What's new

Debbie Cook strikes back

Ogsonofgroo

Crusader
Where is the damned popcorn icon?!?

: drama : (without the spaces) :cheers: (I have no idea why it wasn't just popcorn except that :p gives a tongue face and -opcorn: ;) )

And yo! :drama: :drama:

Going to be a very interestin' spring me am thoughting!

(meanwhile back at the ranch~ :dance: :dance: :dance3: :beer: :dance: )

:yes:

Veda

Sponsor
-snip-

Beyond that, the Judge on the case can make or break it for one side or the other.

So for me, no armchair expert, its just a crapshoot but I tend to think the Cof$ comes out undaunted somehow.

I'd feel a lot more optimistic on sea change occurring if Debbie Cook was fully forthcoming about the bad acts she committed and was party to while she was CO at Flag.

:yes:

Consulting other judicial decisions, over the past several decades, regarding Scientology, is useful. One judge decides one way, the next judge decides another way, the appeals judge reverses that, and it goes on.

There's really no choice but to wait until next Thursday, and it's likely (but not a certainty), that this will be a prolonged battle, and the final outcome will not be known for some time.

Lohan2008

Gold Meritorious Patron
My take is that DK challenged the TRO as a way to stop the cofs from piling TRO after TRO on her as well it "shakes up" the prosecution and keeps the spotlight on the cofs activites, especially if she was to meet with an accident.

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
Here is the full Village Voice article. This is speeding up!

Debbie Cook's Motion Denied: Scientology's Restraining Order Remains in Place Until Thursday Hearing

As we reported yesterday, Debbie Cook, who is being sued by the Church of Scientology for speaking out to her fellow church members in a New Year's Eve e-mail, filed a motion to dissolve a temporary restraining order so broad, it prevented her from hiring an attorney (she hired one anyway) or talking about the case with her husband, who is also being sued.

After a hearing this morning, however, Texas 150th District Court Judge Janet P. Littlejohn denied Cook's motion and continued matters until Thursday, when the restraining order will run out and there will be a hearing to determine if the same restrictions on Cook's rights will become a temporary injunction that could last the duration of the case.

Littlejohn's clerk, Shirley Myers, confirmed to me that Cook's motion had been denied, but she added that another judge, and not necessarily Littlejohn, will preside over Thursday's hearing, when the real fireworks in this case should begin.

As Cook's attorney's Ray Jeffrey told me yesterday, it is in that hearing that he plans to introduce evidence of how Cook was treated in the church she gave so many years -- and we have already published some harrowing examples of that.

"We'll get into some of her experiences, which are beyond the pale of what a human being should endure," Jeffrey said yesterday.

As we write this, we hear that Jeffrey and Cook and her husband, Wayne Baumgarten are huddling in a strategy meeting. If we can get anything from Jeffrey soon, we'll add to this post.

(Yesterday, I left a message for Scientology's San Antonio attorney, George Spencer, but I haven't heard back from him.)

UPDATE: The San Antonio Express-News had reporter John MacCormack at the hearing, and he filed this description of how things went down at the hearing...

Judge Janet Littlejohn declined to lift a temporary restraining order after being assured it will not cripple the couple's defense.

"There is no reason you cannot accumulate evidence and talk to witnesses for trial next week," she told Cook's lawyer, Ray Jeffrey.

"Other than that, they are restrained by the order," she added.

Jeffrey had argued unsuccessfully that the church cannot muzzle Cook and Baumgarten, without proving specific damages, regardless of any agreements they signed.

"Prior restraint of speech is presumptively unconstitutional," he argued.

"She didn't defame anyone. She sent out a message that was laudatory to Scientology and urged Scientologists to remain true to their faith," he added.

MacCormack also got a response from church spokeswoman Karin Pouw, and even for Karin, this one was really off the charts:

In response to e-mailed questions sent Friday, church spokeswoman Karin Pouw said the dispute is no more than "a breach-of-contract case."

"As is common with defendants in such cases, Debbie Cook wants to divert attention away from her lack of compliance with the terms she voluntarily agreed to in signing the contract," she added.

Pouw disputed others who described Cook as a longtime, important church leader, asserting she had "never held a senior management position."

"She has not attended church in years and has become a squirrel. A squirrel is someone who alters Scientology Scripture; a heretic," she added.

It's a shame MacCormack didn't immediately point out that as Captain FSO for 17 years, Cook had actually been the equivalent of CEO of Scientology's spiritual mecca, the Flag Service Organization in Clearwater, Florida, and to this day is a somewhat legendary figure in the church. In fact, it's her status as a major figure in Scientology that made her e-mail such a devastating one. (MacCormack's piece is otherwise an excellent introduction to the case for Texas readers.)

