What's new

what did I get 'out" of the purif? Does anybody know?

So I, like many, have done the purif two times, some more. Some for a few weeks, some for months. But what came out of it? I had some "radiation" turn on - meaning after I came home after doing my purif one night, and turned on my computer, I got a flush.

Last night I was pondering whether the purif actually did take toxins out of my body. I know my bathing suit, despite daily soaping downs in the shower after the sweating was done, reeked to high heaven - were those toxins? I mean the body has pounds of fat that could possibly contain the toxins, how is taking in and ounce or so of oil supposed to replace all those pounds of toxin laden fat? And doesn't the body digest the oil anyway? I doubt it is taken whole thorough the blood stream to the fat cells as part of a toxin exchange program.

What the hell does Niacin have to do with anything? Is it merely the body getting tolerant of it causing the diminished reaction?

Has the purif ever been tested to see if it does what it says it does?

Mimsey

Smilla

Ordinary Human
I asked my father about this - he's a doctor, and he said that there's no good reason to believe that the Purif has any major de-toxifying effects, but that there's also no good reason to believe it doesn't, as it's never been properly trialled. He did say though, that taking high doses of Niacin over a lengthy period is NOT a good idea, as it can cause serious liver problems.

dianaclass8

Silver Meritorious Patron
Mimsey, yes, it has been tested and I have some documents on it. I would have to scan them one of these days. However, the vitamins in the market nowdays are pure trash and one doing the purif should do research on better quality vits and not use the ones that Standard Vitamins or Peter Gilham sell.

One thing that I want to clarify here, is that LRH says in the book that the Purif is optional, sadly some zealot scientologists had their children doing the purif which was irrational.

It is a well known fact that the sauna purifies the body, the Scandinavians been doing it for eons.

Another thing that many scientologists overlooked is that you don't need to spend a lot of money doing the purif. The instructions are right there in the book, pretty much anybody can do it on their own, with a twin of course, but I mean one does not have to go to the CofS and do it.

I deliver the purif in the field and I have seen the changes. I have a beautiful sauna (there is a video of it in my youtube channel) and have seen how the IQ goes higher and the energy goes up.

But it is NOT for everybody, particularly for people who have diabetes, heart problems and high blood pressure.

Also people who have been on LSD or other heavy drugs should not do it alone. And it is NOT for people who have no drug history of course.

At the CofS it became a "one size fits all" and you have to do it here or else we won't validate it"....that is wrong....or you must do it, otherwise we won't let you do the rest of the Bridge"... that is wrong too.

I don't force the Purif on my PCs.

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)
Mimsey, yes, it has been tested and I have some documents on it. I would have to scan them one of these days. However, the vitamins in the market nowdays are pure trash and one doing the purif should do research on better quality vits and not use the ones that Standard Vitamins or Peter Gilham sell.

Tested by who?

It is a well known fact that the sauna purifies the body, the Scandinavians been doing it for eons.

Bulldookey. It is NOT a well known 'fact' that the sauna "purifies" anything. It just makes you sweat. Period. Maybe the simple fact that people in cold climates like to get hot once in a while was just a little too easy?

I deliver the purif in the field and I have seen the changes. I have a beautiful sauna (there is a video of it in my youtube channel) and have seen how the IQ goes higher and the energy goes up.

wow - all you need do is get some approved IQ tests and get them administered properly and you will be the first person in Scientology history to come up with something approaching proof.

hummingbird

Patron with Honors

Yup. If a group of people have been doing something for "eons" it must be good, right? I mean, a group of people would never do anything HARMFUL, would they???

deliver the purif in the field and I have seen the changes. I have a beautiful sauna (there is a video of it in my youtube channel) and have seen how the IQ goes higher and the energy goes up.

So, you have proof of raised IQ? Standard tests given standardly? Not that two-page knockoff that the cult used? Which tests did you have administered, and what are the statistics, exactly, of these rises in IQ?

Someday I hope you put down the koolaid cup. You sound like a nice, well-intentioned lady.

But what you do is based on lies from a madman. Surely you must know that, right?

La La Lou Lou

Crusader
The purif was an excellent excuse to relax for me. Well apart from half an hour's attempt at jogging every day. By the time I finished I felt so clean, you just can't get your pores scrubbed in a bath or shower. Just to sit quietly and maybe chat every now and then was good.

It was also a great excuse to say that old line, ''Oh sorry I didn't recognise you with your clothes on'' that always raised an eyebrow. We kept changing saunas though and there was one with a price list on the wall that included some very strange private 'treatments':yes:.

I did enjoy the niacin rush, no idea what that was all about though, it did seem to be connected with sun burns though.

dianaclass8

Yes, I know that LRH was a madman.

I like the Purif and you like whatever you like. Yes, I try to be well intentioned as much as I can...:)

And I do apply what it is true for me and not "one size fits all" like the church.

Not all of my PCs do the Purif.

Yup. If a group of people have been doing something for "eons" it must be good, right? I mean, a group of people would never do anything HARMFUL, would they???

