What's new

Media Alert: Slater & gordon Investigates Class Action over Scientology Wages Claim

Happy Days

Silver Meritorious Patron
Re: Media Alert: Slater & gordon Investigates Class Action over Scientology Wages Cla

Lol, there seems to be more than a few of those lately, eh? :biggrin:

Yes, I did note that the board has had new blood and damn fine thing too :biggrin:

The stats are certainly up :thumbsup:

Royal Prince Xenu

Trust the Psi Corps.
Re: Media Alert: Slater & gordon Investigates Class Action over Scientology Wages Cla

Would a class action allow those who fall outside the 6 year limit to be included?

Sadly, probably not. Although Scn orgs are fanatical about filing and keeping everything n perpetuity, the Statute of Limitations only requires seven years. Anything requested prior to that can be hidden and declared "destroyed". I'm sure that all my payslips from 1984 to 1986 would still exist but, getting such an admission from the Church would achieve very little.

Happy Days

Sadly, probably not. Although Scn orgs are fanatical about filing and keeping everything n perpetuity, the Statute of Limitations only requires seven years. Anything requested prior to that can be hidden and declared "destroyed". I'm sure that all my payslips from 1984 to 1986 would still exist but, getting such an admission from the Church would achieve very little.

Although employment records must be kept by businesses for 20 years here in Oz. :)

More good news, I love it! :happydance:

Congrats to all our Aussie friends, and thanks for your good hard work on this! :thumbsup:

Hooray!

Happy Days

I spoke with Slater & Gordon yesterday and they are ready to go.

So all who want to be part of the class action please make contact by phoning
02 82670626 (for international callers place 0011 61 in front of number) for staff and SO members who have worked in Australian Orgs including Scios front groups.

If you have concerns about privacy or fear the of CoS retaliation by fair gaming and disconnection this is understood by Slater & Gordon, they are well aware of the CoS practices, and all information remains confidential.

The 'statutes of limitations' are currently being look at to see if we can extend the years so please do not use this as a reason not to contact Slater & Gordon. Nothing is certain on this but we do need to stay positive and prepare to put an argument forward and it's requiring more work.

Also just a note: the Fair Work Ombudsman findings were not important to Slater & Gordon moving forward on the class action, this firm had already completed an extensive investigation into the CoS employment practices and came to the conclusion that it was in breach. The firm did not wait to see what FWO findings were before advertising the class action.

If you have any questions please PM me.

BC1

Patron with Honors

How does a class action work in Australia? If someone was in SO in Australia and is still in COS, but not Australia would they need to opt in or would they be automatically included? It sounds like this only applies to former members that sign up.

Happy Days

How does a class action work in Australia? If someone was in SO in Australia and is still in COS, but not Australia would they need to opt in or would they be automatically included? It sounds like this only applies to former members that sign up.

If you have been employed by the CoS in Oz and you want to be part of the class action then contact Slater & Gordon. Even if you are still in the CoS as a public but previously worked was a staff member for an org or front group or an SO member then you can still be part of the class action.

Being in the CoS and being part of a class action would pose a few challenges in particular it would be a 'Suppressive Act' for commencing legal action against the church and so a Golden Rod would ensue. However, I would definitely contact Slater & Gordon and let them know you are still an active member of the CoS and get their advice.

randomx

Patron with Honors

Also just getting the word out to anyone who has worked for Scientology in Australia
regardless of when, could shake a few ripe apples out of the tree.

Bare in mind that witnesses will be needed as well.

Scientology`s best defense is a legal defense.
The more that gets eroded away, the sooner Miscavige will
start to have trouble with his bowel motions.

Happy Days

Also just getting the word out to anyone who has worked for Scientology in Australia
regardless of when, could shake a few ripe apples out of the tree.

Bare in mind that witnesses will be needed as well.

Scientology`s best defense is a legal defense.
The more that gets eroded away, the sooner Miscavige will
start to have trouble with his bowel motions.

Thanks randomx.... getting the word out is what's needed.... :thumbsup:

RogerB

Crusader

I spoke with Slater & Gordon yesterday and they are ready to go.

So all who want to be part of the class action please make contact by phoning
02 82670626 (for international callers place 0011 61 in front of number) for staff and SO members who have worked in Australian Orgs including Scios front groups.

If you have concerns about privacy or fear the of CoS retaliation by fair gaming and disconnection this is understood by Slater & Gordon, they are well aware of the CoS practices, and all information remains confidential.

