What's new

8 Steps out of Scientology - Arnie Lerma

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
I think it's time to bring this up again for new readers. Understanding these steps helped me a lot and still does, especially with all the Marty followers who are sitting at Step 3.

Information, education - keep telling the stories!

Great link with a lot of embedded links - http://www.lermanet.com/cos/8steps.html

8 Steps out of Scientology

This page was cited from an article in the Guardian UK in 1997

Now renamed TEN Steps out of Scientology

IF Scientology is a bridge to OT levels of super dooper powers

why is this website here?

Title: 9 steps out of Scientology
Author: Arnie Lerma
Date: 31 Aug 1997 17:01:27 -0700
REVISED-1

I was in the cult and on staff for 10 years... here are the stages I have seen... as one exits the 'Hubbardian' mind control program....

1) There is something wrong here, if this is so great, then
why is (______) going on?

[ insert whatever atrocity you have recently witnessed ]

2) The guys at the top must be crazy

3) Miscavige and crew are evil demons from another dimension
[ or something similar ]

4) Hubbard went crazy at the end .....

5) Hubbard went crazy in 1966

6) Hubbard was mad from the start.

7) This whole thing is a complete fraud

8) my god, its a criminal organization... with criminal convictions
all over the world... and it was only about money

9) realization that THERE ARE NO OT's THERE!

10) realizing, after leaving Scientology, this makes one an ex-nazi and wanting to do something about it

Last edited:

WildKat

Gold Meritorious Patron
I like mine better!

1 Being curious about the internet.
2 Wondering why your religion tells you “don’t look”.
3 Looking anyway and finding out what they don’t want you to know.
4 Vowing to NEVER AGAIN let any group tell you what you can and can’t look at.
5 Reading people’s stories and realizing how many have crashed and burned or gone bankrupt or suicided or died too young.
6 Looking and observing that no actual Clears or OTs were ever made through Scientology.
7 Realizing the ones at the top are/were messed up, including Miscavige and LRH himself.
8 Realizing that a cult used your mind to entrap you and try to squeeze every dime out of you.
9 Realizing you are not evil because you have chosen to leave a cult.
10 Realizing that you can walk away, be free, and life can be good again!

Out-Ethics

Patron Meritorious
I don't know if the 8 steps work exactly like that but to me it was I'm not getting the gains that are advertised, trying to figure out what is wrong with me such as out-ethics overts w/h etc, lower conditions, seeing others not getting gains or not acting in such a way you would expect anybody going up the bridge, then coming up with questions as to why this is, then looking on the internet because you are not finding the answers in Scientology, discovering the real truth but still hanging on to parts of the tech still being workable, then discovering more crap about the whole subject and realizing it a complete evil scam. While you are going through this process at least for me you keep moving away from Scientology to the point where you now know it is not only unwanted but totally unnecessary. At this point you feel free from any possibilities of ever having to be part of Scientology ever again. Now that is a total freedom!!!

Good twin

Floater
I didn't believe Arnie, but his words and his dedication helped me get out of the cult.

I had spent years as a staff member and mission holder sending postcards to OSA with "LERMANET" on them. When I decided to look at the internet it was the only thing I remembered. I saw the 8 steps he wrote about and figured I would never get past 3 or 4 but thanks to the expansion of information on the internet I have continued to grow away from the mind fuck and back home to my own mind.

Thanks Arnie. :love8:

DagwoodGum

Squirreling Dervish
I didn't believe Arnie, but his words and his dedication helped me get out of the cult.

I had spent years as a staff member and mission holder sending postcards to OSA with "LERMANET" on them. When I decided to look at the internet it was the only thing I remembered. I saw the 8 steps he wrote about and figured I would never get past 3 or 4 but thanks to the expansion of information on the internet I have continued to grow away from the mind fuck and back home to my own mind.

Thanks Arnie. :love8:
Good steps and some may have to go through the list a few times while another may EP on the 1st step and walk away w/o any of the programmed intoversion, as designed by the $cilons - "Gee, I must be guilty of overts if I'm wanting to leave". The overt motivator sequence is a load of shit frosting on the turd cake and designed to keep people trapped in Scientology! That's to say that no matter what they do to you, if you leave it's your overts, your fault & not theirs.

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
I've edited the OP to include the embedded links on the original as they are so interesting.

Nothing is set in stone, there are no requirements to completing such steps, no checksheet, no examiner, no need for success stories. When I first read it I didn't necessarily agree with the sequence and even wrote my own version somewhere here on a thread. However as the years have gone by, watching many different people change (or not), myself included, it now seems to me to be exactly how it goes.

Yes, thankyou Arnie.

guanoloco

As-Wased
Arnie R-O-C-K-S!

At least in my universe.

Of course, I'm certain that in Scientology's universe he R-O-C-K-S-lams...just sayin'!

Hey! That would be another good avatar - Rockslammin' Clam, or something.

Operating DB

Truman Show Dropout
Nice posts! And I had a few laughs. "shit frosting on the turd cake" LOL
I do love the onion theory and agree that it can be tailored to ones' individual experiences. And just when you think you've come to what you think is the end of the core you read someones illuminating post and realize that perhaps the core never ends. The bognitions, fognitions and wognitions never seem to end!
It's like a fractal.
images.jpg

DagwoodGum

Squirreling Dervish
Arnie R-O-C-K-S!

At least in my universe.

Of course, I'm certain that in Scientology's universe he R-O-C-K-S-lams...just sayin'!

Hey! That would be another good avatar - Rockslammin' Clam, or something.

There is not one person who, more than Arnie Lerma, has put more quality time and work into helping people dig their way out of the sewer that is Scientology.

http://www.lermanet.com/

Last edited:

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
Great lists and thread. :yes:

Just out of curiosity, has anyone compiled a list of the "8 Steps IN to Scientology? " :unsure:

WildKat

Gold Meritorious Patron
Great lists and thread. :yes:

Just out of curiosity, has anyone compiled a list of the "8 Steps IN to Scientology? " :unsure:

LRH compiled these - I think it's called the Dissem Drill. Basically find a person's weakness, rub their nose in it, then use it to manipulate the person thinking Scientology will relieve them of the weakness or flaw.

Scn promises eternal happiness and freedom from pain and suffering.

The main reason - I think - people get trapped in Scn is their fear of death. LRH tells them Scn gives immortality and thus eases the fear of death. This is why some people in their 60's and 70's still cling to the illusion. They know death is approaching and they think Scn will relieve the pain of it.

Any cult or mainstream religion takes advantage of these deep fears to keep its sheep in line.

I have a theory that things have to get so bad, that a person's fear of death gets overridden by the hell they are living in. This is why people endure such horrible conditions for so long.

They want to believe.

Good twin

Floater
Eric Hoffer's books on fanaticism are really helpful. Scientology was a sort of inevitable product to fill a need that arose from the post war years. Lots of mental and emotional issues became prominent when there was no cost effective and patient friendly way to deal with it.

Sadly we also allowed ourselves to be part of a social experiment that had no scientific controls and was woven into a spiritual / religious system of faith pretending to be science despite volumes of evidence to the contrary.

The steps into the cult were like the elements of a "perfect storm". While probably not the worst disaster in the history of humankind, it is still an interesting anthropological study of human development after the A bomb became a threat to evolution. Someday it will be a minor paragraph in the history of man.

For now it would be simple to just say "CULTS HAPPEN".

The stories of each of us helps the rest of us. Keep typing.