

which is followed by this:

Ron believes "they" are after him, May 1951

L. Ron Hubbard's paranoia reached a fever pitch by mid-1951, with his Dianetics Foundation beset by creditors, criticised by the media and medical profession for its "quackery" and under scrutiny for being a "psycho-sexual racket" (sic). He believed that a sinister Communist conspiracy was behind his troubles. At the time, he was having a sporadically passionate affair with a pretty 20-year-old Dianeticist, Barbara Kaye, with whom he was planning to elope. She soon realised that Ron was, in her own words, "disturbed". In a 1986 interview, she said:

He was highly paranoid and would be rushing along the street with me and I would say, "Why are you walking so fast?" He'd look over his shoulder and say, "Don't you know what it's like to be a target ?"

At all times he thought the American Psychological Association and the AMA and CIA had hit men after him... he thought everyone was after him. This was long before the IRS was after him. No one was after him at that time, but he certainly had delusions.

tel_barb.gif

There's a ton more stuff from here.

Jachs

Gold Meritorious Patron
Your on a mission .

Hubbard was rampant.

$10,000 in march 1951 offer to clear Sara, doesnt include her lover Holister.

With
In 1938-39 I met a girl in New York, Helen, who pleased me very much physically. I loved her and she me. The affair would have lasted had not Polly found out. Polly made things so miserable that I finally detested her and became detested by Helen, who two-timed me on my return to New York in 1941.

In 1942 - December 17th or thereabouts - while training in Miami, Florida, I met a girl named Ginger who excited me. She was a very loose person but pretended a great love for me. From her I received an infection of gonnohorea.My wife came to Portland. I took what precautions I could.

During my Princeton sojourn I was very tired and harrassed and spent weekends with a writer friend in Philadelphia. He almost forced me to sleep with his wife.Meanwhile I had a affair with a woman named Ferne.

Polly pretended a hollow passion which disgusted me. But I am lingeringly fond of her even so. I am also nostalgic about Helen.

I have a very bad masturbatory history. I was taught when I was 11 (Seattle)and, despite guilt, fear of insanity, etc. etc. I persisted.

http://www.lermanet.com/reference/Admissions.pdf

“In my father’s private circle,” Ron Jr. explains, “there were lots of mistresses. When I was younger, I participated in private orgies with him (Ron Sr) and three or four other women.

Ann Bailey in an affidavit given to the Clearwater hearing in 1980. She claimed that, when a member of the Sea Org, in late 1975 she was taken by high-ranking officials to a luxurious bedroom on the top floor of a Scientology building and left there with an older man, whose description fits Hubbard. Despite a lack of erection he performed the sexual act with her, but very slowly, in the way advocated by Crowley, which he called karezza. As he lay motionless on top of her, never looking at her, she felt that her mind was being ripped away from her by force.

Last edited:

thetanic

Gold Meritorious Patron
Wait a second!!! This can't be right!!

Where's that interview where he says "I never had a second wife."?

Our Ron must have completely forgotten about Sara in the interview; either that or the cult's biographer made it all up.

She wasn't legally his wife, so it's technically correct that Sara wasn't his wife, though they lived together as husband and wife.

Veda

Sponsor
She wasn't legally his wife, so it's technically correct that Sara wasn't his wife, though they lived together as husband and wife.

"Separation papers being filed and applied for."

L. Ron Hubbard, writing of Sara Northrup Hubbard.

Call it a common law marriage, call it what you will, they were married.

Jeez, the court recognized it as a marriage, and they had a divorce.

guanoloco

As-Wased

Here's the infamous HHoax Hubbard Law of Commotion - the one where equal and opposite truths exist simultaneously.

You'll notice in the material I posted he comments that she was his wife "my wife, Sara" but when it comes to the interview - "I never had a second wife".

Ron had an M/U...veridical.

veridical

ve·rid·i·cal/vəˈridikəl/Adjective
1. Truthful.
2. Coinciding with reality: "is his recall veridical?"

guanoloco

As-Wased

Ooooooh, you must mean the following from Penthouse (I've included more than just the quote to put the perspective of the Satanic cult orgies in their proper light.):

Penthouse: Did he write the book off the top of his head? Did he do any real research?

