Picket Signs

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
FREE
SESSIONS
via
INTERNET
www.paulsrobot.com

That's actually far better than mine, Mark. Thanks very much. :)

poster_pra3.png

Paul

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Multi-Message Picket Signs

protest_sign_bits.jpg

I haven't added a handle yet, but one of my to-be-lettered signs consists of:

1. A 190-micron (heavy-gauge) transparent plastic sleeve (Standard A2 size, 420 x 609 mm)
2. A 5 mm thick foamboard (A2 size)
3. Card in different colours (A2 size).

I bought all the above in an art shop. Costs were £1.28 plastic sleeve; £2.45 foamboard; £1.60 for 2 sheets of card.

Paper would probably do instead of card, but card slides into the sleeve easier. The foamboard keeps the sign rigid. Cardboard from a carton would probably work.

Friction holds it all together. The plastic sleeve keeps it all dry if it rains. To change the sign merely requires sliding in another sheet of card, or turning over an existing piece.

Paul

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
Handle: I still highly recommend the kind of PVC pipe you can get at a home improvement center. 1/2" to 3/4" or anything in between.

Light, shatterproof, non-threatening and practically indestructible

Poserboard is attached with self-tapping screws.

Zinj

Zinjifar

I think cardboard poles were ok. You'll have to check to make sure though.

I used a 3/4" PVC 8' pipe in 3 cities I can remember and for about a dozen pickets with no objections :)

Naturally, had there ever been a question, I would have stopped using it, but, there wasn't. 5/8" is probably just as good actually.

Zinj

Zinjifar

Is 8' a good length, Zinj? Or would shorter be better?

Paul

8' is probably too long for most circumstances, but, it came in very handy for the CC, which had high hedges :)

I'd say 5' is ideal, since the sign itself takes up room and you want leverage to hold it.

If you want to get fancy, you can use a smaller pipe inside a wider one so it can telescope :)

With holes to stick a pin through

Zinj

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Thanks Zinj. Hadn't thought about the telescoping idea. Quite smart, really. You can stand it on the ground if you get tired of holding it. Or some CofS guy stands in front of you with a CofS sign. Or you back hurts and you want to take your high heels off for a bit. :)

Paul

Zinjifar

Thanks Zinj. Hadn't thought about the telescoping idea. Quite smart, really. You can stand it on the ground if you get tired of holding it. Or some CofS guy stands in front of you with a CofS sign. Or you back hurts and you want to take your high heels off for a bit. :)

Paul

The pole used in 'Xenu Goes To Hollywood' is one of the original 4 of the 'X' 'E' 'N' 'U' signs with a new poster.

Another nice things about the pvc, they're almost infinitely re-usable

Zinj

Lovesnightsky

Silver Meritorious Patron

Paul

Wow, didn't know you wore heels darling! That would make you 6'4" tall!!!
I know that message was just for me :D

Lovesnightsky

Silver Meritorious Patron
Or 5'8". :)

Paul

Have you been telling me porkies Paul??

tut tut

Good colours are Red and Black. Black for the main text and red for anything to stand out, such as a url. and don't put www. in front of the URL, it's not necessary. i.e. paulsrobot.com is all you need.

Zinjifar

What size screws do you use? How many? Presumably washers too.

Paul

I used 1/2" long self tappings with a wide base, so, no washer needed. They're commonly available.

The only work involved is drilling the holes in the pipe, which should be very small 'pilot' holes. The screw does the rest. For people without a hand-drill, you can use a common awl or just pound a nail through to make the hole.

2 to each side work fine.

It's not 'rocket science' :)

Zinj

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Thanks, Zinji. Oh, hang on. What do you mean by "each side"? Surely you just attach the pipe to one side of the board?

Paul