What's new

Stop Calling People Wogs!

Ogsonofgroo

Crusader
Yarr, prejudice and ignorance, to lump anyone into a group, generalise, and label, is so very 50's.......... hm, just sayin'.... Lron needed to isolate his hate, direct it, blah-blah...... ugly world, this prison planet, yarr~ jump ship.....

derpness

I do admit talking to some ex's etc about the 'wog world', but fucked if I'd call anyone a dergatory name, well, unless they're a cunbt, then I call a spade a spade

:booze:

NoName

A Girl Has No Name
I'll admit I use it in the Scno context to mean non-Scno. I realize I wasn't exactly clear earlier. I am appalled at the word's origin, but know that when Scientologists use it they're not using it in any way against Asians.

That ErLron stole an anti-Asian slur isn't exactry sulplising since he said the plobrem with China is too many Chinks.

Personally, my favorite chinks are the one in Co$'s armor. :biggrin:

(Heh, even my smiley has slanted eyes)

TAJ!!! So naughty... :smack: But funny! :biggrin:

I just hope the point is getting across to everyone, especially those raised in COS, that the word is a negatively charged racial epithet, whether you "mean it to be" or not.

Even used against someone in the Scientological code sense of the word as has been described on this thread is offensive to people.

Don't spread the hate, and claim you are doing it innocently...by using the canard that Ron meant it to mean something different from it's real world meaning.

Yes, it is as bad as the "N" word. It is the British (and British Colonial) equivalent of the "N" word. That's what I am trying to enlighten everyone about. If you wouldn't use the "N" word, then don't use "Wog", it's just as bad, to educated people who understand it. Don't be ignorant.

Come up to present time and back into the real world, everybody!!! :clap: (We don't have a finger snapping smiley...:no:) *SNAP*

I love you guys, but come on...this part of Scientology speech is arrogant, hateful, divisive, and offensive.

Don't be in denial about this.

428265_368456159843194_109200595768753_1177600_772517571_n.jpg

:grouphug:

To speak to the larger issue of dropping the Scientology jargon altogether, or mostly expunging it from your life, I'll quote the wonderful Free to Shine. Taken from her blog, here: http://becomingfreetoshine.wordpress.com/2011/03/27/talking-the-talk/

"Talking the Talk (by Free To Shine) :)
March 27, 2011

The first thing a group with cult tendencies does is introduce a new and exclusive ‘language’ to describe concepts that are limited to that group alone. Scientology had a massive ‘dictionary’ to explain their jargon, which includes numerous abbreviations, totally new words and new meanings for normal everyday English words.

This new language gives a sense of inclusion, of being part of an elite group that can communicate certain concepts only to each other. It breeds a sense of safety and familiarity within the group and widens the divide to the ‘outside world’. After learning hundreds of new words, it in fact becomes a second language.

The first scientology word I learned was “ARC”. This is a made up word from the initials of the words Affinity-Reality-Communication. Without going into lengthy explanations, the idea is that you need to have all three concepts in alignment to lead to ‘understanding’. The term “ARC” is a very small word for a very large concept. It includes all sorts of emotions and substitutes for normal words such as liking, connection, love, empathy etc. The opposite of “ARC” is “ARC Break” (ARCX in the super duper abbreviation requirements) and this means any upset, disagreement, dislike and so on.

Two little words then become a sort of shortcut to describe the vast array of real human emotions – they are squished and squashed into a box labelled “ARC” and equated with “understanding”.

I learnt about “ARC” at the age of 14, just when a young mind is starting to awaken to the wider boundaries of life. I was so excited while doing my first course (Personal Efficiency or PE Course) and felt that I had a head start on my poor peers left studying boring subjects at school, they would never be able to grasp the incredible truth that was being revealed to me. This is the point where you begin to really learn the ‘language’ and the start of the gradual disconnection from a normal life.