Hubbard: No research at all. When he has answered that question over the years, his answer has changed according to which biography he was writing. Sometimes he used to write a new biography every week. He usually said that he had put thirty years of research into the book. But no, he did not. What he did, reaily, was take bits and pieces from other people and put them together in a blender and stir them all up --and out came Dianetics! All the examples in the book --some 200 "real-life experiences" --were just the result of his obsessions with abortions and unconscious states... In fact, the vast majority of those incidents were invented off the top of his head. The rest stem from his own secret life, which was deeply involved in the occult and black-magic. That involvement goes back to when he was sixteen, living in Washington. D.C. He got hold of the book by Alistair Crowley called The Book of Law. He was very interested in several things that were the creation of what some people call the Moon Child. It was basically an attempt to create an immaculate conception --except by Satan rather than by God. Another important idea was the creation of what they call embryo implants --of getting a satanic or demonic spirit to inhabit the body of a fetus. This would come about as a result of black-magic rituals, which included the use of hypnosis, drugs, and other dangerous and destructive practices. One of the important things was to destroy the evidence if you failed at this immaculate conception. That's how my father became obsessed with abortions. I have a memory of this that goes back to when I was six years old. It is certainly a problem for my father and for Scientology that I rememoer this. It was around 1939, 1940, that I watched my father doing something to my mother. She was lying on the bed and he was sitting on her, facing her feet. He had a coat hanger in his hand. There was blood all over the place. I remember my father shouting at me. "Go back to bed!" A little while later a doctor came and took her off to the hospital. She didn't talk about it for quite a number of years. Neither did my father.

Penthouse: He was trying to perform an abortion?

Hubbard:
According to him and my mother, he tried to do it with me. I was born at six and a half months and weighed two pounds, two ounces. I mean, I wasn't born: this is what came out as a result of their attempt to abort me. It happened during a night of partying --he got involved in trying to do a black-magic number. Also, I've got to complete this by saying that he thought of himself as the Beast 666 incarnate.

Penthouse: The devil?

Hubbard: Yes. The Antichrist. Alestair Crowley thought of himself as such. And when Crowley died in 1947, my father then decided that he should wear the cloak of the beast and become the most powerful being in the universe.

Penthouse:
You were sixteen years old at that time. What did you believe in?

Hubbard: I believed in Satanism. There was no other religion in the house! Scientology and black magic. What a lot of people don't realize is that Scientology is black magic that is just spread out over a long time period. To perform black magic generally takes a few hours or, at most, a few weeks. But in Scientology it's stretched out over a lifetime, and so you don't see it. Black magic is the inner core of Scientology --and it is probably the only part of Scientology that really works. Also, you've got to realize that my father did not worship Satan. He thought he was Satan. He was one with Satan. He had a direct pipeline of communication and power with him. My father wouldn't have worshiped anything. I mean, when you think you're the most powerful being in the universe, you have no respect for anything, let alone worship.

Read all about it here:

guanoloco

As-Wased
Then he bolts with her and wipes out Parsons and goes and marries her while he's already married to his 1st wife who has his kids and he abandons to their own fate never paying child support (but that's another story)

Well, time for this story:

Three years later Hubbard entered the US Navy for war service. Other than a period in 1943 when Hubbard was stationed in Astoria, Oregon during the fitout of the ill-fated USS PC-815, she appears to have seen relatively little of her husband. It was clear by the end of the war that the marriage was doomed. She had briefly considered moving to California to be with her husband during his posting there, but refused as she did not want to uproot her children. By this time she had moved in with Hubbard's parents in Bremerton.

For his part, Hubbard had moved in with the rocket scientist and occultist John Whiteside Parsons in Pasadena, California, and had begun an intense affair with Parsons' girlfriend Sara Northrup Hollister. By her own account, Grubb did not see Hubbard at all between 1945 and June 1947. Hubbard later said that she had "become involved with another man and when her service allotment ceased just before the war's end, sought to obtain and was refused a divorce."

