What's new

Marty (The Rat) Rathbun

GreyWolf

Gold Meritorious Patron
From today's Village Voice:

In a videotaped interview, Rathbun explained how he was sent on a mad cross-country dash to hunt Annie down and bring her back.
(At the time, Rathbun was Miscavige's chief "enforcer" in the church.)

After Rathbun caught up to her at Logan Airport in Boston, Annie seemed resigned to her fate -- as Rathbun says, once she spotted
him, her shoulders sagged, and any intention she had of continuing on just evaporated. Taking no chances that she might change her
mind if she and Rathbun waited for a morning flight, Miscavige had her flown back that same night on John Travolta's private jet,
Rathbun says.

Annie returned to Int Base, and never left again.

Rathbun, at his blog, angrily pointed out the facts listed in the death certificate -- that at some point during her illness, Tidman
was moved to an apartment in Hollywood, although her sisters were allowed to keep thinking she was being held at the base, for example.

He also blamed Miscavige for coercing Tidman into dying ignominiously.

But I had to put it to Rathbun himself -- after all, wasn't he the one who screamed down the highway at illegal speeds to get to the
Ontario airport, and then flew across the country so he could track down Tidman and bring her back? An experience, combined with subsequent
"rehabilitation" with hard labor and sec-checking, that had "broken" her?

Didn't he feel some remorse for having helped to break down Tidman so that she never attempted to leave again?

"Do I feel guilty? Well, not really. She made her decision," he told me, saying that when he caught up with Tidman, she could have
continued onto a small plane that was about to leave the Boston airport and he would not have been able to follow her on board.
Instead, just the sight of him seemed to make her give up her escape attempt. Rathbun defensively added that he'd done what he could
to help the family get what information it could in the last year and a half. But then, he shifted tone.

"Yeah, I do feel bad about it," he said about the 1992 incident. "But I think I've been doing everything I can to reverse those problems."

As David Miscavige's chief enforcement officer Marty knew that she would react that way just seeing his face. It was the same reason he stayed in the
cult even after becoming victim to the abuse himself. Because he was afraid of being declared. Because he was afraid of losing his eternity.

Marty, if you wish to reverse the problems in the "church", give up trying to be the next Messiah and get out there and tell the world where all
the bodies are buried. :angry:

Lure Rob & Hyde

Patron with Honors

In a videotaped interview, Rathbun explained how he was sent on a mad cross-country dash to hunt Annie down and bring her back.

After Rathbun caught up to her at Logan Airport in Boston, Annie seemed resigned to her fate -- as Rathbun says, once she spotted
him, her shoulders sagged, and any intention she had of continuing on just evaporated. Taking no chances that she might change her
mind if she and Rathbun waited for a morning flight, Miscavige had her flown back that same night on John Travolta's private jet,
Rathbun says.

Rathbun, at his blog, angrily pointed out the facts listed in the death certificate -- that at some point during her illness, Tidman
was moved to an apartment in Hollywood, although her sisters were allowed to keep thinking she was being held at the base, for example.

But I had to put it to Rathbun himself -- after all, wasn't he the one who screamed down the highway at illegal speeds to get to the
Ontario airport, and then flew across the country so he could track down Tidman and bring her back? An experience, combined with subsequent

Didn't he feel some remorse for having helped to break down Tidman so that she never attempted to leave again?

"Do I feel guilty? Well, not really. She made her decision," he told me, saying that when he caught up with Tidman, she could have
continued onto a small plane that was about to leave the Boston airport and he would not have been able to follow her on board.
Instead, just the sight of him seemed to make her give up her escape attempt. Rathbun defensively added that he'd done what he could
to help the family get what information it could in the last year and a half. But then, he shifted tone.

"Yeah, I do feel bad about it," he said about the 1992 incident. "But I think I've been doing everything I can to reverse those problems."

As David Miscavige's chief enforcement officer Marty knew that she would react that way just seeing his face. It was the same reason he stayed in the
cult even after becoming victim to the abuse himself. Because he was afraid of being declared. Because he was afraid of losing his eternity.

Marty, if you wish to reverse the problems in the "church", give up trying to be the next Messiah and get out there and tell the world where all

AND Dont foget to denounce Elwrong Blubard for the willfully evil Quack that he was!!! ************

Rene Descartes

Gold Meritorious Patron

Rathbun says.

Crap! Marty "made it go right" and got to her in the airport before she could depart.

