What's new

E-meter manifestation query -one for Technical minded Guys/Gals

Jachs

Gold Meritorious Patron
E-METER Poltergeist type MANIFESTATION

I found this in the The ABERREE 1956 Issue.

I demonstrated last night some 'Poltergeist' type phenomena by using my e-meter .
I close the preclear terminals with a pencil line on a piece of paper and have the pc think at the meter . Lo and behold the needle moves. I found that results were uniformly stronger when the subject turned his back to the meter, except for one girl who was able to push the needle off the scale in each direction while looking at the meter . Also most people started out by moving in a direction opposite to the one they said they were trying to move it, and some people could move it better in one direction than the other. In addition I ran into two people who could inhibit the meter by entering the room . at one point the needle shot back to zero and stayed there as these two characters entered the room as I demonstrated it.
Bernie Ross New York.

http://www.kristi-wachter.com/aberree/v03/n04/page0012.png

Oy. I am not sure what the "I close the meter terminals with a pencil line" means. If it was that long ago, it was a very old model meter. I know the mk VII is really sensitive to static, I have had the needle move just by moving my hands around near the meter. The old ones were not very sensitive, but there were a bunch of home made ones floating around, so who knows.

I guess he draws a line on a piece of paper, sets the cans on the ends of the line and the graphite from the pencil completes the circuit. He fiddles with the settings so it reads on set and has his pc's start thinking at it.

Shouldn't be hard to replicate.

Mimsey

Lermanet_com

Gold Meritorious Patron
FWIW: Pencils contain carbon graphite, a conductor.. a pencil line conducts electricity.. not well, but it does conduct some...

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
FWIW: Pencils contain carbon graphite, a conductor.. a pencil line conducts electricity.. not well, but it does conduct some...

My immediate response to this was "Bullshit!" However, it seems so. I can't be bothered to whip out a meter and measure it, but here's an impressive-looking series of experiments some schoolkid(s) did showing the results in a PDF.

Paul

Lermanet_com

Gold Meritorious Patron
My immediate response to this was "Bullshit!" However, it seems so. I can't be bothered to whip out a meter and measure it, but here's an impressive-looking series of experiments some schoolkid(s) did showing the results in a PDF.

Paul

thank you paul, and.. Interesting, I also noted this when i was kid, - I bought a model T spark coil, when i was 12, from pep-boys and proceeded to test the conductivity of everything around me... including a pencil line, which I noted, carried the spark...

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
To get back to the original idea, I don't see why one couldn't just connect a resistor across the leads, like the 2000 ohm or 5000 ohm one that might be easily available. Then jack the sensitivity up and see what effect one can create, if any. At very high sensitivity, there will always be some random-looking needle motion, so one would have to back it off a little bit.

I remember trying this years ago (after I had left the CofS), to see if I could influence the needle without holding the cans.

I couldn't.

Paul

Lermanet_com

Gold Meritorious Patron
Bear with me...

Carbon's resistance, unlike copper, goes down with increased temperature, thought this is not really a factor...

the carbon in a resistor, is encapsulated - attached to what amounts to a larger mass, the small ceramic tube that it is deposited upon (in a thin film carbon resistor - the type used for calibration), is a thermal mass, that would reduce temperature changes... from the proximity of say...a slight rising draft from 98.6 human skin...and from the radiated heat of proximity to a warmer object (a human body).

A pencil line, is also a carbon resistor, but on a low thermal mass piece of paper... exquisitely sensitive to both mechanical vibration and temperature changes from warm air rising or radiant warmth from the person next to it...and might be more accurately described as a radiant heat detector

My definition of magic: Magic is not knowing how the trick is done.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
A pencil line, is also a carbon resistor, but on a low thermal mass piece of paper... exquisitely sensitive to both mechanical vibration and temperature changes from warm air rising or radiant warmth from the person next to it...and might be more accurately described as a radiant heat detector

Definitely a case of Dox or STFU, Arnie.

Easy enough to set up and video. If I thought it would work I would even make the effort and do it (see my videos on underwater metering, for example, at the YouTube ESMBDOF link in my sig).

Paul

Rene Descartes

Gold Meritorious Patron
Oh wow, fun with emeters...

Can anyone plug the emeter connections into a potato or a tomato and see if they can get an F/N or maybe a Theta Bop?

Make a slice in the potato and the tomato and pour vinegar into it and see how the potato and tomato react to it.

I bet a bowl of Life cereal and milk will get a better float than Cheerios and milk.

But I suspect Special K has the most Iron and will have the best free needle of all the cereals.

Rd00

xaxxat

Patron
Definitely a case of Dox or STFU, Arnie.

Easy enough to set up and video. If I thought it would work I would even make the effort and do it (see my videos on underwater metering, for example, at the YouTube ESMBDOF link in my sig).

Paul

Google Johnson–Nyquist noise and shot noise...

And RTDs too.

fortymarriedandbalding

Patron with Honors
My immediate response to this was "Bullshit!"

Enough said. Why would anyone believe this just becasue it is written. Someone wanted attention or PCs to treat and made up a bullshit little story. Happens all the time. They guy is either lying or delusional.

Or it could have been a joke - do not know the culture of this publication.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Enough said. Why would anyone believe this just becasue it is written. Someone wanted attention or PCs to treat and made up a bullshit little story. Happens all the time. They guy is either lying or delusional.

Or it could have been a joke - do not know the culture of this publication.

You are welcome to your own views on that original article, but please don't misquote me to support them. I did say those words but they were referring to something else.

Paul

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Google Johnson–Nyquist noise and shot noise...

And RTDs too.

I am not disputing the theory. I am challenging Arnie's assertion that it explains the needle motion described in the original article. I don't think the effect would be large enough. I could be wrong, but I doubt if anyone (other than me!) is likely to perform the experiment on video to demonstrate it.

Paul

Jachs

Gold Meritorious Patron
I am not disputing the theory. I am challenging Arnie's assertion that it explains the needle motion described in the original article. I don't think the effect would be large enough. I could be wrong, but I doubt if anyone (other than me!) is likely to perform the experiment on video to demonstrate it.

Paul

I doubt if anyone (other than you!) is likely to perform the experiment on video to demonstrate it too.

I would have liked to see this 'guy' on an e-meter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3F3ovb2kZ9Q&feature=share

Lermanet_com

Gold Meritorious Patron

Paul

I noted it when i was 12, surely you can do a little work on your own by now...