As for calling people squirrels, we wonder how Karin didn't get an "apostate" in there somewhere.

2nd UPDATE: Marty Rathbun, who was in the courtroom, has more at his blog...

Miscavige's (FSO's) counsel claimed not to have any intention of using the temporary injunction to hinder Debbie and Wayne's defense. Then Mr Jeffrey pulled out the letter Miscavige's boys faxed to Jeffrey the day before last. The letter threatened the Baumgartens with a motion to have the court hold them in contempt. For what? Allegedly conferring with her legal team consultants and witnesses, namely yours truly and Mike Rinder.

The judge denied the motion to dissolve only after being assured by Miscavige's boys that they would drop their attempts to use the court's order to obstruct Debbie and Wayne's defense preparation.

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2012/02/debbie_cooks_mo.php

freethinker

Sponsor
Marty and Mike are hungry.:biggrin:

Hey, I don't understand this. Can anyone explain it?

Rathbun collected money for Debbie Cook. Now he is thanking those contributors on his blog.

I must have missed something. She didn't take the funds, right?

So, what did he spend the money on?

How is it a legal defense fund for Debbie Cook, if she doesn't take the money and use it?

What the hell is going on? LOL

Times two.

it was $50 K if you read the article & CofS is sueing for $300K damages
DOX!

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/lo...ntology-dispute-hits-Bexar-courts-2996788.php

Free to shine

Shiny & Free

Rathbun collected money for Debbie Cook. Now he is thanking those contributors on his blog.

How is it a legal defense fund for Debbie Cook, if she doesn't take the money and use it?

Yes Marty's statement below. Note the "all of us". That gives the impression Debbie is part of "us" without actually saying so, true or not.

Mike Rinder and I both attest that Ray Jeffrey is the best possible man to have in Debbie and Wayne’s corner. In fact, I don’t think there is anyone in San Antonio, or anywhere else for that matter, who better fits the bill.

For those who have made contributions to Debbie and Wayne’s defense, your donations are well invested. You are very much appreciated by all of us. To those who haven’t and wish to contribute, you can do so at Debbie’s personal webpage (see donate to legal defense fund notice in upper right hand margin): Debbie’s legal defense fund.

LA SCN

NOT drinking the kool-aid

I'm at a loss as well.

WTF were Spin and Marty doing in the courtroom today? Yes, I know anyone can attend if they so desire, but Marty has inserted himself into this thing from the get-go. I've seen no evidence or acknowledgement of any comm line between Cook and Rathbun nor any invitation for his help.

On another thread about this topic earlier today I read a post in which the poster noted how every lawsuit that had enlisted Martys' aid or whose litigant he was cozy with had failed. This bolsters my notion that Spin and Marty are covert damage control and co-opting agents for DM.

If I were Debbie, I'd tell Marty to stay the hell away.

But then, on the other hand, the were co-conspirators in the Lisa M. scandal...there may be deep ties.

:omg:

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)
I realize that Debbie's lawyer is all for the "blood in the water" approach - and explaining how badly she was treated.

Is he ready for what the CofS is going to unleash on his client?

I am not sure that he understands what position his client had in the CofS and what she did.

Before anyone gets upset - please understand that I am not after Debbie (though back when she was married to Alan , whoa nellie, ) as I said elsewhere I want BOTH sides to lose.

So let's look at what the lawyer can advance - she was in the "hole" - the CofS will respond with her *signed affidavit* that she was there willingly ( I am assuming that they have one - if they don't then that could be very interesting). The lawyer can hold up her "loss of her future" - the cofs merely needs to respond with the people she willingly kicked to the kerb. Who all survived.

She has been one of the pillars supporting DM, for 17 years - nuff said.

Jquepublic

Silver Meritorious Patron
I realize that Debbie's lawyer is all for the "blood in the water" approach - and explaining how badly she was treated.

Is he ready for what the CofS is going to unleash on his client?

I am not sure that he understands what position his client had in the CofS and what she did.

Before anyone gets upset - please understand that I am not after Debbie (though back when she was married to Alan , whoa nellie, ) as I said elsewhere I want BOTH sides to lose.

So let's look at what the lawyer can advance - she was in the "hole" - the CofS will respond with her *signed affidavit* that she was there willingly ( I am assuming that they have one - if they don't then that could be very interesting). The lawyer can hold up her "loss of her future" - the cofs merely needs to respond with the people she willingly kicked to the kerb. Who all survived.

She has been one of the pillars supporting DM, for 17 years - nuff said.

I really want you to be wrong! I realise, though, that it could indeed be that cut and dried. But her attorney's partner has expertise in contract law, and that will no doubt come in handy.