Divorce

On August 10, 1946 Hubbard married Sara Hollister, with whom he had been living for about a year. Grubb filed for divorce in Port Orchard, Washington on April 14, 1947 on the grounds of "desertion and non-support" as neither she nor her children were obtaining any support from her absent husband. She had no idea that he had already committed bigamy by being married to another woman nor did Hollister know until then about Grubb; according to her, "I did not discover that he was still married to her until after the divorce proceedings had begun." He agreed to the divorce on June 1 and subsequently agreed to Grubb having custody of the children, costs and $25 a month maintenance for each child. The divorce was finalized on December 24, 1947. (What a Christmas party that must've been! :thumbsup:)

Hubbard later said that "it was I who obtained the divorce and have never really had an upset marital background" and that he got the divorce when "I was written to and advised by the judge that I should obtain one as he was tired of service wives deserting their husbands."

Despite the divorce decree, Hubbard appears to have avoided meeting his side of the agreement. Around February/March 1951, Grubb sued him for maintenance, charging that her former husband had 'promoted a cult called Dianetics', had authored the bestseller Dianetics: The Modern Science of Mental Health, owned valuable property and was well able to afford payment of maintenance for his two children. She demanded 42 months of support payments that Hubbard had failed to make since their settlement, totaling $2,503.79. Hubbard had also failed to pay a debt to the National Bank of Commerce, taken out in 1940, which with interest now came to $889.55. Hubbard responded by saying that Grubb should not have custody of the children because she "drinks to excess and is a dipsomaniac".

In April 1951, Hollister filed for a divorce from Hubbard after he left for Cuba with their daughter Alexis Valerie, accusing him of "paranoid schizophrenia" and of subjecting her to "systematic torture". The case made newspaper headlines, as Hubbard was by now famous following the success of Dianetics. Grubb evidently saw the headlines and wrote to Hollister on May 2 to tell her:

If I can help in any way, I'd like to - you must get Alexis in your custody - Ron is not normal. I had hoped that you could straighten him out. Your charges probably sound fantastic to the average person - but I've been through it - the beatings, threats on my life, all the sadistic traits you charge - twelve years of it. I haven't asked for anything but with the money rolling in from "Dianetics" I had hoped to get enough for plastic surgery for Kay's birthmark - Please believe I do so want to help you get Alexis.​

Virginia Downsborough (Virginia Downsborough Tech Staff DECLARED SP Clear #39 Declared by Current Church Leadership) had this to say:

When he talked about his first wife, the picture he put out of himself was of this poor wounded fellow coming home from the war and being abandoned by his wife and family because he would be a drain on them.

Margaret Grubb

Last edited:

guanoloco

As-Wased
Here's some more intrigue:

It was not Hubbard's style to be satisfied with simply blackening the reputation of his enemies - he wanted revenge. An opportunity presented itself in the unlovely form of Senator Joe McCarthy, the self-seeking demagogue who, in February 1950, had accused the State Department of being riddled with Communists and Communist sympathizers. The atmosphere of fear and suspicion generated during the witch-hunts that followed cast a shadow across America; almost nothing was worse, during the era of McCarthyism, than to be a 'Commie', or be thought to be a 'Commie'. On 3 November 1950, the general counsel of the Hubbard Dianetic Research Foundation in Elizabeth contacted the FBI and said that Art Ceppos, president of Hermitage House, was a Communist sympathizer who had recently tried to get hold of the Foundation's mailing list of sixteen thousand names which would be 'valuable to anyone interested in circulating Communist party literature'.

Hubbard stayed less than a week in Elizabeth and made little attempt to resolve the financial crisis facing the Foundation. He had absolutely no interest in balance sheets and operated on the optimistic, if unrealistic, belief that somehow everything would come out all right in the end. Further problems, of a more personal nature, arose when he returned to Los Angeles: he began to suspect his wife was having an affair. One evening he had insisted on an outlandish double date with his wife and his lover. Barbara, who hated the idea, reluctantly showed up to meet Ron and Sara at a Los Angeles restaurant in the company of Miles Hollister, one of the instructors from the LA Foundation. 'I think Sara must have known what was going on,' said Barbara. 'She was very hostile. At one point in the evening we were talking about guns and she said I looked like the type to carry a Saturday night special.'