Talking the Talk of scientology (or any other cult) is a passport to a life of cognitive dissonance – a state of mind where you hold conflicting ideas simultaneously. When you are told something is “true” and your continued acceptance by the group depends on your acceptance of that “truth” - yet you feel that something is ‘not right’ somehow (i.e. you may have conflicting experience) – it is a very uncomfortable place to be. The easiest solution, given that you feel the benefits of such a group outweigh any other consideration, is simply to accept it. If you do this long enough then you can actually get to a place where you barely use logic and alternate viewpoints in your thinking as it is all supplied for you in a ready-made package. Accepting that package leads you to accepting a life as defined by the cult leader and it happens in such a way that you barely know it has happened.

Much of the jargon stops you thinking, and is designed that way. A great article on this is Thought Stopping by Jeff Hawkins and his follow-up article Thought Stopping on Steroids.

One of the hardest and also most rewarding things an ex scientologist can do is to re-learn normal vocabulary. I have been often told that “it is not necessary, as the jargon explains concepts that are exclusive to scientology”. Well that’s the whole point! Take any one of those exclusive concepts and write it out in plain English, it is an exercise that is guaranteed to start to shift some of the automatic thinking that using the jargon brings. Best to start with the smaller and more common words, such as “theta”, “ARC”, “Comm”, “2D” and so on. I will add that it’s not easy to do, at first, though well worth the effort.

It is such a wonderful thing to be able to truly make your own mind up about a subject without having to double think and translate into scientologese. Wonderful."

Free yourselves, people! :happydance:

Royal Prince Xenu

Trust the Psi Corps.
I'll admit I use it in the Scno context to mean non-Scno. I realize I wasn't exactly clear earlier. I am appalled at the word's origin, but know that when Scientologists use it they're not using it in any way against Asians.

That ErLron stole an anti-Asian slur isn't exactry sulplising since he said the plobrem with China is too many Chinks.

Personally, my favorite chinks are the one in Co$'s armor. :biggrin:

(Heh, even my smiley has slanted eyes)

Here, in Australia, the Lebanese/Greek culture have taken on the term WOG for themselves with no reference to $cn. Examples of this are Nick Giannopolous' productions of "Wogs out of Work" and "Wog Boys".

To speak to the larger issue of dropping the Scientology jargon altogether, or mostly expunging it from your life, I'll quote the wonderful Free to Shine. Taken from her blog, here: http://becomingfreetoshine.wordpress.com/2011/03/27/talking-the-talk/

"Talking the Talk (by Free To Shine) :)
March 27, 2011

The first thing a group with cult tendencies does is introduce a new and exclusive ‘language’ to describe concepts that are limited to that group alone. Scientology had a massive ‘dictionary’ to explain their jargon, which includes numerous abbreviations, totally new words and new meanings for normal everyday English words.

This new language gives a sense of inclusion, of being part of an elite group that can communicate certain concepts only to each other. It breeds a sense of safety and familiarity within the group and widens the divide to the ‘outside world’. After learning hundreds of new words, it in fact becomes a second language.

The first scientology word I learned was “ARC”. This is a made up word from the initials of the words Affinity-Reality-Communication. Without going into lengthy explanations, the idea is that you need to have all three concepts in alignment to lead to ‘understanding’. The term “ARC” is a very small word for a very large concept. It includes all sorts of emotions and substitutes for normal words such as liking, connection, love, empathy etc. The opposite of “ARC” is “ARC Break” (ARCX in the super duper abbreviation requirements) and this means any upset, disagreement, dislike and so on.

Two little words then become a sort of shortcut to describe the vast array of real human emotions – they are squished and squashed into a box labelled “ARC” and equated with “understanding”.

I learnt about “ARC” at the age of 14, just when a young mind is starting to awaken to the wider boundaries of life. I was so excited while doing my first course (Personal Efficiency or PE Course) and felt that I had a head start on my poor peers left studying boring subjects at school, they would never be able to grasp the incredible truth that was being revealed to me. This is the point where you begin to really learn the ‘language’ and the start of the gradual disconnection from a normal life.