So, you have proof of raised IQ? Standard tests given standardly? Not that two-page knockoff that the cult used? Which tests did you have administered, and what are the statistics, exactly, of these rises in IQ?

Someday I hope you put down the koolaid cup. You sound like a nice, well-intentioned lady.

But what you do is based on lies from a madman. Surely you must know that, right?

dianaclass8

Mick, my son did the purif, we did the IQ tests and his IQ went higher and he was vey happy. He twinned with a PC of mine from Spain and when this PC went back home his parents were very impressed with the change of appeareance and called me and asked what he has done.

I repeat: The Purif is not for everyone.

I repeat: One size does not fit all.

Take a look at this article:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/280619-do-saunas-really-detox-you/

You can google the benefits of the sauna if you wish.

Tested by who?

Bulldookey. It is NOT a well known 'fact' that the sauna "purifies" anything. It just makes you sweat. Period. Maybe the simple fact that people in cold climates like to get hot once in a while was just a little too easy?

wow - all you need do is get some approved IQ tests and get them administered properly and you will be the first person in Scientology history to come up with something approaching proof.

La La Lou Lou

Crusader
Mick I can see that the action of sweating cleans the skin, it flushes out smelly substances that usually show themselves the first time someone sweats after the winter. Those substances are not usually mercury compounds but dried fats and bacterial growth. It is nice to get rid of them, especially for people close to you. You can do it cheaper though by using a face mask, or just rolling in wet clay and sitting around till it dries. This is what pigs use instead of the sauna and it works very well. Sweat will clean the pores out but how sweating is supposed to collect up nuclear waste, heavy metals or narcotic substances from the muscles I have no idea.

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)
Mick I can see that the action of sweating cleans the skin, it flushes out smelly substances that usually show themselves the first time someone sweats after the winter. Those substances are not usually mercury compounds but dried fats and bacterial growth. It is nice to get rid of them, especially for people close to you. You can do it cheaper though by using a face mask, or just rolling in wet clay and sitting around till it dries. This is what pigs use instead of the sauna and it works very well. Sweat will clean the pores out but how sweating is supposed to collect up nuclear waste, heavy metals or narcotic substances from the muscles I have no idea.

No doubt on cleaning the skin because of opening the pores and increasing the sweating but thats a long way from "purifies".

Its the same old same old. Get overheated and sweaty in a hot room, come out feeling a little looser and "fresher" (after the shower) next thing you know some person is busy advancing a philosophy.

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)
Mick, my son did the purif, we did the IQ tests and his IQ went higher and he was vey happy. He twinned with a PC of mine from Spain and when this PC went back home his parents were very impressed with the change of appeareance and called me and asked what he has done.

I repeat: The Purif is not for everyone.

I repeat: One size does not fit all.

Take a look at this article:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/280619-do-saunas-really-detox-you/

You can google the benefits of the sauna if you wish.

I lived in Scandinavia for thirteen years and had plenty of saunas before during and after the purif. I like taking a sauna.

But not because it "purifies" anything at all. It is just a way of getting one's body heated throughout and inducing a lassitude and relaxation. It is a social activity.

But it ain't "purifying".

As for your son's IQ - which IQ test and administered by whom? Which test before and which after? Were the results within standard deviancies?

Look Diana I am happy that you are happy with your son's results. That's totally fine. But one more "success story" is worth as much as a hubbard taped lecture - less than nothing.

If you want to prove a point then develop a regimen of testing using standardized tests and standardized methodology for evaluating them.

And then you might actually come up with something that is useful - and not the statement of some parents who were "very impressed".

And instead of being someone who pushes Hubbardian dreck, you could actually, maybe, advance real knowledge.

In the meantime you could start googling things like "confirmation bias"

Rene Descartes

Gold Meritorious Patron
This information comes from a book called "Undaunted Courage"
written by Stephen Ambrose

It is about the Lewis and Clark Expedition. The passages below occur
during the spring of 1806 with the Nez Perce Indians.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Among the party, Bratton was still suffering from his bad back….

At Private John Shield's suggestion, Clark prescribed a sweat bath for
Bratton. A sweat lodge was built, stones were heated up and placed
inside, Bratton went in naked with a vessel of water to sprinkle on
the stones to make steam, and after twenty minutes he was taken out
and plunged into cold water. Then back to the sweat lodge. Within a
day, Bratton was walking, free from pain from the first time in
months.

Lewis did most of the smoking and talking with the chiefs, while Clark
practiced medicine. …
One case was particularly difficult. An old chief had been suffering
from paralysis for three years. "He was incapable of moving a single
limb", Lewis reported, … Nothing Clark tried on him seemed to do any
good.
…the paralyzed chief showed no improvement. Lewis regretted that he
was not back in Philadelphia, where Benjamin Franklin had experimented
with electricity to treat paralytic cases. "I am confident that this
[chief] would be an excellent subject for electricity," Lewis wrote on
May 27.