The dinner party back-fired on Hubbard - his lover's date became his wife's lover. Miles Hollister was twenty-two years old, tall, dark-haired and strikingly handsome, a graduate of Bard College in New York State, where he had been president of the student body, and a sportsman of some repute - he was the first man to land a swordfish off the coast of Florida using light tackle. In short, he was everything that Hubbard was not: young, attractive, sporting and well-connected. It was hardly surprising that Hubbard conceived a passionate loathing for the young man and predictable that he would retaliate. His first move was curiously elliptical - he summarily fired two of Hollister's closest friends at the Foundation, claiming they were Communists.

Jack Horner, who was by then working at the Los Angeles Foundation, attempted to intervene on their behalf. 'They were both nice guys and highly trained instructors and I tried to get them off the hook. I went and confronted Hubbard in his office and said, "You can't fire those guys, you don't have any evidence." He ranted and raved, pacing up and down, and said, "You don't understand. I'm fighting a battle here. I might lose some people on the way, but I'm going to win."

and this:

Barbara kept a meticulous diary in which she constantly analyzed and re-analyzed her affair with Hubbard, speculated on his mental condition and recorded day-to-day drama. On Monday 27 November, she noted that Hubbard burst into her office that morning 'tremendously emotionally disturbed'. Sara had tried to commit suicide over the weekend by taking sleeping pills, he said, after Barbara had spoken to her on the telephone. He assumed Barbara had told her about their affair.

It was not true. Barbara had telephoned to speak to Hubbard about Foundation business and had only exchanged a few words with Sara after learning Ron was not at home. Hubbard would not believe it: he had audited Sara and 'recovered an engram' indicating that her suicide attempt was triggered by Barbara's telephone call.

An argument inevitably followed and Barbara reconstructed the extraordinary 'highlights' in her journal, very much as if she was writing a pulp romance:

'ME: You make a habit of instilling engrams, too, don't you? That's fine. That's good behaviour for the founder of Dianetics.
HE: Isn't it exciting for you being a pawn on such a grand chess board? You are playing for the world. Can you think of anything more exciting?
ME: I don't give a good God damn about the world. I want a single, gratifying, human relationship.
HE: You couldn't have one. You're an ambitious woman. You crave power. You're a Marie Antoinette, a Cleopatra, a Lucretia Borgia . . . you must have a Caesar or an Alexander.
ME: No, I don't need a Caesar, though Caesar may need me. I know you now, Ron, and at this moment am closer to you than anyone has ever been.
HE: (Head hung low) And knowing me you don't care for me any more.
ME: I care for you in a different, new and exciting way. (He put his hands on my shoulders and drew me to him.)
HE: I shouldn't do this. (He kissed me.)
ME: You still care for me.
HE: How do you know?
ME: You can't find your hat. You're distracted.
HE: That makes you feel powerful, doesn't it?
ME: It makes me aware of something interesting. You still want me.
HE: Why?
ME: Because you need me. You need me more than I need you.
HE: In 1939 I was very much in love with a girl. She felt that way too. When I knew she had a boyfriend coming up, I waited on the stairway with a gun, just for a moment. Then I said they are flies. I realized who and what I was and left. I told her I would leave her free to marry a sharpie with a cigar in his mouth from Muncie, Indiana. Would you like to be left free?
ME: The alternative is a sharpie with a Kool cigarette from Elizabeth, New Jersey.
HE: That was unwise, very unwise, of you to say that.'

Barbara discovered just how unwise it was when, two days later, she received a terse message via Western Union: 'Would advise you to forget all about me and the Foundation - Ron.' 'I was in shock,' she recalled. 'Here was the man I was supposed to be having a great love affair with telling me I was fired.'

From Bare-Faced Messiah.

guanoloco

As-Wased
Remember that I've got a stapled copy of DIANETICS: AXIOMS copyrighted 1951 by you know who? To my knowledge this book has never been published since then and doesn't appear with any R&D vol, etc.

Anyway, I thought some parts of it odd but with the information from Bare-Faced Messiah it makes perfect sense!