Talking the Talk of scientology (or any other cult) is a passport to a life of cognitive dissonance – a state of mind where you hold conflicting ideas simultaneously. When you are told something is “true” and your continued acceptance by the group depends on your acceptance of that “truth” - yet you feel that something is ‘not right’ somehow (i.e. you may have conflicting experience) – it is a very uncomfortable place to be. The easiest solution, given that you feel the benefits of such a group outweigh any other consideration, is simply to accept it. If you do this long enough then you can actually get to a place where you barely use logic and alternate viewpoints in your thinking as it is all supplied for you in a ready-made package. Accepting that package leads you to accepting a life as defined by the cult leader and it happens in such a way that you barely know it has happened.

Much of the jargon stops you thinking, and is designed that way. A great article on this is Thought Stopping by Jeff Hawkins and his follow-up article Thought Stopping on Steroids.

One of the hardest and also most rewarding things an ex scientologist can do is to re-learn normal vocabulary. I have been often told that “it is not necessary, as the jargon explains concepts that are exclusive to scientology”. Well that’s the whole point! Take any one of those exclusive concepts and write it out in plain English, it is an exercise that is guaranteed to start to shift some of the automatic thinking that using the jargon brings. Best to start with the smaller and more common words, such as “theta”, “ARC”, “Comm”, “2D” and so on. I will add that it’s not easy to do, at first, though well worth the effort.

It is such a wonderful thing to be able to truly make your own mind up about a subject without having to double think and translate into scientologese. Wonderful."

Free yourselves, people! :happydance:

Is someone here calling someone wogs?
I use the term in my posts here sometimes, but it is always rhetorical, everytime, to highlight the great divide between scientologists, (sorry for that negative term, but that's what they call themselves, if they're brave enough) and those other things that are meat bods in the mud and have not yet been saved by Mankind's Greatest Friend, (or Fatfucker, as some might call him).

GreyLensman

Silver Meritorious Patron
Personally, I think it is the intention of how it is used that makes it offensive or not. Much like so many other words of it's ilk. If you are saying you need to get a wog job, or I am dating a cute wog, it is not the same as saying those f**king wogs are destroying the planet.

I really am not a fan of the politically correct mania that is going on, and the way it is making the language less expressive. The brouhaha about the use of the word niggardly is a good example of how idiotic it can get.

Mimsey

Actually, the term WOG was the first step in dividing "US" from "them". In even the benign usages above that division is inherent in the language.

LRH was a writer (of pulp) and he at least knew the power of word. This wasn't by accident and it was followed by "meat bodies" and eventually by "minions" and "broken pieces". There was a consistent intention to make less of the population around us, Scientologists. To divide us away.

So despite the benign contexts, the basic intention behind the word usage in Scio is control and division, and from that a sense great or small of betterness. It's a human failing, that desire for believing your group is more in the know and better than not-your-group...

Freeminds

Bitter defrocked apostate
How can being called a 'wog' by a Scientology victim be derogatory?

When I consider the alternative (mentally ill, fascist, liar, bully, pauper Hubbard apologist) I think it would be a much better thing to be a lifelong 'wog'.

Thank you, Ron! Hip hip hooray.

Lone Star

Crusader
Is someone here calling someone wogs?
I use the term in my posts here sometimes, but it is always rhetorical, everytime, to highlight the great divide between scientologists, (sorry for that negative term, but that's what they call themselves, if they're brave enough) and those other things that are meat bods in the mud and have not yet been saved by Mankind's Greatest Friend, (or Fatfucker, as some might call him).

Personally I proudly consider myself to be one of the woggiest Wogs around. I like to get woggy wid it. :biggrin:

How can being called a 'wog' by a Scientology victim be derogatory?

When I consider the alternative (mentally ill, fascist, liar, bully, pauper Hubbard apologist) I think it would be a much better thing to be a lifelong 'wog'.