I'm hoping for the best though - and ultimately hoping to see Scientology leader David Miscavige on trial! If it happens what do you wanna bet he'd eventually choose to represent himself because nobody else could do it as well?

You know, like Manson and Bundy.

Ogsonofgroo

Crusader
Here is the full Village Voice article. This is speeding up!

Holy mother of cows! Karen P.'s retort is so pathetic it doesn't even read on my Universal Pathetic detector's scale. (oh sorry, correction/edit~ the reading was so high it crapped out mah detector)

PopcornGiantBag.jpg

(because I soooooo much want to share mah popcorns and have some company for this latest flurry of futbullets and insanity! But, me am short of nicely browned yummy butter, hm, maybe a dash of angiveda yeasts too! Garlic powder? ~ Oh yeh! )

freethinker

Sponsor
Whoever the judge is for this case has the case of his life in his hands. From what I have been reading these Kitchen sink NDA's are thrown out for vagueness.

If he (the judge) upholds THIS Kitchen sink NDA it will change the Commercial world over night. This is a much bigger case than Debbie and the CO$, this will impact NDA's as they are used in the Commercial world.

Is this the first breach of NDA the CO$ has brought to trial?

Jquepublic

Whoever the judge is for this case has the case of his life in his hands. From what I have been reading these Kitchen sink NDA's are thrown out for vagueness.

If he (the judge) upholds THIS Kitchen sink NDA it will change the Commercial world over night. This is a much bigger case than Debbie and the CO$, this will impact NDA's as they are used in the Commercial world.

I don't know if it's the first ever but it's the first brought against any of the "defector" crew, and quite a lot of them have been publicly speaking about their experiences in a far more direct way than she did in her email.

I hope the bloody things are rendered invalid. I could not believe how restrictive they were. Interpreted to the letter she couldn't even hire an attorney.

Ogsonofgroo

Crusader

Oh............my......... I do not think it even began with Gerry A.... even, my thought is though is that most of the old cases simply got bought out before it got to the nuts & bolts of the issues. :shrug:

:drama:

Nah.

giant_popcorn.jpg

BUTTTTERRRRRRRRRRZ!

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)
I really want you to be wrong! I realise, though, that it could indeed be that cut and dried. But her attorney's partner has expertise in contract law, and that will no doubt come in handy.

I'm hoping for the best though - and ultimately hoping to see Scientology leader David Miscavige on trial! If it happens what do you wanna bet he'd eventually choose to represent himself because nobody else could do it as well?

You know, like Manson and Bundy.

you are totally right to want me to be wrong - *I* hope I am wrong. But I have to say that 17 years of being on line and opposing the cofs has shown me that it is NEVER cut and dried.

Miscavige has over a billion dollars of money to spend on attornies - at that level of expertise - how does a Texas judge stack up?

For example - Miscavige could move to some non extraditable country with hundreds of millions of dollars. And there is NOTHING that could be done about it.

But OK - lets take YOUR hopeful view. Let's say Debbie gets the agreement annulled.

What happens next?

Natalie

Patron with Honors
Debbie and Wayne did get the money. When Marty said "invested" he was saying the money people donated is wisely invested in Debbie's defense.

Ogsonofgroo

Crusader
Critters eat their young?

Why yes, yes they sometimes do.

Thank you dogs of the interwebs, no matter how Dave Miscavige and crew think they are KSW blah-blah-blah, the whole thing is being watched, by the world, and this is a very satifying thing imho.

:carryon:

Jquepublic

you are totally right to want me to be wrong - *I* hope I am wrong. But I have to say that 17 years of being on line and opposing the cofs has shown me that it is NEVER cut and dried.

Miscavige has over a billion dollars of money to spend on attornies - at that level of expertise - how does a Texas judge stack up?

For example - Miscavige could move to some non extraditable country with hundreds of millions of dollars. And there is NOTHING that could be done about it.

But OK - lets take YOUR hopeful view. Let's say Debbie gets the agreement annulled.

What happens next?

Oh, I have no idea what will happen!! I just know that it will be long and litigious and it will be headlines! :drama: This isn't like any other suit. That's what makes me hopeful - there are angles and aspects of this case that haven't existed before as far as I know.

I also think we will have LOTS more cases to talk about as a result of this one if it goes well for her!

I want her unmuzzled. I want her to say everything she knows.

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on
Debbie and Wayne did get the money. When Marty said "invested" he was saying the money people donated is wisely invested in Debbie's defense.

Wutt? Really?

She took the money?

How did we know this?

I thought she was still maintaining that she is not connected to people in bad standing or SPs.

Usually I understand things very quickly, but with Scientologists I can't seem to keep the stories separated from the shore stories and it gets confusing.