One cannot continually experiment with aberration without accidents. Fortunately, in my hands no pre-clears have come to harm. An astonishingly low number of those treated even by the inept in the society have suffered because of Dianetics. An even more astonishing large number have benefited, even by inexpert auditing. (I thought this whole paragraph was odd.)

In the fall of 1949 it became necessary to attempt to codify techniques for the training of others in these processes. This was not at first envisioned as a difficult proceeding. A thesis had been written in 1948. It was reviewed and repaired and an effort was made to indoctrinate others. At the time this effort was began, there were to hand, unfortunately, only psychotics who had been more or less alleviated by Dianetics. Amongst these was a former Army doctor who had been discharged from the military service because of psychosis. In view of this man's degree, every effort was made to train him. (This is DR. Joseph Winter.) A time had been reached, however, when I could no longer deliver psychotherapy in the quantities I had given it in the past. It was thought that auditors could be trained into teams and thus, this doctor and his wife were trained, as well as two others, including a woman who had represented herself as my wife and who had been cured of a severe psychosis by Dianetics, but who, because of structural brain damage would evidently never be entirely sane. And these early trainees were all uniformly failures as auditors. It required nearly a year to discover where the failures of communication lay. During that year the excitement Dianetics was causing by word of mouth through the country was such that one had no choice but to write a book. Thus, "Dianetics: The Modern Science of Mental Health" was published. Experience in codifying these techniques was even more absent than I had appreciated. Further, the fact that I had not given early associates my own time and treatment caused them to exhibit a shadow, which to psychotherapy would have been miraculous, of the results which could be attained by Dianetics. So far as I was concerned at this time the whole subject was out of control. I could not begin to answer demand and thus the Foundation was organized. At least, I reasoned with myself, here was adequate research ground in which to prove up the communication of techniques and develop them from my old practices into articulation, so that others could duplicate them.

The money and glory inherent in Dianetics was entirely too much for those with whom I had had the bad misfortune to associate myself. The ex-psychotic doctor, the woman who had been my wife, even the publisher of the book were unable to withstand the altitude and eminence to which they had been raised, if one could consider that poor and unethical practice in a new and struggling subject could be called eminence. Developments in Dianetics came almost to a standstill through the turmoil and upset occasioned in its organizations by the very founders of them. Two of the early associates, John W. Campbell and J. A. Winter, became bitter and violent because I refused to let them write on the subject of Dianetics, for I considered their knowledge too slight and their own abberrations too broad to permit such a liberty with the science. (Once again the ex-psychotic doctor is J. A. Winter.) For I did not even know how to codify it better, although I was willing to learn. Fur coats, Lincoln cars and a young man without any concept of honor so far turned the head of the woman who had been associated with me that on discovery of her affairs, she and these others, hungry for money and power, sought to take over and control all of Dianetics. This disgraceful and heart-breaking insanity in an organization which had been dedicated to sanity is at best an adequate comment on them: Barbarism of a society without psychotherapy, or an understanding of the humanities. Nothing, if not this, could have called me so severely back to my task of developing, codifying and communicating Dianetics.

The knowledge so gained was hard-won.

and then there is Winter's and Campbell's version of things:

Hubbard's supporters soon began to have doubts about Dianetics. Winter became disillusioned and wrote that he had never seen a single convincing Clear: "I have seen some individuals who are supposed to have been 'clear,' but their behavior does not conform to the definition of the state. Moreover, an individual supposed to have been 'clear' has undergone a relapse into conduct which suggests an incipient psychosis." He also deplored the Foundation's omission of any serious scientific research. Dianetics lost public credibility in August 1950 when a presentation by Hubbard before an audience of 6,000 at the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles failed disastrously. He introduced a Clear named Sonya Bianca and told the audience that as a result of undergoing Dianetic therapy she now possessed perfect recall. However, Gardner writes, "in the demonstration that followed, she failed to remember a single formula in physics (the subject in which she was majoring) or the color of Hubbard's tie when his back was turned. At this point, a large part of the audience got up and left."