Thank you, Ron! Hip hip hooray.

Y' got a point there. When it comes to insulting terms, the worse you get from them, the more delighted you should feel.

rhansrider

Patron with Honors
Even fifty years ago people cheerfully named their black dog or horse "Nigger". It was acceptable at the time. They didn't MEAN it to be offensive to anyone, but it certainly was and is. Intent really doesn't have a lot to do with how racial charged or negative a word is.

LRH knew what he was doing by making "wog" a term for Scientologist to call and think about non-cult members. By making outsiders less, by lumping them together as one inferior group he was making it easier to isolate cult members, and easier for them to be told lies about the "wog" world.

As someone on this thread said "If you wouldn't call a person a "nigger" or a "gook" don't call them a "wog". If that is too "politically correct" for you, get over it or you will go through life offending a lot of people.

hartley

Patron with Honors
If you want my opinion:

I think Ron picked up 'wog' during his WWII naval service, used for the inexperienced and ignorant with no racial overtones.
When he came to England he discovered the other, racist meaning. He accepted the 'Worthy Oriental Gentleman' origin explanation, as everyone did then and many people do in some form today. It is now believed to be wrong, since 'wog' predates 'backronyms', the practise of starting with a word and deriving initials that fit it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backronym

The Dictionary folk took 'golliwogg' as the origin because they missed the naval meaning of 'wog'. At present there is no consensus, could be 'pollywog' or 'golliwogg' as the root.

The joke for me is that the cultists keep repeating the false backronym explanation because they think they are covering up another example of Ron's unfortunate racist remarks when there is no need - he never meant it that way. Silly Scientologists!

So despite the benign contexts, the basic intention behind the word usage in Scio is control and division, and from that a sense great or small of betterness. It's a human failing, that desire for believing your group is more in the know and better than not-your-group...
You don't think that has anything to do with my being called an SP has resulted in my friends not deigning to talk to me do you? Though I don't think less of them, do you think they have demeaned me in their minds?

Well, I think it is high time we began a new campaign - "Don't call me an SP, you non-wogs"

Mimsey

Magoo

Gold Meritorious Patron
I always had the idea that in Scientology wog meant someone who does not have an desire for higher spiritual and ethical levels. Someone who is only interested in shopping at the mall, someone who is only interested in material things, who use credit cards, vote for his party wether right or wrong, someone who likes the status quo and it is content with being controlled by the goverment and the powers that be. A wog. I never thought of it as derogatory...

Hang on........you don't see the above as derogatory, or you're kidding?
"Someone who does not have a desire for higher spiritual and ethical levels"=derogatory
"Someone who is only interested it shopping at the mall, only interested in material things, credit cards"=derogatory totally!
"Vote for his party whether right or wrong"=not sure if derogatory. but seems like a put down
"Someone who likes the status quo" again, sounds derogatory to me as it's a HUGE put down of another person for a Scientologist
"Content with being controlled by the gov't and the powers that be" seems derogatory to me.
Let's look up "Derogatory"
"Meant to make someone of something seem lower or of less value; belittling"

Knowing how Scientologists feel about ALL of the above, they are most certainly derogatory---unless you're kidding.

Let me know which, please :biggrin:

Tory/Magoo

Magoo

Gold Meritorious Patron
Personally I proudly consider myself to be one of the woggiest Wogs around. I like to get woggy wid it. :biggrin:

Yeah.....but you're out of the trap, so sure, it's funny, and
not a put down. You KNOW when inside, it most certainly IS a put down.

I remember a finance guy came to speak one night after course, before it let out. He said:
"I don't like the word "wog" as it's invalidative. I prefer we just say
"Pre-Scientologists". At the time I liked that...as I never really liked the word "wog" and did feel it was derogatory.

Now? :puke2: Gack! They both suck! (Sorry to the Idies/Freezone/Scios "out"---when I speak of Scientologists, I'm referring to those still "in" C of $)

:biggrin:

TLC