He should have wrote up the win in Adavance MAgazine - how he was 80 miles away from the airport and he only had 5 minutes to get there.

Marty should "make it go right" now and bring everything to light and out in the open.

But he can't do that. This is the VFP of all that LRH has given as a gift tendered to mankind, straight from mankind's greatest friend.

That gift?

Insanity so deeply ingrained that one could not even begin to understand that some of the things they did wrong were so wrong that they were dead wrong.

I hate using the words "non confront" but that is where they are at now.

I hate using Scientology jargon to state they are wrong.

Very well, let's use the less prejorative terminology -

Accessory to the crime

Rd00

GreyWolf

Gold Meritorious Patron
Very well, let's use the less pejorative terminology -

Accessory to the crime

Rd00

Exactly! Unless he receives full immunity, he will never reveal all he knows because he is involved. The same reason he doesn't want Miscavige prosecuted. His name would come into it.

paradox

ab intra silentio vera
Even with full immunity he wouldn't tell all. That would be anathema to the $cientological mindset that knowledge (real or imagined) is power and altitude, with implied (and withheld) knowledge or inside information best of all. Even if he awoke from the madness of his $cn mission in life, I still highly doubt he would tell all.

GreyWolf

Gold Meritorious Patron
Even with full immunity he wouldn't tell all. That would be anathema to the $cientological mindset that knowledge (real or imagined) is power and altitude, with implied (and withheld) knowledge or inside information best of all. Even if he awoke from the madness of his $cn mission in life, I still highly doubt he would tell all.

I fear you are right. And it is too bad because he may be the only person who could bring down Miscavige. The reason he won't? Because he would also bring down the "church". Of course, I wouldn't mind that a bit.

Freeminds

Bitter defrocked apostate
There are two tragedies here, not just the obvious one.

Marty coerced Annie into returning to the cult's manipulations in 1992. That's something like nineteen years ago, people. If Ortega is correct, and "Annie returned to Int Base, and never left again" then a person who wanted to get out - at least to get some peace and think things through for herself - never again got that chance.

Can you imagine being chased down and taken back into an abusive cult, and never again having a chance to think for yourself, or make choices about your own life... for almost two decades, until you die?

Greater good of the greatest number of dynamics, my ass. This is an outrage against fundamental human rights, and it degrades all human beings that such things can take place. How many more victims is Scientology denying basic freedoms to, tonight?

Marty might "feel bad about that" but he certainly doesn't feel bad enough, yet. Perhaps one day he will come to understand just how much damage Hubbardism has done to him, and his victims.

Durandal

Patron
There are two tragedies here, not just the obvious one.

Marty coerced Annie into returning to the cult's manipulations in 1992. That's something like nineteen years ago, people. If Ortega is correct, and "Annie returned to Int Base, and never left again" then a person who wanted to get out - at least to get some peace and think things through for herself - never again got that chance.

Can you imagine being chased down and taken back into an abusive cult, and never again having a chance to think for yourself, or make choices about your own life... for almost two decades, until you die?

Greater good of the greatest number of dynamics, my ass. This is an outrage against fundamental human rights, and it degrades all human beings that such things can take place. How many more victims is Scientology denying basic freedoms to, tonight?

Marty might "feel bad about that" but he certainly doesn't feel bad enough, yet. Perhaps one day he will come to understand just how much damage Hubbardism has done to him, and his victims.

It sounds a lot like any abusive marriage or relationship :thumbsup:

Anyway, this Marty Rathbun stuff is interesting! I just found a weird site: http://martyrathbunindependent.com/

Looks like a CofS propaganda deal? The video posted there about him most certainly has to be. Funny stuff, though also sad and all that.

C of S: You people are conniving, evil sons of bitches! Quit doing evil in the name of your overpriced cult! Sheesh.

GreyWolf

Gold Meritorious Patron

To do that, he would have to stop drinking the Koolaid himself, and as yet, there is no 12 step program for Scientologists.

Durandal

Patron

I'm betting there aren't many Scientologist scientists :whistling:

To do that, he would have to stop drinking the Koolaid himself, and as yet, there is no 12 step program for Scientologists.

Q: Why are there no 12 Step Programs for Scientologists?

A: The only step that is necessary is the one out the door.