Hubbard also faced other practitioners moving into leadership positions within the Dianetics community. It was structured as an open, public practice in which others were free to pursue their own lines of research and claim that their approaches to auditing produced better results than Hubbard's. The community rapidly splintered and its members mingled Hubbard's ideas with a wide variety of esoteric and even occult practices. By late 1950, the Elizabeth, N.J. Foundation was in financial crisis and the Los Angeles Foundation was more than $200,000 in debt. Winter and Art Ceppos, the publisher of Hubbard's book, resigned in acrimonious circumstances. Campbell also resigned, criticizing Hubbard for being impossible to work with, and blamed him for the disorganization and financial ruin of the Foundations. By the summer of 1951, the Elizabeth, N.J. Foundation and all of its branches had closed

From Bare-Faced Messiah there's more to shed light on this Hubbard squid ink:

In October, Hubbard returned to the East Coast for a few days and was greeted at Elizabeth with the news that the Foundation was approaching a financial crisis - its monthly income could no longer even cover the payroll - and Joseph Winter, the man who had done so much to validate Dianetics, was about to resign.

Winter was deeply disillusioned with the Hubbard Dianetic Research Foundation. He no longer believed that Dianetics was free from risk - two pre-clears had developed acute psychoses during auditing - and he was extremely worried by the Foundation's continuing willingness to accept anyone for training as an auditor.

'People had breakdowns quite often,' said Perry Chapdelaine, a Sears Roebuck clerk from Mason City, Iowa, who was a student at Elizabeth. 'It was always hushed up before anyone found out about it. It happened to a guy on my course, a chemical engineer. They wanted to get him out of the school and I volunteered to stay with him in an adjoining building. He never slept or ate and was in a terrible state, no one could do anything with him and in the end they took him off to an asylum.'

Apart from what he considered to be inherent dangers in allowing anyone to audit anyone, Winter had also begun to doubt whether the state of 'clear' was realistically obtainable. Finally, he was frustrated by the fact that the Research Foundation was making absolutely no attempt to conduct any serious scientific research, which was one of its avowed aims. He had voiced his growing concern on several occasions, only to be airily dismissed by Hubbard. It became clear to Winter that he had no alternative but to resign.

Art Ceppos was largely in sympathy with Winter and also submitted his resignation. Hubbard's reaction was typically immoderate. Angry and bitter at what he considered to be a betrayal by two of his earliest supporters, he spread the word that Winter and Ceppos had been plotting to seize control of the Foundation and had consequently been 'forced' to resign.

No wonder he's talking about Dianetics not causing any problems - Winter had just walked out because it was spinning PCs!

Veda

Sponsor
Well, time for this story:

Barbara Kaye had this to say:

Margaret Grubb

Thanks for the great research and presentation. One minor detail: You may have attributed a quote from (1966) Virginia Downsborough to (1951) Barbara Kaye.

Late 1966: What appeared to be a nervous breakdown - post Rhodesia. During the post-Rhodesia period, Hubbard rebounded by becoming the Commodore, and by inventing Xenu and OT 3's Incident 2 as the galactic super-engram that "destroyed the sanity of every man, woman and child," etc. This explained why people were laughing when he sat down at the piano... (Only a galaxy-wide super-duper-engram could explain why "wogs" were not awe struck and happily obedient to L. Ron Hubbard's wishes.)

In the chapter 'Launching the Sea Org', in the book 'Bare-Faced Messiah', Virginia Downsborough was interviewed, by author Russell Miller, about her time in Las Palmas with L. Ron Hubbard.

Downsborough was surprised by the large number of bottles of pills that were around Hubbard's bed where he lay moping. She did not report any physical injury. Here's an excerpt:

"He talked a lot about Sara Northrup and seemed to want to make sure that I knew that he had never married her. I didn't know why it was so important to him; I'd never met Sara and couldn't care less, but he wanted to persuade me that the marriage had never taken place. When he talked about his first wife, the picture he put out was of this poor wounded fellow coming home from the war and being abandoned by his wife and family because he would be a drain on them. He said he planned every move along the way with Mary Sue to avoid being victimized again."

According to Alan Walter, "Virginia Downsborough... was LRH's nurse in Las Palmas. I had to clean her up after that, but she was shattered by what she witnessed."

