What's new

Lies, lies lies

Good twin

Floater
I was thinking about the amount of lies I've heard or read that are presented by Scientologists. Much of what is covered on the anti sites is about this.

I know that I lied regularly as a Scientologist and yes I always justified it with "the greatest good...". But there's a bit more to it. Always, while lying or half truthing my way through sticky situations there was also a feeling that I too didn't really know what the actual truth is.

So in actual fact it became impossible to tell any truth about the things I had been lied to about and there were things that I knew I had been lied to about. I also assumed it was for my own good that I wasn't permitted to know, but it still bugged the hell out of me.

As an auditor and long time Scientologist I came to realize that there were certain things you would never get a straight answer about and even tech queries that would be "danced around".

Example: The "Sweat program" that evolved into the Purification R/D was presented by LRH as the solution to the biochemical personality. It was originally issued for people who had taken LSD or Angel Dust. We were told that this was the handling for these people and would rid them of this devastating case blocker and free them from the biochemical influences that created the unwanted personality traits found in people with this interference.

However even if you completed this "handling" you were still not qualed for the SO if you ever had taken LSD. Isn't this an admission that the "handling" didn't really handle at all? Whenever I queried this or heard someone else query this I heard the pat answer about ALL the other drug handlings on the grade chart. But even if someone had done ALL the drug handlings available he still was not qualed for the SO. And even though there are other drug handlings the purif is supposed to be the one that handles LSD/Angel Dust. I suppose it doesn't.

I know this is all ridiculous to anyone on this board. You are all very aware of the old carrot on a stick routine. But the point is even those that are "in" know that the tech doesn't really handle what it's reported to handle. So yes, each and every staff member realizes to some degree that he is selling a piece of blue sky to everyone and himself as well. The fact that we all did so willingly and consistently is what is amazing.

The question is something like this:

What is the most ridiculous lie you told someone while trying to convince yourself it was true?

I'm curious to see what some of you have to say. Some of mine are:

1. I smoke because I enjoy it. Period.
2. A Scientologist who has read Problems of Work knows more about running a business then any WOG exec.
3. That will get handled somewhere on the bridge.

I will say that it's hard for me to shake the datum that auditors are the most valuable beings on the planet. Those still in the church just aren't using their compassion and patience in the most effective and efficient way by far. definitely not "the greatest good..."

Got some goodys?

Good Twin

Wisened One

Crusader
I used to Reg and the one lie I HATED telling people was the:

'Oh, well pay for this course/auditing/package and you'll be 'more able' and be so much more 'clean' and 'make things go right' faster and then you'll 'pull in' MORE funds....

And some of them would fall for it, pay for it....and then several maxed out credit cards later.....

They're left with this huge amount of debt in addition to all their regular bills and kids to raise, mortgages to make,etc...

?????

Wisened One

Good twin

Floater
Oh, yeah that one. OMG. The problem is sometimes it worked. Or we made it look like it did. Now I am less hopeless about all of the debt I created. I still have plenty, but there is light at the end of the tunnel for the first time in 30 years. (still a pretty long tunnel LOL)

Kathy (ImOut)

Gold Meritorious Patron
I used to Reg and the one lie I HATED telling people was the:

'Oh, well pay for this course/auditing/package and you'll be 'more able' and be so much more 'clean' and 'make things go right' faster and then you'll 'pull in' MORE funds....

And some of them would fall for it, pay for it....and then several maxed out credit cards later.....

They're left with this huge amount of debt in addition to all their regular bills and kids to raise, mortgages to make,etc...

?????

Wisened One

I got told this a lot. This $5000 for an intensive will make you more able, so you can pay the debt. Or, it will only cost you $50 a month to pay the $5000. And that will take me 30 years to pay off.

Wisened One

Crusader
Good Twin: Yeah. Several of my friends are still trying to climb out from under their high debts and haven't been able to get back onto (or get very high) on the bridge...sad.

Wisened One

ExScnDude

Patron with Honors
I know someone who put $20,000 on his credit cards and then spent the next ten years paying them off due to the incredibly high interest rates he had to pay.

During this time, he only did a few services and would hardly ever come in to the org due to his fear of being regged for more money.

Sadly, as soon as he got them paid off, he bought a bunch of services at AO.

Let's hear it for all those lies we told ourselves.

"You go back, Jack, do it again. Wheels turning round and round" ....