Mark A. Baker

GreyWolf

Gold Meritorious Patron

Mark A. Baker

After that would be trying to find out why one stepped in.
After that would be why one stayed in.
Somewhere after that would be taking responsibility for ones actions while in and making amends. (Marty is no where close to this)

GreyWolf

Gold Meritorious Patron

A scientist says:
Hm I think if I do this, then this will happen, but if it doesn't, I have learned something.
A Scientologist says:
Ron told me that if I do this, then this will happen, and if it doesn't, I did it wrong.

paradox

ab intra silentio vera
paradox said:

I probably should have qualified that with the "Sea Ogre $cientological mindset." There have been a few $cn scientists I've heard of over the years, but I'd bet with you that there aren't all that many or that remain so for long.

ClearEyed

Patron with Honors

There is much more to it than that. Marty had a personality and character of his own before he got into Scientology and the Sea Org. Something in his make-up made him ripe for DM's plucking as his sycophant. Do not ever forget that Marty was the one who helped DM depose the CO CMO by tricking her into giving up her position. DM would never have gotten where he is today without a deputy/enforcer. Think of Marty as a pet pit bull whose owner turned on him. Marty needs a leader to give him an agenda and a purpose. Something or someone to use him. DM turned on him, so now Marty's owner/leader is LRH. In another time and place, Marty would have found another cause or leader to dedicate himself to. He's soldier and enforcer. His intellectual abilities are rather limited, and so are his interpersonal abilities. He is not smart enough or charming enough to be a real leader over the long term. He can't even charm the silly little Squirrel Busters that show up on his door. (He could have avoided a lot of unneccessary drama if he'd acted like a wog instead of an MAA.) He is just the Blaster part of Master/Blaster from the MadMax movies. I pity him. To a degree. I don't think he has enough character to realize how much damage he has caused.

GreyWolf

Gold Meritorious Patron
There is much more to it than that. Marty had a personality and character of his own before he got into Scientology and the Sea Org. Something in his make-up made him ripe for DM's plucking as his sycophant. Do not ever forget that Marty was the one who helped DM depose the CO CMO by tricking her into giving up her position. DM would never have gotten where he is today without a deputy/enforcer. Think of Marty as a pet pit bull whose owner turned on him. Marty needs a leader to give him an agenda and a purpose. Something or someone to use him. DM turned on him, so now Marty's owner/leader is LRH. In another time and place, Marty would have found another cause or leader to dedicate himself to. He's soldier and enforcer. His intellectual abilities are rather limited, and so are his interpersonal abilities. He is not smart enough or charming enough to be a real leader over the long term. He can't even charm the silly little Squirrel Busters that show up on his door. (He could have avoided a lot of unneccessary drama if he'd acted like a wog instead of an MAA.) He is just the Blaster part of Master/Blaster from the MadMax movies. I pity him. To a degree. I don't think he has enough character to realize how much damage he has caused.

Not to worry my friend. More and more "indies" are waking up every day to the truth. I have a feeling that even some of his stanchest supporters will be leaving the fold soon.

Man de la Mancha

Patron with Honors
In addition to being a skilled spy, Mr. Rathbun is by all accounts an excellent Scientology technician, albeit a squirrel. He seems sincere in his apologies. I'd bet a lot of former staff would have done the same things at some time, and I won’t judge him for “taking the 5th”. As far as I’m concerned, any former staff who ever got in a junior’s face and screamed bloody murder has no standing to opine. Mr. Rathbun may never have the moral authority to be “the leader”, but he has no fear, and the “Car Wash Incident” was run to complete certainty on all 8 dynamics. One of those beautiful things only a Texan could fully appreciate.

Infinite

Troublesome Internet Fringe Dweller

Mark A. Baker

Ahhhh . . . if only that were true. It may be the case for some neophytes but anyone of importance to the cult as, say, a staff member, the first step is certainly out the door but its far away from being the only step necessary. The moment that first step is taken out comes the "Blow Drill" with deeply personal information culled from PC folders used against the person in an attempt to lure them back. If that fails, the same information gets used against the person in an effort to destroy their chances of making a go of it in wog world. Then there's all the thought-corrupting language to be unlearned, the ideas and concepts which prevent an escapee from reaching out to professionals and other wogs for assistance. Plus, lets not forget those operating outside the cult looking to lure people back into the mind fuck by reinforcing it through offering Auditing and so on. No, there's a lot more than just stepping out the door required and the more a person has invested in Scientology, the more steps are required to rid oneself of it.