Hubbard also referred to his situation as a wounded war hero in his 1965, 'My Philosophy'. I might as well include the entire post from which I was about to cut and paste this quote:

From 'Keeping Scientology Working', 7 February, 1965:

"We're not playing some minor game in Scientology. It isn't something cute to do for lack of something better.

"The whole agonized future of this planet, every Man, Woman, and Child on it, and your own destiny for the next endless trillions of years depend on what you do here and now with and in Scientology :unsure::ohmy::yes:

"This is a deadly serious activity. And if we miss getting out of the trap now, we may never again have another chance :spacecraft:. [See 'Implantology'] Remember, this is our first chance in all the endless trillions of years of the past . Don't muff it now because it seems unpleasant or unsocial to do Seven [Hammering out of existence incorrect technology], Eight..."

Just prior to the appearance of 'KSW', was published the piece 'My Philosophy', in which L. Ron Hubbard told Scientologists:

"Blinded with injured optic nerves, and lame with physical injuries to the hip and back, at the end of World War II, I faced an almost nonexistent future. My service record stated: 'This officer has no neurotic or psychotic tendencies whatsoever', but also stated, 'permanently disabled physically'.

"And so there came a further blow. I was abandoned by family and friends :violin: as a supposedly hopeless cripple and probable burden on them for the rest of my days."

And, on 7 March 1965, exactly one month after the appearance of 'KSW' was published 'Suppressive Acts, Suppression of Scientology and Scientologists, the Fair Game Law':

"A Suppressive person or group becomes 'fair game'.

"By Fair Game is meant, without rights for self, possessions or position, and no Scientologist may be brought before a Committee of Evidence or punished for any action taken against a Suppressive Person or group...

"Suppressive acts are defined as actions or omissions undertaken to knowingly suppress, reduce, or impede Scientology or Scientologists.

"Such suppressive acts include public disavowal of Scientology... public statements against Scientology.

"[Suppressive acts also include] 1st degree murder, arson, disintegration of persons or belongings not [emphasis added] guilty of suppressive acts.

"[Suppressive Persons] place themselves beyond any consideration for their feelings :nazi:or well being...

"The homes, property, places, and abodes of persons who have been active in attempting to suppress Scientology... are all beyond any protection."

And thus began the (post 1965) era of "modern Scientology," in which L. Ron Hubbard began in earnest to apply the basics of this booklet http://warrior.xenu.ca/Brainwashing-front.jpg on his own followers.

Strangely enough, some people regard this period as "the good old days," when the 'Scientological Onion' http://exscn.net/content/view/178/105 was robust, and before the final monument building stage of Scientology commenced - per L. Ron Hubbard's confidential instructions - under its current leader David Miscavige. http://deadagenting.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/hubbard-and-miscavige-2.jpg

guanoloco

As-Wased
Well, couldn't find it on ESMB but I was looking for the thread that gave characteristics of NPD (Narcissistic Personality Disorder). It specifically stated that a symptom of the disorder was the inability to tolerate frustration.

Here's some more of the Barbara Kaye interview:

Oct 15: Train to San Francisco on 20 Sept for a speaking engagement. He had sent an advance man up. There was a ruddy faced guy hired as an advance man to set up arrangements for a lecture in SF. "Wife kissed him at the station. At first mutually ill at ease and strained. He was drinking a lot in the club car." In SF he went to a barbecue party at attorney's; his wife made a pass at Ron in the kitchen and he reciprocated. We had separate rooms - he wanted her to come down, she refused, and his response was sudden and violent, very paranoid. He lost his temper. He said, "They're all against me."

"I see him now as vain, arrogant and self centred and unable to tolerate any frustration," I noted. Then I felt sorry for him. I called and said I would be coming down. There was a scene in the bedroom - I said how hurt I had been; he laughed and said why didn't he have the right to kiss host's wife? He was unbelievably nasty and cool.

I just think Lie R Hubbard is soooooooo [STRIKE]cook[/STRIKE]...er...cool!

Jachs

Gold Meritorious Patron
"Barbara Kaye" (a pseudonym) was a pretty blonde 20-year-old in 1950 when she became L. Ron Hubbard's PR assistant.

I wonder what her real name is.

kaye.jpg