The 'statutes of limitations' are currently being look at to see if we can extend the years so please do not use this as a reason not to contact Slater & Gordon. Nothing is certain on this but we do need to stay positive and prepare to put an argument forward and it's requiring more work.

Also just a note: the Fair Work Ombudsman findings were not important to Slater & Gordon moving forward on the class action, this firm had already completed an extensive investigation into the CoS employment practices and came to the conclusion that it was in breach. The firm did not wait to see what FWO findings were before advertising the class action.

If you have any questions please PM me.

Just thinking her Happy Days . . .and aloud again . . . .

On the issue of statutes of limitation . . . might be worth asking S&G if there are grounds for claiming extenuating circumstances for the limit to be extended on the basis of known threats of retaliation, duress on victims due to the known practice if the cult's "Fair Gaming" and retaliation against defectors and dissidents, etc.

This fact of behaviour of the cult, being a continuing practice of it against its employees and former employees which thus impedes acting to file suit, might under Oz law give grounds for claiming and being awarded extensions of time for filing complaints.

And yes, this could open up a whole new can of worms in our favour
:biggrin:

Note: I've honoured you all downnunda with some correct spelling. :yes:
Rog

Happy Days

Just thinking her Happy Days . . .and aloud again . . . .

On the issue of statutes of limitation . . . might be worth asking S&G if there are grounds for claiming extenuating circumstances for the limit to be extended on the basis of known threats of retaliation, duress on victims due to the known practice if the cult's "Fair Gaming" and retaliation against defectors and dissidents, etc.

This fact of behaviour of the cult, being a continuing practice of it against its employees and former employees which thus impedes acting to file suit, might under Oz law give grounds for claiming and being awarded extensions of time for filing complaints.

And yes, this could open up a whole new can of worms in our favour
:biggrin:

Note: I've honoured you all downnunda with some correct spelling. :yes:
Rog

Certainly RogerB we have briefed S&G on the CoS unscrupulous behaviour and the impact it has on claimants and I believe this will be the major point in getting extensions.

However, claimants need to come forward as sitting on the sidelines and waiting will not get results so I encourage all Australian current staff, SO members and ex Staff and SO members to come forward including front groups staff members.

I say current staff and SO members cause we know a few read this board and you too can get involved so come on Australia :biggrin:

Call Slater & Gordon on (02) 8267 0626 (0011 61 02 for overseas callers).

Happy Days

And bump again for the new traffic to this website thanks to Em and Tony from the Village Voice :biggrin:

AnonLover

Patron Meritorious

BUMP! It's been a few years and I'm wondering whatever became of this effort?

Jump

Operating teatime

BUMP! It's been a few years and I'm wondering whatever became of this effort?

As I recall, they came up against a statute of limitations.

However interestingly, at the premiere showing of Going Clear in Sydney, a lady mentioned during question time that her suburban lawyer husband had taken several similar cases to settlement around that time. There were no further details given.

Jack Dog

Sometimes good things have a long gestation. I very much look forward to witnessing a live birth before I die.

OutToe83

Patron with Honors

Sometimes good things have a long gestation. I very much look forward to witnessing a live birth before I die.

I witnessed my first live birth just over 8 weeks ago, Jack. "Amazing" just doesn't say enough. It was unbelievable. I will always be grateful to the friend who invited me to witness her firstborn coming into the world, flailing, kicking and squalling. There's a huge difference between "knowing" about birth and actually witnessing one in the flesh, so to speak.

PS: Need to stay on track here. I'm also interested in any update on the status of the OP court proceedings. I do wonder if the statute of limitations could be challenged on the grounds of being under threat during the time allotted. Sort of like a Jew not bringing a civil case to trial in Germany during WW2...

JustSheila

Crusader

:welcome2: to ESMB, Jack Dog!

Would you like to start a thread and tell us a little about you in the Newbie section?

I saw you posted in the chatbox. You said:

I never knew this forum or one like it ever existed. To help protect my family who were still involved my last action was to to request a sec check. That was about 30 years ago.

You don't have to worry about your privacy here - no one will require you to reveal your name or details about you, but if you still have family in Scn, I highly recommend you keep details out of your posts that would make them recognize you if they find this forum.

How long were you in Scn? We were all in at various times, some in the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s and some even left recently. I was in from the late 70s until soon after Hubbard died.

Anonymous1

And what about all the children that were mind fucked and used as little david slaves, from the moment they came out of thier mothers womb.