Good twin

Floater
Wisened one,

I try to just keep it as a game. I figure if I didn't have my debt I wouldn't have such incentive to work and increase my earning potential. I felt that way when I was going into debt too. Now that I am not supporting every new release or IAS project or any of the various "flavor of the month" activities. I rather enjoy deciding which creditor to pay extra each month and find I enjoy my expenses because I can choose to some degree.

GT

Good twin

Floater
ExScnDude,

Oh yeah, Been there. Done that. Over and over. Time after time.

Brings me back to the original question...

Big lie:

Maxing out your cards is your successful action.
:roflmao:

lrnobs

Patron with Honors
I know someone who put $20,000 on his credit cards and then spent the next ten years paying them off due to the incredibly high interest rates he had to pay.

During this time, he only did a few services and would hardly ever come in to the org due to his fear of being regged for more money.

Sadly, as soon as he got them paid off, he bought a bunch of services at AO.

Let's hear it for all those lies we told ourselves.

"You go back, Jack, do it again. Wheels turning round and round" ....

Most "Scientologists" are Scientologists in name and desire only. People who have been members for decades can never do upper levels or advanced services because their own church has priced them out of the market. Is that queer or what? From an accounting "cost of goods" standpoint it costs very little to train an auditor or provide auditing. It is like they are charging $100 for penny candy.
:hamster:

Good twin

Floater
Irnobs,

I was "active" for many years. I have the credit card bills to prove it!:bigcry:

But, yes I was denied any real bridge progress the entire time. That's okay by me.:happydance:

Big lie:

All of this will save you time on your OT levels.

Div6

Crusader
"What your donations buy."

I NEVER saw an auditor put on a plane to "cure an ARC Break'.

"You get 2.5 hours a day of enhancement on staff."

"S.O. members are the Elite of Planet Earth" (Elite criminalz mebbe.)

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
I said some things that weren't true when I was in. But they weren't lies because I did not know they weren't true. I won't say CofS members never lie- I've caught staff members doing it on some occasions. But there are a lot of people who are telling the truth as they see it, as they've been told. They have been lied to.

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
I said some things that weren't true when I was in. But they weren't lies because I did not know they weren't true. I won't say CofS members never lie- I've caught staff members doing it on some occasions. But there are a lot of people who are telling the truth as they see it, as they've been told. They have been lied to.

They also lie to themselves. And believe it. Another part of 'The Tech' that works.

Zinj

Alan

Gold Meritorious Patron

A lie is a lie - no matter if you believe it to be the truth!

lionheart

Gold Meritorious Patron
What is the most ridiculous lie you told someone while trying to convince yourself it was true?

That we were clearing the planet!

I was in long enough to notice the lack of progress. I used to look at old-timers who had been in for years more than me and wonder if they too had noticed that we weren't in fact making any progress at all!

I used to see more people drop out of Scn than came in and wondered how that was going to result in clearing the planet.

I used to wonder if I was the only one telling myself the lie.

Lovesnightsky

Silver Meritorious Patron
You can be of any religion and still be a Scientologist.

You are in the most Ethical place in the planet.

Our is the only way to Total Freedom.

If you leave Scientology you will be doomed for all eternity.

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
A lie is a lie - no matter if you believe it to be the truth!

If a person is considered to be lying, then that means what he says is not only true but that he knows it not to be true. It's a matter of intent.

I never lied when I was in CofS to anyone.

But I sure said some stuff that wasn't true. I've taken responsibility for it and have done whatever I could to set the record straight. But I never knowingly told an untruth to anyone.

From the dictionary:

² Definition lie (lī)

intransitive verb lied, ly′·ing

to make a statement that one knows is false, esp. with intent to deceive
to make such statements habitually
to give a false impression; deceive one statistics can lie
Etymology: ME lien < OE leogan, akin to Ger lügen (Goth liugan) < IE base *leugh-, to tell lies > Lith lūgoti, to ask
transitive verb

to bring, put, accomplish, etc. by lying to lie oneself into office

noun

a false statement or action, esp. one made with intent to deceive
anything that gives or is meant to give a false impression
the charge of lying

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
If a person is considered to be lying, then that means what he says is not only true but that he knows it not to be true. It's a matter of intent.

At what point does reckless disregard for the truth and deliberate ignorance become 'lie'?

Never?

When is wishful thinking a 'lie'?

Never?

Zinj