Instead of shock therapy, the captains decided on heat therapy. They
built a sweat lodge for the chief and put him in, fortified with
thirty drops of laudanum for relaxation. It worked. The chief regained
the use of his hands and arms, and soon his leg and toes. "He seems
highly delighted with his recovery," Lewis wrote on May 30. "I begin
to entertain strong hope of his restoration by these sweats."

RD00

Coyote13

Thought Criminal
cant say what you got from the purif, but i sure got a lot of wasted time and feeling sick from the vitamins( and some nausea from having to drink the oil :S ) and the "cognition" that theres no end phenomena to the purif, just whatever you believed.

the best thing about the purif was that it was over, period, no other noticable difference in my life. i wasnt smarter (well except for learning that the emeter is easy to fool and that even when youre supposed to have a choice in scientology, you really dont, especially if youre a child or dependent on another), i didnt have more energy, nothing, just a lot of unneccessary irritation and building realization that scientology is insane and i was surrpounded by insane adults who wanted me to grow up and be just as insane.

another thing, i did the purif around 1987 or 88 or so, i cant recall if it was before or after that chernobyl incident. dont they claim somewhere that the purif will protect you from radiation and such? not sure if it had anything to do with it, but my stepfather and my mother sure seemed like they were overly zealous about us doing it (the purif).

oh yeah, and i too would like to see the documentation which prooves that someone got smarter from the purif, preferably reliable sources, not ones using scientology methodology, but real scientific method with double blind studies and control groups and such. sure its not for everyone, but if youre going to make claims, back them up, and if it only works for some people, then say so, quit the scientology works period bullshit lol.

thats part of the issue with scientology, it promises what it cant deliver, and it claims those promises are backed by science, when in fact theyve never been tested (to my knowledge, no one has shown any kind of documentation that shows sound scientific method when it comes to scientology working, only a person opinion, highly subjective evidence) and when the "tech" doesnt work, they blame the person or some other lame excuse that let them keep thinking they have all the answers without having to face the fact they arent getting what they want to believe they are getting. peace and blessings.

La La Lou Lou

Crusader
Mick you're right.

I can't quite see how the toxins were supposed to ooze out of your pores. But let's imagine for a second that it worked and somehow by magic the crap in your body, the strontium ninety etc just slid out. Trouble is that every time you sat on the bench you would collect the crap that some one else had dropped. The towel you were wearing would absorb the LSD bacteria and industrial waste left by the last guy, together with the salt and bacteria. The skin around your anus is very absorbent, (that's why you have suppositories), it's also why anal sex is such a good way of passing on AIDS.

Did someone have a nice trip after sitting on the LSD that slid out my thighs? No.... if the process of sweating out toxins actually worked it would just recycle the crap. That means to me that he must have known it didn't work or he didn't give a toss about anyone, or you could be that we swapped toxins.

He knew people were freaked out about radiation and he wanted to sell a product that would make them feel safe while costing money. And then he spread terror about the coming Third World War that could only be survived if you did this. He knew how to rake in cash. Shame it didn't go to the org staff, but if it had gone on pay the staff would have paid for their own purifs.

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
I have talked to people who did the purif and felt they derived some changes. Now, me, I did it and did not feel any different. In fact, I absolutely hated it. I did not notice any improvements or changes in my physical wellbeing whatsoever.

La La Lou Lou

Crusader
Rene, interesting, but unfortunately the purif was never used for paralysis, it was used to get drugs out of the system, I think it would have been interesting to have taken laudanum before the sauna. I wonder if LRong himself did the purif?

Captain Koolaid

Patron Meritorious
The fat Fraud didn't know the difference between nicotine and nicotinic acid (aka Niacin). So "Dr. Hubbard" claimed that it was the nicotinic acid in cigarettes that ran out radiation, which would therefore be great to run out other toxins as well.

Apart form the fact that toxins (apart from some very rare pesticides) are not stored in the fat tissue, it's all based on "false data". Because of Hubbard's incompetence people keep overdosing on Niacin, and they think they're getting smarter, too. The purif is based on quackery, and it's dangerous. So it fits perfectly into the whole Scientology experience.

Ogsonofgroo

Crusader
Just in case this link hasn't been posted yet~ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purification_Rundown

Been trying to find the uni. Alberta article on purif which is an excellent one, hm will post if found.
Another article that I cannot seem to track down is one that explains the origional 'running out toxins' aspect of the scam, where if you take a large dose of iron and starch the towels the starch mixes with the iron in your sweat to turn the towel black/green/brown and folks would go 'aha! toxins coming out!'~ just a bunch of quackery bs.
Saunas, good for cleaning out your pores and relaxing imho.

Rene Descartes

Gold Meritorious Patron
The Church of Scientology unsuccessfully tried to have the Nobel Peace Prize awarded to Hubbard for his invention of the Purification Rundown.

Oh my God! Excuse me whilst I run to the bathroom and barf. Then I will be able to laugh without getting barf through my nose.

Rd00